Flight connection time in Montreal

cruiseej

8 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

I give up.

I don't know why you're so exasperated with me. I'm not "backed into a corner". I only asked for information and opinions about connecting through Montreal. I've received some useful information from people in this thread, which I appreciate. That includes an introduction to Porter, an airline I wasn't previously aware of.

Would I prefer not to have to get up at 4 am for a flight home? Sure. Would I do it if it works out best? Sure. Would I prefer not to arrive home after 1 am when my wife has to get up just a few hours later to go to work? Sure. Would we do it if it works out best? We have in the past, and we would. Would I prefer not to spend several hundred dollars more per person for only  a different flight time? Sure. Would I do it if it seems like the best option? Probably. Would I prefer a flight combination which gets us home in under six hours instead of more than 8? Sure. Would I take the longer routing if it was otherwise best. Sure. It's all about gathering information and then making an informed decision about what works best for us. That's why I reached out to this informed group for useful information and opinions. There's no reason to tell me I'm blind to "harsh realities" and then "give up". Sheesh.

Cruises, based on what you have said and rethinking your options, I do think the 75 minute connection time in Montreal is fine. You have Global Entry which fast tracks you through US Immigration. Also a back up option is to use Mobile Passport Control where you pre-enter your passport information and are assigned a priority time slot.  Also, your luggage will connect directly, so you just have to go from your gate, connect though US Customs and go to you final gate.  I think you are travelling in Sept? If so, my bigger worry would be flight delay or cancellation out of St Johns due to fog or bad weather at that time of year. But there is nothing you can do about that, and the fog might burn off for a 1pm flight vs a 7am flight. 

• Like 1

We will be doing the reverse in September by meeting the ship in St Johns. I notice you said the airfares organised by Seabourn had be fairly priced , I have just been quoted over Double the price I could get direct which surprised me as I usually (and prefer) to use flight ease.

I have connected in Montreal to a US flight.  75 minutes is "tight" but doable, especially with Global Entry.  Not doable if you need wheelchair assistance.  Bring your GE card, you may need it to access the GE line.  If your inbound flight is delayed, you may miss your connection. Hopefully there are alternatives.  Personally I would look for other options, but likely (hopefully) it will work out.  

Edited by Nachosdelux
  • Like 1

On 11/17/2023 at 8:50 AM, Sunprince said:

Cruises, based on what you have said and rethinking your options, I do think the 75 minute connection time in Montreal is fine. You have Global Entry which fast tracks you through US Immigration. Also a back up option is to use Mobile Passport Control where you pre-enter your passport information and are assigned a priority time slot.  Also, your luggage will connect directly, so you just have to go from your gate, connect though US Customs and go to you final gate.  I think you are travelling in Sept? If so, my bigger worry would be flight delay or cancellation out of St Johns due to fog or bad weather at that time of year. But there is nothing you can do about that, and the fog might burn off for a 1pm flight vs a 7am flight. 

Are you sure about the luggage? From my experience in Toronto - connecting from a Canadian city, you have to collect your luggage from the first flight, before pre-clearance at US customs. They will not allow your luggage on the US flight if you have not cleared US customs.

However it seems like this is not an issue for the OP as I believe they will be travelling with carryons.

17 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Are you sure about the luggage? From my experience in Toronto - connecting from a Canadian city, you have to collect your luggage from the first flight, before pre-clearance at US customs. They will not allow your luggage on the US flight if you have not cleared US customs.

However it seems like this is not an issue for the OP as I believe they will be travelling with carryons.

I'm with Sunprince - post #27 - on this.  75 minutes to make your connection from a Canadian domestic flight to a flight to the US is OK.  Your baggage will be checked through; no nedd to pick it up.  GE will help to speed things along, maybe, but it won't likely make a whole lot of difference.  You ought to be just fine.

I have done this often with flights originating in YOW routed through YUL.

Edited by d9704011

1 hour ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Not happy about collecting bags in Toronto before we fly to the U.S., but if this means no Customs or Immigration in the U.S. I guess it is worth it.    Nice to know they accept Global Entry in Canada, the U.K. And EU countries don’t recognize it.

Where are you coming from to connect to a flight to US from YYZ?  If the origin is a Canadian city and your airline has checked your luggage through to your US destination, you don't retrieve your luggage in Toronto.... just go through CBP pre-clearance.

14 hours ago, RD64 said:

We did not have to collect our luggage at the Montreal airport before proceeding (continuing) via  an Air Canada flight to our U.S.  destination.  It was checked through and we didn't have to deal with it.  We had come from the Copenhagen airport.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

On 11/20/2023 at 5:41 AM, Covepointcruiser said:

Not happy about collecting bags in Toronto before we fly to the U.S., but if this means no Customs or Immigration in the U.S. I guess it is worth it.    Nice to know they accept Global Entry in Canada, the U.K. And EU countries don’t recognize it.

Global Entry is a USA program and is not "accepted" in Canada.  You are going through US Customs and Immigration, processed by USA staff, at a USA pre-clearance facility.