There may be parking problems for our cruise on Friday

mafig

Someone on our roll call mentioned that their news stations are saying that there may be a space problem at Ft. Everglades for parking.

This certainly doesn't help us.  We live on the west coast and are driving over and always park at the port.  Our local news stations have not talked about florida cruise parking at all (only Ft. Myers airport).

Now I'm worried.

Rotterdam leaves on Friday.  

Suggestions?

16 minutes ago, mafig said:

Someone on our roll call mentioned that their news stations are saying that there may be a space problem at Ft. Everglades for parking.

Now I'm worried.

Rotterdam leaves on Friday.  

Suggestions?

Browse or post on the Florida Departures board?

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/386-florida-departures/

• Like 2

Our cruise leaves this Friday (Nov. 24).

Someone on our roll call has stated that the TV stations in Ft. Lauderdale are cautioning people that parking at the port parking lots will be at a premium because of the holiday.

We're driving over from the west coast.

Haven't heard anything about this until today (our local TV station is just talking about parking in Ft. Myers airport.

Locals?  What should we do?  

Thanks but....

Many of those parking facilities (like Park N Go) are no longer taking reservations because they are full.

We prefer to park at the port and will probably try to time getting there at about the time most people are getting off Rotterdam and following them to their car (like we've seen people do in parking lots at Christmas-time.)

Do the hotels let you park there if you are not a guest?

Edited by mafig

10 minutes ago, mafig said:

Thanks but....

Many of those parking facilities (like Park N Go) are no longer taking reservations because they are full.

We prefer to park at the port and will probably try to time getting there at about the time most people are getting off Rotterdam and following them to their car (like we've seen people do in parking lots at Christmas-time.)

Do the hotels let you park there if you are not a guest?

Usually, the hotel parking is part of a package where you stay a night and either get parking free for xx days or they charge you a reduced fee per day.

I saw this reported on the La Lido Loca YouTube channel. Apparently the host has a cruise this weekend and got a notice from the cruisline warning him of this. 

Where on the West Coast are you  OP? This spring we are taking Amtrak from Tampa to Fort Lauderdale (the day before) then will Uber in the morning from our hotel. 

I found this: https://www.cruisehive.com/florida-homeport-warns-of-traffic-delays-for-holiday-cruises/116174

I'm not sure that the port itself will be affected so much as there will be additional traffic due to the Thanksgiving holiday weekend.

I don't see why parking will be any more limited than normal. The article mentions days (not yours) with five and six ships in, which is less than the 8 or 9 we've seen on occasion. And we've never had an issue parking.

10 hours ago, POA1 said:

We've only been in Fort Lauderdale since 2008, but I've never seen the port run out of parking. Normal "load" is 5 or 6 ships. Full capacity is 8.

I haven't worried about it either.  Never gave it a thought.

Until now.....someone on our roll call posted that all the TV channels are cautioning about lack of parking.

And I believe the full capacity has already taken the parking spots.  My cruise on Rotterdam is the only one of two coming back into the port on Friday.