These cruise prices are insanely high!!

P.A.

11 minutes ago, peder said:

The question is how are consumers affording this?

There's no more cash-out refinancing, stock market has been less consistent (and many even relatively recently took big losses when re-allocating to fixed incomes with high interest rates), and many consumers are feeling the squeeze from many directions.

It's just bizarre to me that cruise prices are exploding when it seems like there'd be a lot of pressure for the opposite.

Totally agree with you. The cruise I was pricing is $2000 more. In this day and age people can't afford it. We are on a limited retired budget.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

I feel like a high school level economics class with a section on supply and demand should be mandated before anyone can post on CC.

I knew the Grinch would have some kind of comment. Smh.🙄

• Like 2

1 minute ago, P.A. said:

Totally agree with you. The cruise I was pricing is $2000 more. In this day and age people can't afford it. We are on a limited retired budget.

Why do you extrapolate your experience and situation to everyone else?  People can afford it, or they would not be doing it. Maybe some people are living beyond what they can do, but not the entire ship, across the entire fleet, every single week. 

Has anyone checked if resorts are doing as well, or have they all figured out that cruising is a better deal?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, alfaeric said:

Supply and demand. Econ101. 

In Jan, supply was there, and demand was nominal. Now, so close to sailing, supply is almost gone, and people are willing to pay more. 

In the past, the lack of demand would often lower prices after final payment, but demand is so high now that it’s unlikely to happen. Let alone the Royal up process. 

Your missing the whole point. It is Not supply n demand. I'm addressing the same:

cabin,

date

both prices displayed from RCI site. 

Only difference is Rate Type. Yet no explanation of what I'm getting for the extra cost. 

Hi,

For some time now RCI have been removing certain areas of old ships and replacing them with new cabins/suites and these have been selling very well.

Also the newer ships are going to be more expensive as they are new and a lot of people like to get aboard them as quick as possible and seem to have no issue with the cost.

Now, if your like me, getting on in life and only working so many hours a weeks, then going on new ships or in suites on older ones is not going to happen - not on RCI or any other line.

That does not mean I have to go without.

I am happy to do cruises from the UK where I am based around Europe, fly to Europe to do cruises, fly to the US for Caribbean cruise and do TAs.

I enjoy cruising, I enjoy just getting on a ship and chilling and don't need to jump on zip-lines and merry-go-rounds.

I have not been on any Oasis class ships but have done all other classes and like what each class of ship offers.

A factor that may come into play when making a decision is your C&A status. If you are Diamond and above and do not drink enough to warrant a drinks package, then it is quite possible if you are happy with the MDR and/or Windjammer then you can keep the cost down.

Again, doing something like a TA may only involve one flight and may not call at many ports resulting is less port taxes and the expense of trips.

Also are you happy with an Interior? On TAs when the weather and sea can turn bad a good solid Interior is worth it, again sometimes at half the price of a suite.

Although the entertainment has gone downhill a bit on a few of the older ships, there is always still plenty to do if you look around.

I will be on the Jewel's TA this coming April (Got it for a good price even with the one-way air fare to Miami) and then the Indy's 12 Canneries cruise from the UK in May 2025 to not just cut out the cost of air fare, but to avoid the pain of airports in general as there has been so much disruption with strikes that this spoils the whole thing.

On the other hand if you have the money then you can always book a Oasis class ship and have a suite and buy a drinks package and go every specialty restaurant and get the key and book every trip going. It really is up to you how you spend your money, but I would rather book another cruise with it. Mind you, I am D+ so get 5 drinks a day which really does help me save a bit od cash.

Mick.

Edited by Mick B
  • Like 3

I was looking at Icon right after bookings became available. At that time I was suffering from a bit of sticker shock. A month later we decided to book anyway; however prices doubled compared to the original quotes! So yes, supply and demand. We ended up on Wonder instead (never been on an Oasis class ship, so this will be a treat).

My family also booked a MSC cruise for about 50% less compared to Wonder.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, P.A. said:

I am sorry if you can’t afford the current rates to cruise on RCI. But don’t make the mistake of assuming everyone can’t afford it. There are a LOT of people out there that can easily afford to cruise every month even at the current prices. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I am sorry if you can’t afford the current rates to cruise on RCI. But don’t make the mistake of assuming everyone can’t afford it. There are a LOT of people out there that can easily afford to cruise every month even at the current prices. 

It also depends on what value is the ship/itinerary/date for each person. Two adults value for Icon/Oasis class is different from a family of four.  

Someone who only has a handful of dates they can go on a vacation will pay a premium.  That may be their only cruise for 2-3 years.

1 hour ago, exm said:

I was looking at Icon right after bookings became available. At that time I was suffering from a bit of sticker shock. A month later we decided to book anyway; however prices doubled compared to the original quotes! So yes, supply and demand. We ended up on Wonder instead (never been on an Oasis class ship, so this will be a treat).

My family also booked a MSC cruise for about 50% less compared to Wonder.

We also looked at Icon when she was released and Star but the costs are too high at the moment and the itinerary is the same old. We have done Oasis of the seas and really enjoyed it both times around Europe and Mexico. 

In the end we booked MSC world Europa out of Barcelona April 24, including grats and drinks for £1700. Two adults and 1 child 7 days. Flights an extra £500. 👍

• Like 2

Yes, they are too high. I have stopped booking cruises. I would normally have Sept 2024 and Jan 2025 booked by now, as I book  more than a year out. We will have to explore land bases vacations until, if ever, they come back down. Very sad, but things change.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I think everyone should quit booking so I can book more for less. I appreciate the sacrifice you will make on my behalf. 

Merry Christmas 🎄🎁 

I have two cruises booked on Icon, but currently have no plans to book another cruise on Icon or Star at current prices. You are welcome for my sacrifice. However, I continue to have no issue booking cruises at current prices on Oasis class ships and lower, so my sacrifice is likely minimal at best. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, George C said:

I found cruises out of Galveston are cheaper also older ships , if you look at new oasis class compared to older oasis class you will find a big difference.

You can get a balcony on Harmony of the Seas 7 nights for $1700.  I would assume because more people prefer to cruise out of Florida Ports.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SUgwoz said:

You can get a balcony on Harmony of the Seas 7 nights for $1700.  I would assume because more people prefer to cruise out of Florida Ports.

It is odd sometimes. I have friends looking to join me on mariner may 6 doing its maiden voyager from texas. Even with a group price and d+ balcony he is paying over 2k for a balcony on mariner. I see balconys on harmony same week at $1800 direct .. probably central park, but cheaper than a balcony on mariner. Harmony balconys are cheaper than the smaller older ship that has fewer balconys.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2023 at 4:51 PM, P.A. said:

Does anyone else think these cruise prices are way too high right now?

Oh, yes!  Prices are crazy right now, but I personally think we're in a high-priced bubble.  I think the ship will right itself -- metaphorically -- in a year or two.  

On 12/17/2023 at 5:33 PM, gatour said:

If people are willing to pay the current fares then RCCL doesn't think they are way overpriced.  It is how the free market works.  Basic economics.

Eh, agree and disagree.  We've all seen the news bites about how many people are living paycheck to paycheck, about how a large percentage of people couldn't pay out of pocket for a $400 emergency, about how many people are in credit card debt.  I am very sure that more than a few people have decided they'll never be out of debt, so why not keep spending the plastic?  Just one example:  I personally know people who lease a new car every two years because "I'll never be able to pay off a car anyway."  

On 12/18/2023 at 12:33 PM, Crazy planning mom said:

If you are retired, have you considered looking at last minute deals on older ships like Enchantment, Grandeur, etc.?

Yep!  That's how we were able to cruise Indy for $99 each last year -- even got a bump-up from an Inside to a Promenade Cabin!  Retirement is great, and I wish we'd see that deal again.  

23 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

We also looked at Icon when she was released and Star but the costs are too high at the moment and the itinerary is the same old.

Oh, yes.  My husband looked at Icon prices and told me to forget sailing on the newest and greatest!  

24 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Eh, agree and disagree.  We've all seen the news bites about how many people are living paycheck to paycheck, about how a large percentage of people couldn't pay out of pocket for a $400 emergency, about how many people are in credit card debt.  I am very sure that more than a few people have decided they'll never be out of debt, so why not keep spending the plastic?  Just one example:  I personally know people who lease a new car every two years because "I'll never be able to pay off a car anyway."  

It doesn't matter if the people that are spending the money are in debt, they are still purchasing.  Every one of those people could use that money for anything, but choosing a cruise with Royal.  Even if they felt like they had to cruise, several have pointed out other cruising options that are cheaper.

If everyone switched to competitors, Royal sailing prices would decline. 

26 minutes ago, SUgwoz said:

It doesn't matter if the people that are spending the money are in debt, they are still purchasing.  Every one of those people could use that money for anything, but choosing a cruise with Royal.  Even if they felt like they had to cruise, several have pointed out other cruising options that are cheaper.

If everyone switched to competitors, Royal sailing prices would decline. 

If we read other cruise line CC Forums, you will find the same issues, comments, remarks.

On 12/18/2023 at 7:50 AM, asctony said:

The $3, 354 was booked Jan 2023.

The other 2 prices were as of Dec 2023. Yes, I booked in Jan 2023 and made out great. SS_20231217_133725.thumb.jpg.d9b6023f8c3f1d78143010e3b4f30519.jpgSS_20231217_133635.thumb.jpg.e8043ace4724f23d9445a239eed10bae.jpg

FYI -I finally figured it out. The reason for the price difference. Stupid me!

NONREFUNDABLE ($3,947.58)

vs 

REFUNDABLE ($5,607.58)

HAPPY HOLIDAYS & CRUISING 

YES, I'M SHOUTING OUT TO ALL OF YOU. LOL

• Like 5

Last time the economy was as bad as people want to convince you it is, cruise prices plummeted. It’s what got us back into cruising back in 2009. 

Travel isn’t the same as material goods you need to get by- this is almost totally optional and luxury spend. It’s not just cruising- hotels, flights, campers, camping, etc- the demand is up. 

Again, sure, some people are living beyond their means. But not everyone. At the same time. In all travel segments. High cruise prices are a strong sign that the economy is humming. Beyond what many retirees planned for. 

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I have two cruises booked on Icon, but currently have no plans to book another cruise on Icon or Star at current prices. You are welcome for my sacrifice. However, I continue to have no issue booking cruises at current prices on Oasis class ships and lower, so my sacrifice is likely minimal at best. 

I appreciate you doing that for me. 😀

I don’t think anymore icon are in the cards for a few years though… I booked icon the day she came out and got a D4 balcony for 2650 for two 

since then I have decent prices on 3 oasis of the seas. One immediately after I get off icon and another 2 B2B a year later. I know prices on some things seem high right now, but I really think if people are flexible. There are still some decent deals to be found out there.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1