Surcharges for drinks in Retreat Lounge

TrueCruiseaholic

1 hour ago, 39august said:

Are Azteca and the two Zacapa drinks  the only drinks in World Class Bar that are over the $17 limit, please?. Of course these are my favs there but I can get by on some of the others. 

With the premium package we shouldn’t have to “get by” with drinks like this. There will always be an extra charge for some cocktails and wine but it’s turning into more the norm. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, riredsox said:

II bet they up the prices based on how popular they are and not the cost of making it.  Celebrity has certainly fallen far.  Sad, very sad.  

I think you are right. Decoy, Conundrum, Cherry Tart and a few others are very popular and the price has risen above the PBP limit. I find it very cynical on Celebrity's part. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, tfred said:

there certainly is a new crowd and many of them are from land based vacations /resorts

I am not so sure that those same land customer spending $1k/night (or more) would be thrilled with the wine/spirit selection with the PDP   They may have eaten in some better restaurants along the way that offer a good selection of booze. Dropping $200/day (as a duel occupancy room) and drinking the included Mouton cadet red blend isnt a plus in Luminae.  

If they are the 1,000+ a night people there are two likely options. They are used to paying that price with nothing included so an extra up charge here and there is negligible. Or if they are All Inclusive people who are accustomed to the trash liquor and sparse house wine that you typically find on those properties anything is an improvement. Cruiselines, not just Celebrity, are capitalizing on that and charging accordingly. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

If they are the 1,000+ a night people there are two likely options. They are used to paying that price with nothing included so an extra up charge here and there is negligible. Or if they are All Inclusive people who are accustomed to the trash liquor and sparse house wine that you typically find on those properties anything is an improvement. Cruiselines, not just Celebrity, are capitalizing on that and charging accordingly. 

you are talking about the Ritz Carlton folks when going there during peak season. That's the group that can write checks all year without reconciling the checking account, if you know what I mean.

while we get accomdations ton land hat are very good we can do it at 300 a night and less if we look for more than a few minutes. That leaves 700 a day for everything else. We never get close to it.

But when I go out for a pizza dinner in Italy, and order a Stella, the Stella is not $12 plus 20% grat.

There are plentry of nice places on a land vacation , with great ambiance and great food where you can get away for 20-30 PP plus drinks and walk away rather happy. And yes the upper level wines and whiskeys are available for a lesser cost than the cruise line.Heck, the lower end drinks are available on land in most cases lower than the ship price to us. Actually, since I have Whiskey in a glass at dinner, my wife on land would order 1 carafe or half bottle of house wine for 4-5 bucks and would be thrilled. The upcharge dor a better wine , not fantastic, was still inexpensive. With X drink packages its like joining a club and thats your membershp fee, entitling you to inexpensive drinks.

And yes, for that 300 accomodation you can be right in the center of where the action is so in 5 minutes after leaving your room you are in the middle of things vs using a tender  or a port where it takes 10-15 minutes to get down and off the ship and to the exit of port, more if buses are necessary, it eats into your already short day in port. And remember gangway up at 30 minutes before sail.

Our new years eve group was thinking about earlier dining venues and remember 15 years  when we ordered 2 bottles  of a yellow tail at $34 each when those bottles at retail were 5 bucks, 7 at most. We shrugged, it was NYE then as now and their prices were surcharged.

But I do not like spending money unnecessarily or not getting good value regardless of what I spend.

2 hours ago, riredsox said:

I find it funny that the Azteca drink in the WC bar jumped $2 but most others stayed at $17.  It’s the same drink that use to cost the same as the others.  It makes no sense to me unless they are upping all the drinks one drink at a time.  I bet they up the prices based on how popular they are and not the cost of making it.  Celebrity has certainly fallen far.  Sad, very sad.  

I used to love the drinks at WCB but since they changed contracts I don't find them as good. I bring my own red wine on-board so no need to buy the package as Elite plus and I find that sufficient.  I do miss the sparkling water but refuse to pay 7.50 plus gratuities per bottle. 

• Like 1

Just had a call back due to an email to Corporate, was told that there will be no up charges for drinks in the retreat lounge or sun deck. But outside of the retreat if the price is above $17 I will be charged. 
Think I will just ask the waiter to go get my drink from the retreat lounge 😂😂😂👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I used to love the drinks at WCB but since they changed contracts I don't find them as good. I bring my own red wine on-board so no need to buy the package as Elite plus and I find that sufficient.  I do miss the sparkling water but refuse to pay 7.50 plus gratuities per bottle. 

I would agree. The first few years the craft cocktails were quite good and both my wife and I could find a number of drinks we enjoyed. The latest iteration leaves something to be desired in my opinion. There rum old fashioned was my favorite, but they changed the rum several times in the past year and are now charging above the premium package cap for that cocktail. Can’t seem to win lately. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, swigso said:

Think I will just ask the waiter to go get my drink from the retreat lounge 😂😂😂👍

You could call your Butler --- oh wait ..l guess you can't . . . . .

Now let's see how long it takes for the first post to arrive about the over the limit drink contents not being available in the Retreat Lounge / Retreat Sundeck. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 39august said:

All these reports of "no upcharge in Retreat or Lumine" just mean no drinks or wine will be available that are over the premium limit. 

I do not think Luminae is included.  @swigso said that it was no up charge in the Retreat Lounge or Sundeck. 

6 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Yes, it has.  

I made that comment in response to the comment about no "up charges in the Retreat."  I consider Luminae a part of the Retreat experience which is why I was questioning the response from the Celebrity executive. 

My sister in law just was told that Decoy is an up charge in the retreat lounge.so much for no up charges here…

we are on the Beyond

Edited by Susanb10567
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Diav said:

Hi all, we are on the Apex now. The wine list in Luminae is very poor, imho, and the wine stewards say we shouldn’t tell them but send an email to HQ. 

if you’d like me to check out something in the bars or otherwise, let me know.

Hi, Diav! If you get a chance, can you please take a picture or otherwise post the wine-by-the-glass list (esp PDP) in Luminae with prices? TIA.

5 hours ago, HMR74 said:

you are talking about the Ritz Carlton folks when going there during peak season. That's the group that can write checks all year without reconciling the checking account, if you know what I mean.

while we get accomdations ton land hat are very good we can do it at 300 a night and less if we look for more than a few minutes. That leaves 700 a day for everything else. We never get close to it.

But when I go out for a pizza dinner in Italy, and order a Stella, the Stella is not $12 plus 20% grat.

There are plentry of nice places on a land vacation , with great ambiance and great food where you can get away for 20-30 PP plus drinks and walk away rather happy. And yes the upper level wines and whiskeys are available for a lesser cost than the cruise line.Heck, the lower end drinks are available on land in most cases lower than the ship price to us. Actually, since I have Whiskey in a glass at dinner, my wife on land would order 1 carafe or half bottle of house wine for 4-5 bucks and would be thrilled. The upcharge dor a better wine , not fantastic, was still inexpensive. With X drink packages its like joining a club and thats your membershp fee, entitling you to inexpensive drinks.

And yes, for that 300 accomodation you can be right in the center of where the action is so in 5 minutes after leaving your room you are in the middle of things vs using a tender  or a port where it takes 10-15 minutes to get down and off the ship and to the exit of port, more if buses are necessary, it eats into your already short day in port. And remember gangway up at 30 minutes before sail.

Our new years eve group was thinking about earlier dining venues and remember 15 years  when we ordered 2 bottles  of a yellow tail at $34 each when those bottles at retail were 5 bucks, 7 at most. We shrugged, it was NYE then as now and their prices were surcharged.

But I do not like spending money unnecessarily or not getting good value regardless of what I spend.

it is absolutely possible to a land vacation for less money in some great places

the perceived advantage of a cruise is the "one stop shopping" - room, shows, booze, food within a resort setting.

There is no shortage of suite cruisers on FB that are struggling to find a hotel in Fort Lauderdale for one night  - these are not the people who can organize a trip to Santorini on their own. Especially with a group of almost any size ( and I have done it) the dynamics of cars, what time to you eat breakfast?, is very difficult.  Cruises and  Marriott/Ritz Carlton style resorts  are very popular - try booking one in Florida right now - and they are expensive (easily $700/night plus food/booze)  

Cruises and resorts allow a group of any size to do what they want and just meet for dinner. A family of 4 (H/W kids) can set their own schedule and can do different itineraries   

2 hours ago, swigso said:

Just had a call back due to an email to Corporate, was told that there will be no up charges for drinks in the retreat lounge or sun deck. But outside of the retreat if the price is above $17 I will be charged. 

I'm surprised.  The sundeck has always supposed to be "use your drink package" just like Luminae.  The lounge was the only place where drinks were complimentary.

It seems like the executive office is unaware of the old policies and didn't really know what they were changing.  Probably not asking for or taking any input from ship board management on these changes.

14 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I'm surprised.  The sundeck has always supposed to be "use your drink package" just like Luminae.  The lounge was the only place where drinks were complimentary.

It seems like the executive office is unaware of the old policies and didn't really know what they were changing.  Probably not asking for or taking any input from ship board management on these changes.

all I know was that better name spirits and wine were available in the lounge, sun deck and Luminae as of last year   No winks or nods that this was special.

now its Costco level spirits and grocery store wine in suites   Spending $9k on a SS and $2-22 for "better" is a problem.   They won't allow no up charge in the sun deck and lounge with an up charge in Luminae. Pax would be filling water glasses of Macallan in the lounge and walking to Luminae and not ordering anything in the restaurant 

5 minutes ago, tfred said:

all I know was that better name spirits and wine were available in the lounge, sun deck and Luminae as of last year   No winks or nods that this was special.

now its Costco level spirits and grocery store wine in suites   Spending $9k on a SS and $2-22 for "better" is a problem.   They won't allow no up charge in the sun deck and lounge with an up charge in Luminae. Pax would be filling water glasses of Macallan in the lounge and walking to Luminae and not ordering anything in the restaurant 

Remember Gordon Gekko from the movie Wall Street. 

Greed is good. 
Greed is right. 
Greed works. 

He must be advising Celebrity Cruises. 

18 minutes ago, tfred said:

Macallan will probably not be available in the Lounge any longer. 

Edited by jelayne
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Macallan will not be available in the Lounge any longer. 

unfortunate  

That would not prevent me from having a good time ( I can survive on Aberfeldy ) but the chipping away at the edges is a problem. We aren't huge drinkers but better quality than I drink  at home is something that I liked on previous Apex Retreat sailings 

14 minutes ago, tfred said:

unfortunate  

That would not prevent me from having a good time ( I can survive on Aberfeldy ) but the chipping away at the edges is a problem. We aren't huge drinkers but better quality than I drink  at home is something that I liked on previous Apex Retreat sailings 

Hell, I'd be happy if they had what I had at home in stock.  I have not found Zacapa 23 since the restart. 

58 minutes ago, tfred said:

it is absolutely possible to a land vacation for less money in some great places

the perceived advantage of a cruise is the "one stop shopping" - room, shows, booze, food within a resort setting.

There is no shortage of suite cruisers on FB that are struggling to find a hotel in Fort Lauderdale for one night  - these are not the people who can organize a trip to Santorini on their own. Especially with a group of almost any size ( and I have done it) the dynamics of cars, what time to you eat breakfast?, is very difficult.  Cruises and  Marriott/Ritz Carlton style resorts  are very popular - try booking one in Florida right now - and they are expensive (easily $700/night plus food/booze)  

Cruises and resorts allow a group of any size to do what they want and just meet for dinner. A family of 4 (H/W kids) can set their own schedule and can do different itineraries   

We have learned that when we want  a sightseeing intensive vacation, we do our own landtrip. It’s coming out to about 35% of the cost of retreat for comparable time. 

we go alone. We get up and out when we want to, we dine where and when we want to etc, all the logistics the way we want. We go-off on tangents all the time.

My fear is our friends will want to tag along. 

we dine nicely, sometimes elegantly. And we have lots of fun. We see entertainment, and do things like take cooking classes and relaxed days at wineries. We do not feel we missed anything. We rent airbnb or VRBO, either way in the middle of things. And nicely appointed with plenty of space.  90% happy rate. 

but we also have lots of fun in a different way on a cruise. Especially if there is good chemistry with a group or just other couples. 

my concern with the cruise in 2 weeks is it will not be as magical as we are accustomed to. X spoiled us and now it may be frustrating us, where problems were minimal, and they were fixed quickly and nicely fixed, making lemonaide out of lemons. 

the shoreside service has always been a pain in the  butt. But once on board, great. 

we will soon see. 

next up for X they could limit the number of drinks daily  on a package. That would be a pistol. 

9 hours ago, Diav said:

Hi all, we are on the Apex now. The wine list in Luminae is very poor, imho, and the wine stewards say we shouldn’t tell them but send an email to HQ. 

if you’d like me to check out something in the bars or otherwise, let me know.

With due respect to your server -   First step I would recommend is to verbalize your displeasure via the online attention to detail form.   You will probably get a call from the Cellar Master next day and he will sit down with you do discuss.   

WE had a similar problem and he fixed it instantly.   Iain wasn't asking for a wine above drink package just trying to get a wine he likes that we knew was available but the "Sommelier" couldn't find it.    After that meeting it was available every night in every restaurant we dined in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, HMR74 said:

We have learned that when we want  a sightseeing intensive vacation, we do our own landtrip. It’s coming out to about 35% of the cost of retreat for comparable time. 

we go alone. We get up and out when we want to, we dine where and when we want to etc, all the logistics the way we want. We go-off on tangents all the time.

My fear is our friends will want to tag along. 

we dine nicely, sometimes elegantly. And we have lots of fun. We see entertainment, and do things like take cooking classes and relaxed days at wineries. We do not feel we missed anything. We rent airbnb or VRBO, either way in the middle of things. And nicely appointed with plenty of space.  90% happy rate. 

but we also have lots of fun in a different way on a cruise. Especially if there is good chemistry with a group or just other couples. 

my concern with the cruise in 2 weeks is it will not be as magical as we are accustomed to. X spoiled us and now it may be frustrating us, where problems were minimal, and they were fixed quickly and nicely fixed, making lemonaide out of lemons. 

the shoreside service has always been a pain in the  butt. But once on board, great. 

we will soon see. 

next up for X they could limit the number of drinks daily  on a package. That would be a pistol. 

we have done some of the DIY vacations (tons of air, CC and hotel points) and had a great time as well

We like an easy winter vacation (we live in south Florida) and a cruise a good choice   Been on a few ships and like X. Although we had done two Crystal River cruises and they were phenomenal   Really benchmark material 

X (The Retreat for us) has been great. Service, food, booze all good. The "magic " does wear off after a few cruises but what should remain is seamless service with an exemplary experience. On Apex in 10 days so we shall see if the money is worth it. A few other cruise line options for this kind of money 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tfred said:

we have done some of the DIY vacations (tons of air, CC and hotel points) and had a great time as well

We like an easy winter vacation (we live in south Florida) and a cruise a good choice   Been on a few ships and like X. Although we had done two Crystal River cruises and they were phenomenal   Really benchmark material 

X (The Retreat for us) has been great. Service, food, booze all good. The "magic " does wear off after a few cruises but what should remain is seamless service with an exemplary experience. On Apex in 10 days so we shall see if the money is worth it. A few other cruise line options for this kind of money 

I received Vikings regularly  scheduled  snail mailed brochure today. They have an 8 day cruise from Toronto to Milwaukee. , startng at 6k PP.

The introduction made a point about not nickle and diming.

Drinks only at lunch and dinner.

Whatever vacation one chooses, you need to look at the total picture of what you get and how much enjoyment you get.

I still really enjoy motor trips, drive your own car. No forced schedule. Just like to be in a new town/city at dusk. Even then the  technology on tablets  and gps/nav systems makes it pretty easy to find where you are going. That used to be the stressful part. Where you could drive for 30 minutes in wrong direction, pretty difficult now.

• Like 1