Jim_Iain Live - 2nd Half World Cruise - B2B Singapore to Down Under 11/25 – 12/21

Jim_Iain

We got back to the port a little after 3:00.   The bus we were on was continuing onto ChristChurch after a drop off at the ship.  

Iain went back to the ship, being a glutton for punishment I went on to ChristChurch. 

IMG_2490.thumb.jpeg.d5389316b52baaf0c8fc56c3b6baffa8.jpeg

IMG_2491.thumb.jpeg.68c22b25d3f01ba09072fb1824013b06.jpeg

IMG_2493.thumb.jpeg.b79f2bc0b477afac87c464a98dd85f3f.jpeg

IMG_2495.thumb.jpeg.0097642812bb5204d6e69fdb0353fd8f.jpeg

IMG_2502.thumb.jpeg.7186667b31075f42b99db78050fb0704.jpeg

IMG_2508.thumb.jpeg.1701a6696f24a5ba5e4399ea8a867bf3.jpeg

IMG_2510.thumb.jpeg.9e378ca007a91dd56aaf1f0b52e18972.jpeg

IMG_2512.thumb.jpeg.b6bf117f37c2a8b3bbab2faab8e492f7.jpeg

• Like 19

10 hours ago, Wookie01 said:

Terry we are boarding on Wednesday (when Jim leaves) and our first day is anchored in Sydney harbour.

Tenders will be in use so I will let you know about the Magic Carpet then.

I am surprised that the Edge has to tender in Sydney must be too many ship in port on that day. Thank you for following up.

• Like 1

Just now, terrydtx said:

I am surprised that the Edge has to tender in Sydney must be too many ship in port on that day. Thank you for following up.

We board at the OPT in Circular Quay on 21 Dec, but next day is at anchor in the harbour until 6pm when we head to NZ.
Were originally scheduled to visit Newcastle (just north of Sydney) on that day but there is some issue with port access so that stop was cancelled. 🙂

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Wookie01 said:

We board at the OPT in Circular Quay on 21 Dec, but next day is at anchor in the harbour until 6pm when we head to NZ.
Were originally scheduled to visit Newcastle (just north of Sydney) on that day but there is some issue with port access so that stop was cancelled. 🙂

Thank you for the clarification.

I see that you are from Melbourne, we will be in Melbourne for 2 nights after we get off our cruise and finish our driving trip. Is there anything we should see or do that we shouldn't miss while there? We will not have a car so getting there will need to be by local transportation. Thanks for any recommendations.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Thank you for the clarification.

I see that you are from Melbourne, we will be in Melbourne for 2 nights after we get off our cruise and finish our driving trip. Is there anything we should see or do that we shouldn't miss while there? We will not have a car so getting there will need to be by local transportation. Thanks for any recommendations.

Let me know your interests and I will try to come up with some appropriate suggestions. 🙂

18 minutes ago, macaroni said:

Melbourne….I would spend a full day or a night doing the great ocean road….saw koalas, kangaroos and beautiful scenery. It was fantastic!

We are doing the Great Ocean Road as part of our 10-day driving trip to Adelaide and back to Melbourne. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

My impression of Christchurch was the  Pennines by the Sea.

I still remember my visit for several days, so I can understand your comment!  When we first arrived by car, there was a huge storm just beginning to dissipate.  

On 12/16/2023 at 7:51 AM, hcat said:

hard to keep up..so many amazing photos!  I will def be scrolling back to savor  my favorites!

how do you store your photos after each cruise..?  we have dozens of old cruise albums and scrap books.. need to pare down..  we are thinking of  trying to convert our favs to digital! hard choices!

Hate to say it but just use Apple Storage.   Since my phone has 500GB storage it is no problem.   Apple automatically synced to iCloud Storage on a real time basis and I can access them either from my phone or using iCloud from my laptop.

Apple keeps a thumbnail on your phone of older photos and when you wish to view or forward downloaded it for iCloud

• Like 1

On 12/16/2023 at 7:54 AM, terrydtx said:

Do you go to Bay of Islands on this cruise, I think it is tendered?

Not on our cruise.   Ports on our cruise -  Auckland (overnight), Tauranga, Napier, Christchurch and Dunedin this morning.    After that we will cruise - Dusky Sound, Dowubtful Sound and Milford Sound tomorrow (Fjords).     After that we will be 2 days at sea back to Sydney.

BTW - they used Magic Carpet last night for the Magic Carpet Dinner.    Since we left late and the sail our of the harbor was slow probably ok for dinner but was about 60F temperature wise.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Jim,  Is the Luminae burger still on the lunch menu every day?  Is it the same or has it changed? 

Luminae Burger still on everyday for lunch.   I believe it is much thicker than the past.   We usually order 1/2 -   Sometimes thinner and other times if both having 1/2 have them cut it and put on two plates.     Same as before but we usually have them substitute Blu Cheese and add crispy bacon.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2023 at 6:21 AM, RNCheryl said:

Maybe the best quote of this posting:  Blind date with a book.

Jim, the Penguin Parade at Phillip Island near Melbourne is a hoot.

Your pictures make me (almost) want to do that flight from the US west coast to NZ.

I chuckled at the Blind Date book..   Wonder what the book was - as it was gift wrapped.

23 hours ago, asnaleah said:

Gorgeous photos Jim! Maybe we should think about going back to NZ.

Will be back to Sydney at the End of March but think after a couple more flights to and from Sydney we will be worn out by those LONG Flights.     New Zealand would be incredible for a road trip.      Cruises are great but the limited time in each port limits the ability to really explore.

• Like 9

23 hours ago, mauimary said:

Love all your beautiful photos of Napier. We will be there in Nov on our 45 day cruise that begins in Honolulu and concludes with a 12 day New Zealand. Very excited to see more of New Zealand on this cruise so enjoying all your photos. 

Sounds like an incredible vacation.    I think you will really love all the ports.    Just remember to pack for 3 seasons ---- probably don't have to worry about winter.   Some on this cruise were shopping for jackets in Auckland.   Many were surprised at how cool it is.  

I joke and says just like Summer in San Francisco.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Not on our cruise.   Ports on our cruise -  Auckland (overnight), Tauranga, Napier, Christchurch and Dunedin this morning.    After that we will cruise - Dusky Sound, Dowubtful Sound and Milford Sound tomorrow (Fjords).     After that we will be 2 days at sea back to Sydney.

BTW - they used Magic Carpet last night for the Magic Carpet Dinner.    Since we left late and the sail our of the harbor was slow probably ok for dinner but was about 60F temperature wise.

Thanks, out only tender port in NZ will be the Bay Of Islands, but the GBR cruise after has 4 tender ports going up the gold coast to Great Barrier reef, so our roll call is hopping the MC is working by then.

23 hours ago, Redking said:

Spot on Jim, It's one of the world's roughest stretches of water, ferry crossings can be interesting.

https://nzhistory.govt.nz/culture/cook-strait-rail-ferries/love-boats-or-chuck-buckets#:~:text=Cook Strait can also be,like a huge wind tunnel.

At least you're rewarded by Wellington Harbor and the Marlborough Sounds at either end. Am I right in thinking you're not going to Wellington? I think it feels like a mini San Francisco with the steep streets and weather board houses or villas as you'll now know them. A friend who's from San Francisco completely disagrees though, heho!

We are really loving New Zealand.   I often say that there are some real similarities with San Francisco .   Taking the bay cruise yesterday we often said how much it feels like Scotland.   Really think New Zealand has similarities to many places around the world.   

Sometimes the coastline reminds me of Maine and Nova Scotia.     One thing i can say with certainty is -  it is Uniquely New Zealand.

• Like 8