Carnival UK accused of plan to fire and hire 900 crew

Ray66

P&O have released a corporate statement on their Facebook page which IMO is a giveaway that they are trying to avoid bad publicity about what they are trying to do with regards to pay and conditions of staff. It seems to me to be a repeat of what P&O Ferries did last year with bad publicity and P&O Cruises spent a fortune in advertising saying they were nothing to do with P&O Ferries and avoiding equally bad publicity. Now they seem to be creating their own bad publicity by doing something similar.

1 minute ago, Liberal_Baggie said:

Its just plain wrong of course! and no doubt I will be talking to officers on board QM2 myself about the situation shortly. I was planning on booking another holiday whilst I am on board. If nothing changes I will not be doing that unfortunately.

What can be achieved by talking to the officers on board? I can’t imagine it is in their remit.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Liberal_Baggie said:

Its just plain wrong of course! and no doubt I will be talking to officers on board QM2 myself about the situation shortly. I was planning on booking another holiday whilst I am on board. If nothing changes I will not be doing that unfortunately.

Bit excessive and I doubt you'll get much out of talking to onboard staff.

Why not wait and see how 'the situation' develops and then transfer your allegiances should you feel the need.

We will still be booking with Cunard whatever the outcome.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

It's probably a particular grade of employee.

Middle management maybe ?

Could be. Given their alleged problems with recruiting customer-facing (sorry, hideous word) staff, it is hard to imagine it is any of them. 

I think its about the technical departments, deck and engine.  From Nautilus' website, while they don't differentiate about who they represent in other segments of the maritime industry, they specifically call out officers on passenger ships.  Only deck and engine licensed officers are truly "officers" on cruise ships.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

It's probably a particular grade of employee.

Middle management maybe ?

It is , and  has nothing to do with those hard working  Filipino waiters/bar staff etc  .  At present Cunard are having a massive recruitment drive to crew QA . 😉

• Like 1