Does NCL offer any religious services ?

scubacruiserx2

If i remember correctly, Sometimes there are Sunday Services, or friday Shabbat services.  They used to be printed in the daily planner.  If you dont see anything, go to Guest services and ask if they can organize a prayer service.  You never know unless you ask.

There are very few cruise lines that offer Mass anymore, except maybe on Christmas and Easter cruises.  HAL is the only mega line I know of.  Some may offer non-denominational Christian services, but that is probably up to the Cruise Director and may vary even on the same cruise line.  One CD I know of who does it regularly is Russ Grieves, formerly of Azamara but now on Crystal.  Crystal always used to have a Priest on board, pre-bankruptcy – I don't know if "new Crystal" does or not.

• Like 1

Celebrity had morning Mass at 0800 on Horizon when we last cruised on her but that was way back in 2001 or so.

Back in 2011 we were on Gem on Xmas Eve & they had Midnight Mass in the Gem Theater.  It looked like over half the crew was there in addition to us pax who attended!  There was a Xmas Protestant service in the theater before the Catholic Mass.

I asked the CD on Gem why NCL didn't do this regularly & he said if there's a priest, minister, imam or rabbi who is sailing on the ship during a particular cruise NCL will make the interdenominational chapel available for their use & assist in any way they can.  This includes publishing the time & location in the Freestyle Daily. For Easter, Xmas & specific religious holy days they'll bring a priest, rabbi, minister or imam on board to conduct services if they feel there's enough pax on board to justify it.  That was back in 2011.  I dunno if that's still NCL policy these days.  FYI, when we lived in MD our associate pastor took a cruise aboard an RCCL ship out of Baltimore & he told us he said Mass every day while he was aboard in their chapel; they advertised it in their daily paper.  So am guessing it's probably the same policy on other cruise lines.

On our last two NCL cruises this year there was a Sabbath Shabbat 'self-led' service for our Jewish friends.  Haven't seen anything else. 

Edited by tomk3212
dates
  • Like 1

I was told there was a Shabbat service onboard the Breakaway last week. However, my wife was taking a nap and I didn't want to wake her for it. I would've loved to have the opportunity to attend Mass, but the two Sundays I was at sea, there was no way to do so. Technically, as a Roman Catholic, I could have gone to a Greek Orthodox church, but the timing didn't line up. Nothing will ever compare to our honeymoon cruise in 2012 on the Costa Pacifica, which had a gorgeous chapel and daily mass every single day. 😊

• Like 1

Our next sail-away date with NCL is Easter Sunday, though we are planning to go to Easter Vigil Mass the night before near the port. I'm not counting on Mass being available on the ship even though it's Easter, but I will be asking beforehand just in case it is available because I would prefer to do that.

Regardless, we are practicing Roman Catholics and are considering asking NCL for space to hold morning prayer (Liturgy of the Hours, possibly followed by the rosary, about 1/2 hour total). Obviously if there is a priest on board, we would defer to him in this. At worst, we'd ask to privately join him for LOTH, as it is a requirement for him.

My husband is soon to be ordained a permanent deacon, though not before our next cruise, but it's possible that after his (presumed) ordination, he may be permitted to travel with the Eucharist so that we could request for him to hold Communion services on board. It could not be Mass, as deacons cannot consecrate the host, but that suffices to fulfill your Sunday obligation (or a HDO) if no Mass is available.

Anyway, all that to say that if you happen to cruise with people who feel inclined to lead something or even ordained clergy, there may be options, but under most circumstances, I would not expect to be able to find anything on NCL.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rbxlady said:

Regardless, we are practicing Roman Catholics and are considering asking NCL for space to hold morning prayer (Liturgy of the Hours, possibly followed by the rosary, about 1/2 hour total).

What an absolutely lovely idea. 🙂 I have a friend who's a priest, and he told me once he was on a cruise, he spent almost the entire time hearing confessions from crew members who don't get the opportunity for that very often.

• Like 3

Things have changed a lot in recent year and vary cruiseline to cruiseline . On the Caribbean Princess we were given the Club Fusion ( it seats 382 people ) for an advertised interdenominational service on a Sunday 7 years ago . It was advertised the daily for all to see and opened to all Christian believers . It was led by the Cruise Director . It included music and Bible reading .

Edited by scubacruiserx2
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, NikiPinkston said:

We were on the Bliss over Christmas in 2021 and Mass was broadcast repeatedly on the TV in our stateroom throughout the day. I believe there were other denominational services, as well. 

Thank you for sharing that good news  . Do you know if that is normal or just for the holidays ? We are on the star in May and only have one day at sea and that is on a Sunday so we had hoped that services would be available .

• Like 1

14 hours ago, C cruise said:

When we did a repositioning cruise on the Epic they had a service on Sunday morning - It was a bible reading and prayer - I can't remember if there was singing and it was led by a fellow passenger. Quite a few attended.

We have done 9 of our last 10 cruises on HAL and the always had a Mass every day . For those of us who attended the interdenominational 

services , we were given a space on the ship and both services were advertised in the daily . When our group wanted to have a daily Bible study we were given a space by HAL .

• Like 1

On 11/16/2023 at 12:40 AM, Host Jazzbeau said:

There are very few cruise lines that offer Mass anymore, except maybe on Christmas and Easter cruises.  HAL is the only mega line I know of.  Some may offer non-denominational Christian services, but that is probably up to the Cruise Director and may vary even on the same cruise line.  One CD I know of who does it regularly is Russ Grieves, formerly of Azamara but now on Crystal.  Crystal always used to have a Priest on board, pre-bankruptcy – I don't know if "new Crystal" does or not.

Thank you @Host Jazzbeau for your responce . It funny how things have changed so much . Our first cruise to Europe ( the Baltic ) and South America were on NCL in 2006 and 2007 . When we did South America the 2nd time shortly after it was on HAL in early December and we returned home before Christmas . But on that cruise they had a Priest , a Rabbi and a Methodist minister . Sounds like the start of a joke right .  But they were all given free passage in exchange of their services . I believe that HAL still does this with the Catholic Priests . In fact we met one on the elevator whose CC cruise name is Himself . He does cruise frequently and there is a thread on the HAL boards and one about a Priest being on board .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

Thank you for sharing that good news  . Do you know if that is normal or just for the holidays ? We are on the star in May and only have one day at sea and that is on a Sunday so we had hoped that services would be available .

I'm sorry, @scubacruiserx2, I don't know the answer to that question. I don't recall ever seeing Mass or other services on the TV on Sunday, but I may have just missed them. Perhaps Guest Services could answer that question next time you're onboard. Happy cruising!