MoveUp or upgrade fairy

wpas1

I reserved a guarantee veranda cabin and had my cabin number the day after I made my reservation, about 6 months before sailing.   A couple weeks ago I was able to bid on move up, and I did, on 2 categories.  Today when I looked at my reservation I noticed a different cabin assigned (much better), but I have not been charged on my credit card and my move up offers still say pending. (I actually canceled my bids, because my new cabin is great) My new cabin is not a category that I bid on.

So, my question is did I hit the jackpot?  Did the upgrade fairy come through?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wpas1 said:

I reserved a guarantee veranda cabin and had my cabin number the day after I made my reservation, about 6 months before sailing.   A couple weeks ago I was able to bid on move up, and I did, on 2 categories.  Today when I looked at my reservation I noticed a different cabin assigned (much better), but I have not been charged on my credit card and my move up offers still say pending. (I actually canceled my bids, because my new cabin is great) My new cabin is not a category that I bid on.

If the new cabin is not in a category you bid on then it wasn’t a Move Up.  Sounds like Celebrity needed the cabin they originally assigned you so they moved you another cabin.  Glad you like your new location better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jelayne said:

If the new cabin is not in a category you bid on then it wasn’t a Move Up.  Sounds like Celebrity needed the cabin they originally assigned you so they moved you another cabin.  Glad you like your new location better.

Very happy with new cabin. I went from a p2 to a c1!

• Like 2

My latest successful MoveUp bid reminds me of that old saying "Be careful what you wish for. You may Get IT"

I had a mid ship regular veranda stateroom and bid a few hundred dollars on a Concierge Veranda and ended up in the Last Aft outfacing stateroom under the OVC that for Obvious reasons  Nobody wanted. 

I would have been better off with my original choice.

15 minutes ago, D. B. said:

My latest successful MoveUp bid reminds me of that old saying "Be careful what you wish for. You may Get IT"

I had a mid ship regular veranda stateroom and bid a few hundred dollars on a Concierge Veranda and ended up in the Last Aft outfacing stateroom under the OVC that for Obvious reasons  Nobody wanted. 

Sorry to hear this. May I ask ship and cabin number please? Thank you. 

18 hours ago, wpas1 said:

Some would argue that is a downgrade (I would not)--that P2 is a "real" balcony while CI is not.

I saw a porthole balcony--the inability to face chairs forward was a deal breaker for me.

1 hour ago, D. B. said:

Some would argue this IS an upgrade (NOT because it is Concierge...waste of a category, imo) as an aft balcony is considered by many to be superior. 

Admittedly under OVC not ideal, particularly if one is not an early riser!

There are pros and cons but if it were me personally I wouldn't want to be under the OV buffet and would do something to try to change locations.  The deluxe porthole is a shallow balcony but you don't have to face each other, you can both turn the chairs 45 degrees toward the sea and be comfortable even if you're 6'2

4 hours ago, SouKnoMe said:

Sorry to hear this. May I ask ship and cabin number please? Thank you. 

Reflection. cabin 2215. The Last cabin with an Outboard facing (Not Aft facing)  veranda. 

My original cabin was a V2 veranda. midships.

My biggest objection was that being way in the back meant a lot more walking time and effort to get around the ship. My favorite place to hang out is the Sky Lounge. Forward.

Also  the vibration aft is constant while the ship is moving.

I did inquire if a move was possible even with a Downgrade but was told the Ship was "Fully Booked"

I will definitely be less inclined to do another MoveUp if the category could include a less desirable location than my existing cabin.

Edited by D. B.
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, D. B. said:

Reflection. cabin 2215. The Last cabin with an Outboard facing (Not Aft facing)  veranda. 

My original cabin was a V2 veranda. midships.

My biggest objection was that being way in the back meant a lot more walking time and effort to get around the ship. My favorite place to hang out is the Sky Lounge. Forward.

Also  the vibration aft is constant while the ship is moving.

I did inquire if a move was possible even with a Downgrade but was told the Ship was "Fully Booked"

I will definitely be less inclined to do another MoveUp if the category could include a less desirable location than my existing cabin.

So sorry you had this experience. I think that I have a similar cabin on my upcoming cruise. Gonna have to make the best of it. 

Thank you for sharing. 

4 hours ago, KKB said:

Some would argue that is a downgrade (I would not)--that P2 is a "real" balcony while CI is not.

I saw a porthole

I was under the impression that none were real balconies on Ascent.   All I know is our p2 was the furthest front, deck 6 over the theater, and our c1 is midship deck 12.  For me this location is an upgrade, plus I didn’t pay for it as I booked a guarantee veranda. I’m not real picky about the cabin I am in because I don’t spend any awake time there, lol.

Edited by wpas1

11 hours ago, wpas1 said:

I was under the impression that none were real balconies on Ascent.   All I know is our p2 was the furthest front, deck 6 over the theater, and our c1 is midship deck 12.  For me this location is an upgrade, plus I didn’t pay for it as I booked a guarantee veranda. I’m not real picky about the cabin I am in because I don’t spend any awake time there, lol.

Correct, for the most part.

Sunset Verandas & Suites have real verandas.

The Porthole Veranda is a real balcony, and it does appear that the Ascent has made that veranda SLIGHTLY larger so that you may actually be able to sit forward now.

We all know the Infinite Verandas are very polarizing--we are like you, we enjoy them as well as a regular Veranda as we aren't in our room much.

Enjoy!!

24 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

I think MoveUp should be changed to “PayUp.”  🤑

Thank you!!  I’ve paid enough as a single for the room that I think I wanted. And with this option to bid (pay more) for the possibility… not guaranteed upgrade, I found myself becoming disappointed with my initial choice. My e-docs have released, and I need to just settle my nerves!😂

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, SouKnoMe said:

Thank you!!  I’ve paid enough as a single for the room that I think I wanted. And with this option to bid (pay more) for the possibility… not guaranteed upgrade, I found myself becoming disappointed with my initial choice. My e-docs have released, and I need to just settle my nerves!😂

One thing to keep in mind as a solo...you'd be paying 2x what you bid on the upgrade - so if you bid $600, you'd be charged $1200. That alone keeps me from doing it.

14 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

One thing to keep in mind as a solo...you'd be paying 2x what you bid on the upgrade - so if you bid $600, you'd be charged $1200. That alone keeps me from doing it.

Yes, I know. Bid on three cabins, then I just snapped out of it. 😂

• Like 1

On 11/25/2023 at 4:19 PM, georgiaguy said:

We got a moveup to a sunset on Reflection last year and I dont recall any concerns with vibrations. It is a bit far down the hallway but as long as it isnt a mobility issue just think about it as burning extra calories!

I was on Reflection in an Aft deck 12 cabin in October and the Vibration was constant anyplace in the back of the ship. MDR, OVC and in the Tuscan Grill the knives that stand on edge on all the tables were shaking. I especially noticed it in my cabin  while sleeping but It didn't keep me awake!

Not bad enough to bother me but as a person with a great deal of mechanical experience I probably notice it more than most people.

My guess is a slightly out of balance Azapod prop .

Edited by D. B.