Should we cancel private tour in Dunedin (port times have changed)?

We're in Dunedin on 12th January. When we originally booked the cruise, we were scheduled to be in port from 8am to 6pm but now it's 7am to 5pm. I had booked us on a private tour  (with Fantail Tours) from 10am to 4pm but now I'm worried we are cutting it too fine to be back in time and on board on time. I have emailed the company who say we will be back at the port by 4pm and "there is no need to cancel" but I'm anxious about the timing now. I still have a couple of weeks to cancel without loosing money - any thoughts? Should we cancel? The tour operator website doesn't have anything on it about guaranteeing getting back to the ship on time.

Many thanks

Lou

28 minutes ago, ~*Lou*~ said:

We're in Dunedin on 12th January. When we originally booked the cruise, we were scheduled to be in port from 8am to 6pm but now it's 7am to 5pm. I had booked us on a private tour  (with Fantail Tours) from 10am to 4pm but now I'm worried we are cutting it too fine to be back in time and on board on time. I have emailed the company who say we will be back at the port by 4pm and "there is no need to cancel" but I'm anxious about the timing now. I still have a couple of weeks to cancel without loosing money - any thoughts? Should we cancel? The tour operator website doesn't have anything on it about guaranteeing getting back to the ship on time.

Many thanks

Lou

I would definitely cancel. The last thing you want on holidays is stress.  I doubt you would have booked the tour, if your time in port was originally 7am to 5 pm. 

• Like 1

I also would not worry. These private tour companies stake their reputation on getting you back to the ship on time. Don't  be taken in by the cruise ship line that only official ship excursions are reliable, so we will charge you double for your peace of mind.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ~*Lou*~ said:

I have emailed the company who say we will be back at the port by 4pm and "there is no need to cancel"

To paraphrase the words of Mandy Rice Davies; they would say that wouldn't they?

We have used this company before and they were excellent. They are VERY aware of the needs to be back by the ship on time. As long as the CUSTOMERS are back by the bus/car at every stop at agreed times (and not get lost shopping etc), everything will be OK

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

My only concern is how many others are on the non ship tour, that it cannot be made one hour earlier. If it is a private tour , then surely they can accommodate the private group.

I agree. Especially if it is PRIVATE private tour and not a shared private tour (like a mini bus small group tour).  OP may want to check with the tour company...

If your tour company is picking you up from the Port Chalmers cruise terminal, you will most likely be OK. All tour companies are very aware that they have to get their customers back on time. If they don't they will lose business in the future. I haven't heard of any passengers who have missed the ship in our part of the world because a tour got back late.

If the tour starts and (more importantly) ends in Dunedin, I don't feel you can be sure you will be back in time.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

We missed Dunedin yesterday on the Noordam due to high winds, tried 4 times but with such a narrow entrance through to Port Chalmers it was not to be.

That a shame. Its a nice cruise into Dunedin. My old stomping ground when I was a teenager. Nice quiet town. Horrible winters.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, icat2000 said:

That a shame. Its a nice cruise into Dunedin. My old stomping ground when I was a teenager. Nice quiet town. Horrible winters.

It was a shame, especially for all the people who have never visited before. We love Dunedin and have been numerous times but missing the port is still a disappointment.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

It was a shame, especially for all the people who have never visited before. We love Dunedin and have been numerous times but missing the port is still a disappointment.

Noordam was a good ship, did Syd to Honolulu on her in 2019. Mic, hope you and Rosie are enjoying HAL.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

We missed Dunedin yesterday on the Noordam due to high winds, tried 4 times but with such a narrow entrance through to Port Chalmers it was not to be.

So sorry you missed Dunedin, as we did earlier this year on Queen Elizabeth.  It was really disappointing, because it’s one of the few NZ places we haven’t visited.  I’m glad you’ve at least visited Dunedin before.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

The train station was a stand out for me, especially the stain glass windows in the main foyer.

image.thumb.jpeg.17e0aef2c35197e31695f33985ddda88.jpeg

• Like 4

On 12/6/2023 at 8:32 AM, ~*Lou*~ said:

Many thanks

Lou

Do the tour they will get you back otherwise thy will not have a business..

16 hours ago, icat2000 said:

Make sure you check out the cancellatin policy. Ive just read the one for Fantail Tours and you get nothing back if the ship can't dock. 

as i have just booked a fantail tour for the end of december, this is of interest to me... i found this in the fantail cancellation policy which implies you get 80% back if the ship can't dock. 

• A booking fee of 20% will be charged to cover some of our costs, should your ship be unable to dock due to bad weather