Your opinion on gratuities, please

1 hour ago, Yaya_in_Oz said:

What about those that take off the tips and then don't tip anyone? Do Princess assume the staff are not handing in money? I'll stop there before I do my head in 😄.  Awful way to make a living.

I think people should do what they wish about tipping or not, it is up to themselves. I don't think we need to worry about who gets those tips, or how it is distributed once we pay the tips, or whether the staff or the cruise line is doing the right thing, that is for themselves to work out. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ondine said:

I wondered if auto tips are taxed in a different way to your cruise fare and maybe the company pays less tax.  Also if crew members are given money do they bank it on board because many do not get to go ashore.  Therefore they couldn't really hide tips.

I am happy to leave things as they are and tip my cabin steward and any others who look after me extra.  

I would assume that a few taxes being minimilised by supplementing staff wages with gratuities would include company tax, payroll tax and the staffs' personal income tax but then I am not an accountant or am up to date on other countries tax laws.

I just like to cruise and tips are part of the fare for me.

• Like 3

IMO, reducing the auto grat amount to pay cash to a few face to face service staff is reducing the pool amount that is shared among the behind the scenes staff. Please don't do it.

When I am cruising with auto grats I pre-pay and the staff know this. I don't pay any cash tips because the reward for excellent service is their job. And, if I come across those who appear to be going the extra mile, I make sure I mention it in the post cruise survey. Dining tables usually have the names of waiters and assistant waiters on them so I take a photo to help me remember.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Yaya_in_Oz said:

How does that work? The envelopes look the same, how would they know which ones come from the people who already paid the gratuities which the staff are entitled to keep and those which go back to the ship? All seems to be rather unworkable to me. Too much margin for errors.

They ask for your cabin number and write it on the envelope. Then the envelopes are checked against your booking to see whether you've removed the daily gratuities or not. If not the crew member gets the envelope back.

I was a bit miffed with RCI the last time I sailed with them. They changed to servicing staterooms only once a day just before our sailing and I insisted that this wasn’t the product I had booked and paid for. I was tempted to ask them to remove half of the stateroom attendant’s gratuity as they were only giving me half the service, so presumably they were looking after twice as many cabins, but I exercised self control and left things as they were. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

I was a bit miffed with RCI the last time I sailed with them. They changed to servicing staterooms only once a day just before our sailing and I insisted that this wasn’t the product I had booked and paid for. I was tempted to ask them to remove half of the stateroom attendant’s gratuity as they were only giving me half the service, so presumably they were looking after twice as many cabins, but I exercised self control and left things as they were. 

I wasn't too worried, as we only want the once a day service but I do specify that I would like it done in the am. Most times the stewards are fine with that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Each to their own but I always keep it low key and never tip at the beginning of the cruise as some people report they do, or on entering the restaurant or buffet which I have seen on a largely US-passenger cruise.

The Americans that tip up-front are making sure they get good service as the tipee knows to go the extra mile for them. Also on bus tours, to ensure they get the front seats 🥴

3 hours ago, arxcards said:

Not assume, but money does move in predictable patterns. It only gets complicated when we think of it in our own terms.

On a ship, a crew member with sticky fingers will be outed by those around them. Loyalty to their employer, not really. When money leaves the auto-grats payroll bucket and cash tips don't replace it, the bucket isn't as full. That bucket is shared among much of the service crew so they are all penalised, while the one hanging onto the cash is double-dipping.

Goodness you learn a lot on CC!    As most of our cruises are purchased in OZ I assume the gratuties are included but we always tip our cabin person and MDR people but I did notice that the Americans on our table did not!   They were more fussy than us with the food and  often asked for a change of meal!   It would have to be pretty bad for us to do that because I always think it is my fault if I ordered the wrong dish.  They know more than us how little staff are paid and they get cheap cruises!  Different ideas from different nationalities!

Eileen

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Jean C said:

The Americans that tip up-front are making sure they get good service as the tipee knows to go the extra mile for them. Also on bus tours, to ensure they get the front seats 🥴

It also raises the stakes, knowing they will be the first to complain if something isn't perfect.

We don't tip up front, but if we like the bar we will tip a few dollars with our bar service each day - much like when travelling the US, $1 per drink. Yes, I know that a service charge is added to the drink on a $US ship, but it really does change the level of service. Instead of being treated well, you are treated royally and never have to wait for service. Some would call it a bribe, but it is only a tiny amount of money, so it is like you have elevated the customer/server relationship.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

One thing that always gets me is how few people doing the traditional dining actually attend the MDR on the last night, almost like they are avoiding their regular waiters.

30 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Maybe they are busy packing!

Apparently that's quite common on USD cruises where the gratuities aren't included in the fare. I think it goes back to before they started charging daily gratuities.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jean C said:

In Australia that's called a bribe! If the staff aren't interested in treating passengers well, or if they are too busy to do so, then those problems should be addressed. Yes, I know that's not a realistic approach to expect things to be 'right' but it's true. It's a pretty bad situation if you have to buy decent service with a bribe.

• Like 4

The way I see it, whether the gratuities are prepaid, added daily or paid at the end, it is part of the fare and the way US companies work in advertising a cheap "deal" then making it up with added fees, taxes, gratuities and "extras". The staff still get paid the same and if they don't think their pay is sufficient, they would not be lining up for the job. If they don't perform and please the guests, they wouldn't keep their job for very long

• Like 4

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

They ask for your cabin number and write it on the envelope. Then the envelopes are checked against your booking to see whether you've removed the daily gratuities or not. If not the crew member gets the envelope back.

I've never come across that and I've done 10+ overseas cruises. I'll watch next time.

6 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I think people should do what they wish about tipping or not, it is up to themselves. I don't think we need to worry about who gets those tips, or how it is distributed once we pay the tips, or whether the staff or the cruise line is doing the right thing, that is for themselves to work out. 

I don't worry about tipping. I'm a bit of a left-brainer and like to understand how things work. I have a better understanding now of how things are meant to work but I don't have much faith in the system, too many variables. My next 4 cruises are in AUD so no gratuities and I'll just give a token thankyou amount.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, arxcards said:

We don't tip up front, but if we like the bar we will tip a few dollars with our bar service each day - much like when travelling the US, $1 per drink. Yes, I know that a service charge is added to the drink on a $US ship, but it really does change the level of service. Instead of being treated well, you are treated royally and never have to wait for service. Some would call it a bribe, but it is only a tiny amount of money, so it is like you have elevated the customer/server relationship.

Yes, on an all inclusive, including drinks, Hawaii luau (sp?) tour our bus driver advised people to put something in the tip jar when they went up to the bar and they'd get stronger drinks 🍹

I have been reading this thread with increasing anxiety. I am going on an Australian based cruise in a couple of weeks and I understood from the cruise line information I was given, that tips/gratuities are built in to the fare and I don't need to tip anyone at all - during or at the end of the cruise.

As a Kiwi, I feel very uncomfortable with the whole idea of tipping and would like to know if it's OK not to tip?
It was one of the reasons for choosing this cruise, to avoid (my) embarassment and discomfort at having to tip.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Korimako said:

I have been reading this thread with increasing anxiety. I am going on an Australian based cruise in a couple of weeks and I understood from the cruise line information I was given, that tips/gratuities are built in to the fare and I don't need to tip anyone at all - during or at the end of the cruise.

As a Kiwi, I feel very uncomfortable with the whole idea of tipping and would like to know if it's OK not to tip?
It was one of the reasons for choosing this cruise, to avoid (my) embarassment and discomfort at having to tip.

It is entirely up to you if you want to tip or not. Don't  worry especially about if your auto tips are already included.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2023 at 5:59 AM, lovedecruise said:

Hi, as we have previously sailed on cruises leaving Australia or NZ, we have had our gratuities included in the fare and have tipped those we felt deserved it at the end of the cruise.  On this cruise, however, we have a daily gratuity to pay that is added to our onboard account.  This is because the cruise is en route to Australia from the US, sailing through NZ, where we join the cruise.  When I was speaking to our Princess Cruise Planner, I was rather surprised when he said we could just take the tips off as that is what some Australians and NZ's do, and then tip those who deserved it at the end of the cruise.  The way he said it, it sounded as though this was almost the norm.  To those out there in Australia and NZ, what did you do when you found yourself in this situation?  I know tipping is a personal decision but I just wondered what others thought.

I simply don't tip - it's become a 'fall back' scam that cruise lines have simply used as an 'excuse'.  In the 'past' you may have left some $$$ for your room attendant, NOW it goes into some 'company bucket' without you knowing exactly where your 'gratuity' contribution goes "Oh we just add it to your bill - and it miraculously gets handed to your attendant".  Accepting this is just nuts.  What justification is there to provide a 'gratuity' based upon the numbers in a room ?? - so a room with 2 in it takes less time to 'clean' than one with 4 ?? (added do you really need your room attended to everyday ??) - throw in the number of 'rooms' this attendant might clean - x the number of days - and basically you are this persons' employer - as the company isn't paying them.

It's a bit rich for this line to 'add' this tip just for your section from NZ to AU

One can take time to see how tipping is out of control in the US - where you (the customer) are getting presented with a screen to 'tip' at various percentages - even before you've been provided with anything.  THIS is EXACTLY how you are being treated :  please 'pre-pay' before you actually get anything.  

It has become a 'guilt' trip now - where even for small purchases and drive thru

I am going to enjoy my Virgin Voyage next year without this gratuity scam 

If those that 'think' that auto tips being 'added' cheapens their cruise - maybe explain how Disney gets to charge a small fortune - and then nickel and dimes with those extra 'tips' ??

Edited by shireboi
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Korimako said:

Do not allow guilt to override your feeling of what is right. I'm sure that many feel guilt if they don't tip even if it's taken care of in the price you pay for the cruise.

1 hour ago, Korimako said:

There’s absolutely no need to tip extra. It’s already been taken care of as yet he gratuities are built into your fare. 

You are correct if you are taking an Australian based cruise with $AU account aboard (P&O, Princess, Carnival). It is also true for $US Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and likely NCL, where those service charges are built into your fare at the time of booking on a AU/NZ site.

So yes, if these are inbuilt into your fare or prepaid, there will be nothing added to your account each day, nor will there be an expectation to tip.

• Like 3

Simply - don't worry about tipping. It is quite OK. The crew on the Australian-based ships are on good remuneration and don't rely on tips to top up a low base salary.

The crew will not expect a tip. We have done literally dozens of cruises on Australian-based ships where the gratuities are built into the fare. At no time have we felt that crew expected a tip.

Just enjoy your cruise and don't even think about it.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, arxcards said:

I agree, more trouble than it is worth, most certainly in our culture. That is why we leave the auto-grats alone. It is also why we prefer to cruise on ships that have done away with their auto-gratuities.

But if you leave the auto-grats on, then I have the nagging thought that the stewards/waiters will be looking for another tip. I have yet to discover any staff onboard that has given me any service above and beyond what I believe to be their job. I dont really care what they are paid- that is none of my business- it's up to them and their employers what they are paid for their work. I feel no obligation to become an American when cruising.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1