Getting Diamond Status

tvo7

49 minutes ago, tvo7 said:

I like your opinion.  But what do you think of all the youtubers and posters on here who think diamond gives so many good benefits.  Did you see any wonderful benefits?  You did not like the lounge?

The drinks are a good benefit for me as I drink very little.  Saves me $40 a cruise. Nice but I would not call it wonderful. 

It seems to me if your for real that you are inflating the worth of Diamond status. 

Edited by Charles4515

1 hour ago, tvo7 said:

I like your opinion.  But what do you think of all the youtubers and posters on here who think diamond gives so many good benefits.  Did you see any wonderful benefits?  You did not like the lounge?

We like both. Benefits and a lounge.

We think Royal's benefits are the best, and they are achieved the earliest.

We would go crazy if we instead of cruising would work on achieving this status.

1 hour ago, tvo7 said:

We enjoyed the extra benefits when we hit D.  And again when we hit D+.  And again at 340.  Enjoying the perks is great, but be careful about chasing a specific perk, as it may disappear.  How will you feel if spend thousands of dollars for JS just for the points (not because you wanted the bigger cabin) or take cruises for the points (rather than for the pleasure of the cruise) chasing a certain perk, only to have that perk eliminated (or greatly reduced)?  You can hear plenty of stories here on CC from people who lost perks, including lounge access, in past rounds of loyalty benefits changes.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tvo7 said:

I have a list of bucket list items in travel.  Once I went on 2 cruises this year and walked by the lounges,  I started to think,  what would it take to to get in there.  Other than getting a suite, which is outrageously expensive, is to go on a lot of cruises.  So then, I put it on my bucket list of dreams.

I can understand your wish/goal... especially if it's within easy reach. The 4 drinks and the lounge are nice perks. I sailed solo on a 16 night Transatlantic before they started double points for Solos (2012 maybe?). So lacking 7 points to reach Diamond before sailing a 5 day last December out of New Orleans, I booked a 4 night solo for the 8 points and reached Diamond. That gave both my husband and I Diamond status and we enjoyed the peace and quiet of the Lounge and the 4 drinks around the ship. As it was a benefit to both of us, it was a win win. (And I did enjoy those Relaxing 4 days at sea solo!)

11 hours ago, tvo7 said:

The reason I want to do 4 nights is because I own my own business and I do not feel comfortable staying away for so long at a time.

I will be working on the ship all days I am on there and have 22 points right now.  

I was looking at beat cost efficiency of getting to diamond.  Of course, once I reach diamond, I am going to dream of getting to pinnacle and have bragging rights on the cruise when they announce all the pinnacles on board. I think of it as a bucket list challenge.

The main benefit I like of diamond is getting inside the diamond lounge and feel.special in there.

Just an FYI, the diamond lounge has been renamed the crown lounge on most, it not all ships now. Additionally, on most cruises (not all) diamonds are not allowed in the crown lounge. I would never question someone else’s goals, but you should at least know what the benefits are (and are not) associated with your goals. 

20 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Just an FYI, the diamond lounge has been renamed the crown lounge on most, it not all ships now. Additionally, on most cruises (not all) diamonds are not allowed in the crown lounge. I would never question someone else’s goals, but you should at least know what the benefits are (and are not) associated with your goals. 

Currently Diamonds are only being excluded on some cruises for a few hours during the evening cocktail hours.  Even on those cruises D’s have access the rest of the day (coffee machine, continental breakfast, concierge, relax). 

3 hours ago, tvo7 said:

Royal has the best benefits!  Becoming a diamond member was super special when I became one.  Enjoy your cruises.

This has opened my eyes.  If I go for diamond, spend all that time taking weekend cruises then to have a new announcement , "sorry buddy, crown lounge is only for pinnacle and suites only". I would be totally devastated.  

Do you think that can ever be a possibilty?

12 hours ago, tvo7 said:

The reason I want to do 4 nights is because I own my own business and I do not feel comfortable staying away for so long at a time.

I will be working on the ship all days I am on there and have 22 points right now.  

I was looking at beat cost efficiency of getting to diamond.  Of course, once I reach diamond, I am going to dream of getting to pinnacle and have bragging rights on the cruise when they announce all the pinnacles on board. I think of it as a bucket list challenge.

The main benefit I like of diamond is getting inside the diamond lounge and feel.special in there.

Getting to diamond this way ( Not cost efficient) is going to cost you thousands to get free snacks in that special room

12 minutes ago, tvo7 said:

This has opened my eyes.  If I go for diamond, spend all that time taking weekend cruises then to have a new announcement , "sorry buddy, crown lounge is only for pinnacle and suites only". I would be totally devastated.  

Suites have their own lounge.  Crown Lounge (formally Diamond Lounge) is currently for Diamond, Diamond Plus, and Pinnacle.  They can eliminate access to tier levels or eliminate the lounge and/or the drink vouchers (or other perks) at any time.

As mentioned in other posts, cruise because you want to cruise, not for the [potential] loyalty benefits.

And yes, it is not only possible, it has happened.  Diamond Plus had access to the Concierge Lounge (most are now full Suite Lounges), but they no longer do.  Pinnacles had access to the Suite Lounge, but that is now limited to only the top 30 on some (most?) cruises.

Edited by Another_Critic

12 hours ago, tvo7 said:

Of course, once I reach diamond, I am going to dream of getting to pinnacle and have bragging rights on the cruise when they announce all the pinnacles on board. I think of it as a bucket list challenge.

You wanting to flex your loyalty status as some sort of badge of honor deserving of an attaboy is the exact reason that I've never been in the lounge during HH and I'm D+.  If yours is the prevailing attitude, I'm good!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, tvo7 said:

In some form, yes. 

Recently benefits for all levels have been reduced.  I expect more changes as numbers keep exploding.  Consider the possibility that there may not even be a lounge. 

M

4 minutes ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

You wanting to flex your loyalty status as some sort of badge of honor deserving of an attaboy is the exact reason that I've never been in the lounge during HH and I'm D+.  If yours is the prevailing attitude, I'm good!

I've actually met Pinnacles without an attitude in the CL (formally known as DL).  😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, tvo7 said:

In my opinion they have telegraphed the possibility that sometime in the future the Crown Lounge will be for Diamond Plus and Pinnacle. They are already excluding Diamonds at certain times on some cruises. 

3 hours ago, Tatka said:

We like both. Benefits and a lounge.

We think Royal's benefits are the best, and they are achieved the earliest.

We would go crazy if we instead of cruising would work on achieving this status.

I agree they are the best. I have said I chased pts last year to hit 340 for the solo discount. And while it is awesome, I didnt really get to use it asap, not royals fault. No other line gives me a discount on all cabins. People post well so and so has these tiny solo cabins, go do them. I think it's nice rcl let's me have a full sized regular cabin. And a extra loyalty solo pt.

I'm doing a 2 week carnival journey cruise next month and will miss my free wifi and 5 drinks a day. It's enough to make me think twice about booking other lines where that costs a lot more. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'm doing a 2 week carnival journey cruise next month and will miss my free wifi and 5 drinks a day. It's enough to make me think twice about booking other lines where that costs a lot more. 

It does affect our decisions... We did not cruises exclusively to achieve status, but status gives us some nice benefits.

Not only status though. We cruise out of Northeast now. 

Royal gives us 5 good choices a year. 4 out of NJ... with various classes of ships and itineraries + 12 dayer on Vision class out of Baltimore.

This + benefits... + winter ship Anthem make us very loyal.

We would go out of the way for some exotic itinerary in Europe where Royal often loses to NCL or Priness.

We would sail with Celebrity if price is close (at least not MUCH more).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, tvo7 said:

Well if you like cruising, and 4 day is the limit.  I would just do the inside.  Lots cheaper, and eventually you will get there.  2 x 4 = 8.  80 - 22 = 58.  58 / 8 = 7.25 aka 8.  Other math 3 x 4 = 12.  58 / 12 = 4.17 aka 5.  A cheap blend would be 6 inside = 48 plus 1 balcony equals aka 7.  Lots of other permutations of the math…

Personally, I would do it based on which is more affordable each time you book.  Once you start booking balconies it is hard to go back inside.  Sometimes inside or Ocean view not much different than a balcony other times not so much.

Have fun.

13 hours ago, tvo7 said:

Since we now have vouchers for the 4 drinks the lounge is not as important.  That said, we like going to the lounge and meeting people.  You know the people there are experienced cruisers, which means they are less likely to do foolish things, which means hanging out with them might have a bit less drama.  I like less drama.  😆

12 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

The drinks are a good benefit for me as I drink very little.  Saves me $40 a cruise. Nice but I would not call it wonderful. 

It seems to me if your for real that you are inflating the worth of Diamond status. 

4 drinks a week?  Charles, you need to stretch a bit when on vacation.  🤣

12 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

4 drinks a week?  Charles, you need to stretch a bit when on vacation.  🤣

Lol I think I had 2 alcoholic drinks in 3 weeks on harmony. 

Though I did get turned on to ginger beer, like ginger ale except stronger ginger taste. Near the end. 2 cold coffees and a few soft drinks. Fresh squeezed oj. 

I doubt I spent $40 per week on drinks but I still love having that option. I MIGHT want a drink. I enjoyed having fresh squeezed oj most mornings. It's still a nice luxury even if you dont drink a lot.

I enjoyed my wifi coupon. The last 2 weeks I got online Wednesday night for 19.99. Cheapest ever so I said YES. I get upgraded toiletries, and I use the shampoo and cream rinse. Saves me having to pack it. Flying is easier liquid wise. It's not the monetary value precisely it's more it's a small stress less having it. 

Wifi cost Wednesday night x 2 weeks. Best I've seen.

20231207_000343929.jpeg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

And yet you felt compelled to call out your tier level here. 😂

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, tvo7 said:

Of course it’s a possibility. None of the perks are written in stone.

enjoy cruising for cruising, not perks. Four drinks are not worth spending thousands of dollars just to get them

Edited by lovesthebeach2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, doghog said:

And yet you felt compelled to call out your tier level here. 😂

Not compelled at all in the way that you're implying, but, you're right. I could've merely said that I was lounge eligible to make the same point. 

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea

54 minutes ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

Not compelled at all in the way that you're implying, but, you're right. I could've merely said that I was lounge eligible to make the same point. 

Exactly my point. 

Edited by doghog