Uber/LYFT/ Ride share in Australia and NZ

Yehootu

Figured I'd ask in this forum as I assume most here are from Australia or NZ. How easy is it to get a ride share in Sydney to the CBD or at any of the port cities in both Aus and NZ? What is the cost comparison to taxi's?

Mahalo

It is very easy.  However in most of the port cities in Australia there is very good public transport in the CBD, often free.  Cost comparison to taxis depends on the time of day and demand.   When there is surge pricing taxis are cheaper but harder to find.  If you are staying in the middle of Sydney it is easier and cheaper to use the airport train and then either walk or catch the light rail to the port.

• Like 1

We used Uber when we disembarked from our trans-Pacific cruise in Sydney last year. From memory, the fare to the airport was only a little more than it would have been for the two of us as those airport trains are pricey. Uber drivers were lined up waiting at the cruise terminal on that day. 
We don’t use them often but we’ve found Uber cheaper than a taxi. But this could have changed recently. 🤷‍♂️

As Cruisey said above, Ubers are cheaper unless there is a surge fare at the time. Our taxi companies also have an app that offers quotes and then fixed price booking so it's easy to compare. I'll let someone else chime in for the best taxi companies in other cities but in Brisbane they are Yellow Cabs and Black & White Cabs, if Uber prices are too high. Other rideshare companies here are Didi or Ola.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Users tend to be the best options in most places, except for when demand sky-rockets and the surge pricing kicks in. 

Which ports are you looking at, then we can add advice to suit.

Sydney, Brisbane and Auckland. From the airport to the Grace Hotel, In Brisbane to Lone Pine Koola, and in Auckland to Kelley Tarltons.

5 hours ago, Yehootu said:

Sydney, Brisbane and Auckland. From the airport to the Grace Hotel, In Brisbane to Lone Pine Koola, and in Auckland to Kelley Tarltons.

A public bus from Auckland CBD runs along the waterfront to Kelly Tarltons. If you're fit, mobile and not afraid of a bit of a walk, it would be a very pleasant stroll. You can also continue the bus from there to Mission Bay, a popular city beach, fab views and really good cafes and restaurants.

The Grace hotel is located between Town Hall and Wynyard stations, and as the train incurs the $15 pp airport fee, bringing the fare to about $20 pp, I suggest a taxi or Uber. It will be easier with your luggage and most likely around the same cost or just slightly more, depending on the time of day and traffic.

The tram on George St (one block east) will take you to Circular  Quay easily when going to board.

Brisbane's port is a fair way out, a cab, or uber may be best there if you cannot organise a ship shorex.

• Like 1

We are planning to do to Lone Pine Koala by cab also.  Rome to rio is a good website to use to see transportation routes and costs.  Our cruise line doesn’t offer this as an excursion and I can’t find a private tour that the times will work for.  So we think a cab is the best plan or may use Uber. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We are planning to do to Lone Pine Koala by cab also.  Rome to rio is a good website to use to see transportation routes and costs.  Our cruise line doesn’t offer this as an excursion and I can’t find a private tour that the times will work for.  So we think a cab is the best plan or may use Uber. 

It would be better to travel independently to enjoy the animals before the crowds on bus tours. 

• Like 2

In NZ, it really depends on the port.  I've taken Ubers in Auckland and Christchurch - they are fine.  They have had some issues in Dunedin, with cars masquerading as Ubers when they are not.  My daughter lives there and she is not keen on Uber there.  

Be careful in downtown Auckland, there have been multiple instances reported in the paper of cars which look like they belong to taxi companies (with a lighted taxi sign on top etc) but who are not affiliated with any taxi company.  They have taken tourists for a ride both literally and metaphorically.  They pick up tourists (and locals) and charge exorbitant rates for short distances.  There is no taxi company to complain to, so they generally get away with it.

When I'm travelling in Auckland I either use Uber or call a taxi using the app of a company I am familiar with.

I live in Tauranga and Uber here can be jolly expensive.  I am more likely to use a taxi (which is also jolly expensive).  Not much competition in the market here.

4 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

It would be better to travel independently to enjoy the animals before the crowds on bus tours. 

Absolutely agree. Honestly I would grab an uber from the Brisbane port straight to Lone Pine to beat the bus loads. I'm guessing that Uber might be around $50ish AUD each way??

@Yehootu

There is still a boat trip the goes there from Brisbane City. Details of the boat trip posted below. You can also use public transport from the City, https://lonepinekoalasanctuary.com/getting-here/.

Mirimar Cruises have been taking locals and visitors to Lone Pine for over 70 years. Jump on board and enjoy a scenic cruise up the Brisbane River, before disembarking at Lone Pine for a day of wildlife discovery.

Mirimar II (75-minute cruise):

Depart Cultural Centre Pontoon, Brisbane 9:00 AM
Arrive Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary 10:15am

Return trip:
Depart Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary 1:30 PM
Arrive Cultural Centre Pontoon, Brisbane 2:45pm

*Currently operating on select days only, and subject to availability.

For information and to book, contact Mirimar Cruises:
Ph: 0412 749 426
Email: info@mirimarcruises.com.au

Edited by mum and son
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, mum and son said:

Absolutely agree. Honestly I would grab an uber from the Brisbane port straight to Lone Pine to beat the bus loads. I'm guessing that Uber might be around $50ish AUD each way??

@Yehootu

There is still a boat trip the goes there from Brisbane City. Details of the boat trip posted below. You can also use public transport from the City, https://lonepinekoalasanctuary.com/getting-here/.

Mirimar Cruises have been taking locals and visitors to Lone Pine for over 70 years. Jump on board and enjoy a scenic cruise up the Brisbane River, before disembarking at Lone Pine for a day of wildlife discovery.

Mirimar II (75-minute cruise):

Depart Cultural Centre Pontoon, Brisbane 9:00 AM
Arrive Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary 10:15am

Return trip:
Depart Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary 1:30 PM
Arrive Cultural Centre Pontoon, Brisbane 2:45pm

*Currently operating on select days only, and subject to availability.

For information and to book, contact Mirimar Cruises:
Ph: 0412 749 426
Email: info@mirimarcruises.com.au

Thanks for the info.  Unfortunately our ship doesn’t get into Brisbane until 8 a.m.  By the time we clear and are allowed off, and get to the meeting point for the river trip, it would be after 9.   But we will take your advice and simply Uber there and back.  The cost is reasonable especially compared to some ship excursions.  

Our ship is stopping at many places where they simply aren’t offering excursions.  This is perhaps because that port only gets a few ships that call there.  We are coming up with a plan at each of those but will be open to see if anything is offered by locals too. Esperance and Exmouth are an example of those.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Thanks for the info.  Unfortunately our ship doesn’t get into Brisbane until 8 a.m.  By the time we clear and are allowed off, and get to the meeting point for the river trip, it would be after 9.   But we will take your advice and simply Uber there and back.  The cost is reasonable especially compared to some ship excursions.  

Our ship is stopping at many places where they simply aren’t offering excursions.  This is perhaps because that port only gets a few ships that call there.  We are coming up with a plan at each of those but will be open to see if anything is offered by locals too. Esperance and Exmouth are an example of those.

Suggest you hire a car from Esperance and drive to Cape Le Grand National Park, 63 klm drive south east of Esperance and visit the beautiful Lucky Bay,  It has the most glorious sand beach and turquoise water.  Kangaroos come onto the beach around dusk and dawn.  In September the wild flowers are abundant. We have camped at Lucky Bay and I consider it one of the most beautiful camping spot in Australia.     

We are less then 90 days for 2 of them, doing a B3B starting February 2 from Sydney on Brilliance, then around Australia.  

I will keep checking, even onboard.  But I like to have a somewhat plan so time in port isn’t wasted on a trip like this.  

Cape Le grand sound beautiful.  Maybe we’ll meet an Australian couple on board who we can share car cost with.  

28 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We are less then 90 days for 2 of them, doing a B3B starting February 2 from Sydney on Brilliance, then around Australia.  

I will keep checking, even onboard.  But I like to have a somewhat plan so time in port isn’t wasted on a trip like this.  

Cape Le grand sound beautiful.  Maybe we’ll meet an Australian couple on board who we can share car cost with.  

You may connect with someone on your roll call.  If one not available you could start one. 

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Suggest you hire a car from Esperance and drive to Cape Le Grand National Park, 63 klm drive south east of Esperance and visit the beautiful Lucky Bay,  It has the most glorious sand beach and turquoise water.  Kangaroos come onto the beach around dusk and dawn.  In September the wild flowers are abundant. We have camped at Lucky Bay and I consider it one of the most beautiful camping spot in Australia.     

Lucky Bay is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. We met a tour operator there who said some of his customers stand there with tears in their eyes looking at the beauty of the place.

23 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Lucky Bay is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. We met a tour operator there who said some of his customers stand there with tears in their eyes looking at the beauty of the place.

We are so lucky in Australia to have so many free beaches available to everyone.  

• Like 1