Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

Flag Parade today to celebrate all the nationalities who work aboard the ship.  Lots of good stuff in the parade!  Here is our new captain representing Norway -- Captain Kjell Nordmo (first name is pronounced "Shell.").  A warm "welcome aboard" to Captain Kjell!  🙂

07NorwayCaptKjell.JPG

• Like 18

37 minutes ago, LadyZolt said:

Flag Parade today to celebrate all the nationalities who work aboard the ship.  Lots of good stuff in the parade!  Here is our new captain representing Norway -- Captain Kjell Nordmo (first name is pronounced "Shell.").  A warm "welcome aboard" to Captain Kjell!  🙂

07NorwayCaptKjell.JPG

Met him coming on board for the first time just off the tender.  His wife is super nice as well.  🙂 

Thanks for keeping this thread active and great picture!  🥰

• Like 4

6 hours ago, island lady said:

Current position.  Sea day (again)...on our way to the last port of call for this first quarter.  Very chilly out, and seas a bit rough with higher winds again.  

20240209_094701.jpg

I'm in So. Cal and yesterday was the 1st day with a bit of sun in over a week. Temps are definitely cool (for us). Tomorrow may be a bit bumpy and that's not unusual for that part of the Pacific Ocean.  Thanks for taking us along on your adventure and safe travels home on Sunday. 

• Like 2

On 2/7/2024 at 8:45 AM, CSHS1979 said:

Apparently at coffee talk, Captain Stig said we are going nowhere near Red Sea.😮 Details around February 16

I wish to say safe travels to everyone getting off in LA, and thank you again for this ongoing review.

Whomever is staying aboard, and those embarking in LA, please keep us informed about the Suez/Red Sea issue. Feb 16 is only a week away and I for one will be eagerly awaiting any update on this thread.

Princess a few days ago, and now Virgin just yesterday, have cancelled everything north of Sydney (Via Singapore, India, Dubai)... they have both opted to sail the more direct & shorter route to get around Africa via Melbourne, Perth, Mauritius, Cape Town and around into the Med..

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, island lady said:

Thanks...joining the ranks of virtual world cruisers until July, when you get to put up with me again.  😄 

Thanks for all your posts. It's been really interesting . Safe travels home

We're on the bcn-s'ton leg with you, so hope to say hi in person then 👋

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

I wish to say safe travels to everyone getting off in LA, and thank you again for this ongoing review.

Whomever is staying aboard, and those embarking in LA, please keep us informed about the Suez/Red Sea issue. Feb 16 is only a week away and I for one will be eagerly awaiting any update on this thread.

Princess a few days ago, and now Virgin just yesterday, have cancelled everything north of Sydney (Via Singapore, India, Dubai)... they have both opted to sail the more direct & shorter route to get around Africa via Melbourne, Perth, Mauritius, Cape Town and around into the Med..

Genuine question. Did any of those cruises have any embarkations planned at any of those ports or is that something unique to this one?

43 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

I'm in So. Cal and yesterday was the 1st day with a bit of sun in over a week. Temps are definitely cool (for us). Tomorrow may be a bit bumpy and that's not unusual for that part of the Pacific Ocean.  Thanks for taking us along on your adventure and safe travels home on Sunday. 

Thanks and you are most welcome!  I enjoyed posting the adventure to share.  🙂 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Thanks for all your posts. It's been really interesting . Safe travels home

We're on the bcn-s'ton leg with you, so hope to say hi in person then 👋

Thanks!  Hope to "sea" you then!  🙂 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tatra603 said:

Genuine question. Did any of those cruises have any embarkations planned at any of those ports or is that something unique to this one?

Princess had a 22 or 23 day segment that started in Dubai to Civitevecchia. That would have taken them through the Suez with stops in Saudi Arabia, Jordan and Israel before entering the Med. 
Princess now has that segment ending in Capetown, 5 days earlier. Those scheduled to board in Dubai are now having to fly to Capetown to board.  
So this is not unique to Royal. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, shootingstar07 said:

Princess had a 22 or 23 day segment that started in Dubai to Civitevecchia. That would have taken them through the Suez with stops in Saudi Arabia, Jordan and Israel before entering the Med. 
Princess now has that segment ending in Capetown, 5 days earlier. Those scheduled to board in Dubai are now having to fly to Capetown to board.  
So this is not unique to Royal. 

Cunard's Queen Mary 2 and Holland America's Zuiderdam have also altered their world cruise  itineraries to avoid traveling through the Red Sea or stopping in Dubai: 

• Like 1

A few safety tips for anyone doing shore excursions in LA on Sunday.  Beware of pickpockets, especially if you are visiting the Hollywood walk of fame.  If you rent a car to explore on your own, don't leave any valuables in the car - smash and grab theft is common throughout the area. (It's not just other countries that have these sorts of problems.)

1 hour ago, juanrod said:

So cal wanted to welcome you in styles 😳 we just had 4.6 earthquake @island lady, rain has stopped but 50 degrees out 

Oh no...you too?  I knew about big island Hawaii...but not about you getting one.  But I suppose it's all related?   Even back home near Port Canaveral they had a very rare one recently.   

Mother Nature deciding she wants to be "All shook up"?  

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

We were notified yesterday that our May 17 Regent Miami to NYC cruise was cancelled. Ship is Regent Mariner and she is on a World Cruise. Prior to our cruise she was to go Abu Dhabi throught the Suez Canal then from Civitavecchia to Miami. We understand the why but were not happy with what Regent offered.....which was a full refund (which we're taking) or 30% off one of their 3 "new" itineraries which will go from Abu Dhabi to Cape Town, Cape Town to Lisbon and Lisbon to Miami. Great itineraries but the pricing wasn't. I hope RCI announces their plans for Serenade soon and makes a good offer to booked guests on cancelled/altered cruises.  

• Thanks 1

On 2/5/2024 at 7:36 PM, taglovestocruise said:

I just watched a few YouTube video reviews of Icon. All three reviewers said Icon was the most Uncrowded ship they have ever been on. Easy to find a empty lounger by the pool at noon.. True or untrue.  

We said the same thing when we sailed Odyssey in July 2022 after the Covid restart when ships were not sailing at peak capacity (like Icon was not).  We were packed on Odyssey in March, and it was the most crowded ship I have ever been on (spring break).  Let's see how Icon does if they are sailing at full capacity for March Break this year, then we will know for sure.  Back to the Serenade, which we have never been on yet, I keep seeing all these posts about how the ship is about 70% full.  It would be nice when we join in Southampton, but being summer, I will expect it to be close to sold out.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, island lady said:

Met him coming on board for the first time just off the tender.  His wife is super nice as well.  🙂 

Thanks for keeping this thread active and great picture!  🥰

Your lucky your getting off!!  He just got his license. 😉

• Haha 3

It seems that FB now has AI features to improve your posts. I wonder when CC will add them.

Here is an example from tonight

This is how John wrote this.

Apparently we're running out of pepperoni. It's so bad that crew that are allowed to eat in Park Cafe can't order pepperoni pizza

Here it is with AI, and Make it Funny mode

Apparently, we're in the midst of a great pepperoni conspiracy. But don't worry, our LA connections will hook us up.

They can even fix the grammar🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 14

9 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

Coincidentally, the 16th is a Friday. Expect the announcement after the markets close😉

• Like 7