SS Air Bombshell--Absolute Must Read

chrism23

Fellow Travelers.   

I do not know if this topic has been previously addressed  I looked through the topic heading and didn't see one that would be relevant. So here goes.  Yesterday I got an email from my cruise consultant that said he-meaning all cruise consultants, will no longer be handling air reservations.  They have established a direct line into what must be an expanded air department, and you book your air directly through them.  Payment matters are still to be handled by your cruise consultant.  

This to me is a MAJOR change in how SS does business.  I have been sailing SS for 12 years, 10 cruises,  and have had 2 great cruise consultants who I have always relied on to book my flights-and to frequently run interference for me with the air department.  (This lead me to start a topic about 2 years ago entitled "Silversea Air screws up Again"  which had 100's of comments and views).  Having my cruise consultant book air was an essential part of what I regard as Silverssea's stellar services.  Call it one stop shopping.  Now I find out I have to deal with another individual in another department, explaining what I want  all over again and plod through what is available and what is not.  As a reminder what prompted my previous blow up with SS Air was when they booked me flying from Dublin to Boston via Rotterdam.  Anyhow.  

On the positive side yesterday I used their new department, got an agent who had the patience of a saint, and we worked out the air from NYC to Athens and Venice to NYC for a Greece trip I have scheduled for August.  I always look in advance at flights that are available on the days and times I want to have that all ready when talking to SS,  She got me exactly what I wanted, non-stop, business class, on the days I wanted.   So to ever that woman was, a profound thank you.  But the system seems newish, she had to talk to her manager a few times, and seemed slightly unsure of herself.

So I don't know whether this topic has been covered or whether it is new news.  Nor do I know, and can't gauge whether it's going to be for the good or bad.  I do know yesterday.was the first time for me using the new system and somehow I made it work. I apologize if this has been covered and I have wasted your time..

• Thanks 1

I reported this from the Muse a month ago after the Barbara Muckerman Q&A that we had onboard. The SS Air was in the process of being taken over by the RCL air department. So all air arrangements are now through RCL  and not SS. More agents that book more airfares and so hopefully better prices and choices.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, chrism23 said:

Fellow Travelers.   

I do not know if this topic has been previously addressed  I looked through the topic heading and didn't see one that would be relevant. So here goes.  Yesterday I got an email from my cruise consultant that said he-meaning all cruise consultants, will no longer be handling air reservations.  They have established a direct line into what must be an expanded air department, and you book your air directly through them.  Payment matters are still to be handled by your cruise consultant.  

We used a Silversea Consultant up until this past September, when we decided to switch to a TA who was recommended to us.  Just before we switched, our Consultant told us the air department was in the process of switching over to the RCL platform and he had just completed training to be able to use this new platform which he called the ACE system..  He indicated that once it was scheduled to go live (sometime in 2024) he would no longer have to go thru the air department to book flights for his guests but could do it himself.  It was still in the test phase, so there were still issues and anything outside the box such as upgrading to first class on the domestic portion of an international business class ticket was something he couldn't handle himself.  Now, three months later, the process has shifted again, taking Consultants out of booking flights entirely.  It will be interesting to see feedback from others who use this new process to hear if they have the same successful outcome by working with the air team directly.  

Edited by CruzinFeraBruzin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chrism

I am interested in the same route business class that you booked, previously they only offered BA  JFK to Venice which has a stop. Were you able to get the Delta JFK Venice flight and did they charge more for it ? 

6 hours ago, drron29 said:

More agents that book more airfares and so hopefully better prices and choices.

2 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

Which will be reflected in lower D2D cruise fares? Mmmm... 

Given the high load factors for airline travel today, why would you think that airline's would be offering bigger discounts to cruiselines?  In fact, given the strong demand, I would suspect that the contract offerings will be even more restrictive in terms of both discounts and inventory.

Econ 101 -- supply is relatively fixed and demand is strong and increasing.

• Like 3

Doesn’t seem like a bombshell.  Just made a change to an SS Air flight booked a few weeks ago and the Cruise Consultant handled it himself and it was instantaneous without any deviation fees or fare increase.  

For those concerned about dealing with two different departments in the future just use a TA so you can deal with one person.

Edited by Gourmet Gal
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

ACE system, bulltwistle.

Just got my flights for a cruise from Iceland to Lisbon.

Silversea has us flying from Miami to Seattle, a four hour layover and then Seattle to Iceland. 

How can this be an ACE?  ABSURD

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, spinnaker2 said:

ACE system, bulltwistle.

Silversea has us flying from Miami to Seattle, a four hour layover and then Seattle to Iceland. 

Well, at least you're heading north on the first leg. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

ACE system, bulltwistle.

That wins for the most nonsensical flight arrangements since Silversea routed us on AA from Miami to Dallas to Santiago instead of the nonstop Miami to Santiago AA flight. We complained, they switched it.

• Haha 2

All I know is when I booked my Cruise to Iceland door to door the airfare upgrade to Sega Class (Bus Class) On Iceland air was $2000 more than my booking the same flights fully refundable my self.  I got $1800 back from SS since I did my own flights.  If I stayed in Coach, fully refundable would have been $1300 much less than the $1800 credit we got.  Plus I would have gotten seats at booking rather than waiting months until SS ticketed it

I picked my flights, seats and also know I can cancel anytime as it is fully refundable and don't have to worry about refundable policies through SS.  My In laws are in their late 80's so we are always worried about something happening to them requiring us to stay home.

We are going in 3 days early to enjoy the capital and rented a car to do the Golden Circle ourselves

Edited by Dirk_Pitt
  • Like 3

I am waiting to hear if Silversea will do anything about this partial circumnavigation by air. 

I hope they don't try to charge us a deviation fee!!! Because these flight arrangements are the most deviated or “deviant” by far.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, taxatty said:

That wins for the most nonsensical flight arrangements since Silversea routed us on AA from Miami to Dallas to Santiago instead of the nonstop Miami to Santiago AA flight. We complained, they switched it.

We're flying LHR to DFW in May. Rather than put us on one of the direct flights to DFW (there are more than 1), they are routing us through ATL with a 4-1/2 hr layover. Won't budge. 

Clearly, flying is the worst part of cruising.   

Edited by Desperate to Sail
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, alithecat said:

We were booked Santiago to Toronto to San Francisco last January. Flying into snowstorms. No thanks. We took the air credit and went via Houston instead. 

Omg…these horror stories. 

8 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

2 hours ago, Desperate to Sail said:

We're flying LHR to DFW in May. Rather than put us on one of the direct flights to DFW (there are more than 1), they are routing us through ATL with a 4-1/2 hr layover. Won't budge. 

Clearly, flying is the worst part of cruising.   

1 hour ago, alithecat said:

We were booked Santiago to Toronto to San Francisco last January. Flying into snowstorms. No thanks. We took the air credit and went via Houston instead. 

Flying is the worst part of cruising.....if you accept cruiseline-provided air.

You get what they have in their contracts.  Nothing more.

• Like 2

I’ve often used Royal’s Air2Sea when sailing Royal.  Love-hate relationship when using them.  In the past maybe they had some clout with the airlines.  Post pandemic most airlines are scoundrels.  I think A2S is still trying to figure that out.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, twangster said:

I’ve often used Royal’s Air2Sea when sailing Royal.  Love-hate relationship when using them.  In the past maybe they had some clout with the airlines.  Post pandemic most airlines are scoundrels.  I think A2S is still trying to figure that out.  

Agree.

Which is why we book our own air. Quite often using points.

Edited by drron29
  • Like 2