Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

4 minutes ago, The sea calls my name said:

Definitely no problem getting your needed steps in ( or unneeded ones as well) 🤣

?? Is Icon now doing a world cruise?  

Edited by island lady

8 hours ago, The sea calls my name said:

True, but with 7 pools, lots of options.  What we were told is that It had right at 5000 revenue passengers, the other 400-500 were corporate, special quest etc.  So not near at total capacity.

Short of capacity by 2,000, it sure as hell better not feel crowded.   

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, island lady said:

Bucky told me it was quite common in the coal piles.   

I could imagine the stories that could be shared from those days. 

9 hours ago, island lady said:

Really enjoyed our visit here.  If there was one snag...it was the pick pocket that got me.  😮  First time for me. 

I have always had the habit of putting 10-15 dollars of small bills in my left back pocket as "decoy".  Figured if they find that, they will be happy and not look further for the CC, passport card, and large bill I have stuffed in my front pocket that is buttoned down.  Plus I carry my tiny "port purse" in front of me that has hand sanitizer, lip balm, reading glasses, more cash....and my phone.  

I never felt it...they were that good.  Oh well, I guess they were needing that 12 bucks more than I did.  😉 

A small sacrifice to the gods, so to speak. 

9 hours ago, island lady said:

Yeah, hit and run brush with my butt.  😳

Did you check if Bucky had $12 more?😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 21

Captain made an announcement yesterday about the strong winds we were due to encounter on the way north.  Gap winds they call it when I researched it...something new to me not being on the "left coast".  Told us he is going to do a bit of evasive sailing adding a bit more distance to our original route...which by the map shows he has elected to hug the coast line for more wind protection, versus "as the crow flies" direct route.

Supposedly going to pull out of it around mid day today.  A bit challenging pulling open the balcony door.  North winds hitting us here on the starboard side pretty strong.  

20240206_081454.jpg

20240206_081740.jpg

20240206_081754.jpg

Edited by island lady
  • Like 9

13 hours ago, island lady said:

Really enjoyed our visit here.  If there was one snag...it was the pick pocket that got me.  😮  First time for me. 

I have always had the habit of putting 10-15 dollars of small bills in my left back pocket as "decoy".  Figured if they find that, they will be happy and not look further for the CC, passport card, and large bill I have stuffed in my front pocket that is buttoned down.  Plus I carry my tiny "port purse" in front of me that has hand sanitizer, lip balm, reading glasses, more cash....and my phone.  

I never felt it...they were that good.  Oh well, I guess they were needing that 12 bucks more than I did.  😉 

Glad you liked your tour in Antigua!  It looked fabulous!  Very smart to have the decoy pocket - glad it was only $12.  We spoke to others last night that also enjoyed their day in Antigua.

We elected to stay on the ship instead of taking our planned, long, 8 hour tour since we will be back in October.  Hopefully the weather will be cooler then.  We wandered around the Port area a bit and Jim bought a shirt from one of the vendors.  There was a lovely band playing in the little park area, and we enjoyed their music from our balcony all afternoon.  Funny - the Port area also had a Jade Museum!

IMG_3852.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, pstone1 said:

Glad you liked your tour in Antigua!  It looked fabulous!  Very smart to have the decoy pocket - glad it was only $12.  We spoke to others last night that also enjoyed their day in Antigua.

We elected to stay on the ship instead of taking our planned, long, 8 hour tour since we will be back in October.  Hopefully the weather will be cooler then.  We wandered around the Port area a bit and Jim bought a shirt from one of the vendors.  There was a lovely band playing in the little park area, and we enjoyed their music from our balcony all afternoon.  Funny - the Port area also had a Jade Museum!

IMG_3852.jpeg

Cute picture!   Yeah, the satellite store at the port is owned by the same people in Antiqua.  🙂 

I hope you will enjoy your tour in October...I know we sure did!  

• Like 1

IMG_3852.jpeg

Jade Museum is owned/operated by same owners of museum in Antigua.  

3 minutes ago, ILCTCRUISER said:

Now where did I read that just recently.  😉 😄 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, island lady said:

Cute picture!   Yeah, the satellite store at the port is owned by the same people in Antiqua.  🙂 

I hope you will enjoy your tour in October...I know we sure did!  

2 minutes ago, ILCTCRUISER said:

Figured they were the same owners when they both had the same statue!  Definitely eye catching!  😉

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, island lady said:

Sorry...could not resist...you know I was just messing with you.  😉  I can't tell you how many times I have done the same thing. 🥰

We were in Antigua last March.  2nd time in Antigua.  Did anyone sit in for the presentation.  We were lucky enough to have the owner give the talk and she was very, very interesting.  She and her husband (who’s deceased), both geologists I believe,  went to Guatemala to search for jade.  Jay and Mary Lou Ridinger.  And did they hit the payload!  She was delightful.  And YES, I knew!

Edited by ILCTCRUISER
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ILCTCRUISER said:

We were in Antigua last March.  2nd time in Antigua.  Did anyone sit in for the presentation.  We were lucky enough to have the owner give the talk and she was very, very interesting.  She and her husband (who’s deceased), both geologists I believe,  went to Guatemala to search for jade.  Jay and Mary Lou Ridinger.  And did they hit the payload!  She was delightful.  And YES, I knew!

We did not see the presentation.  Thanks for pointing it out though as we will plan to do it next time!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, pstone1 said:

Jim just took this video of the ocean!  It’s so hard to capture it in a photo, but the video is pretty cool!  Despite the waves, and thanks to Capt. Stig, we are enjoying a pretty smooth ride!

IMG_2240.mov

Yup, just love those .mov files.🙂

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, island lady said:

Captain made an announcement yesterday about the strong winds we were due to encounter on the way north.  Gap winds they call it when I researched it...something new to me not being on the "left coast".

Had those same conditions on both of our Costa Rica/Huatulco legs in November. Apparently that is a fairly pervasive condition in that part of the coast.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ILCTCRUISER said:

Yes, we indeed did and were very impressed with her talk.  What a life they lead!  Fascinating indeed!  So sad she lost her soul mate.  😞 

Fantastic business she runs there...true quality Jade and set up perfect for the tourist trade.  

Jim just took this video of the ocean!  It’s so hard to capture it in a photo, but the video is pretty cool!  Despite the waves, and thanks to Capt. Stig, we are enjoying a pretty smooth ride!

IMG_2240.mov

For OB and any other Android users who are .mov challenged.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 11
  • Haha 1