Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

15 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

We are on Adventure for the 1st time this New Year 2024/2025 cruise.  Had it booked before and were in the airport on Friday the 13th to board her on the 14th.  While we were in the airport, they made this announcement about something you may have heard about before (COVID-19), and shut all ships down the day we were supposed to board.  Let's hope this time is much less "Adventure"ous

Thought I may see you on one, but from your list a few posts back, it looks like you avoid high pricing times when there are tons of kids on board.  As a teacher, that is the only time I can travel.

Excited to experience the Radiance class for the 1st time on the Serenade.  Had the Brilliance booked but they bumped us to Odyssey.  14 ports in 15 days for us on our segment, so likely the same as yours in terms of being busy.

Our last cruise “BC”was in February on Brilliance.  We’ve always had a special love for that ship, and still do, maybe because the great memories we’ve had on past cruises. 

12 hours ago, island lady said:

OMG...I was able to cook for the first time in over two months.  Drats...should have taken pictures...my seared brown sugar salmon (Tuvia BS of course) was to die for!  Steamed Broccoli that was actually cooked, and wild rice.  Wow....good to be home...but missing our friends and crew members.  🙂  

I prefer my cooking over any ship we’ve been on so far. And an example was last night’s dinner of fresh salmon, cooked fresh spinach and quinoa.  No fancy sauces to cover up the natural flavors…yum!   I know you’ll be enjoying cooking until your next travels.

Edited by lovesthebeach2
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I was on Allure after the reopening at about 50% capacity. What an amazing sailing. I, like you, will never forget that experience. 

We were on Allure in early August 2021, it was amazing, and even better that we did a Royal Up to a GS for pennies. The ship was eerily quiet though.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CSHS1979 said:

We were 2 of 600 on Allure for her post covid tryout.

What was odd is we were also on her last voyage pre covid. It was like we never left

Screenshot_20240212_171353_Instagram.jpg.d35e7fdef7176dfb062dfe84ec0c514b.jpg

We were on Allure the week after yours, and it was still quite empty (maybe 900 pax). The vibe on the ship was very downbeat - the ship felt dead.

52 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

We were on Allure in early August 2021, it was amazing, and even better that we did a Royal Up to a GS for pennies. The ship was eerily quiet though.

Our first was Jan 2022 so we probably had more people than you did. It seemed like the perfect number. Plenty of life around the ship but no lines or waiting for anything, as well as a deck chair anywhere you wanted at any time of the day. And all of that for an amazing price!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, CSHS1979 said:

We were 2 of 600 on Allure for her post covid tryout.

What was odd is we were also on her last voyage pre covid. It was like we never left

Screenshot_20240212_171353_Instagram.jpg.d35e7fdef7176dfb062dfe84ec0c514b.jpg

We were on the Liberty “test” cruise out of Galveston.  While on the shuttle from IAH to Galveston, we found out that many of our fellow cruisers with us were RCL employees.  Maybe 400 or so on cruise.  Recall having a limit on the number who could be in the pool at the same time. Lounges were closed.  They had a happy hour “event” in the VCL but they scheduled half of D and up one day and the other half the next day.  Also, no complimentary drinks.  They gave a reason but can’t recall what it was at this time.   Also did the restart Ovation cruise to Alaska.  Maybe 800 onboard.

1 hour ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

On ours they upgraded us from a JS to a CLS for $100 each. Our last cruise before the shutdown was in an upgrade from a balcony to a CLS on Harmony the week before everything went south. Nice way to bookend the pandemic. Now DW won’t sail in anything less than a GS😇

• Like 3

17 hours ago, orville99 said:

Drat. We end our B3B on the day you board

Drats is right.  😞   Oh well, will run into you again sometime in the future.  Have a fantabulous (set) of cruises!  

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

On ours they upgraded us from a JS to a CLS for $100 each. Our last cruise before the shutdown was in an upgrade from a balcony to a CLS on Harmony the week before everything went south. Nice way to bookend the pandemic. Now DW won’t sail in anything less than a GS😇

That’s funny….i remember our first balcony, after that we always cruised balconies…..now we’ve done a few GS and I just said that to my DH, I want GS all the times😁…. That won’t happen….but royals upscale line is just as good and that is going to happen 😉

• Like 3

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

If one looks at it realistically I’m surprised that this hasn’t happened at this point of the World Cruise adventure. For those who have left the ship by ambulance we all hope there was a positive outcome.  Unfortunately, that might not have been the actual outcome. 

I know the ship isn’t at full capacity but the demographics are older than a normal sailing. We all know passing away on the ship can happen on 7 day sailing at any age, and they have been at sea for much longer than that. No one knows when it’s their time to leave this world, but these cruisers are doing what they love VS being at home. 

We heard an "Alpha" call on the last night of the cruise.  Ironically I recognized the cabin number it was directed to.  It's the cabin we are scheduled to be in when we reboard for last quarter in Barcelona.  

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

We heard an "Alpha" call on the last night of the cruise.  Ironically I recognized the cabin number it was directed to.  It's the cabin we are scheduled to be in when we reboard for last quarter in Barcelona.  

Oh boy…..I would want to change cabins.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

That’s funny….i remember our first balcony, after that we always cruised balconies…..now we’ve done a few GS and I just said that to my DH, I want GS all the times😁…. That won’t happen….but royals upscale line is just as good and that is going to happen 😉

We were able to book at 4 am on Odyssey at Next Cruise desk (yes she called my cabin and I met her down there!)...which was the hour the quarter cruise segments were finally released.  All cabins from JS  and up were already booked by full world cruisers.  Though the ship never ended being filled up when we boarded in Miami.  

Royal up from our balcony to the GS was the only way we could get that cabin.  I agree...GS cabins are our usual "go to" cabin.  Was happy to have it after all for those 9 weeks, felt like home, plenty of room for storage.  

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, island lady said:

Drats is right.  😞   Oh well, will run into you again sometime in the future.  Have a fantabulous (set) of cruises!  

I would add a fourth leg, but my wife would kill me - three weeks seems to be her limit on RCL ships.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I won’t live in a used house…every one of our homes have been brand new. 

The only used house we ever lived in had a codicil in the deed that specifically prohibited it from being used as a “sporting” house. 😱 after that we have only bought new builds😇

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Will you stay in a hotel?  You never know what went on in a hotel room in the past.  While 3/5 homes we've owned have been brand new, two have been "used" by one previous owner.  Even though I know there was no previous death in either one, it really doesn't matter.  Heck, the land your "new" home is built on could have a history you wouldn't like.

• Like 12

25 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

You best not ever watch the Movie "Potergiest".

You pretty much have no idea what your "New" Houses were built near or on top of do you?

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

You best not ever watch the Movie "Potergiest".

You pretty much have no idea what your "New" Houses were built near or on top of do you?

Actually our first home we bought when I was in my early 20s and our next door neighbors kept saying they would see a young greasy haired Indigenous boy in their home. They thought they were imagining it until guests saw him too…. Later we found out there were people buried in a nearby area that was wooded and never had a house built. I told him that he’s not allowed in our house 😁 he never tried

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

The only used house we ever lived in had a codicil in the deed that specifically prohibited it from being used as a “sporting” house. 😱 after that we have only bought new builds😇

I've flipped houses before it was called flipping, all used. Idk how I would find out where previous owners died. For sure the husband died here and then the mom. Could have been in the hospital or at home. Pretty much all my homes I know someone died before current seller sold to me. Some have been historic areas, very old like swiss Avenue down in old east dallas. 

2 hours ago, island lady said:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2024/02/13/passenger-dies-royal-caribbeans-9-month-world-cruise

Edited by Vibe
Remove emoji
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Well, if anyone finds out if the cabin that had the Alpha call on our last night going into LA is the one that the poor lady died in...let me know.   That Alpha call was for 8592...which is the cabin we are scheduled to be in when we return in Barcelona.  

Adita (one of our friends we spent time with) is a Tic Tock writer.  She knows which cabin.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, island lady said:

No way to know if that is the one the lady died in...but yeah...now I want to change cabins even more so. 

I get it.  

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

One of the bloggers is suggesting mutiny. We want to know how the cruiser died on the world cruise. He says .. not me. It's making bloggers headlines anyway. They need those clicks. 

Certainly wants the clicks. The easy answer is the guest stopped breathing.  To even broach the suggestion of mutiny, unless stating that they are in fact joking, says a lot about their personality.

Talk of mutiny saved up for missed ports of call.  This should have been the headlines around the Falkland Islands. (Joke font on)

• Like 5