Viking 'Tulips & Windmills': Changes to itinerary

pontac

If you're considering booking Viking's 'Tulips & Windmills' cruise based on brochures, check itinerary online before booking. I booked last year for 27Mar24 and received this info on 15Nov23

As you may be aware, schedule or itinerary changes may become necessary due to a number of variables. In this instance, in order to improve the guest experience, we have replaced our previously planned stops in Hoorn and Arnhem, in the Netherlands, as well as Ghent, Belgium, with new destinations.

• Day 3: Enkhuizen, Netherlands (previously Hoorn)
  • Day 4: Nijmegen, Netherlands (previously Arnhem)
  • Day 7: Middelburg and Veere, Netherlands (previously Ghent)

a few day after receiving this I got a flyer from Viking offering discounts on the cruise which shows the ports no longer visited.

I'm looking forward to my guest experience being improved 😉 but part of the attraction of the trip may have been visiting Ghent and the 'Bridge too Far'.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2023 at 5:56 AM, pontac said:

If you're considering booking Viking's 'Tulips & Windmills' cruise based on brochures, check itinerary online before booking. I booked last year for 27Mar24 and received this info on 15Nov23

As you may be aware, schedule or itinerary changes may become necessary due to a number of variables. In this instance, in order to improve the guest experience, we have replaced our previously planned stops in Hoorn and Arnhem, in the Netherlands, as well as Ghent, Belgium, with new destinations.

• Day 3: Enkhuizen, Netherlands (previously Hoorn)
  • Day 4: Nijmegen, Netherlands (previously Arnhem)
  • Day 7: Middelburg and Veere, Netherlands (previously Ghent)

a few day after receiving this I got a flyer from Viking offering discounts on the cruise which shows the ports no longer visited.

I'm looking forward to my guest experience being improved 😉 but part of the attraction of the trip may have been visiting Ghent and the 'Bridge too Far'.

You may have already noted that the excursions have now been posted and the Nijmegen port includes a tour of Arnhem, the bridge too far.  Nijmegen is 13 miles from Arnhem.

• Thanks 1

If you haven't been to Zuiderzee, we really enjoyed it. Enkhuizen was also a nice town to wander around, although most of what we saw was our walking back to the train station (no map, so did get a bit of a tour 🙂). 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2023 at 2:48 PM, thorntor said:

You may have already noted that the excursions have now been posted and the Nijmegen port includes a tour of Arnhem, the bridge too far.  Nijmegen is 13 miles from Arnhem.

Thanks for this, we haven't looked at MVJ recently.

(Been abroad on holiday hence my delay in replying)

We are booked on that voyage also. We have cruised a lot, including several Viking Ocean cruises but this will be our first river cruise. So looking forward to seeing the tulips (I hope) and also Bruges. 

We will be staying in Amsterdam post cruise (on our own) for 4 days. 

Hope to meet you onboard...

Hi @bobbysgirl48

We've not been on any ocean cruise, but plenty of river cruises. From reading this board I understand you'll find they are not the same in many ways but I expect you'll greatly enjoy it.

Mrs P wanted to see the tulips also, which is why we booked this cruise.

We are on the upper deck in cabin 336 and I'll be wearing a bow tie at dinner. There are photos of me with my trip reports on this board, and here's me on the Rhone in August.

We're looking forward to meeting you

20230818_Viviers-me-champagne.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi there, we are booked on the ship embarking on April 4th and have experienced the same change in ports. The ports are not so much the issue for me, but rather the changes in excursions. The change on Day 4 (now Nijmegen, previously Arnhem) had two excursion to De Hoge Veluwe National Park (one that included bike-riding through the park and the other to the Kröller-Müller Museum within the park). I don't understand why those excursions were eliminated. As one commentor noted, the distance is not that great. I made my own reservations for the park, but am struggling with transportation because Day 4 for us is a Sunday (and I cannot find any car rental agencies open that day nearby). Yes--I know I can take a train--but, the train is 1.5 hours each way versus 40 minutes via car. I'd rather maximize the time spent at this amazing place. Another excursion was similarly cancelled (cheese-making) because of a change in port; we ended up combining cheese-making with visit to Kinderdijk Windmills. We originally planned to do bike-riding that day. I can understand changes in ports, but not excursions. Hmmph. 

12 hours ago, JulieLL said:

Hi there, we are booked on the ship embarking on April 4th and have experienced the same change in ports. The ports are not so much the issue for me, but rather the changes in excursions. The change on Day 4 (now Nijmegen, previously Arnhem) had two excursion to De Hoge Veluwe National Park (one that included bike-riding through the park and the other to the Kröller-Müller Museum within the park). I don't understand why those excursions were eliminated. As one commentor noted, the distance is not that great. I made my own reservations for the park, but am struggling with transportation because Day 4 for us is a Sunday (and I cannot find any car rental agencies open that day nearby). Yes--I know I can take a train--but, the train is 1.5 hours each way versus 40 minutes via car. I'd rather maximize the time spent at this amazing place. Another excursion was similarly cancelled (cheese-making) because of a change in port; we ended up combining cheese-making with visit to Kinderdijk Windmills. We originally planned to do bike-riding that day. I can understand changes in ports, but not excursions. Hmmph. 

You are probably very aware of this, but just be cautious whether you are taking the train or renting a car, and any reservations that you make, that:

1)  You are back onboard the ship 30+ minutes before sailing time

2)  You have good cancelation with either a car rental or a train ticket, or an attraction ticket in case the port and itinerary change again.  That can happen.

Thank you for your words of caution, CDNPolar. I thought of the first and called Viking to find out the time we departed from Nijmegen (and, it isn't until ~3am); I think we ought to arrive back in plenty of time. 😉 Regarding the second point you raise, we decided to wait until on board before booking a car (admittedly because I cannot find any rental agency open on Sunday that is nearby)--worst case scenario is that we will have to take a train or UBER.

1 hour ago, JulieLL said:

Thank you for your words of caution, CDNPolar. I thought of the first and called Viking to find out the time we departed from Nijmegen (and, it isn't until ~3am); I think we ought to arrive back in plenty of time. 😉 Regarding the second point you raise, we decided to wait until on board before booking a car (admittedly because I cannot find any rental agency open on Sunday that is nearby)--worst case scenario is that we will have to take a train or UBER.

Uber can be a good option in most cities...

Check out Viator - owned by Trip Advisor - and look at private and group tours.  This has been a good experience for us and as an aggregator they offer a lot of different types of tours.

16 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

You are probably very aware of this, but just be cautious whether you are taking the train or renting a car, and any reservations that you make, that:

1)  You are back onboard the ship 30+ minutes before sailing time

2)  You have good cancelation with either a car rental or a train ticket, or an attraction ticket in case the port and itinerary change again.  That can happen.

Also, be sure you know where the ship will be located---it may be moving to another docking area or using the time to pass through a lock---do not assume the ship will be where you disembarked.

6 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

Also, be sure you know where the ship will be located---it may be moving to another docking area or using the time to pass through a lock---do not assume the ship will be where you disembarked.

YES - very good advice.  On Viking River cruises, and I am sure other lines do the same, you can get off at "A" but you board back at "B" because the ship moves while you are on excursion.  

• 2 weeks later...

I am booked on the Tulips and Windmill tour embarking on Apr 29 and was terribly disappointed in the change of excursion from the Kroller-Muller Museum. That was the highlight of my last trip there. Is there any way for several people to meet online and rent a car together to drive there?We are in Nijmegen on Thursday May 2, I believe. Does Viking have a forum?

15 hours ago, janieg510 said:

I am booked on the Tulips and Windmill tour embarking on Apr 29 and was terribly disappointed in the change of excursion from the Kroller-Muller Museum. That was the highlight of my last trip there. Is there any way for several people to meet online and rent a car together to drive there?We are in Nijmegen on Thursday May 2, I believe. Does Viking have a forum?

Check out private tour companies that would pick you up at the dock and take you there.  Viator owned by Trip Advisor is one that we use frequently.  

Just make sure that you know your docking arrival time and the back on board time and that your tour company can make these times.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Check out private tour companies that would pick you up at the dock and take you there.  Viator owned by Trip Advisor is one that we use frequently. 

Viator is not a tour company. It is a third party booker of tours. It is better to deal directly with the tour company.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Viator is not a tour company. It is a third party booker of tours. It is better to deal directly with the tour company.

Thank you for the clarification.

Appreciating that you prefer to work with the tour company directly, we have had excellent experiences working through Viator.  Most often immediately after booking through Viator the tour company texts or emails us and then we are working directly with that tour company.

Why we prefer Viator is they have a more relaxed cancelation policy than many of the tour companies that we have contacted directly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, janieg510 said:

Uber worked well for us in Netherlands a few months back.  Just know when you have to be back on board.  Our Viking cards that you swipe when you leave the boat has the ships number on it...in case anything changes.

(I looked up this cruise, the Viking page has you visiting Arnhem, not Nijmegen?

Arnhem, from the river to the museum is 27 kms, Nijmegan is further away at 40-45 km.) 

This site will start posting flowering conditions shortly.  Are you flying in early?

https://tulipsinholland.com/faq-tulips-and-keukenhof/weekly-tulips-and-flower-update/

Enjoy your cruise.

17 hours ago, ural guy said:

(I looked up this cruise, the Viking page has you visiting Arnhem, not Nijmegen?

Are you looking at the 2025 itinerary?

Just this year - 2024 - it seems they cannot moor at Arnhem and are stopping at Nijmegen instead. See my OP at top of thread for itinerary changes received from Viking

2 hours ago, pontac said:

Are you looking at the 2025 itinerary?

Just this year - 2024 - it seems they cannot moor at Arnhem and are stopping at Nijmegen instead. See my OP at top of thread for itinerary changes received from Viking

Also, the choice of included excursion is either a walking tour of Nijmegen or a visit to Arnhem, which includes the Airborne museum and Operation Market Garden.  The is a more in-depth tour dealing with Operation MG, in the afternoon (optional, at additional cost).

On 3/4/2024 at 12:34 PM, ural guy said:

Uber worked well for us in Netherlands a few months back.  Just know when you have to be back on board.  Our Viking cards that you swipe when you leave the boat has the ships number on it...in case anything changes.

Arnhem, from the river to the museum is 27 kms, Nijmegan is further away at 40-45 km.) 

This site will start posting flowering conditions shortly.  Are you flying in early?

https://tulipsinholland.com/faq-tulips-and-keukenhof/weekly-tulips-and-flower-update/

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for the flowering info.  Yes, we received an update recently that we will not moor in Arnhem, thus not offering the Kroller excursion. Seems Uber would be very expensive for 40 kms for 1 person which is why I’m looking into joining a group. 

For anyone else impacted, depending on how long you're in Arnhem, there are a few other top notch places to visit, that you can get to via 20 minute local bus. 

Burger's Zoo: Lots of indoor exhibits, like a desert area that are under a dome, interesting and nice in bad weather.  Outdoor animals have very large enclosures.  

https://www.burgerszoo.com/

Open Air Museum:  They've transported windmills, houses, factories, school buildings and even a 100 year old trolley that makes stops throughout the park.  One of the best I've ever been to.

https://www.openluchtmuseum.nl/

Musispark:  If you just want a nice walk, this park has numerous water features, a small museum at a mill, tons of friendly dogs with their people, having fun.  

Hartenstein Museum is very well done, in a former hotel, that later served as British HQ during part of the battle.  I rented a bike from the train station, it is a nice ride, and you get to experience the few hills and woods of Netherlands.  A short detour is to a chapel that the Poles and Brits defended to the end to protect the river crossing.  Still numerous bullet pock marks.  

https://www.museum.nl/en/airborne-museum-at-hartenstein

There are a few other Market Garden museums, including a small one adjacent Frost Bridge.  You still see Pegasus Banners (British patch had a Pegasus, AIRBORNE!), and markers throughout the town, the Dutch still remember.  Some war graves are still tended by the original person who adopted them right after the war, through a Dutch program.  There was a write up in the papers a few years ago about this.

I really like Arnhem as you can tell, been several times, sent oldest daughter/SIL there, they loved it, brought spouse after my initial recon, she loved it.  Easy direct train from Schipol Airport, we'd stay in 10 room hotel 150 meter from train station.

Our stop in December was canceled due to high water, Christmas Day. We were looking forward to the zoo, now youngest daughter will have to go back.

The new itinerary bypasses Ghent, which is a slight disappointment.  I believe the ships used to dock in Ghent, and passengers were bussed to Bruges for either a half day or full day.  We had hoped to spend a half day in Bruges and see Ghent for the other half.  Having recently discovered my Belgian heritage, I hoped to see as much of Belgium as I could.  Oh well....