Anyone in a Sky Suite thinking to go down a level?

zitsky

54 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Who do you plan to ‘pester’?  If you are suggesting asking for a meeting with the Hotel Director to explain your concerns and disappointment then I think this is a great idea. The more guests who politely but firmly express they feel ‘short changed’ to those in a position to make changes or report back to corporate the better.

However, I think the hosts/room attendants and concierge staff are having a rubbish time as it is at the moment the last thing in the world they need is a guest demanding services they have been instructed not to provide…

Well I won’t need to call anyone.  There will be a letter from the Hotel Director in my cabin inviting me to the private Sky Suite tasting of Dom and Beluga caviar.  Because I’ve taken like 3 cruises with Celebrity.

But really, despite what some people say, X still advertises a team.  And they’ve never actually told me that there is no butler.  Prove me wrong.

I plan to call the Hotel Director if they don’t supply what I already paid for.  I’m not a revolutionary.  I haven’t demanded a return to tuxedos and ball gowns.  If the HD doesn’t want my feedback it’s pretty easy to tear up my message and throw it in the trash.

• Like 2

I have been sailing with Celebrity for 30+ years and sailing in suites (from SS to PH) for the past 12 or 13 years.  More than likely, I will continue to sail on Celebrity but I will not be booking suites in the future.  My next Celebrity sailing is in Concierge Class (cruise only rate - no perks included - we get complimentary beverage package and internet due to our Loyalty Status).  The price that Celebrity is currently charging for suites is OUTRAGEOUS.  There is no way I'm paying that kind of money for the diluted services and product Celebrity is now offering.

For comparison purposes I offer the following:  I am booked on MSC Yacht Club (balcony suite) for a 10 night Canada/New England sailing departing September 15.  Price is $4.2K per person.  Celebrity is offering an 11 night Canada/New England sailing departing September 19.  Entry level Sky Suite pricing is $9.1K per person.  I don't know who would ever pay nine-thousand dollars per person for the Sky Suite experience on Celebrity.  Also, the non-refundable deposit on MSC is total of $398 based on double occupancy whereas the non-refundable deposit on Celebrity is $1777 based on double occupancy.  

• Like 7

On 11/26/2023 at 10:21 AM, DaKahuna said:

I beg to disagree.  I prefer Michael's Club over the Retreat Lounge.  The atmosphere was more warm and the furniture much more comfortable than what you find in the Retreat Lounge. 

This has been discussed quite often and to be honest it all boils down to personal choice and preference. We were new to Retreat Class in Dec. 2021 on the Apex and LOVED the Retreat Lounge. We liked the brightness, light colors and beautiful large picture windows. And YES, we LIKED the Private Airport Lounge - like atmosphere. Almost exactly two months later in Feb. 2022 we were on the Reflection in Retreat Class for the second time ever. With Apex's Retreat Lounge fresh in mind we were very disappointed in the dark and old fashioned look of Michael's Club. The furniture was packed to the gills with no thought to room design but just to have enough seating. Yes the big bar is nice but as a couple we NEVER sit AT a bar but enjoy private seating away from any bar, so having a big bar in Michaels' Club was immaterial for us. I missed the mini food counter and it was only because the wonderful bartender Cranston would have a cheese plate reserved for me since at 6:30 - 6::45 Michael's Club no longer serves any snacks/tidbits that I like to have with my glass of wine before dinner at 7:30. Having the micro buffet/snack counter in the new Retreat Lounges allow me to have my evening Aperitivo without issue. Photos of both the Retreat Lounge on the Apex and Michaels Club on the Reflection.

PXL_20211219_235857424.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20211219_235908415.PORTRAIT.jpg

original_9db5eab3-082b-4835-9619-106f990c7810_PXL_20220227_000221695 (1).jpg

original_1dcec6ba-dd36-4a39-845f-66336b92de4d_PXL_20220227_000243564 (1).jpg

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 4

@kwokpot thanks for sharing the pics.  I have never sailed on a non-Edge class Celebrity ship.  I personally like bright and energetic too, and like how the flow of the ship interior works. (The new ships plus the 2022 version of the Retreat is what got us to pay attention to cruising during the pandemic.  Endless videos and then reading this board.).    And, I know from your posts you've got attention to detail.  So, I'm curious is the Michaels lounge carpet design seen in other places on the ship?  The Edge class Retreat lounge carpet is, of course, in the staterooms.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Yes the big bar is nice but as a couple we NEVER sit AT a bar but enjoy private seating away from any bar, so having a big bar in Michaels' Club was immaterial for us.

My wife and I are completely the opposite. Sitting at the bar is where you engage with the bartender, learn about different drinks, meet other passengers... Simply put, it's where the fun happens. Having no bar seating in the lounge on revolutionized and E-class ships (and no bar at all on Edge) is a big miss by Celebrity IMO. It's one of the many reasons I'm looking forward to MSC Yacht Club.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, RichYak said:

My wife and I are completely the opposite. Sitting at the bar is where you engage with the bartender, learn about different drinks, meet other passengers... Simply put, it's where the fun happens. Having no bar seating in the lounge on revolutionized and E-class ships (and no bar at all on Edge) is a big miss by Celebrity IMO. It's one of the many reasons I'm looking forward to MSC Yacht Club.

My husband is sober so hanging out at a bar is just something we don't do. If we order drinks from the bar we take them and find a seat elsewhere. Same thing at the Martini bar. We have no issues meeting other people and striking up conversations despite not sitting at the bar. If we're traveling with friends and/or family we certainly never would sit at the bar. But even for me I'm not a drinker and the on a cruise three drinks/day is my max. Even in my younger days I never hung out at the bar, I would order my drink and observe the action from across the room. 

17 minutes ago, RichYak said:

1 minute ago, kwokpot said:

My husband is sober so hanging out at a bar is just something we don't do. If we order drinks from the bar we take them and find a seat elsewhere. Same thing at the Martini bar. We have no issues meeting other people and striking up conversations despite not sitting at the bar. If we're traveling with friends and/or family we certainly never would sit at the bar. But even for me I'm not a drinker and the on a cruise three drinks/day is my max. Even in my younger days I never hung out at the bar, I would order my drink and observe the action from across the room. 

My wife and I almost always sit at the bar. On a cruise ship, in a hotel bar, etc. We both just find it more fun. We have been to a few places that didn't have bar seating and were staffed to deal with that, but in general we'll sit at the bar. And if I'm traveling by myself (on land) I pretty much universally sit at the bar for drinks and food.

And I think your two posts highlight why some love Michaels and some love the new Retreat Lounges. Glad I'm not in the business of designing ship's lounges!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, markeb said:

My wife and I almost always sit at the bar. On a cruise ship, in a hotel bar, etc. We both just find it more fun. We have been to a few places that didn't have bar seating and were staffed to deal with that, but in general we'll sit at the bar. And if I'm traveling by myself (on land) I pretty much universally sit at the bar for drinks and food.

And I think your two posts highlight why some love Michaels and some love the new Retreat Lounges. Glad I'm not in the business of designing ship's lounges!

I don't think they thought about efficient drink delivery in the Retreat.  It's kind of an afterthought.  What I do find helpful is the Edge class Retreat lounges don't look like other places on the ship, aside from the carpet and general design influences.  I guess it looks like a living room for the staterooms (SS and CSs).  So, it's not the same look as the martini bar, world class, Cafe, Eden or any of the food venues, and obviously the rest of the ship is enjoyable and as much or more a draw at different times of day.  (A concern I have about Yacht Club, from what I've seen on YT and trip reports is the rest of the ship).  One doesn't need Retreat on Celebrity is perhaps the point, IF they keep up the rest of the ship, service, and food.  And, given the differential that may be needed to justify Retreat pricing, management seems to be willing to play with the rest of the ship.  The Ascent seafood extravaganza is encouraging (although lunch didn't seem to be toyed with like dinner and then MDRs), waiting for drinks at the Martini bar, and other issues seem like widespread staffing issues that one way or another impact everyone.  I don't have enough info about other mass market lines to know if it's the norm or not for ships to frequently need more crew at venues.  (I do read often seating at NCL live music venues is sparse, like Eden can get on a busy night, and have seen Edge class theater shows with standing room only and could have used a matinee or something to ease the demand.). 

Edited by Cap_D
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, markeb said:

And I think your two posts highlight why some love Michaels and some love the new Retreat Lounges.

Agreed, different strokes for different folks and I take issue with neither side. But this entire side conversation started with one person making the claim that Michael's Club isn't a Retreat Lounge. That comment was utter nonsense.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cap_D said:

@kwokpot thanks for sharing the pics.  I have never sailed on a non-Edge class Celebrity ship.  I personally like bright and energetic too, and like how the flow of the ship interior works. (The new ships plus the 2022 version of the Retreat is what got us to pay attention to cruising during the pandemic.  Endless videos and then reading this board.).    And, I know from your posts you've got attention to detail.  So, I'm curious is the Michaels lounge carpet design seen in other places on the ship?  The Edge class Retreat lounge carpet is, of course, in the staterooms.  

I have a personal interest in architecture and Interior design so I do pay attention to the design and aesthetics of whatever environment I'm in. Having said that you ask a very specific question and If my recollection is correct the carpet designs and colors of the other parts of the ship were a bit more interesting and less dull. Michael's Club on S-Class ships sits off the Ensemble Lounge bar area which usually has a dark and intimate decor itself. I distinctly remember that the overall decor of Michaels Club seemed much more dated than the rest of the ship and it was a somber like environment evoking a stuffy Private Mens Club from the '70s & '80s.

Edited by kwokpot
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Cap_D said:

I guess it looks like a living room for the staterooms (SS and CSs).

Nicely put! Which is why even with the newer E-Class ships that have a bar in the Retreat Lounge it's more of a service bar without seating for precisely the reason you state. 

Edited by kwokpot

18 hours ago, buncosquad said:

Sky Suite = expectations will knowingly not be met (or at least not as they once were)

Realizing this going in, alas, one would seem only to have themselves to blame.

Agreed, IF the booking was made after 4 October 2023.

Much of the angst on this subject is from those who booked prior to 4 October 2023 and rightly so :

* they did not receive any direct communication about the change to their booked cruise/s from Celebrity.

* they are not getting all they paid for when they booked the cruise/s.

* there was no reduction in their cruise fare to offset the inclusions they no longer would receive.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kwokpot said:

This has been discussed quite often and to be honest it all boils down to personal choice and preference. We were new to Retreat Class in Dec. 2021 on the Apex and LOVED the Retreat Lounge. We liked the brightness, light colors and beautiful large picture windows. And YES, we LIKED the Private Airport Lounge - like atmosphere. Almost exactly two months later in Feb. 2022 we were on the Reflection in Retreat Class for the second time ever. With Apex's Retreat Lounge fresh in mind we were very disappointed in the dark and old fashioned look of Michael's Club. The furniture was packed to the gills with no thought to room design but just to have enough seating. Yes the big bar is nice but as a couple we NEVER sit AT a bar but enjoy private seating away from any bar, so having a big bar in Michaels' Club was immaterial for us. I missed the mini food counter and it was only because the wonderful bartender Cranston would have a cheese plate reserved for me since at 6:30 - 6::45 Michael's Club no longer serves any snacks/tidbits that I like to have with my glass of wine before dinner at 7:30. Having the micro buffet/snack counter in the new Retreat Lounges allow me to have my evening Aperitivo without issue. Photos of both the Retreat Lounge on the Apex and Michaels Club on the Reflection.

I agree 100% that it comes down to personal preference. 

We have only sailed once on an Edge-class and that was on Edge in February 2020.  While the lounge on the E-class, as shown in your pictures, is bright and airy the furniture I found to be very uncomfortable.  Maybe being in my 70's and 6-ft 240-lbs has something to do with it, i do not know but I felt a lot more comfortable in those plush chairs and on the couch along the wall on Reflection than I ever did on Edge. 

Cranston was amazing.  I did spend a lot of time just sitting and talking with him in the evenings. The only time I sat at the bar was when I went in for a nightcap after my DW had retried to our suite for the evening.   He even went out of his way to bring us our favorite drinks when we were sitting in the Ensemble lounge listening to music and he would see us there.  (We normally sat close to the Lounge entrance).  

We stopped in a few times for the pre-dinner snacks, which were served vs being on a counter top.  We normally ate dinner around 6:30 -7:00 pm. 

• Like 2

We will do a regular balcony room on our transatlantic.

Bathroom was nice but we did not use the tub.  Plus, I have mobility issues and it was a bit scary getting into.

Nice amount of room, but, we did not use half.

Huge balcony but we only used a few times since there was no shade.

Luminae was nice but we ended up ordering off the MDR at least half the time.

Plus, being retired, we need to watch our pennies.

We did not get reserved seating in the theater.  Plenty of seats, no big deal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aml3679 said:

This is unusual but we have not sailed since May. We have never seen Celebrity not have the reserved seating on Evening Chic nights in the 2nd level of the theater.  There has always been at least one butler stationed on each side of the theater greeting suite guest.  I guess this is another thing that has gone away since the reduction in services for Sky Suite guest. 

I have been in a Sky Suite twice. My last cruise was an infinite veranda on the Beyond. I loved rotating dinners at the 4 main dining rooms. We also ate twice at specialty restaurants. I preferred this food to Luminae, particularly since it may be difficult to substitute food from the main dining room on an Edge class ship. 

All my celebrity cruises have been in suites , first was a free upgrade to suite and I love the cabin and perks , because of recent prices we are currently on rccl grand suite on harmony which is almost 2k less per person that celebrity sky suites we recently priced. MSc yacht club is another great alternative to celebrity, I actually prefer perks on yacht club. Our next cruise is a royal suite on a music charter that was reasonably priced on Summit. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kwokpot said:

PXL_20211219_235857424.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20211219_235908415.PORTRAIT.jpg

original_9db5eab3-082b-4835-9619-106f990c7810_PXL_20220227_000221695 (1).jpg

original_1dcec6ba-dd36-4a39-845f-66336b92de4d_PXL_20220227_000243564 (1).jpg

1st two look like an IKEA  hodgepodge..not very upscale in design, decor or artwork

the second 2  while much better quality and set up....are in a VERY dark room!

Either way, plus and minus to each

We never sit at a bar if we can avoid it;

and I personally disike the odor of alcohol which can permeate a bar area

• Like 1

7 hours ago, aml3679 said:

We will do a regular balcony room on our transatlantic.

Bathroom was nice but we did not use the tub.  Plus, I have mobility issues and it was a bit scary getting into.

Nice amount of room, but, we did not use half.

Huge balcony but we only used a few times since there was no shade.

Luminae was nice but we ended up ordering off the MDR at least half the time.

Plus, being retired, we need to watch our pennies.

we never used the balcony on BEYOND

the tub shower.. while nice for a soak was slippery..not enough grab bars  and dangerous!

Luminae...quite meh

• Like 2

I've briefly looked over this thread - can someone summarize what's happened with those booking Sky Suites (or, more specifically, what's been taken away perk-wise)?

I think that Aqua might be our sweet spot - save a few/several grand and pay for our own drinks and specialty dining, while still having a "private" dining room.

The last suite we paid for was two weeks in a RS on the Reflection (Thanksgiving '22). Thanks to the Blue Chip Club, it came to about $10k total - with all associated benefits. Fast forward to today (well, most of this year) and all that I get from them is an offer for a "Free" inside cabin on a select few sailings... Honestly, they're wasting their postage if they think I'm going to bite.

Tom

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I've briefly looked over this thread - can someone summarize what's happened with those booking Sky Suites (or, more specifically, what's been taken away perk-wise)?

I think that Aqua might be our sweet spot - save a few/several grand and pay for our own drinks and specialty dining, while still having a "private" dining room.

The last suite we paid for was two weeks in a RS on the Reflection (Thanksgiving '22). Thanks to the Blue Chip Club, it came to about $10k total - with all associated benefits. Fast forward to today (well, most of this year) and all that I get from them is an offer for a "Free" inside cabin on a select few sailings... Honestly, they're wasting their postage if they think I'm going to bite.

Tom

What’s happening in Sky Suites?  Give us your wallet.  Now take it like a man and don’t complain.  There is debate here whether the Sky Team for SS is delivering any service at all.

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

For new bookings, no more OBC and no prepaid gratuities. For new and existing bookings, no butler. On the plus side, your stateroom attendant has a fancy new made-up title to make you think they're something that they're not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, RichYak said:

For new bookings, no more OBC and no prepaid gratuities. For new and existing bookings, no butler. On the plus side, your stateroom attendant has a fancy new made-up title to make you think they're something that they're not.

Thanks.

Of course, there's usually the added fun of communication challenges with many of the stateroom attendants.

Tom

Here is my two cents on the Sky Suite experience I just had on the Apex. I am a first time Celebrity cruiser. The day we got on ship the Head Butler made an appearance late in the afternoon and gave us his card. Our only request at that time was for some extra hangers. He left and we never saw him around again. Late in the day the Retreat Host, otherwise known as Room Steward, brought us the hangers and his card. We asked him about emptying the minibar so we could use it. He said he would but it never happened, so I did it. He said we could have the two bottles of Evian water in the room but all others would be charged. He said he would bring two plastic bottles of water each day to the room but it didn’t happen until about day 3. There was no introduction to the features of the suite such as room controls for air or drapes or how the shower controls worked. I had to search for him in the hall the next morning because I could not figure out the shower controls at all. When I needed a different type of pillow I mentioned it to the Retreat Concierge in the lounge and she said she would take care of it. It never happened but I was able to catch the room steward and he did get it for me. Missing bath mat one day, washcloth another day, had to change over toilet paper roll and kleenex box another day myself. 
     All in all, these were not major problems but I definitely did not feel we had the  suite experience I thought I would be getting when I booked the cruise with a Butler experience. This was no different than any other room experience with a regular room steward. The price of the Sky Suite seems to have doubled from when I booked it and also no longer includes room credit or tips. I don’t think I could justify the price any more, even though the room was nice and we did enjoy the lounge. I could make do without Luminae as we only ate there two out of seven nights.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1