Liveish MS Rotterdam Partial Panama Canal, November 12-24

rafinmd

Thursday, November 30, 2023, Viera, Florida

I was on the road about 10:30.  The drive to Viera (near Melbourne) was supposed to be about 2 3/4 hours but between traffic backups in the Fort Lauderdale area, lunch, and a few toilet stops it was about 2 when I arrived at the Avid hotel.  

avid.jpg

This is the area where my brother lived his last few years and his widow picked me up about 6 for dinner at the restaurant at their gated community.  We shared news (she had just taken a new job) and a nice dinner before I headed back to the hotel,

It was not until 10 that I finally got to bed and I again slept well until a little after 6.

Roy

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Arrived home about an hour ago.

Roy

Welcome home. It's been quite a ride for you. Less so for all of us following along, and who care how you are doing. 
Now, rest and relax. And get thee to your own doctor as soon as reasonable. 

Best wishes. 

• Like 6

Saturday,  December 2, 2023,  Return Home

I started to stir about 5 and was out of bed about 5:30.  There’s mostly a continental breakfast served, raisin bran, milk, and a banana.  It felt to me we were running late but we were still classified as on time for our 10AM arrival.  Most of the northern part of the route follows the course of the Potomac, and it was quite foggy most of the morning and continuing until I was actually home.  

The last significant town before Lorton is Ashland, VA and Cruise Critic member Heartgrove “caught” my train on the webcam there about 8:15, first the locomotives, then coaches (not sure if mine is pictured or not) and finally the car carriers..

coming.png

coaches.png

autocars.png

It was 9:48 when we entered the yards at Lorton, first stopping briefly as the auto cars were disconnected and then continuing forward to our final position.  At 9:59 the auto carriers came past my window on the way to the loading ramps.  Clearance to disembark came at 10:03, and I made my way down to the platform with an ample supply of luggage trolleys.

trolley.jpg

Unlike Sanford car 5247 was stationed right next to a station entrance.  Fortunately, also, the temperature was about 50 so there was no need for a heavy coat.  Soon after I entered the first of the 30 priority cars was called.  Unloading of regular cars started about 10:30 and my number 78 came about 11:15 and I was ready to head north.  Traffic was heavy but nowhere near as bad as the drive from Hollywood to Viera, and I made some business stops along the way before heading home. 

I walked in my door just after 2.  Unpacking everything and getting to normal will still take time, especially since there are doctors visits coming.  My cardiologist actually called while I was checking in for the train and I have her first available appointment.

Roy

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

roy,

glad you had a good arrival at your house.  and glad to know that your doctor followed up with you and that you have an appointment to see her.  let us know what she tells you, please.

i can understand how you feel about cruising solo, but i think its too early to make that decision.  just take your time recuperating and see what your doctor recommends to do.

take care of yourself first.  what flavor ice cream did you buy on your way home?

• Like 2

On 12/3/2023 at 11:03 AM, lcand1923 said:

YYYAAAYYYYY!!!  You are safely home!

Hope you had a good night’s sleep in your own bed.

Call your Primary on Monday to get an appointment and start the round of 

doctor’s visits to get thoroughly checked.

Not as good as I would like but it is what is.  I see my primary Friday morning and cardiologist a week from Wednesday.

Roy

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Not as good as I would like but it is what is.  I see my primary Friday morning and cardiologist a week from Wednesday.

Roy

Roy,  Since we are in the month of December, I think you did pretty good getting an appointment with your Primary this week and your Cardiologist next week.  Take your time unpacking and settling in at home.  Rest up for those appointments.

• Like 2

Roy, I couldn’t agree more just rest up for your appointments and the time goes by very very quickly and you are lucky to get both of the appointments this month since so many people book appointments the last month of the year to make sure their appointments qualify for their insurance this year. You’re a lucky man. 

• Like 2

Roy - Congratulations on the Ravens win!🥂😊 I would like to make a prediction 

about 2/11/24, but I won't do it because I don't want to jinx my favorite team.

Best wishes for your appointment on Wednesday.

• Like 1

I didn't actually watch the game but wow, what an ending.

My primary visit Friday had not a lot unexpected.  He did order some tests and the results came just in time for the Cardiologist today.  I was quite pleased with that visit.  While the condition is still there the symptoms and test results are much better.  She adjusted 2 of my medications and is adding another.  It's very expensive but I a fortunate to have great insurance.  We postponed visits I had in January  to February.

I am more concerned with my PSA which is rising.  There will be a pretty steady string of medical appointments with no end in sight.  The good news is that nothing is painful.

Roy

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1