Sandwiches at Cafe al Bacio

Susanb10567

2 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Like it or not, at the buffet they leave out in the open both sandwiches and cold cuts

That is exactly why we don't eat at buffets if we can help it.  My husband is a retired Microbiologist, we try and be super cautious, especially on a cruise ship!  Would like someone on the Ascent to ask if the case at the Cafe Bicio refrigerated, we will be on Dec. 3.

7 minutes ago, Bejay219 said:

That is exactly why we don't eat at buffets if we can help it.  My husband is a retired Microbiologist, we try and be super cautious, especially on a cruise ship!  Would like someone on the Ascent to ask if the case at the Cafe Bicio refrigerated, we will be on Dec. 3.

The FDA has a rule that allows deli meat to be left out for up to two hours so it's possible they are replacing them every so often yet I have no idea if they actually do that

• Like 1

I think if they are put out fresh  they will be snapped up quickly..esp by the perpetual card players.

On some ships ( not E class),  they had or may still have a whole deli area at the back...not self serve.. Meat offerings were not always appealing . 

I think cheese and hard salamis would keep best!

9 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

No macaroons in Cafe al Bacio anymore.  They stopped them on Constellation Nov 6th and I was told by F&B Dir that it's fleet wide.  "Coconut is expensive."  Meaning zero gluten free cookie option at CaB now.  Next year, IF I choose X for my  TA, I'll bring my own GF Walkers Shortbread cookies.  After this most recent cruise, that's a reeeally big "if."

That is a really poor decision if that's correct. Those macaroons were lovely.

I can't eat the cakes they have at CaB as they tend to have gelatine in the icing, and I'm also vegetarian. Not to mention the fact that they're in there close to all the other cakes, so a total cross contamination nightmare.

We've just booked a Celebrity cruise for next year. Our first experience on them sailing gluten free wasn't great, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt as it was the first cruise for that particular ship after a 2 year break from Covid. Really hope I'm not going to regret my decision.

10 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

No macaroons in Cafe al Bacio anymore.  They stopped them on Constellation Nov 6th and I was told by F&B Dir that it's fleet wide.  "Coconut is expensive."  Meaning zero gluten free cookie option at CaB now.  Next year, IF I choose X for my  TA, I'll bring my own GF Walkers Shortbread cookies.  After this most recent cruise, that's a reeeally big "if."

Deleted, as duplicate post

Edited by Ladyshopper23
Duplicate post

1 hour ago, Ladyshopper23 said:

That is a really poor decision if that's correct. Those macaroons were lovely.

I can't eat the cakes they have at CaB as they tend to have gelatine in the icing, and I'm also vegetarian. Not to mention the fact that they're in there close to all the other cakes, so a total cross contamination nightmare.

The decorated cakes look much better than they taste.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 11/23/2023 at 3:15 PM, helen haywood said:

I’ll be interested to see if this is fleetwide.  I have noticed in the past that often the new ships get amenities that the other ships don’t. 

I completely agree. E class ships seem to get the best of everything Celebrity has to offer. Kinda frustrating.  Other than things venue specific by necessity,  offerings should be completely the same. Consistent inconsistency is unfortunately a Celebrity trait.

• Like 1

Hello,

When Eclipse first arrived in Southampton, Cafe al Bacio served 'finger' sandwiches and filled savoury croissants in the mornings and cakes/sweet items not until the afternoons. Biscuits were always available.

Regards,

Cublet

22 hours ago, Bejay219 said:

My DH is also a scientist, not a microbiologist-  and hates buffets- and leaving meat and other perishables out without refrigeration.  We do not know how long items are left out in the restaurants either, and hope we have strong immune systems!

22 hours ago, Bejay219 said:

Lol, my mother was a microbiologist and was manic about unrefrigerated food and germs in general.  I'm much more relaxed, and rarely get sick and have never had food poisoning ( my parents had it on their honeymoon).  OVC Apex I'll see you in January 😊

Regarding refrigerated cases I remember a number of years ago the old Cova Cafes (now called the Cafe al Bacio) had tapas in the evenings.  They were served in small white plates displayed in the cases (the same cases which displayed the breakfast pastries in the am).   Those plates, when handed to you, were definitely cold.

On 11/24/2023 at 2:13 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

The FDA has a rule that allows deli meat to be left out for up to two hours so it's possible they are replacing them every so often yet I have no idea if they actually do thatetd 

Please can we separate real life on board from the "fiction".

Norovirus is a notifiable disease which, above a certain level, must be reported and action taken.

When were you or any one else last on a cruise when the Captain made such an announcement?

All the meals in the crew restaurant are "buffet" and yet when there is a Norovirus outbreak the crew are rarely affected because they follow the hygiene regulations - simple things like washing hands.

All the food in the buffet, Al Bacio etc is removed in accordance with the regulations - to paraphrase a Hotel Director " all the food you see on display to us is waste. Anything not consumed in its alloted time is consigned to the trash."

If the ship didn't stick to the regulations it wouldn't have to continually train staff and adapt as it moved from one jurisdiction to another. A simple example the Elite Breakfast is buffet style out of the UK and plated out of the US. Another only Australian sourced meat can be served when cruising in Australian waters. 

Relax, stick to the rules especially hand washing and enjoy.

24 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Please can we separate real life on board from the "fiction".

Norovirus is a notifiable disease which, above a certain level, must be reported and action taken.

When were you or any one else last on a cruise when the Captain made such an announcement?

All the meals in the crew restaurant are "buffet" and yet when there is a Norovirus outbreak the crew are rarely affected because they follow the hygiene regulations - simple things like washing hands.

All the food in the buffet, Al Bacio etc is removed in accordance with the regulations - to paraphrase a Hotel Director " all the food you see on display to us is waste. Anything not consumed in its alloted time is consigned to the trash."

If the ship didn't stick to the regulations it wouldn't have to continually train staff and adapt as it moved from one jurisdiction to another. A simple example the Elite Breakfast is buffet style out of the UK and plated out of the US. Another only Australian sourced meat can be served when cruising in Australian waters. 

Relax, stick to the rules especially hand washing and enjoy.

I suggest you reread my post because I actually agree with you; I eat from charcuterie boards all the time, and in many cases, it’s been sitting out far-far longer than two hours

The person I quoted is from the US and seemed concerned so I brought to their attention that the US based FDA has a two hour rule in case they assumed the US had a rule with a shorter duration.  Thanks for bringing to the threads attention that what you see is on display only

On 11/24/2023 at 12:53 PM, goofysmom99 said:

I had macaroon last week on the Edge, they were at Al Bacio.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I suggest you reread my post because I actually agree with you; I eat from charcuterie boards all the time, and in many cases, it’s been sitting out far-far longer than two hours

The person I quoted is from the US and seemed concerned so I brought to their attention that the US based FDA has a two hour rule in case they assumed the US had a rule with a shorter duration.  Thanks for bringing to the threads attention that what you see is on display only

Sorry I didn't "attach" my response where I intended.

Hopefully it will still be read.

The point I was making is that the ships follow very strict guidelines and are regularly inspected to ensure compliance. Anyone who has done a Transatlantic can surely not have missed the retraining and extra deep cleaning that takes place ready for the inspections in either Europe or the USA.

5 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

Regarding refrigerated cases I remember a number of years ago the old Cova Cafes (now called the Cafe al Bacio) had tapas in the evenings.  They were served in small white plates displayed in the cases (the same cases which displayed the breakfast pastries in the am).   Those plates, when handed to you, were definitely cold.

loved the Cova Cafe..never was ill ftom the treats!  Loved the live music, esp in the afternoon!

On 11/24/2023 at 8:59 AM, Bejay219 said:

I tried to catch up on all the postings before replying, but I might have missed if someone replied to you directly. I did see a reply to me that yes, there is refrigeration where these are kept. 

2 minutes ago, blueslily said:

I tried to catch up on all the postings before replying, but I might have missed if someone replied to you directly. I did see a reply to me that yes, there is refrigeration where these are kept. 

That is good to know... Thank you! 

On 11/25/2023 at 6:40 AM, cublet said:

Hello,

When Eclipse first arrived in Southampton, Cafe al Bacio served 'finger' sandwiches and filled savoury croissants in the mornings and cakes/sweet items not until the afternoons. Biscuits were always available.

Regards,

Cublet

Yes on M class and S class back when we first started cruising with Celebrity, those were the offerings loved the small croissants with smoked salmon and a cold glass of fizz! Hope they bring them back on all the ships.

Edited by di T

1 hour ago, Barb1403 said:

Macaroons appeared on day 4 of the Constellation cruise I’m currently on at Al Bacio!

Thank you for this!  Delighted to hear this!  I wrote directly to exec offices while I was still on the cruise.  If your F&B Dir is still Abdulnasar Kuttiam, I wonder if he initiated the change or somewhere/someone higher up.  Not having them really made for a long 16 days GF in al Bacio.