Malaria Vaccine for Caribbean

BEEZLEE

Upcoming Feb/24 Vista cruise to Caribbean…recently received email from Oceania recommending the vaccine, however, have been to Caribbean / Mexico a few times in the past and no such recommendation…have been putting so many jabs in our body over past couple years, we’re on the fence on this one, but perhaps better safe than sorry. Thoughts ?

“Please note, however, the countries the vessel calls to or the port agent(s) at the pier may require proof of vaccination(s) before allowing a guest to go ashore. i.e. Mexico, Honduras (Island of Roatan)”

This is a blanket cover their behind email.   You really need to consult the CDC and your doctor for actual advice.  I am going to Brazil this winter and have the yellow fever, and typhoid fever vaccine.  It is my understanding there is no recommended Malaria vaccine for adults, but don't believe anything you read on CC regarding vaccines(me included).  This link may prove informative:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2024/preparing/yellow-fever-vaccine-malaria-prevention-by-country

Edited by davencl

5 minutes ago, BEEZLEE said:

Upcoming Feb/24 Vista cruise to Caribbean…recently received email from Oceania recommending the vaccine, however, have been to Caribbean / Mexico a few times in the past and no such recommendation…have been putting so many jabs in our body over past couple years, we’re on the fence on this one, but perhaps better safe than sorry. Thoughts ?

“Please note, however, the countries the vessel calls to or the port agent(s) at the pier may require proof of vaccination(s) before allowing a guest to go ashore. i.e. Mexico, Honduras (Island of Roatan)”

My understanding is that the malaria vaccine is relatively new, which may be why it was never mentioned for previous travels.

It's not as effective as some other vaccines, but perhaps it's better than nothing!

And IF it's required by some authority, then it's your choice to get it and go, or not...

GC

REQUIRED  & RECOMMENDED  are 2 different things

Check the  Country you are visiting 

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories

Speak to your on doctor on what is right  for you

Unless  things have changed   in the past year or so   there were no vaccines REQUIRED  for the Caribbean  other than covid  of course

3 hours ago, BEEZLEE said:

Malarone prophylaxis script should be good enough if you have concerns. Don’t know about a Malaria vaccine or it’s effectiveness.

And, if you’re a geezer like me, I’d pass on the Yellow Fever vaccine. 
We use the San Francisco Dept of Public Health Travel Clinic which is up-to-date on all requirements. They do not recommend YF vaccine for geezers. So, when they issued my WHO “yellow card,” they stamped “exempt” next to YF vaccine.

we’ve traveled to many countries with vaccine YF and Malaria requirements/recommendations. We’ve never had an issue re: shots. (Of course, however, we’ve got all Covid shots/boosters).

• Thanks 1

There is absolutely no proof of vaccine needed. I've gone to several countries with malaria and was always advised to take prophylaxis. I think that right now the vaccine is only recommended for children living in countries with high spread of malaria. I don't know if you could even get it in the US,

WHO recommends R21/Matrix-M vaccine for malaria prevention in updated advice on immunization

I personally wouldn't take malaria meds for Mexico or Roatan, but that may be worth discussing with your doctor. 

Edited by sanger727

2 hours ago, sanger727 said:

There is absolutely no proof of vaccine needed. I've gone to several countries with malaria and was always advised to take prophylaxis. I think that right now the vaccine is only recommended for children living in countries with high spread of malaria. I don't know if you could even get it in the US,

WHO recommends R21/Matrix-M vaccine for malaria prevention in updated advice on immunization

I personally wouldn't take malaria meds for Mexico or Roatan, but that may be worth discussing with your doctor. 

What would you do about Brazil? Rio and south, no Amazon. 

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

The San Francisco Dept. of Public Health - Travel Clinic recommends Malarone for Malaria Prophylaxis. 

and Malarone has lots of side effects - so they need to consult their physician some may be severe including sunburn and mental effects.

There is nothing that that OP needs to be concerned in the Caribbean. 

17 hours ago, ORV said:

What would you do about Brazil? Rio and south, no Amazon. 

We’re still on the fence, too, for the YF vaccine. Our doc isn’t familiar, and Mercy no longer has a travel medicine clinic. I’m planning on contacting the Health Dept. 

Jane

• Like 1

Just now, SophieM said:

We’re still on the fence, too, for the YF vaccine. Our doc isn’t familiar, and Mercy no longer has a travel medicine clinic. I’m planning on contacting the Health Dept. 

Jane

My wife has been in contact with them. I think I’m just going to see if my dr will give me an exempt letter. 

Spent 2 weeks in Paraguay in April-May 2022. Travelled over 2000+ KM, including from Encarnacion in the SE to the marshes/swamps of Neembucu in the SW (to the Paraguayan War battlefields) to deep into the Chaco Desert (to Filadelfia & the Chaco War battlefields). No malaria vaccine or prophylaxis was required or recommended. No problem. (Flew to Asuncion via Sao Paulo.)

44 minutes ago, ORV said:

My wife has been in contact with them. I think I’m just going to see if my dr will give me an exempt letter. 

I’m. It sure we would even need an exempt letter, as it is o ly recommended, not required. Better safe than sorry, though?

Just now, SophieM said:

I’m. It sure we would even need an exempt letter, as it is o ly recommended, not required. Better safe than sorry, though?

I’m not sure. Damn autocorrect. Got me twice in this post. 

1 hour ago, SophieM said:

Jane

I found that yellow fever was very difficult and expensive to get locally. None of the pharmacies in my area had it or would order it. The only option we found was to go to a very expensive private travel clinic - no insurance accepted of course. Passport Health | Immunizations | Travel Clinics (passporthealthusa.com)

I ended up not doing the yellow fever. It wasn't required for my destination and the vaccine was going to cost around $400. 

On 12/4/2023 at 12:28 PM, BEEZLEE said:

I am very curious about this.  We are taking a cruise in April that has the same stops but on another cruise line, and I have heard nothing about this.  I just googled and it sounded like a malaria vaccine is not even available in the US.

In the past - I have taken anti malaria meds.  Did not personally like the side effects.  I also took doxycyline when in South Africa and surrounding countries - and I would likely go that route again.  Talk to your doctor about all of the options.  The downside I know about for doxycyline is exposure to the sunburn.

If anyone has info about the malaria vaccine being available in the US - please post. 

17 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

and Malarone has lots of side effects - so they need to consult their physician some may be severe including sunburn and mental effects.

There is nothing that that OP needs to be concerned in the Caribbean. 

Might you be referring to doxycyline, which is known to have these side effects?  Malarone's  common side effects are different.  I do agree that consulting a professional is important.

https://healthclinics.superdrug.com/malarone-side-effects/#:~:text=Common side effects are side,find that their appetite decreases.

Edited by 1985rz1

56 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Might you be referring to doxycyline, which is known to have these side effects?  Malarone's  common side effects are different.  I do agree that consulting a professional is important.

https://healthclinics.superdrug.com/malarone-side-effects/#:~:text=Common side effects are side,find that their appetite decreases.

Your quote list these -- and they are from personal experience for both me and DW (nightmares and vivid dreams) and we do use Doxi if we have a malaria issue

Common side effects are side effects which affect up to one in ten people who use a certain medication. Common side effects of Malarone are dizziness, depression and sleeping problems. People who take Malarone to experience unusual dreams, fever, an itchy rash, a cough, or to find that their appetite decreases.

Other Side effects These include:

• severe allergic reaction
  • hepatitis (inflammation of the liver)
  • blockage of the bile ducts
  • inflammation of the blood vessels
  • increased heart rate
  • panic attacks and crying
  • seizures
  • nightmares
  • mental health issues such as psychosis
  • mouth ulcers
  • peeling skin and blisters
  • increased sensitivity to sunlight
  • unusual blood test results.
  • reduction in blood cells leading to anaemia or low white blood cells

26 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

Your quote list these -- and they are from personal experience for both me and DW (nightmares and vivid dreams) and we do use Doxi if we have a malaria issue

Common side effects are side effects which affect up to one in ten people who use a certain medication. Common side effects of Malarone are dizziness, depression and sleeping problems. People who take Malarone to experience unusual dreams, fever, an itchy rash, a cough, or to find that their appetite decreases.

Other Side effects These include:

• severe allergic reaction
  • hepatitis (inflammation of the liver)
  • blockage of the bile ducts
  • inflammation of the blood vessels
  • increased heart rate
  • panic attacks and crying
  • seizures
  • nightmares
  • mental health issues such as psychosis
  • mouth ulcers
  • peeling skin and blisters
  • increased sensitivity to sunlight
  • unusual blood test results.
  • reduction in blood cells leading to anaemia or low white blood cells

Interesting.  We have used malerone several times with no side effects.  Our travel physician recommend we avoid doxi because of the side effects.  Yes, the ones you highlight are side effects, but except for the dreams and depression (which we didn't experience) they are not in the common category.  In any event folks do need to be aware of the possibilities and should discuss the option with a provider, as you suggested.

• Like 1

My thoughts as we have a trip from Rio to Santiago in January.  We got the YF and Thyphoid vaccines.  Did not chose to carry Malaria pills as we won't be going up the amazon.  Probably didn't need Typhoid either but chose to get it.  I treated our decision like an insurance policy.  Unlikely to get either one in Brazil but result of getting YF, Thyhoid fever or Malaria is severe.  Just as important(or more important) is prevention of mosquito bites.  Will be treating clothing and applying repelant while in the area.  Note none of these are required for entry into Brazil.  In my opinion totally unneccesary for Caribbean.

We got our vaccinations from a local travel clinic.  My advice do not use passport health.  They are, to put it mildly, a ripoff.  Twice the price as the local clinic here in Portland.  Would have cost $600 at Passport.  Cost $300 at local clinic.  Our medicare advantage plan paid 100% of the drug cost.

Regarding Malaria it's my understanding there is no recommended or approved vaccine for adults yet.

These were our choices.  Others will have a different view.

Edited by davencl