Liveish MS Rotterdam Partial Panama Canal, November 12-24

rafinmd

@rafinmd I hope you are enjoying the cruise.   I admire you and hope this won’t be your last adventure.  I am enjoying reading your blog. I will be in South America in February so I decided to go back and read your posts from the Grand SA on the Prinsendam.  This is what you wrote on 2/15/2019.  “I’ll take my parting shot from the walk. There was one old guy I passed a couple of times who was moving very slowly, I would say hobbling along. Seeing him took me back to one of the classic bible stories. My reaction was that like the widow who dropped 2 small coins in the basket he was he was walking although it was not easy for him and his walk was at least as significant as for any of the people for whom there was little need to put effort into the walk. To borrow from another story, “Well done, good and faithful servant”.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Well, I can't say I'm either surprised or disappointed but the Captain announced a change in our itinerary.  We will still go through the locks into Gatun Lake on Sunday but there will not be a stop there to let passengers off for shore excursions and we will not be visiting Colon that evening.  This is due to safety and security concerns due to continuing demonstrations in Panama.

Roy

• Like 8
  • Thanks 9

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Well, I can't say I'm either surprised or disappointed but the Captain announced a change in our itinerary.  We will still go through the locks into Gatun Lake on Sunday but there will not be a stop there to let passengers off for shore excursions and we will not be visiting Colon that evening.  This is due to safety and security concerns due to continuing demonstrations in Panama.

Roy

While safety should always be #1, it is disappointing to mix ports and planned excursions. I was fortunate to do the Gatun Lake small boat excursion just at the restart and it was quite memorable. 

Continued safe travels.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

While safety should always be #1, it is disappointing to mix ports and planned excursions. I was fortunate to do the Gatun Lake small boat excursion just at the restart and it was quite memorable. 

Continued safe travels.

Not really a disappointment to me.  I have done most of the tours and was looking at going back through the locks a second time.

Still, a disappointment to some, and especially to the people of Panama.

Roy

• Like 7

8 hours ago, mafig said:

When is the Club Orange party?

Club Orange party or Orange party?  I'm sure there will be one but haven't seen any reference to it in the Navigator.  Here's what's left so far:

18 Cartagena:  With a 1:30 sailaway I thought a possibility but it isn't in the program.

19: Panama Canal: Doubtfull

20: Puerto Limon: Full port day

21: Sea day and dressy-I think a good chance

22: Montego Bay- conceivable with a 2PM departure

23: Sea day -I don't think likely the last night

Roy

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Club Orange party or Orange party?  I'm sure there will be one but haven't seen any reference to it in the Navigator.  Here's what's left so far:

18 Cartagena:  With a 1:30 sailaway I thought a possibility but it isn't in the program.

19: Panama Canal: Doubtfull

20: Puerto Limon: Full port day

21: Sea day and dressy-I think a good chance

22: Montego Bay- conceivable with a 2PM departure

23: Sea day -I don't think likely the last night

Roy

Sorry - I meant Orange party.

4 minutes ago, BetsyS. said:

Roy - Are there plans for a turkey dinner on Thanksgiving? I hope so.

I'll see when the time comes but I expect there will be.  I was a bit disappointed that my last Crystal Cruise did not have that on Canadian Thanksgiving (and we were then in Canada).

Roy

• Like 4

Friday, November 17. 2023. At Sea, MS Rotterdam

friday.jpg

I was up about 5:30.  Sunrise came about 6 and I was able to view it from the aft lido deck looking almost forward.

dawn1117.jpg

I had a couple of slower than expected meals in Club Orange.  I love raisin bread toast but seldom have it at home.  At breakfast I ordered bacon and “raisin toast if you have it, otherwise an english muffin”.  The bacon came out promptly but there was a wait for the rest of the order.  Turns out they did not have raisin bread in stock but sent someone up to the Lido to get it.  I think worth the wait.

There was a presentation on the Panama Canal at 10.  I think this is the first of the truly scripted presentations I have seen, last year on the Eurodam they seemed more spontaneous.  It ran about 75 minutes and probably could have been done in 40.  I did learn some new things but it seemed to dwell on the trivia more than the key points.  Particularly disappointing was that there was a quick reference to the new locks that we will use, but nothing about how they work or what to see when going through them.  Just before the presentation Captain van Dreumel came on the PA indicating that due to demonstrations in Panama tours from the canal are cancelled and we would simply go through the locks to Lake Gatun, and come out when directed to do so by the canal authorities.  I was not planning any tours so this does not bother me but I pray for an improving situation in Panama.

After leaving the presentation I headed up to the top of the forward elevators.  On one side they go all the way to the top where there’s access for a 360 degree view at various points, although there’s about a 20-foot section forward that is blocked off.  I dropped to deck 12 (there is no 13) and walked through the Crow’‘s Nest.  I saw the Steven Card painting somebody mentioned but did not feel it appropriate to photograph it.  I noted near the center of the Crows Nest reminders of the previous 2 Rotterdams, a model of Rotterdam 5 (I’ve seen 3 of these now) and the bell from Rotterdam 6.

oldrdam.jpg

I was not well positioned to hear Captain van Dreumel’s noon update but I did catch that we had been traveling at a higher speed than required and we could now make our port sailing about 11 knots.

Lunch was an eclectic mixture of milk, mashed potatoes, and Key Lime pie.  I spent much of the afternoon quietly in my room.

I was down at Club Orange a little after 5.  When I sailed MS Prinsendam a baked Macaroni and Cheese dish was frequently served in the lido and it was a favorite of mine.  I noticed it was on the Club Orange menu and I decided to try it along with Gourmet Greens and ice cream.  The salad came quickly but not the entree.  After a while a staff member let me know it was still cooking.  I did ask for a cup of decaf while waiting but the entree arrived just a little after the decaf.  It was as good as I remembered it.  It is also served in the lido but from a ladle and the baked crust adds a lot to the dish to my taste.  It seemed like a long wait but I was actually only there about an hour.

I had a quiet evening after dinner.  

dishes17.jpg

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

It's a shame that the talk on the Canal didn't include how the new locks (Agua Clara Locks) work.  My guess is, as you pointed out, the presentation is scripted and designed to encourage excursion purchases, one of which likely takes you to the view point over the locks, where you do learn how they work.  It is an intricate system of reservoirs next to the locks themselves and is all gravity driven like the original locks.  Tugs are used instead of the "mules" to move and hold vessels in place and rolling locks instead of the hinged lock system are used.  Pretty neat to watch the operation of them.

Continue enjoying your cruise Roy and thanks for the effort here!

Edited by 0bnxshs
  • Like 9

Roy, can you please advise if Edgar is still the maitre d' in Club Orange AND if he will be aboard for the December 3rd sailing??   He was so kind to me last year when I was going through chemo treatments and had no appetite. Would love to see him again.

Thanks for the great review of your experiences on the Rotterdam.  Enjoy your cruise!!

• Like 2

Saturday, November 18, 2023, Cartagena, Colombia

saturday.jpg

I was up about 5:30.  I went up to the sky deck (14 forward) at what I thought should be sunrise but there was nothing in evidence.  I did get what I thought was a nice view of the top of the ship.

skydeck.jpg

We pulled up to a very short dock in Cartagena about 7, across from National Geographic Quest which was just finishing a voyage and disembarking guests.

quest.jpg

After breakfast in Club Orange I headed ashore about 9.  It would not be a long foray and the heat was already starting to get to me.  There is a shuttle to the cruise terminal and one was waiting. 

There is a wildlife display on the terminal grounds and I caught a couple of interesting birds on the way into the building.  The building was a range of shops and I did buy a pair of sandals which I do not normally wear but they seem well fitted to my trips to the hot tub. 

termnalentry.jpg

I returned on the shuttle about 9:30.  On the way back to my room I detoured up the elevator to deck 7 where I found the 3rd model of Rotterdam 5.

model3.jpg

I headed up to the hot tub about 10.  About the time I left my cabin a call was made for the weekly crew drill.  This one was quite a production, billed as a fire and mass casualty incident at the Main Stage.  It was quite elaborate including a call for certified emergency medical personnel to make themselves known to guest services.  The situation continued to worsen with a simulated call to abandon ship by 11.

All Aboard was 1:30.  Captain von Dreumel came on the PA indicating we were ready to leave and the First Officer would be at the controls.  Not sure what he was thinking but he must not have looked out the window.  A double line was backed up all the way from the gangway to the bow of the ship waiting to board.  He came back with an update about 20 minutes later and there was a tour still out.  After that group one final couple came flying in on a shuttle 5 minutes after the bulk of the tour arrived.  While there was much fanfare on the horn I saw the first signs of actual movement about 2:20.

moving1.jpg

A few minutes later I could actually see water between us and the dock and we were on our way.

moving2.jpg

I was at Club Orange shortly after 5.  My choices for the evening were Classic Caesar Salad, Parmesan Crusted Veal Loin, and Ice Cream.

dishes18.jpg

I had a very low key evening and was in bed promptly by 9 with an early start planned for the canal on Sunday.

Roy

• Like 21

On 11/9/2023 at 10:18 AM, iflyrc5 said:

From a discussion with an officer on the Rotterdam last year the ship was modified during construction that allows the life boat structure to rotate in several feet which then allows the ship to go through the old locks.  We are on this cruise twice in Jan/Feb 2024.  I am hoping that we get to do one through the old locks so I can see this process of rotating the structure in for clearance and one time through the new locks since we have not seen them.

Currently on the Rotterdam. We were told we can only go through the new locks. The lifeboats are in line with the balconies that jut out so I think he was mistaken. 

20231119_154554.jpg

• Like 5