Grandeur live 12/14 - 12/21

lorimay

@etual324...

I'll take credit for the second paragraph you quoted, but not the first.  Be careful when you attribute text to someone.  I have no idea where the first paragraph came from.

If the first paragraph was written by you, take care to add your thoughts outside and below the quote box.

On 12/15/2023 at 4:40 AM, flossie009 said:

…………. but many more have had excellent Regent cruises with perfect service

We have been on Explorer and Splendor in the last 14 months and have found service and food just how we have come to expect from Regent….very good to excellent. Will be on Grandeur in March 🤞🤞

• Like 1

On 12/15/2023 at 8:51 AM, Georgia_Peaches said:

We were expecting some as well...particularly because we looked at the pre-maiden voyage as a "practice cruise".  One of the big stand outs from OP's initial impression of Granduer is the boarding process.  Boarding lines just aren't a thing with Celebrity...we arrived early and were curb to ship in 15 minutes.  

It's good to read that others are not having some of the same issues as OP and I am glad to know that personnel on board are approachable and hopefully eager to rectify any problems.

Boarding process is the ports issue. Regent does not control that

• Like 2

On 12/31/2023 at 6:09 PM, bitob said:

I’m sure she claims it’s a service dog

emotional support?

could be to detect seizures

no way to prove

not regulated

Emotional support is a bunch of 💩. She wanted to bring her pet🤬

• Like 2

2 hours ago, purpleally said:

I use to think the same thing before I learned about this organization:

https://k9sforwarriors.org/

While I agree, many "emotional support animals" are just pets without any special training and a "certificate" printed off the internet, please do not make assumptions that all support animals fall under this category - dogs are being trained to assist in many ways that are not visible to others. The key word here is "trained".

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Yes, I understand that...right or wrong, it doesn't change the impression one gets when they go through the process.

I have also noticed when Regent officers are present, the entire process goes much smoother

17 hours ago, purpleally said:

Very possible. Unfortunately there is no way to prove it.  Too bad that those who fake it make it very difficult for those who really need it

Why the concern about the reason a dog is accompanying a passenger?  On 70+ cruises we have seen dogs on occasion...all very well behaved.  As long as their presence does not affect our enjoyment we're not concerned.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

Why the concern about the reason a dog is accompanying a passenger?  On 70+ cruises we have seen dogs on occasion...all very well behaved.  As long as their presence does not affect our enjoyment we're not concerned.)

I don't mind it either (in fact, I love seeing dogs, but some are very averse to them, either because of allergies, phobias, etc. The fact is, pets are not allowed, and almost everyone complies. I think it's the height of selfishness and entitlement to bring a dog that's not a legitimate support animal just because that's what you want. Those kinds of people need more way more help than carrying a dog offers.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

Why the concern about the reason a dog is accompanying a passenger?  On 70+ cruises we have seen dogs on occasion...all very well behaved.  As long as their presence does not affect our enjoyment we're not concerned.

Because some of us start sneezing, having eye watering, and runny noses.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, GMIAC said:

I don't mind it either (in fact, I love seeing dogs, but some are very averse to them, either because of allergies, phobias, etc. The fact is, pets are not allowed, and almost everyone complies. I think it's the height of selfishness and entitlement to bring a dog that's not a legitimate support animal just because that's what you want. Those kinds of people need more way more help than carrying a dog offers.

I agree with everything you said, especially the last part.

As I alluded to in my prior post, I am allergic to dogs. I am fine with tolerating this for people who have legitimate needs (not all of which are perhaps immediately obvious of course) but having to experience this because someone else is selfish and thinks the rules don’t apply to them and have gotten a fake letter and vest REALLY annoys me.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, the_dylaness said:

Because some of us start sneezing, having eye watering, and runny noses.

I had that issue on our last cruise at the wine luncheon, but it wasn’t a dog - it was a woman wearing lots of perfume!  Just stay away from the smelly object, the ship isn’t that small.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, the_dylaness said:

I agree with everything you said, especially the last part.

As I alluded to in my prior post, I am allergic to dogs. I am fine with tolerating this for people who have legitimate needs (not all of which are perhaps immediately obvious of course) but having to experience this because someone else is selfish and thinks the rules don’t apply to them and have gotten a fake letter and vest REALLY annoys me.

I was also surprised that a pet dog was brought on board, especially such a long trip.

But also on the last day, there were non-passengers on board during lunch and dinner.  Didn't know that was allowed.  How is that squared with CBP tracking?  Hmm.  All interesting.

Roxydog15:     

Hmmm. 

As to non-passengers on board.  Yes, such is, and has been "allowed" going back throughout our 25+years aboard various Radisson/Regent ships.  Depends on Port.  Folks are often family members of Crew who board for a bit of time with a brother, sister, father, mother--spouse. 

Bonding.  It has been a refreshing, and heart-warming experience when observing these interactions.  

BTW:  Have seen similar situations during travels going back to 1994 to the present when aboard Silversea, Seabourn, Holland America, Cunard, Crystal, and Princess.

Thus, not unique to Regent.  Rather, a travel industry practice totally driven by realities of our wonderful capitalist-driven economic system. 

Bottom line, literally, is COMPETION for a relatively small number of folks in certain economic situations in their respective countries now in high-high demand to "man" and woman posts on all cruise lines.  Or, to return to such service following the COVID situation.    

Supply and demand.  Simple Basic Economics 101.  

What a great way to bond a particular Crew member running the gamut from below-deck laundry attendant duties to a Staff Officer with two or three stripes on the uniform--

with close family.  Basically selfish economics.  Promote loyalty to Regent--or any other Line--to encourage signing up for often-six to eight month contracts. 

So-many key cogs in the cruise industry machinery were disrupted by COVID with attendant circumstances to abandon sailing on the seven seas from March, 2020 well-into 2021.  This is not hypothetical or from the grandstand.  Spouse and self were at San Diego on March 12, 2020 at Regent's assigned hotel anticipating boarding "Splendor" for a cruise through the Panama Canal to NYC.  This, in conjunction with our 50th wedding anniversary.  Nope.

Cruise cancelled that afternoon. Back to the airport the next day for return to Seattle. Two other Regent, and one Uniworld River cruise in France, likewise canceled. 

Key cogs in the industry continue the recovery process.  Result: paying customers expecting to continue delivery of 5+service in return for paying a premium price--

carp and complain when such service level has not been delivered on a particular cruise segment due to "new, inexperienced servers".  And, a host of other similar comments. Why the surprise?  

Same experience at sea experienced on land when disappointed at service levels at that particular favorite local restaurant. 

O.K.     

Much more-often have observed very-well attired retinue of Travel Agents invited at that particular Port to board the latest Regent ship.  Attended by Regent Staff.  Spend a special late morning and early afternoon being, literally, wined and dined at a restaurant venue. VIP tour of the ship.  Why?

Strictly revenue-driven.  What better way to enlist these "ambassadors" to sell the Regent brand to current, or prospective clients.   

Have often spoken, in passing, to these "guests". My preference has been to exchange pleasant conversations with Staff and their family members.  These are opportunities to express our appreciation for the high level of service received on that particular ship; and our understanding the toll on family life which must obtain due to long separations.  

Trust me on this one.  Been there, and my family has experienced same.  In much more difficult circumstances.  

Oh. BTW:  Hope to see some of you folks when we board Grandeur in less than a year!

GOARMY!

Edited by GOARMY
Addition

I don’t know if new Crystal still offers this, but on old Crystal we experienced getting to bring a friend on board in San Francisco when we were docked there for two or three days. She had dinner with us and it was really a lovely experience for everyone involved. I think the charge was around $90 which really was reasonable considering the circumstances, wine, cocktails, dinner, blah, blah blah. The reservations, for this had to be made quite some time in advance and I needed to provide information about her such as name, I think date of birth and maybe even passport information?

Edited by the_dylaness
Typo

On 10/20/2023 at 1:30 PM, applefan75 said:

Alexandria is huge loss for myself on this trip.

On 10/29/2023 at 8:27 AM, vistaman said:

I booked that cruise as well 

I play trivia and will wear a Belgian pin the first 2 days   

On 10/31/2023 at 9:47 PM, KenzSailing said:

Ah, I know you were most favorable with regard to your Silversea cruise(or cruises,)  Contrasting impressions will be interesting.

On 11/7/2023 at 1:47 PM, canderson said:

Conduct a raid on any Silver Suite or higher.  They all have Illy espresso machines!

2 hours ago, the_dylaness said:

I don’t know if new Crystal still offers this, but on old Crystal we experienced getting to bring a friend on board in San Francisco when we were docked there for two or three days. She had dinner with us and it was really a lovely experience for everyone involved. I think the charge was around $90 which really was reasonable considering the circumstances, wine, cocktails, dinner, blah, blah blah. The reservations, for this had to be made quite some time in advance and I needed to provide information about her such as name, I think date of birth and maybe even passport information?

You can definitely bring guests on board.  You must arrange ahead of time.  There is a form to fill out where you list the government identification that they will use (with relevant numbers  eg. dr lic number).  They have to bring that same id to the ship to board.  Your guests can arrive for breakfast, stay for lunch and spend the day.  They have to disembark by at least 2 hours before sailing. 

Thanks for the explanations.  The two sets I saw was a younger gentleman with a baby, and a couple who were daughter of passenger.  I didn't know crew could have their visitors too.  That is great.  They are away from home so long.

I didn't know that non-passengers could visit on board a ship.  Probably just never noticed before due to being on much larger ships and harder to recognize passengers, let alone who might be a day-guest.  Live an' learn.  🙂

• 3 months later...

Does the cushion box mean that in bad weather the crew do not have to pile all the  chair or lounger cushions inside the cabin ? We are sailing nov 2024. On oceania vista they brought cushions inside in high seas ( missed 2 ports) this march and it was a mess and sloppy. Thanks for any experiences to report !

6 minutes ago, Sirlancelot said:

Does the cushion box mean that in bad weather the crew do not have to pile all the  chair or lounger cushions inside the cabin ? We are sailing nov 2024. On oceania vista they brought cushions inside in high seas ( missed 2 ports) this march and it was a mess and sloppy. Thanks for any experiences to report !

On Splendor and Grandeur cruises, lounge cushions were placed inside between the slider and curtain every evening regardless of weather conditions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, -Lew- said:

On Splendor and Grandeur cruises, lounge cushions were placed inside between the slider and curtain every evening regardless of weather conditions.

They were asking about the cabins that have boxes for the cushions out on the balcony. 

I imagine those boxes are weighted at the bottom (or otherwise anchored to the deck and/or the wall), so they'd store the cushions out there.