Liveish MS Rotterdam Partial Panama Canal, November 12-24

rafinmd

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Did you bring some Orange clothing Roy? I know you’ll have the ship rocking at the party!😁

I do but will not be at the party as I'll likely be headed to bed by then.

15 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Koningsdam did transit the canal westbound on April 11, 2020:

IMG_2491.jpeg

IMG_2490.jpeg

There was that one time but it was special circumstances and without passengers.  I don't expect to see either Koningsdam or Nieuw Statendam to go through the canal in service.

Roy

• Like 4

Wednesday, November 22, 2023, Montego Bay, Jamaica

wednesday.jpg

I was surprised that I slept until 5:45.  I caught the sun coming up over the lido about 6:30. 

dawn1122.jpg

I prepared a final bag of laundry before setting out to Club Orange for breakfast, French Toast and Bacon this morning.

For the first time of the cruise my room had not been made up when I returned from breakfast, and when the time came I waited out on the balcony.  It was extremely hot on the sunny side of the ship and my stewards were quick to help me back into the room when they were done.

The weekly drill for this week began about 10, and was quite extensive, continuing I think until almost 11:30.

It was after 12 when I went up to the Lido for lunch.  The carvery station had a very nice lamb that tasted great but the Lido was packed; apparently I went up just as many tours were returning.

In the afternoon I got a start on my packing although only a little stuff was truly packed.  Things I will still use on the ship are still in the closets and I have 2 large bags, one for things I will not use until I get home and another for things I will access on the road. In the other.  Once things come back from the laundry packing will become more organized.

All aboard was 1:30 and I went out on the balcony (now shaded) for a last look at Montego Bay.  I don’t think there was anything of interest anywhere near the port.

lastlookmontego.jpg

There were a number of tours and stragglers arriving well past 1:30 and I finally saw water between us and the ship just after 2.  While it is less than 500 miles to Fort Lauderdale we must sail over 700 to make our way around Cuba.

homeward.jpg

Dinner at Club Orange was Classic Caesar Salad (no dressing or anchovies as usual), Chicken Parmigiana, and Strawberry Ice Cream.

dishes22.jpg

The Orange Party was held in the BB King Blues Club but I did not stay up.

Roy

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, USC Adventurer said:

thanks for today's commentary, roy..  so i guess you have one more day at sea and then arrive in ft lauderdale on friday morning, right?  when does the car train leave for maryland?  safe travels and enjoy the ice creams.

I leave Tuesday arrive Wednesday.

Roy

• Like 6

Thursday, November 23, At Sea, MS Rotterdam

thursday.jpg

I was up about 5 but did not leave my cabin until almost the time the Lido opened at 7.  I thought I could catch the sunrise from my balcony but got just a bit of color as we were following the Cuban coast and the angle for sunrise was not good.

After breakfast we had On Deck for A Cause at 9, a 5K non-competitive walk to raise money for Ukraine.  I did not actually walk this year but was there for the sendoff.

walkstart.jpg

After the first lap was done I did a token walk from midship to the forward elevators.

lap1done.jpg

Lunch was milk and fries from Dive-In.  In his noon update Captain von Dreumel indicated we had

sailed 429 miles since leaving Montego Bay and needed 19kt to arrive in Fort Lauderdale on time.  The temperature in Fort Lauderdale will be 76 with a chance of rain.

My final and Thanksgiving dinner in Club Orange was Chilled Apple and Carrot Soup, Baked Honey-Ham, and Apple-Cranberry Crisp.

dishes23.jpg

I put the bag out about 7:30 and continued work on my carryon stuff.

bagout.jpg

Roy

• Like 15

Just now, rafinmd said:

Currently at a Panera killing time before heading to the hotel.  Checkin is at 3 and I’ll arrrice early afternoon but nowhere near this early.  On an IPAD but at least one with a keyboard so it’s a bit easier than hunt and peck with a finger.

Roy

• Like 4

Friday, November 24, 2023, Disembark MS Rotterdam, Fort Lauderdale, FL

friday.jpg

I was up just about 5 and on my balcony for the final sail-in to Port Everglades.  My final meal on Rotterdam was a ham omelet and toast.

lastmeal.jpg

The sun came up over the port while I was eating.

dawn1124.jpg

My disembarkation window was 8:00 to 9:30 and I had originally thought 9 but decided I needed extra time and left with thanks to Gus and Aires about 8:20.  I was probably not up to the amount of walking required, but got to the luggage ok and rested for a while on my big bag before calling for a porter.  Unlike previous years there was no cut through for porters and we walked through the maze but the facial recognition re-entry was very easy.  It was a longer walk to the car than I expected but my porter waited patiently while I took a break, about 3/4 of the way.  We made it up to the elevators and my car was close by, he stowed my bags and I hope my gratuity was up to his kindness.  I was out of the garage about 9:15.

I’m at the Comfort Inn and Suites South in Dania.  Checkin was at 3PM and I stopped at a Panera South of the hotel to kill some time.  I made it to the hotel about 12:30 and of course the room was not ready and the lobby was quite crowded but I did get some work done on my laptop.  

The desk clerk was quite accommodating and called out to me that a room was ready about 1:45, and I started unloading the car.

I left a little before 5 for a stop at Publix and dinner, returning about 6:15.  I definitely felt the stress of the day and pretty much crashed about 8, but did not actually end up in bed until about 9.

Roy

• Like 13

thank you for your commentary on your final day daparting the ship.  did you book any future cruises while you on board the rotterdam?  do you have future cruise booked with any cruise line?  i hope so because i really enjoy reading your adventures on these cruises and viewing your photographs.  enjoy south florida for a few days.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, USC Adventurer said:

thank you for your commentary on your final day daparting the ship.  did you book any future cruises while you on board the rotterdam?  do you have future cruise booked with any cruise line?  i hope so because i really enjoy reading your adventures on these cruises and viewing your photographs.  enjoy south florida for a few days.

At this time I do not.

Roy