Any News From HAL About Upgrading Entertainment ?

mcrcruiser

5 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

I’m sure one of these days we will give HAL another go as we are also 4 Star Mariners and had some great cruises with HAL but for the time being we continue sailing with Celebrity and Princess.

If all goes well on that April 2025 cruise, their 28-day Alaska cruise to Nome has our attention as well. 😂

The 20% penalty for booking a Celebrity cruise with a refundable deposit really irked us, as we usually book 2+ years ahead of time. However, Princess for us still has pretty green pastures and nice longer itineraries, as we’re just finishing one now. 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

That cruise cost us about $400 per passenger day (for an all-inclusive suite) although prices have since increased (big time). 

I'd certainly enjoy cruising on a more upscale line but for us, HAL fits our retirement budget and allows us the opportunity to knock off our bucket list efficiently. (Interpret that as "upscale lines are too expensive for us")

When I do the business case on the higher end lines and then add up my HAL fare plus my tours and tips and onboard expenses, etc. I am always better off financially w/HAL (or other "mass market" mid tier lines....or whatever category you call it)

I agree there are more upscale lines than HAL that offer much better experiences but the value of HAL fits us nicely (Interpret:  we can afford it)

Food & Entertainment are excellent on HAL....IMO (Interpret:  We love HAL for what we get for our $$$)

Savor the journey........no matter how much $$$$ or what cruise line you sail (Interpret:  Glad we all have choices)

• Like 11

49 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

I'd certainly enjoy cruising on a more upscale line but for us, HAL fits our retirement budget and allows us the opportunity to knock off our bucket list efficiently. (Interpret that as "upscale lines are too expensive for us")

When I do the business case on the higher end lines and then add up my HAL fare plus my tours and tips and onboard expenses, etc. I am always better off financially w/HAL (or other "mass market" mid tier lines....or whatever category you call it)

I agree there are more upscale lines than HAL that offer much better experiences but the value of HAL fits us nicely (Interpret:  we can afford it)

Food & Entertainment are excellent on HAL....IMO (Interpret:  We love HAL for what we get for our $$$)

Savor the journey........no matter how much $$$$ or what cruise line you sail (Interpret:  Glad we all have choices)

You express our own cruise dilemma.  Since we are frequent cruisers (100 days a year is not unusual) we are always faced with the economic realities.  Accordingly, we have found that doing a mix of mass market lines (often in basic balcony cabins) and luxury lines (generally in the lower category suites) works for us.  But, recent price increases (and general inflation) is causing is to reexamine our future options.

A very important issue, for us, is value!  In cruising, value does not mean inexpensive, but rather bang for the buck.  Until recently, we thought that HAL (along with Princess) offered the best bang for the buck.  But after our last HAL cruise, DW and I thought HAL's "bang" had mostly fizzled.  As long time HAL fans, we can often overlook small issues, but we found negative issues (on the Westerdam) were just too routine.  And what was even more disturbing was that HAL seems to have an attitude of "we could care less" about legitimate issues.  No question, HAL still has some decent pricing (especially in the basic Veranda and below categories) but once we look at larger cabins (such as Signature Suites) it gets interesting.  HAL is a nickel/dime cruise line so we must factor-in things like Internet, tips, drinks, etc.   HAL is still less expensive than lines like Seabourn, but on SB (and other luxury lines) one gets a lot more quality (and amazing space-ratios) for the extra money.  As a rule, we spend no more than another $100 per day for a lot more quality (in all areas).

We recently booked a 14 day Caribbean cruise on Silverseas (we still like to do one Caribbean cruise per year).  The itinerary is amazing (even for the Caribbean), the total cost per day is about $330 per person day, and with SS that means all-inclusive with even shore excursions tossed in the mix.  It was an amazing deal (one does need to shop around) and a no-brainer booking.  Consider that its on a ship with fewer than 400 passengers with high-end cuisine, unlimited drinks/Internet, etc. and in a suite!  If we were to book the N. Amsterdam (at the same time) in a SS with the HIA package, our total savings would be about $1000 or about $35 per passenger day!  Is Silverseas worth $35 more per passenger day over HAL?  Truly a no-brainer!   And this is just one example of what one can find (by shopping around with an open mind).  And by the way, if one were to add the included shore excursions into the mix, the Silverseas cruise is actually less expensive than that HAL cruise!  Go figure.

The reason I post all this info is to simply stimulate thinking.  Many HAL cruisers are wedded to the line, only deal with their PCC, and really have little clue about the competition.  Many just assume that they cannot afford to splurge on a luxury or premium line, but they might be shocked if they truly learn how to shop around and take advantage of some decent high volume cruise agencies.  In the past 2 years there has been this wonderful "window" where some deal on high quality luxury lines are much better values than any of the mass market lines in even the lowest cost suites.  I do see signs that the "window" is closing as the luxury lines are now imposing some major price increases (whether they are later forced to offer deals is a question).  But experience has shown me that when one window closes (in the cruise industry) there are other windows that open.  We shall see.

Hank

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Me, either.

While I like dancing in shows, I don't feel the Step One shows are what I'd call "big" entertainment.  More like a dance studio recital.

To be fair, it's not that I don't enjoy the Step One shows. I just feel they are not the equivalent of a production show. They are one nice component of a varied programme of events for the main theatre, which (IMO) should include guest acts, a core set of singers, dancers and musicians who can mount production shows, and specialty acts like Step One and Cantare. 

Also, while everyone may not agree, I think showing movies during prime evening show hours in the main theatre is a cop-out and should be avoided at all costs. Afternoon movies -- great. Late night movies -- fantastic. Prime time? No.

In short, HAL is lacking an entertainment ANCHOR.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Exactly how my wife and I feel. Additionally, we don't feel any line can touch the quality of the live bands HAL has performing nightly on their pinnacle ships BB King and Rolling Stone venues. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I think showing movies during prime evening show hours in the main theatre is a cop-out and should be avoided at all costs. Afternoon movies -- great. Late night movies -- fantastic. Prime time? No.

Exactly.  In fact movies shown in prime time seem to have quite a few people taking a nap during them.  In my experience.

23 hours ago, Roz said:

This is what I posted after my Alaska cruise on the Noordam:

• The contract and affiliate fees for Lincoln Center Stage, America's Test Kitchen, Rolling Stone Lounge, etc., along with port fees and taxes, are increasingly expensive.  HAL hopes to bring back LCS and ATK in some form, but they will be called something different.  
  • Production shows and a ship band (remember the HAL Cats?) will be gradually brought back.  One of the obstacles to doing this is that the musicians and performers that appear in the World Stage, Rolling Stone Lounge, and Billboard Onboard onboard can't perform in other venues according to the terms of their contract. 

What is "mild music", and how old ARE you?  Anyone born from the late 1940s on up was raised on rock 'n' roll.  🤪

Thanks for sharing.

On 11/3/2023 at 3:12 PM, Roz said:

Anyone born from the late 1940s on up was raised on rock 'n' roll.  🤪

Born in the mid-50s and love the Rolling Rock lounge *but* if they had a good swing band on the Main Stage every night, that is where I’d be.  I’ll always take a good rendition of Glenn Miller’s Moonlight Serenade or String of Pearls over any ZZTop.

• Like 2

I always run to look at the upscale lines to see the value when posters say they get great deals. They must be sailing in a different category of cabin than I do. I have cruised since 1991 and I am over the production shows so it is itinerary driven for me. I am sure I would  get better food and service on an upscale line. I just don’t want to pay the price. It is great there are so many lines to choose from. My next two cruises are on HAL for itinerary and I have enjoyed past HAL cruises. I will continue to shop around to get to the places I want to go and pick which line works best for me. Happy cruising. 

• Like 4

On 11/3/2023 at 12:12 PM, Roz said:

Anyone born from the late 1940s on up was raised on rock 'n' roll.  🤪

Well, sort of,  my parents played big band music A LOT when I was growing up.  I find my music appreciation tends to be from the late 30s to about early 70s.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Reagan0712 said:

Born in the mid-50s and love the Rolling Rock lounge *but* if they had a good swing band on the Main Stage every night, that is where I’d be.  I’ll always take a good rendition of Glenn Miller’s Moonlight Serenade or String of Pearls over any ZZTop.

3 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Well, sort of,  my parents played big band music A LOT when I was growing up.  I find my music appreciation tends to be from the late 30s to about early 70s.  

Sorry, I was born in 1952, graduated high school when Queen, Led Zepplin and Elton John were just coming on the scene, and that is are basic type of music we enjoy listening to. Well, we do enjoy listening to a good singer singing Whitney Houston songs. Then there’s Phantom of the Opera songs. But to be really honest, we’re good with any music released from Elvis Presley on! 😁

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

My parents played big band music too, but it's not my preferred music genre.  I'm finding more and more that HAL doesn't suit my cruising style.  I need something with more activity and energy. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ken the cruiser said:

Sorry, I was born in 1952, graduated high school when Queen, Led Zepplin and Elton John were just coming on the scene, and that is are basic type of music we enjoy listening to. Well, we do enjoy listening to a good singer singing Whitney Houston songs. Then there’s Phantom of the Opera songs. But to be really honest, we’re good with any music released from Elvis Presley on! 😁

Me too!  Graduated from HS in 1970.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hlitner said:

You express our own cruise dilemma.  Since we are frequent cruisers (100 days a year is not unusual) we are always faced with the economic realities.  Accordingly, we have found that doing a mix of mass market lines (often in basic balcony cabins) and luxury lines (generally in the lower category suites) works for us.  But, recent price increases (and general inflation) is causing is to reexamine our future options.

A very important issue, for us, is value!  In cruising, value does not mean inexpensive, but rather bang for the buck.  Until recently, we thought that HAL (along with Princess) offered the best bang for the buck.  But after our last HAL cruise, DW and I thought HAL's "bang" had mostly fizzled.  As long time HAL fans, we can often overlook small issues, but we found negative issues (on the Westerdam) were just too routine.  And what was even more disturbing was that HAL seems to have an attitude of "we could care less" about legitimate issues.  No question, HAL still has some decent pricing (especially in the basic Veranda and below categories) but once we look at larger cabins (such as Signature Suites) it gets interesting.  HAL is a nickel/dime cruise line so we must factor-in things like Internet, tips, drinks, etc.   HAL is still less expensive than lines like Seabourn, but on SB (and other luxury lines) one gets a lot more quality (and amazing space-ratios) for the extra money.  As a rule, we spend no more than another $100 per day for a lot more quality (in all areas).

We recently booked a 14 day Caribbean cruise on Silverseas (we still like to do one Caribbean cruise per year).  The itinerary is amazing (even for the Caribbean), the total cost per day is about $330 per person day, and with SS that means all-inclusive with even shore excursions tossed in the mix.  It was an amazing deal (one does need to shop around) and a no-brainer booking.  Consider that its on a ship with fewer than 400 passengers with high-end cuisine, unlimited drinks/Internet, etc. and in a suite!  If we were to book the N. Amsterdam (at the same time) in a SS with the HIA package, our total savings would be about $1000 or about $35 per passenger day!  Is Silverseas worth $35 more per passenger day over HAL?  Truly a no-brainer!   And this is just one example of what one can find (by shopping around with an open mind).  And by the way, if one were to add the included shore excursions into the mix, the Silverseas cruise is actually less expensive than that HAL cruise!  Go figure.

The reason I post all this info is to simply stimulate thinking.  Many HAL cruisers are wedded to the line, only deal with their PCC, and really have little clue about the competition.  Many just assume that they cannot afford to splurge on a luxury or premium line, but they might be shocked if they truly learn how to shop around and take advantage of some decent high volume cruise agencies.  In the past 2 years there has been this wonderful "window" where some deal on high quality luxury lines are much better values than any of the mass market lines in even the lowest cost suites.  I do see signs that the "window" is closing as the luxury lines are now imposing some major price increases (whether they are later forced to offer deals is a question).  But experience has shown me that when one window closes (in the cruise industry) there are other windows that open.  We shall see.

Hank

I hate to say it but that careless attitude is something I started to notice more and more.

9 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Hank we respect your input , I think if you surveyed the afforability index of the typical HAL cruiser you would find that the high end lines are generally  out of reach   because of their price structures for equal cabins  .Not every one wants or desires a a suite ,even a lower end one regardless whether it is affordable or not  .

The point here is what works for you does not work for others . Example ,if my DW was able to fly I would try  the Icon of the Seas in a ocean balcony or perhaps a balcony over looking one one of their neighborhoods . YjHere is so much entertainment value on these immense ships that is what draws the huge crowds .Yet ,you do not feel squeezed ///our daughter & husband were on the  prior huge RCL ship ,wonder of the SEas  & commented it was fantastic ,My daughter is 68 & my son in law id almost 63 .  Additionlly ,they can easily afford any suite on any ship cailing .so Hank ,although it works well for you not every one is of the same mind set 

Cliff

When I started sailing on HAl, they had the Adagio trio playing classical. They did not have the name of the Lincoln Center, but they were excellent. There is no reason they can't go back to that. There was always ballroom music to dance to, and there was usually  steel drums playing by the rear pool. Andno, playing a movie in the main theater doesn't count. You used to be able to check out movies from a list of 1000 or more movies. Now you are stuck with the limited selection on the TV. The libraries are gone. The candied ginger is gone. There used to always be excellent lectures, too. That only cost them a free cruise. I guess it doesn't matter if Lincoln Center was well received - it was too expensive, so its gone. I won't keep sailing with no entertainment at 200% as a solo. I get much better value from land travel now. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sambamama said:

When I started sailing on HAl, they had the Adagio trio playing classical. They did not have the name of the Lincoln Center, but they were excellent. There is no reason they can't go back to that. There was always ballroom music to dance to, and there was usually  steel drums playing by the rear pool. Andno, playing a movie in the main theater doesn't count. You used to be able to check out movies from a list of 1000 or more movies. Now you are stuck with the limited selection on the TV. The libraries are gone. The candied ginger is gone. There used to always be excellent lectures, too. That only cost them a free cruise. I guess it doesn't matter if Lincoln Center was well received - it was too expensive, so its gone. I won't keep sailing with no entertainment at 200% as a solo. I get much better value from land travel now. 

yes & there is so much yo see & do on land trips . Norwegian has a single  cabin price ..if you were inclined . 

2 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

yes & there is so much yo see & do on land trips . Norwegian has a single  cabin price ..if you were inclined . 

As you've said, we are all different. As a solo cruiser, NCL would be very low on my list of cruise lines that I would consider for several reasons:

On NCL dining with others in MDR is not encouraged, in fact, I'd say it's almost discouraged. And NCL diners on the whole seem to prefer eating only with their traveling companions. This isn't ideal for a solo traveler who doesn't want to eat alone every night.

Also, I have found that as a solo traveler, I tend to like the smaller ships -- you end up meeting the same people over and over and have a chance to get to know others. On larger ships I've had many frustrating encounters where you meet an interesting person or couple once, then never see them again during the course of the cruise.

• Like 3