Book one more room and lost Haven perks?

AntiGameZ

Hi All, I tried to search almost whole day and made couple of calls to NCL. But haven't made my decision yet.

I have booked a 2 bedroom Haven suite for 6 adults (couples, parents, and in-laws) on Vive mid Jan next year. Now, my mother prefers to have a room for my father to sleep separately due his no joke snoring problem. 

After the studies and phone calls I realized it is not that easy:

1. book a new room and move him to that room will lose his Haven perks. Not good for a family trip.

2. no available haven room I can book for the same itinerary.

3. there is no option for us to "pay for haven perk" for the one stay in a non-Haven room

Goal is to have everyone has Haven perks and be aboard have meals together, embark and disembark together. I don't have a PCC and just called in three times and got the same answers. Do I need to keep calling and expect to have someone could help?

Open to any suggestions. Thanks.

Not sure what you are expecting. If you are wanting something that does not exist, they aren’t going to be able to make it happen. Getting Haven perks for those not staying in the Haven is not going to happen. There never has been, thankfully, a pay for Haven perks option. You either all have to suck it up with the snoring or not have the Haven trip for everyone like you expected. Your family is going to be the lone exception to allow non Haven cruisers in the Haven. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ronheg said:

Can you keep all 6 persons on the 2 bedroom haven category and also book an inside cabiin for your dad (he’d have 2 rooms)?

2 potential issues with this: 1) NCL won’t let you book multiple rooms under one name as far as I’m aware, and 2) dad would be charged double occupancy for that inside cabin. So the snoring issue just cost an additional couple thousand bucks on top of booking 6 in a Haven room. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ronheg said:

Can you keep all 6 persons on the 2 bedroom haven category and also book an inside cabiin for your dad (he’d have 2 rooms)?

Yea, that's the double booking to put one name on two rooms. Called NCL and confirmed it is not doable. 

3 minutes ago, TheDawg79 said:

2 potential issues with this: 1) NCL won’t let you book multiple rooms under one name as far as I’m aware, and 2) dad would be charged double occupancy for that inside cabin. So the snoring issue just cost an additional couple thousand bucks on top of booking 6 in a Haven room. 

Yes, you are correct. paying extra money is an option if there is haven availability. last option is I can move myself out of the Haven group but parents probably feel a little bit guilty. anyhow, such a last minute change seems not doable 😞 

• Like 1

actually, if the ship has both a "haven" and a suite category, the cabins are almost identical, and the perks are more or less the same, except access to  te have pool, bar, and restaurant.

by the way, even if the cabin claims to sleep 6, with 6 adults and only 2 bathrooms, it will get a little crowded. 

59 minutes ago, AntiGameZ said:

Yes, you are correct. paying extra money is an option if there is haven availability. last option is I can move myself out of the Haven group but parents probably feel a little bit guilty. anyhow, such a last minute change seems not doable 😞 

To keep peace this is the right choice!

You can not buy Haven perks.  Haven sold out means no more Haven Suites available, and that’s the only way to get Haven benefits.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

To keep peace this is the right choice!

You can not buy Haven perks.  Haven sold out means no more Haven Suites available, and that’s the only way to get Haven benefits.

Respectfully disagree, (assuming that I'm interpreting you correctly, that the OP giving up Haven is the only way to keep the peace... if not, disregard last transmission, lol).

Mom needs to deal with dad's snoring... they've been married for how long? It's not the OP's problem, so IMHO mom & dad need to work it out... there are various noise canceling/diminishing headphones, designed for sleep-ware that she can use.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Daruma said:

Respectfully disagree, (assuming that I'm interpreting you correctly, that the OP giving up Haven is the only way to keep the peace... if not, disregard last transmission, lol).

Mom needs to deal with dad's snoring... they've been married for how long? It's not the OP's problem, so IMHO mom & dad need to work it out... there are various noise canceling/diminishing headphones, designed for sleep-ware that she can use.

To go further... if my son ever gave up something like this for my benefit, I'd kill him... which I guess would ultimately solve the issue, lol. 🤣😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, complawyer said:

by the way, even if the cabin claims to sleep 6, with 6 adults and only 2 bathrooms, it will get a little crowded. 

A lot crowded.  I wouldn’t do this.  I would rather be outside the Haven.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Daruma said:

To go further... if my son ever gave up something like this for my benefit, I'd kill him... which I guess would ultimately solve the issue, lol. 🤣😂

My Father (who passed away 20 years ago this past Oct) and able to give him a Haven Cabin, regardless of the reason?  I'd not hesitate.   Absolutely would do it without hesitation.  I'm not painting myself as a selfless individual.  I'm not...not even close.  For my Father or my Mother?  Absofreakinlutely!!!!!

To me, that's the ONLY answer.

Edited by graphicguy

6 hours ago, Daruma said:

haha, they are in their late 60s and sleep separately at home. Mom found out it will be an issue until yesterday because now they are at a hotel and stay at one room. 

6 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Is CPAP an option?

He doesn't have one, probably it is already too late to see doctor and get a CPAP. 

Most likely I will book a room under my name and remove me out of the Haven group. 

4 hours ago, AntiGameZ said:

haha, they are in their late 60s and sleep separately at home. Mom found out it will be an issue until yesterday because now they are at a hotel and stay at one room. 

He doesn't have one, probably it is already too late to see doctor and get a CPAP. 

Most likely I will book a room under my name and remove me out of the Haven group. 

I wouldn't do it. We once cruised so that my father and mother were in a club balcony and we (me, my husband, DD, DS) were in a Haven suite. They simply did not want a Haven suite and we all thought it was not a big deal as we'd anyway be quite often at the main pool area, having dinner together at a specialty restaurant 4 days out of 10, we'd be at port so we wouldn't even notice we are on a different cabin category. Boy were we wrong... Going to the port at embarkation my family was whisked away to the Haven lounge. My parents (although platinum) were faced with a huge crowd and lines. When we were inside the ship we called with my parents who indicated they'd have still approx 30-60 min until they would be inside. So we headed to Haven restaurant. When they got in they went to where ever. Breakfasts onboard: either we ate separately (not nice) or we ventured out from the Haven for breakfast (not nice that either). At tender ports we had priority access for the tender. They did not so either we gave up our tender priority and stood in long lines with them or we went our separate ways. Non specialty dinners...see breakfasts...If we went to the Haven restaurant without them we felt bad. If we went to main dining room with them we missed the Haven restaurant and felt that we had paid a ton of money for something we didn't use. Debarkation, sun deck etc...well you get the point already. 

We learned that there simply is no good way to go about a cruise with some family members at Haven and others in a non Haven cabin. Either the ones at Haven cannot use the Haven perks to the max and they will need to downgrade their experience to spend time with their non Haven family members. Or then they must be ok with going their separate ways and doing many things separately. For us it definitely did not work. For others it might. But at least downgrading the Haven experience to spend time with the non Haven guests seems like a huge waste of money to me. Why pay for Haven if you're not going to use it to the max.

Edited by European_CruiseGirl
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, AntiGameZ said:

Hi All, I tried to search almost whole day and made couple of calls to NCL. But haven't made my decision yet.

I have booked a 2 bedroom Haven suite for 6 adults (couples, parents, and in-laws) on Vive mid Jan next year. Now, my mother prefers to have a room for my father to sleep separately due his no joke snoring problem. 

After the studies and phone calls I realized it is not that easy:

1. book a new room and move him to that room will lose his Haven perks. Not good for a family trip.

2. no available haven room I can book for the same itinerary.

3. there is no option for us to "pay for haven perk" for the one stay in a non-Haven room

Goal is to have everyone has Haven perks and be aboard have meals together, embark and disembark together. I don't have a PCC and just called in three times and got the same answers. Do I need to keep calling and expect to have someone could help?

Open to any suggestions. Thanks.

why not try some OTC snoring strips?  Double up on his pillows so his head is not flat.  You can tell your butler to bring your dad extra pillows to rain his head ( or you Mom could use them to cover her ears....just dont have her cover his face)

Do not be hasty on this decision. You really need to think this through. Having 1 person in your party that is not in the haven is probably going to cause a little chaos and might not be worth the snoring problem. Is there anyone that can deal with the snoring that is going on the trip? 

9 hours ago, AntiGameZ said:

So here is one option no one mentioned.  Do you have a 7th person who wants a free cruise and is willing to sleep in a room with your father?  Like another uncle or sibling.... ect.  You could book that person in a room and your dad could use the extra bed.  But still keep his Haven Key.

And snoring is definitely something your dad should get looked at .  If he gets a CPAP it'll add years to his life.  Get one on Craigslist if you don't have time to see a doctor and see the doctor after your trip. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, complawyer said:

actually, if the ship has both a "haven" and a suite category, the cabins are almost identical, and the perks are more or less the same, except access to  te have pool, bar, and restaurant.

I think the biggest issue would be that he would not be able to join then in the Haven only areas. 

1 minute ago, FLAHAM said:

I’d rather eat every meal in the buffet than be the sixth adult in a 2 bedroom suite.  The latter are meant for 2 parents and 2 kids.

This is true.  We have done it with our family of 4 kids.  And it was tight.  With 6 adults it would be really uncomfortable especially because the 2nd bedroom is more like a "closet".  Great for kids, adults not so much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, wilmingtech said:

With 6 adults it would be really uncomfortable especially because the 2nd bedroom is more like a "closet".  Great for kids, adults not so much.

I agree that 6 adults is borderline horrible but for the Haven, the 2nd bedroom on Prima/Viva is better than the 2nd bedroom on the BA/BA Plus ships.