Cruisin’ Ducks on HAL ships?

alwayscruisetime

We were just introduced to this phenomenon on a Royal Caribbean ship, and while I see lots of posts on the official Facebook from guests on RCI and Carnival cruises, I’m wondering if it’s a thing on Holland America?  While i understand that it may only be the cruise lines that have more kids that tend to participate, the adults were really enjoying it on board this cruise, too. We’ll be on a month-long cruise over Christmas and New Years and wonder if we should bring some ducks to hide?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience!

1 minute ago, VMax1700 said:

poker chips are part of the circular economy.....you get them, then you give them back!

That is how the ducks are supposed to work. You find them, sign them then hide them again.  They aren’t supposed to be a take home souvenir 

Edited by Mary229

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

That is how the ducks are supposed to work. You find them, sign them then hide them again.  They aren’t supposed to be a take home souvenir 

I just don't see the point of it.  

When on a ship, the only place a duck should be, is on my plate, preferrably with some orange sauce, but crispy roast from Tamarind is an adequate substitute 😉

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

I just don't see the point of it.  

When on a ship, the only place a duck should be, is on my plate, preferrably with some orange sauce, but crispy roast from Tamarind is an adequate substitute 😉

I don’t disagree!

We have found & hidden ducks on HAL ships.  The tag usually says something along the lines of "keep or hide, you decide."  So yes, they can be taken home as a souvenir.  There have been a few we kept & a few we have re hidden.  Adults gets just about as much fun out of it as the kids do.  On NS earlier this year, I wanted our server to put one on our table for my DIL.  She said " oooh, I collect those ducks too."  So we later made sure she got one.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Will anyone admit to just throwing the ducks away? 

Why do that, when any child & some adults would enjoy having the duck.  If you notice a duck & don't want it, just leave it or give it to the next child you see.  We have even seen ducks that are knitted or crocheted.  It is my wish to find one of those handmade ducks.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Never found one but if I did I would rehome them to Carnival or NCL via my travel agent. 

There is even a group that does the duck hiding on land.  Saw a car at a Walmart that had several ducks lined up on the dashboard.  A bit overkill, but to each their own.

Edited to add: a young girl started the duck hiding thing in order to bring kindness & happiness to others.  

Edited by Banditswife

1 hour ago, Banditswife said:

Why do that, when any child & some adults would enjoy having the duck.  If you notice a duck & don't want it, just leave it or give it to the next child you see.  We have even seen ducks that are knitted or crocheted.  It is my wish to find one of those handmade ducks.

It was a 'yes' or 'no' question. I take it you are a 'no'? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Banditswife said:

A child is the last thing I want to see on my cruises 😉 .  I have no interest in finding or hiding ducks, but if others enjoy it, so be it.  I hope it never gets out of hand with more & more stuff getting left/hidden all over the ship. One thing I've liked about HAL from the beginning was the classic design/decor of the ships.  Rubber duckies don't enhance that for me.

Sue/WDW1972  

24 minutes ago, wdw1972 said:

A child is the last thing I want to see on my cruises 😉 .  I have no interest in finding or hiding ducks, but if others enjoy it, so be it.  I hope it never gets out of hand with more & more stuff getting left/hidden all over the ship. One thing I've liked about HAL from the beginning was the classic design/decor of the ships.  Rubber duckies don't enhance that for me.

Sue/WDW1972  

Don't get overly excited. We will be 5 stars this next cruise and have seen maybe 4 ducks during that time. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Don't get overly excited. We will be 5 stars this next cruise and have seen maybe 4 ducks during that time. 

I'm not worried - only 4 stars but only saw a duck once. I actually thought it was trash someone left on one of the pieces of art in an elevator foyer and when I went to remove it to throw it away I saw it was a duck with a tag from the original owner.  A friend has a jeep and ducks are a big jeep thing so that's where it ended up 😉

Sue/WDW1972

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, wdw1972 said:

...only saw a duck once. I actually thought it was trash someone left on one of the pieces of art in an elevator foyer and when I went to remove it to throw it away I saw it was a duck with a tag from the original owner.

Just the sort of thing I was wondering about. 

• Like 1