New Princess charges

We don't use Room Service, but I am going on a cruise in January on the Coral Princess with my daughter and her family including three young children. I am sure she will want to use Room Service. We have two balcony cabins booked on the standard fare in January 2023.

I have read that there is a one-off charge of $24.99 to be able to order Room Service. Is this correct?

Is it correct that only one person in the cabin has to pay this as they can order whatever the people in their want?

There has been mention of $25 OBC being applied for cruises booked before the $24.99 cost was introduced. As we booked in January but on a standard fare, do we get this $25 OBC?

I have also read that there is a charge if Room Service is ordered via the phone. Is this correct? Is there a charge if it is ordered via the app?

I appreciate any assistance to answer the above questions.

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Maybe some or all of your OBC will be refundable. When we have had refundable OBC left over it has been paid into our bank account a few weeks after the cruise.

Thanks 😊 That’s what was supposed to happen, but it didn't. It all shows now as non-refundable 🙁. We've allocated $140 each to a debark tour and drop off to the airport for a late flight, will find something to use the remaining $150 each on - definitely won't let it go to waste! Might have to take up drinking, hehehe 🍻 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

We don't use Room Service, but I am going on a cruise in January on the Coral Princess with my daughter and her family including three young children. I am sure she will want to use Room Service. We have two balcony cabins booked on the standard fare in January 2023.

I have read that there is a one-off charge of $24.99 to be able to order Room Service. Is this correct?

Is it correct that only one person in the cabin has to pay this as they can order whatever the people in their want?

There has been mention of $25 OBC being applied for cruises booked before the $24.99 cost was introduced. As we booked in January but on a standard fare, do we get this $25 OBC?

I have also read that there is a charge if Room Service is ordered via the phone. Is this correct? Is there a charge if it is ordered via the app?

I appreciate any assistance to answer the above questions.

This is my understanding so far and I will leave it to others who already cruised on a standard fare to fill the gaps of my knowledge.

There is a one off activation fee on Ocean Now app. After which, all orders should be not include any additional fee beyond the prices on the menu. I am under the impression there is nothing stopping you from using it in your room. Room service is USD$5 per room telephone order (unsure the AUD rate).

I got children too and understand that they may want to sleep in. The hanger breakfast is still complimentary and you can get whoever is staying behind to look after the children to put out their order the night before. Alternatively, have the one that is going to stay with the children the most to activate the Ocean Now and you can put all your orders through that account.

As for the $25, I can confirm it from reading the forum is it per guest on standard fare. However, I have gone back and forth with them on this and can only bring the email up as evidence if it does not appear on boarding day. If all fails, I got 6 Australian ports to contact them and settle this.

4 minutes ago, Zetta83 said:

There is a one off activation fee on Ocean Now app. After which, all orders should be not include any additional fee beyond the prices on the menu. I am under the impression there is nothing stopping you from using it in your room. Room service is USD$5 per room telephone order (unsure the AUD rate).

Do the Room Service items have a per-item cost?

6 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I am trying to follow along this topic. 

so if you order anywhere on board via the app for delivery anywhere on ship as we have been doing, then this is charged delivery? Or is it only delivery to your room?

2 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Have not been on a Princess cruise, so this maybe misinformation. Room service with a USD$5 per room telephone order and any item off the menu that has a cost associated to will continue to be charged as before.

Example: The cheese platter, sushi rolls and pizzas will be individually charged.

Just now, Cbtours said:

I am trying to follow along this topic. 

so if you order anywhere on board via the app for delivery anywhere on ship as we have been doing, then this is charged delivery? Or is it only delivery to your room?

If you are on a standard cruise fare, there will be a one off charge and to use on subsequent orders. Will need someone already cruised on a standard fare to confirm if this extends to room location.

Just now, Zetta83 said:

If you are on a standard cruise fare, there will be a one off charge and to use on subsequent orders. Will need someone already cruised on a standard fare to confirm if this extends to room location.

We are in standard fare sailing March 2024. Clarify that if I order anywhere on ship apart from our room we pay activation fee or just if we call room service from cabin?

5 minutes ago, Zetta83 said:

Have not been on a Princess cruise, so this maybe misinformation. Room service with a USD$5 per room telephone order and any item off the menu that has a cost associated to will continue to be charged as before.

Example: The cheese platter, sushi rolls and pizzas will be individually charged.

I was surprised at your answer, but now you mention that you haven't cruised on Princess. 🙂I have done close to 50 Princess cruises but not since the latest charges have been introduced and that is the reason for my question..

Looking on the internet, the only Room Service items that are charged are pizza (always has been), cheese plate (don't know if it always was charged), Hummus & dip, Maki rolls, 8oz filet & fries. Specialty meals also have a charge.

5 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I was surprised at your answer, but now you mention that you haven't cruised on Princess. 🙂I have done close to 50 Princess cruises but not since the latest charges have been introduced and that is the reason for my question..

Looking on the internet, the only Room Service items that are charged are pizza (always has been), cheese plate (don't know if it always was charged), Hummus & dip, Maki rolls, 8oz filet & fries. Specialty meals also have a charge.

I really should stop answering. 🤫

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

Cheese platter, choc dipped strawberries, prawn plate- these are the sort of +$ items that have been available to pre-order via the personaliser, so it was natural they would carry a room service price as well.

Pizza always did have a delivery charge, but then they wanted people to use the medallion and they dropped the charge for a bit (for slices). Now they have added a dining charge to Alfredo's, they were always going to charge for pizza via room service again.

A question from above about only activating one Ocean Now delivery charge - that is entirely possible. For anyone on the newer packages, it is included and not an issue. However, if you are on the older packages, you wouldn't be able to order 2 espresso coffees to your room, as they would split one to each account as is the norm on drinks packages. We are going to trigger the charge on both our accounts, and use the service repeatedly to get some value out of it.

Phone ordering is priced per order, and is separate from Ocean Now - I think I read $7.95 for AU.

The only charge if ordering via the app is the $24.99 activation, plus the menu price if applicable.

Room service breakfast is N/C when ordered via the door knob card.

By wording of the email, you will get the $25pp OBC. However, the call centres and ships are saying it only applies to Plus/Premier packages purchased before 14th December. Passengers with the current versions of those packages have that charge waived, and a bit of dissatisfaction led to the earlier packages being partly compensated for the charging of Ocean Now & Alfredo's.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, arxcards said:

Cheese platter, choc dipped strawberries, prawn plate- these are the sort of +$ items that have been available to pre-order via the personaliser, so it was natural they would carry a room service price as well.

Pizza always did have a delivery charge, but then they wanted people to use the medallion and they dropped the charge for a bit (for slices). Now they have added a dining charge to Alfredo's, they were always going to charge for pizza via room service again.

A question from above about only activating one Ocean Now delivery charge - that is entirely possible. For anyone on the newer packages, it is included and not an issue. However, if you are on the older packages, you wouldn't be able to order 2 espresso coffees to your room, as they would split one to each account as is the norm on drinks packages. We are going to trigger the charge on both our accounts, and use the service repeatedly to get some value out of it.

Phone ordering is priced per order, and is separate from Ocean Now - I think I read $7.95 for AU.

The only charge if ordering via the app is the $24.99 activation, plus the menu price if applicable.

Room service breakfast is N/C when ordered via the door knob card.

By wording of the email, you will get the $25pp OBC. However, the call centres and ships are saying it only applies to Plus/Premier packages purchased before 14th December. Passengers with the current versions of those packages have that charge waived, and a bit of dissatisfaction led to the earlier packages being partly compensated for the charging of Ocean Now & Alfredo's.

Thanks for the info. 🙂I am sure there will be more discussion on this topic before our cruise in January.

Just now, Aus Traveller said:

Thanks for the info. 🙂I am sure there will be more discussion on this topic before our cruise in January.

Yep, I am keen to get into the nitty gritty of some of this on Saturday. A few grrr moments when they told us we were getting more via the addition of casual restaurants, then proceeding to charge for what used to be included. To quote another thread - Not happy Jan!

• Like 1

Just now, arxcards said:

Yep, I am keen to get into the nitty gritty of some of this on Saturday. A few grrr moments when they told us we were getting more via the addition of casual restaurants, then proceeding to charge for what used to be included. To quote another thread - Not happy Jan!

I look forward to hearing you report in due course.🙂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Are you Jan?:classic_tongue:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Zetta83 said:

If you are on a standard cruise fare, there will be a one off charge and to use on subsequent orders. Will need someone already cruised on a standard fare to confirm if this extends to room location

Just got back last week from a cruise on Grand Princess. The one off charge to activate the service was $14.99 (US dollars on that cruise). Once you paid it, it covered all deliveries. I ordered things delivered to my room, and I also ordered some food and drinks delivered to wherever I was on the ship, and that was covered.  Many choices were no charge, Some items had a charge, which was clearly indicated.  The drinks charges on the room service menu were lower than if you ordered the same item at a bar. I didn't keep a record, but I remember brewed coffee was $2 per cup room service charge, and once I ordered a glass of cranberry juice and it was $3.50.  I ordered the same thing in the dining room, and it got treated as a "mocktail", which was charged at $8.95.

The paper breakfast order menu is a separate thing. There was no charge for it at all. It had the usual juices, cereals, fresh fruit, bakery items like Danish or croissants, a breakfast egg/cheese/ham muffin (hot) and toast with spreads, plus tea and coffee. You choose your time, in half hour increments. It was always delivered promptly on time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

Just got back last week from a cruise on Grand Princess. The one off charge to activate the service was $14.99 (US dollars on that cruise). Once you paid it, it covered all deliveries. I ordered things delivered to my room, and I also ordered some food and drinks delivered to wherever I was on the ship, and that was covered.  Many choices were no charge, Some items had a charge, which was clearly indicated.  The drinks charges on the room service menu were lower than if you ordered the same item at a bar. I didn't keep a record, but I remember brewed coffee was $2 per cup room service charge, and once I ordered a glass of cranberry juice and it was $3.50.  I ordered the same thing in the dining room, and it got treated as a "mocktail", which was charged at $8.95.

The paper breakfast order menu is a separate thing. There was no charge for it at all. It had the usual juices, cereals, fresh fruit, bakery items like Danish or croissants, a breakfast egg/cheese/ham muffin (hot) and toast with spreads, plus tea and coffee. You choose your time, in half hour increments. It was always delivered promptly on time.

Thank you for your helpful information.🙂

Exciting news in my inbox yesterday. 

Your Ocean Medallion Order Receipt and Shipping Confirmation

WooHoo, awesome, green lane coming up.

Alas, fine print says it has been "shipped" to OPT for us to pick-up on Saturday. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

• 1 month later...
On 10/30/2023 at 5:30 PM, Zetta83 said:

The CLO (Customer Liaison Officer) responded with the same spill from the templated email. Therefore confirming standard cruise fare will receive the $25 too. Let's see if anyone with standard fare gets it. Else, I will let you know on the 10th of Dec and let you know

Currently on Majestic on a standard fare.

I'd also had the email about the $25 but it wasn't on my account.  Guest services checked with head office and it was applied.

@Zetta83 hope you'll get it as well 🙂

On 12/12/2023 at 9:06 PM, boeckli said:

Currently on Majestic on a standard fare.

I'd also had the email about the $25 but it wasn't on my account.  Guest services checked with head office and it was applied.

@Zetta83 hope you'll get it as well 🙂

Hi, we are on the same sailing. My wife and myself got it after much back and forth, but not the 3rd and 4th guest. I presented the email sent to me by the head office to guest services. It stated $25 OBC is for all guests in my cabin. Still no news. On the side note, see you around.

• Like 1

just a general comment on pricess extra charges, we were talking about how everything has gone up..

then to put it in prospective standard fare 7years ago. for a suite (melbourne- NZ return )

was around 10k to 11k for 2   and on boards cost about 1.3k

last trip a week ago around 8.5k for standard fare and on board costs 1.8k ( we didnt hold back )

so the overall cost it now less...    haing said that price for late 2024 (melbourne- NZ return )is 10.1k

Re room serve  when in Club Class (reserve collection now ) just ask wait staff for a to go cheese plater and carry it back to cabin  ( no cost and best cheese plater on ship )

so price go up, less is included, evyerybody is trying to make a quid

Cheers Don  with coffee

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I did P&O and carnival. This is my first on Princess and I know some inclusion have been removed. However, for $20 more pp pn, the quality of cruise is definitely still worth IMO. This holds true to even in my kids opinion. Plus the older crowd have been very sweet to my kids, which is a nice surprise.

• Like 3

We have the old plus package booked prior to December 2022. I can now see in our onboard credit total that it has had $50 added to it, which is obviously to activate our  medallions. I'm thinking we shouldn't have any issues unlike others have 🤞