How strict are they about size of bottled water?

Sun Lover

I’m going on Wonder tomorrow and just purchased 8 bottles of water to put in my carryon.  I didn’t realize until a few minutes ago that the bottles are supposed to be under 17 ounces.  I bought 20 ounce bottles.  Will they not allow me to bring them on board?

I'd give you a 50-50 chance of getting them onboard.  If these water bottles really matter to you, stop by the store and pick up more on the way. 

If they were more of an "Eh, this'll be nice to have" thing, pour out the water and bring one EMPTY bottle for each person in your party.  Refill onboard.  The water is perfectly safe and tastes fine.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sun Lover said:

I’m going on Wonder tomorrow and just purchased 8 bottles of water to put in my carryon.  I didn’t realize until a few minutes ago that the bottles are supposed to be under 17 ounces.  I bought 20 ounce bottles.  Will they not allow me to bring them on board?

Port Canaveral has been strict in our experience.

My experience and opinion is they are more concerned about are the sealled and do they bubble if shook.

I'm mostly wine and even now with 2 bottles (there are 2 of us but how do they know that) no one says anything and no one looks at the bottles.

1 hour ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

Personal experience? Which port(s)? 

My personal experience at Port Canaveral, Ft Lauderdale, Tampa and Civittavechia (all since the pandemic) is no one cared.  I usually carry at least 3 bottles, all 1.5 liter, in my carryon. Has not been a problem. 

My flat iron for my hair has been a different story😂.  For some reason, security has to occaisionally check it out.

Sherri🙂

• 1 month later...
39 minutes ago, Dalton5 said:

Can you still put a luggage tag on a case of water and check it at the pier?  

Per RCI rules, no, there is a limit to the number of bottles you can bring aboard, and it must be in your carry-on. YMMV

51 minutes ago, Dalton5 said:

Can you still put a luggage tag on a case of water and check it at the pier?  

It depends on the port.  They wouldn't take it from me at Tampa, so I ended up carrying it on board, which was a PIA.  😉  In Europe we bring on those 6-pack 1.5 liter water bottles. 

30 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

Per RCI rules, no, there is a limit to the number of bottles you can bring aboard, and it must be in your carry-on. 

The RCI policy is 12 bottles of up to 17oz - what happens at the port may vary. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Dalton5 said:

Thanks for all the infol...I think I will just get the refreshment package and not hassle with it!

There's usually a water package in the planner. I purchased it for under £19 in a sale for 12 x 1litre bottles of Evian, though its more now.  Nice to have it waiting for you in your state room

Edited by sgmn

On 1/2/2024 at 10:57 PM, mcatmcat said:

I wonder why people carry all of that. Just put it in a backpack and give it to the porter, doing that for years 

Seen pop and water in luggage flagged and sent to naughty table, this at 3 ports. Too many keep trying this breaking of rules they will Ban all carry on Soda Pop and Water. I've been carrying on my Pop for 30yrs and dont want loose this benefit

2 hours ago, sgmn said:

There's usually a water package in the planner. I purchased it for under £19 in a sale for 12 x 1litre bottles of Evian, though its more now.  Nice to have it waiting for you in your state room

Weird thing Bought 2 Evian CASES 9 months apart for my Oct Cruise. the Cheaper $22 USD CASE was only 1/2 ltr, bottles AND the $36 CASE was the 1 ltr