These cruise prices are insanely high!!

P.A.

Does anyone else think these cruise prices are way too high right now? We are Platinum with RCCL and Princess so we've been on many cruises. The last one for us was Alaska (our 3rd or 4th to Alaska) in Aug of 2021. Usually we could go to Alaska inside passage 7 days for around $3000 or less for two. Now it's in the $4000-$5000 range! What's up with that?!?!

Anyone feel like they're WAY overpriced now? 🤔

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, P.A. said:

Does anyone else think these cruise prices are way too high right now? We are Platinum with RCCL and Princess so we've been on many cruises. The last one for us was Alaska (our 3rd or 4th to Alaska) in Aug of 2021. Usually we could go to Alaska inside passage 7 days for around $3000 or less for two. Now it's in the $4000-$5000 range! What's up with that?!?!

If people are willing to pay the current fares then RCCL doesn't think they are way overpriced.  It is how the free market works.  Basic economics.

• Like 4

Example, Symphony OTS. Central Park Balcony. B2B 6 day & 8 day.

Booked months ago. Then checked today, 12\17\2023. Same Category Cabin. Pic attached is price of each cruise. 1st booked months ago.

2nd total without $675 bonus.

3rd total with $675 bonus.

Have no idea of what $675 bonus is as I don't see any OBC. Same cabin, same dates.

You figure it out.

Here is pic of computations. I also screen printed the actual quotes with prices for dates and cabin number if anyone doubts my info.

Can anyone explain these prices?

Be nice. I'm just adding info to this.

SS_20231217_140854.jpg

I used to pay $1800-2400 for an OV balcony on Oasis class. It's 1000 more now. I booked on Mariner as my last cruise until prices come back down. It's outrageous. 

I seen an article today where a family suite on Icon can cost as much as $80,000 a week. As long as people are paying, prices will continue.

4 hours ago, P.A. said:

RCI cruises are priced exactly where they should be right now based on the current demand. I don’t see this changing anytime in the near future. If you are not comfortable paying the current rates (everyone’s financial situation is different) there are other cruise lines with lower fares. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tlbecker1 said:

It also depends on when you book.  If you are looking for lower prices, than make sure when the ship/itinerary is released, book it!

yes i noticed the same thing for all my cruises. earlier this year i booked independence for November 2024, pricing now at exactly at like 11 months from sail date is already like 200 dollars higher

• Like 1

13 hours ago, asctony said:

Example, Symphony OTS. Central Park Balcony. B2B 6 day & 8 day.

Booked months ago. Then checked today, 12\17\2023. Same Category Cabin. Pic attached is price of each cruise. 1st booked months ago.

2nd total without $675 bonus.

3rd total with $675 bonus.

Have no idea of what $675 bonus is as I don't see any OBC. Same cabin, same dates.

You figure it out.

Here is pic of computations. I also screen printed the actual quotes with prices for dates and cabin number if anyone doubts my info.

Can anyone explain these prices?

Be nice. I'm just adding info to this.

SS_20231217_140854.jpg

The $3, 354 was booked Jan 2023.

The other 2 prices were as of Dec 2023. Yes, I booked in Jan 2023 and made out great. SS_20231217_133725.thumb.jpg.d9b6023f8c3f1d78143010e3b4f30519.jpgSS_20231217_133635.thumb.jpg.e8043ace4724f23d9445a239eed10bae.jpg

12 hours ago, Tlbecker1 said:

It also depends on when you book.  If you are looking for lower prices, than make sure when the ship/itinerary is released, book it!

That was, and probably still is, true.  Unfortunately the starting prices for the newly released cruises for 2025/2026 are also way up there.  We ended up booking an older ship with no bells and whistles with our kids (who will be 16 and 20 by then so they say they are ok with it) as ships like Harmony, Oasis, Adventure, Independence, etc were 2k more and up to over 7K CAD for a family of 4 in an inside room.  Mind you, this is xmas but still insane as the OP's thread.  I know since it's xmas it doesn't help but still, it's a lot.  Sadly, I think  your comment is true as well as even from starting price, it will only go up (and has already).  

P.S. - We will also check the shorter cruises as an alternative when they are released in Feb, but not expecting any different.

Edited by LuCruise
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, asctony said:

Can anyone explain the differences in the 2 prices I posted? Same cabin same date. What or why the $1,600 difference?

TIA

Idk but sounds like you said you booked the first jan 2023 and then other was as of dec 2023. The price went up. Were the screen shots taken the same exact day. If not .. then yes of course prices have gone up. Idk enough to know what variables you entered. If I did it I'd have a completely different price. 

32 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Idk but sounds like you said you booked the first jan 2023 and then other was as of dec 2023. The price went up. Were the screen shots taken the same exact day. If not .. then yes of course prices have gone up. Idk enough to know what variables you entered. If I did it I'd have a completely different price. 

Yes, both screenshots for cabin 9239 were taken within seconds of each other.

I understand the price difference between Jan 2023 and Dec 2023.

However, my question is why the difference between the two $3,948 and $5,608 when they are both for the same cabin. The rate type is the difference. What does that mean? 

11 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

I feel like a high school level economics class with a section on supply and demand should be mandated before anyone can post on CC.

The question is how are consumers affording this?

There's no more cash-out refinancing, stock market has been less consistent (and many even relatively recently took big losses when re-allocating to fixed incomes with high interest rates), and many consumers are feeling the squeeze from many directions.

It's just bizarre to me that cruise prices are exploding when it seems like there'd be a lot of pressure for the opposite.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, asctony said:

However, my question is why the difference between the two $3,948 and $5,608 when they are both for the same cabin. The rate type is the difference. What does that mean? 

There's really no point in trying to figure it out. Royal are masters of fuzzy maths. You look at the bottom line and if you're ok with it you book and if you're not you don't.

I'm on that same cruise you're using as an example. The cost, if I were to book today, is almost double what I paid. The same itinerary on the 24th of February sailing is only just a few hundred more than my price for the 10th.

It's all about demand. The 10th is Super Bowl, Mardi Gras and Valentine's Day. Those are all factors that make more people want to book and the more people are booking, the higher the prices.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, asctony said:

Lol idk even what  2S is as I never saw that before. what kind of inside

Cheapest for me as a solo is a connecting inside. What I meant by idk what you input, I click on the apply promo and discount tab to enter codes, texas and senior. It does seem like its random which discounts it takes. I'm looking for a category. Like 4v etc. What is a 4S inside? 

My total price for a deck 9 inside is under 3k but still a lot. I agree. 1 taxes and fees added. $2700 ish My deck 9 price inside shows as ..connecting inside. Non connecting a tad more. 

Are you inputting discounts was what I was asking. Adding in your C & A code sometimes makes it higher or lower. @Ourusualbeachprobably knows. I dont.

20231218_085503.jpg

20231218_085848259.jpeg

Edited by firefly333

2 hours ago, asctony said:

Can anyone explain the differences in the 2 prices I posted? Same cabin same date. What or why the $1,600 difference?

TIA

Supply and demand. Econ101. 

In Jan, supply was there, and demand was nominal. Now, so close to sailing, supply is almost gone, and people are willing to pay more. 

In the past, the lack of demand would often lower prices after final payment, but demand is so high now that it’s unlikely to happen. Let alone the Royal up process.