New Princess charges

1 minute ago, arxcards said:

They did, but perhaps they are getting ahead of it now to stop people from ringing them up. We do have an extra $25 each that has gone on in the past few days. While it could be shares OBC, they are in my name and I would expect it would show as $50 to me instead of $25 each.

No email for me though.

If it is Shareholder OBC, you will see it stated as that. I have not received my $25, so I do not know how it will be labelled (e.g. Goodwill now you can eat pizza - $25).

Seeing your sail is the 4th of Nov, makes sense they do it ahead of time for you.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zetta83 said:

When are you cruise off? I thought they mentioned only added on day of sailing.

Not until April. There is a extra $25 each showing on travel summary, saying GUEST ON BOARD CREDIT, so presumably that what it is!

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Zetta83 said:

If it is Shareholder OBC, you will see it stated as that. I have not received my $25, so I do not know how it will be labelled (e.g. Goodwill now you can eat pizza - $25).

Seeing your sail is the 4th of Nov, makes sense they do it ahead of time for you.

Ours is also Guest Onboard Credit of $25 each. This differs to the booking OBC which is Onboard Credit Promotion.  Both credits are non-refundable.

• Like 1

I got back from a Princess cruise a few days ago. The charge for room service for me was a one off of $US14.99.  I was solo in a balcony cabin. Don't know if the charge would double for two people.  I used it a lot on the cruise, so I think I got my money's worth. The room service breakfast via the form you fill out and leave on your door handle at night was a free service.

• Thanks 2

Our next cruise is in December and we received an extra $25 OBC per person a few weeks ago, well before we got the email (just today) so knew nothing as to why we got the extra $25 when we received it. We'll take it though - it all helps.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2023 at 5:39 PM, Zetta83 said:

They should just grandfather everyone before the change. Otherwise, where is the line drawn? E.g. Tomorrow they can change it to "All standard fare are only allowed to dine at the buffet for only 1 hour in sequence of your deck."? 🤣

Please, please don't give them ideas!!!!

• Haha 3

I sailed this past week on the Grand Princess, and have recevied the email for the so called 'onboard "AU/NZ regional spending credit" of AU $25' for standard fares due to the nickel and diming changes which was supposed to be issued on the first day of sailing. Nothing came through, went to customer service on the second day (waited around 45 minutes to get served, being the third in line) and they knew nothing about this, and tried to argue that the credit was only for Plus packages (it was clearly not). Said they would send an email to head office. I have since disembarked and never heard from them again. 

My advice: Don't expect to get this credit, despite the email, or ask them about it as soon as you board and hope for the best. It was not worth my time to line up another 45+ minutes to get a non-answer. I am aware that the customer service staff onboard are likely powerless to do anything about this.

Tangentially, they really should put more front desk staff on during sea days. Even the dedicated 'Suite and elite' line was well past the shop entrance on the second sea day. Saw more than a few exasperated passengers dealing with the front desk (more than one audibly exclaimed how disappointed they were 😛 ), and understandably (we are only human) this negatively affected the customer service staff and some interactions with the front desks were curt and borderline confrontational. Typos on disembarkation information and timing of disembarkation forms added to confusion of customers (for a 5 night cruise, we were asked for disembarkation preferences on the first day after embarkation, with the wrong location for disembarkation printed, and they required the forms to be handed in to the front desk in person, with nary a drop box and couldnt be given to your steward) all of which culminated in quite a frustration experience dealing with the customer 'service' team. 

I don't blame the humans who work there, I do blame the poor management.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zetta83 said:

Same. Tempted to contact Princess. As it seems to be a hit and miss.

Do you have a plus or premier package purchased prior to Dec 13 2022?

It seems there is conjecture on a similar thread that the ship is saying it was only for those older packages in lieu of the current packages having it.

In either case, printout the email. If the above was their intention, they were wrong sending the email to all passengers. 

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

Do you have a plus or premier package purchased prior to Dec 13 2022?

It seems there is conjecture on a similar thread that the ship is saying it was only for those older packages in lieu of the current packages having it.

In either case, printout the email. If the above was their intention, they were wrong sending the email to all passengers. 

I am on a standard, hence should not be affected by when I booked. I received the email and read it as such. Well, I can push for it, but may not be worth my time for $25 x 4 passengers.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, fixi said:

I sailed this past week on the Grand Princess, and...

Tangentially, they really should put more front desk staff on during sea days. Even the dedicated 'Suite and elite' line was well past the shop entrance on the second sea day. Saw more than a few exasperated passengers dealing with the front desk (more than one audibly exclaimed how disappointed they were 😛 ), and understandably (we are only human) this negatively affected the customer service staff and some interactions with the front desks were curt and borderline confrontational. Typos on disembarkation information and timing of disembarkation forms added to confusion of customers (for a 5 night cruise, we were asked for disembarkation preferences on the first day after embarkation, with the wrong location for disembarkation printed, and they required the forms to be handed in to the front desk in person, with nary a drop box and couldnt be given to your steward) all of which culminated in quite a frustration experience dealing with the customer 'service' team. 

I don't blame the humans who work there, I do blame the poor management.   

That was ridiculous, 2000 people getting off and you couldn't drop the form anywhere, had to line up in massive queues to give it to a customer service person.  I was on that cruise and the line was always long 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Zetta83 said:

I am on a standard, hence should not be affected by when I booked. I received the email and read it as such. Well, I can push for it, but may not be worth my time for $25 x 4 passengers.

Just print out and highlight that last paragraph and take it with you. The email definitely covers for all passengers booked on standard fares, although I believe they haven't written it as intended and that is why it isn't matching who is actually receiving the $25.

The argument that led to the credit was - there was no charge for using Ocean Now when we booked! That wouldn't be true for bookings made after 27th July, the date they announced their latest tinkering of plus/premier packages as well as the addition of Ocean Now charges and changing free eateries to "casual" eateries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I am very curious as to why some are credited with and some are not even while on board and I contacted the Live Chat. 

The first thing she said was that I am not entitled to the OBC as I bought a standard cruise fare. This is false as the email clearly stated standard cruise fare as well.

She then backpaddled and said it is for purchases before 14 Dec and I bought my 31 Jan. I highlighted again this is not true as purchases refer to the Plus/Premier bundles bought before 14 Dec; which is of a different price. Furthermore, if I am not entitled to the OBC, why was I sent the email then?

So she said there is nothing she can do except give me the feedback email to Princess to pursue the matter. 

Once again, seems like a drag for 4 x $25 OBC (which ultimately goes back to them), but I have emailed them and waiting for a response. Originally, I wanted to spend how I normally do and pay the excess on top of OBC. Now out of spite, I feel like just spending whatever OBC I get and stop after. $400 + 2 specialty vouchers should be enough for a 12 days without excursions.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Zetta83 said:

So I am very curious as to why some are credited with and some are not even while on board and I contacted the Live Chat. 

The first thing she said was that I am not entitled to the OBC as I bought a standard cruise fare. This is false as the email clearly stated standard cruise fare as well.

She then backpaddled and said it is for purchases before 14 Dec and I bought my 31 Jan. I highlighted again this is not true as purchases refer to the Plus/Premier bundles bought before 14 Dec; which is of a different price. Furthermore, if I am not entitled to the OBC, why was I sent the email then?

So she said there is nothing she can do except give me the feedback email to Princess to pursue the matter. 

Once again, seems like a drag for 4 x $25 OBC (which ultimately goes back to them), but I have emailed them and waiting for a response. Originally, I wanted to spend how I normally do and pay the excess on top of OBC. Now out of spite, I feel like just spending whatever OBC I get and stop after. $400 + 2 specialty vouchers should be enough for a 12 days without excursions.

A total mess, that even when applied doesn't compensate for the loss of inclusive restaurants like Alfredo's.

All the feedback to Princess, apart from pulling out a bone-headed move trying to convince us we were getting more, was that the T&C from the time of booking be applied to those already booked (grandfathered). We get the OBC, but I paid $85 each per night to get a package that now comes with the Ocean Now charge, and a charge anytime we want to eat at Alfredo's. Similar to what you are suggesting, we just won't be dining at Alfredo's - full stop. A lose lose situation. Although I expect to be fobbed-off, I will be having a brief discussion with the Captains Circle host.

I am negotiating with my wife as to whether we can drop the $65 plus package for our 57 night 1/2 world cruise in 2025. Pity is that it is a good deal, but we can connect to internet a couple of days per week, share 1/2 bottle of vino each night at dinner, and otherwise have drinks one night per week. We don't need any of the other bloat that is on the current packages.

• Like 2

$65 X 57 night is 3.7K. Personally, I will feel less pressure spending the $3.7K ala carte than trying to seek value for the package:

- Beverage package => I can drink a glass max a day, but will fall sick after a week. Mostly we drink tea or water due to the amount of sugar we consume as part of the cruise.

- Desserts => Max once a week, shared. Besides, just go for MDR ice-cream or swirls. 

- Fitness class => The stairs and gym are there. Also, if we do not consume too much of the first two, we will be fine. There are also free classes beyond the paid ones.

- 2 casual dining => It was free previously... Just saying. Also, 2 meals in 57 days is a drop in the ocean for value. 

- Ocean Now| Room delivery => Once again, previously free.... But maybe it is a good thing. If I need to go get my own food and I might reconsider that extra slice of pizza. And if I still do, I will have to walk for it.

-Wifi => Cruise mate. Ditch the internet. If you go to shore, use it by all means.

All in all, personally packages do not make any sense for me. I recommend all to calculate if it does for you. And if it is of a couple of dollars value to you. I encourage all to think about their health. 

Finally, I must say, I left P&O to try Princess for all the bells and whistles it had. The gap between the two is diminishing. 

Edited by Zetta83
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Zetta83 said:

$65 X 57 night is 3.7K. Personally, I will feel less pressure spending the $3.7K ala carte than trying to seek value for the package:

- Beverage package => I can drink a glass max a day, but will fall sick after a week. Mostly we drink tea or water due to the amount of sugar we consume as part of the cruise.

- Desserts => Max once a week, shared. Besides, just go for MDR ice-cream or swirls. 

- Fitness class => The stairs and gym are there. Also, if we do not consume too much of the first two, we will be fine. There are also free classes beyond the paid ones.

- 2 casual dining => It was free previously... Just saying. Also, 2 meals in 57 days is a drop in the ocean for value. 

- Ocean Now| Room delivery => Once again, previously free.... But maybe it is a good thing. If I need to go get my own food and I might reconsider that extra slice of pizza. And if I still do, I will have to walk for it.

-Wifi => Cruise mate. Ditch the internet. If you go to shore, use it by all means.

All in all, personally packages do not make any sense for me. I recommend all to calculate if it does for you. And if it is of a couple of dollars value to you. I encourage all to think about their health. 

Finally, I must say, I left P&O to try Princess for all the bells and whistles it had. The gap between the two is diminishing. 

Our justification is somewhat different.

I agree on some of those. Otherwise I  consider we know our own health and when we can have a drink or an extra slice of pizza. We are also different in the point that without being able to stay in touch electronically, there is no way we would be able to cruise for 2 months.

So it comes down to paying $130 up front for inclusions we will use without chasing the benefit, or being "economical" for the cruise and bringing it down to around $90 for the sake of making a point. 

We left P&O for the unchanging stodge on a plate menus. That gap with Princess is expanding year on year.

The CLO (Customer Liaison Officer) responded with the same spill from the templated email. Therefore confirming standard cruise fare will receive the $25 too. Let's see if anyone with standard fare gets it. Else, I will let you know on the 10th of Dec and let you know

3 hours ago, Zetta83 said:

17 minutes ago, Zetta83 said:

The CLO (Customer Liaison Officer) responded with the same spill from the templated email. Therefore confirming standard cruise fare will receive the $25 too. Let's see if anyone with standard fare gets it. Else, I will let you know on the 10th of Dec and let you know

What a way to "p?" off customers for $25!  I think Princess has lost the plot of customer relations.  

• Like 4

We're standard fare cruisers and although we originally booked before December, with repricing earlier this year we were given new booking numbers, so I guess we won't get the $25 anyway.

After our last cruise we were each entitled to $50 refundable on board credit. Keith received his but I didn't.  It was the principle of the matter, I contacted them again and again, being fobbed off with "it's been paid out" - it hadn't.  After nearly a year I started calling them every 2 days until eventually I received an email saying they could see I hadn't received it, they would pay it out as OBC on our upcoming cruise together with $150 extra OBC each to  Keith and I. So ... it pays to be a thorn in their side and stand your ground.

Ironically, together with OBC we already had, and our simple style of cruising, we'll now be scratching our heads on how to use it all up!

PS, both family members who are cruising with us have upgraded to the Plus package - it cost them more than half the original standard fare to upgrade - but they feel they'll get value from it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jean C said:

We're standard fare cruisers and although we originally booked before December, with repricing earlier this year we were given new booking numbers, so I guess we won't get the $25 anyway.

After our last cruise we were each entitled to $50 refundable on board credit. Keith received his but I didn't.  It was the principle of the matter, I contacted them again and again, being fobbed off with "it's been paid out" - it hadn't.  After nearly a year I started calling them every 2 days until eventually I received an email saying they could see I hadn't received it, they would pay it out as OBC on our upcoming cruise together with $150 extra OBC each to  Keith and I. So ... it pays to be a thorn in their side and stand your ground.

Ironically, together with OBC we already had, and our simple style of cruising, we'll now be scratching our heads on how to use it all up!

PS, both family members who are cruising with us have upgraded to the Plus package - it cost them more than half the original standard fare to upgrade - but they feel they'll get value from it.

Maybe some or all of your OBC will be refundable. When we have had refundable OBC left over it has been paid into our bank account a few weeks after the cruise.