Surcharges for drinks in Retreat Lounge

TrueCruiseaholic

1 hour ago, DingoMom said:

Ok, Lemmee throw this out there. When I purchased the PDP, I paid a 20% gratuity. While I think the upcharges are RIDICULOUS, I also think it is uncalled for to add an ADDITIONAL gratuity for the $2 more per glass wine. It is no extra effort, time, or cost for the server or sommelier or bartender to pour this wine in a glass than to pour me a glass of swill that is on my package. Silly Celebrity. SMH.

This is the problem with all percentage based tipping.  

10 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Would anyone know if the WCB is on Beyond. I had read they were going to add it since it is so popular. I do like the odd drink even though I don't have a package.

yes there is (or at least there was in March)

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, dateacher said:

Not even a Sauvignon Blanc on the Luminae list.  To me, the upcharge or lack of choices at the premium package rate is not about the extra cost, it's the principle.

You do realize that Fumé Blanc is another name for Sauvignon Blanc? Different style, same grape…

11 hours ago, Diav said:

There was such a glare in Luminae but here goes

So only one Red wine that is covered by the DBP.  With the exception of the last one, I have had all the others on past cruises as part of the DBP.  Sad, very sad.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 39august said:

Thanks for the menu from Luminae. Disgraceful, Castle Rock!  Fortunately, they usually have several wines not on the list. I will hope for the best in two weeks. 

Wines not on the list will likely be over the Premium limit and not included.

9 hours ago, CruiseRQA said:

It's not really the comparative costs it's the fact that you are paying $10k or so for a suite and they won't comp you a glass of Decoy cab.

I have sailed suites twice on Celebrity and have never been charged extra or asked for my sea pass when being poured a glass of wine in the Luminae.   I generally don't even order anything specific but have asked the wine steward to bring me something appropriate.  Always seemed so  ...   luxurious!   We'll see in two weeks, if they ask for 2 bucks it will be so ... tacky

Read my Post 300.  You should not be charged for anything on a Retreat menu. Full stop.

8 hours ago, 81Zoomie said:

Thanks so much @Diav  Below is the Costco pricing for Conundrum .  Looks like a 5 times markup at least if you consider the volume discounts X must get.  Actually closer to 6 times when you add 20% grats to the cost of each glass.  A six oz pour is $10.49 at Carabbas and the bottle goes for $41.  

We have never been charged an overage in the Retreat lounge.  I concur with @CruiseRQA that charging the extra $2 for a mediocre wine being masqueraded as “premium” in the Retreat is tacky.  When we booked our upcoming cruise over two years ago the Celebrity attitude in the Retreat was pretty much, you ask, and we deliver.  Service with a smile.  Now it appears that the “Retreat” is appropriately named.  Celebrity will “Retreat” from providing elevated levels of service whenever and wherever it chooses to do so.  Here today, gone tomorrow.

IMG_4425.jpeg

Read Post 300 -  you should not be charged for menu items in Retreat per Laura.

1 hour ago, richczarnecki said:

Read Post 300 -  you should not be charged for menu items in Retreat per Laura.

Will be on the Apex in a couple weeks and so will find out.   

20 hours ago, Diav said:

There was such a glare in Luminae but here goes

40D50D2F-12D5-449F-BCD0-B41B3BF64E95.jpeg

Are you being charged an upcharge? According to the post 300 ALL wine on the Luminae menu is supposed to be included !!!

10 hours ago, markeb said:

You do realize that Fumé Blanc is another name for Sauvignon Blanc? Different style, same grape…

I do but missed that.  Still would like a few more choices. Thank you my NoVA neighbor.  I guess asking for a Sancerre would be asking too much

Edited by dateacher
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I just submitted my after cruise survey to Celebrity.  One of my complaints was about the signing of numerous receipts for wine up charges…. And the lack of availability for wines…

You should email the CEO also.

2 hours ago, TommyD3 said:

Are you being charged an upcharge? According to the post 300 ALL wine on the Luminae menu is supposed to be included !!!

Then why put the prices on the menu? She also said in your post that you could get other wines on request at an additional cost. Maybe what is documented as upcharges are those wines. Clear as mud. 

Just now, High on the Seas said:

Then why put the prices on the menu? She also said in your post that you could get other wines on request at an additional cost. Maybe what is documented as upcharges are those wines. Clear as mud. 

Referring to post #300 btw. 

11 hours ago, richczarnecki said:

Read my Post 300.  You should not be charged for anything on a Retreat menu. Full stop.

Technically, you quoted her as saying anything on a Retreat menu is "included in the premium package". I take that to mean that if you have no beverage package, you will be charged the price that is on the menu. Or if you have the classic beverage package, you will be upcharged accordingly.

22 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Actually, they probably get it cheaper..now factor getting it on board and thousands of miles into the ocean, all the while keeping it stored correctly. Why does wine cost more at local restaurants? 

I admitted the costs seems silly. Comparing the costs to your local store seems silly too, at least to me. 

Honestly, there is probably a lot more markup in my drink of choice, Hendricks Gin or a nice Bourbon.  If they start up charging that, I’ll find a substitute. 

The markup is to be expected which is why we always upgrade to a premium package.  The $2 markup is like charging me twice!  And for crappy wines to boot!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, riredsox said:

The markup is to be expected which is why we always upgrade to a premium package.  The $2 markup is like charging me twice!  And for crappy wines to boot!

I remember on the November 2022 cruise I was on CS Mondavi was being served a lot which was part of basic wines and many who had the premium package were ordering it as was a really nice cab.  Imagine purchasing the PBP then ordering off basic!

I was drinking it as part of my Elite benefits. 

• Like 1

Re: Several responses referring to post #300. I don't see how post #300 does anyone any good. It is not signed by Laura so I see no value in quoting it. Now if the poster has a copy of her exact e-mail response, showing that it is from her,, that would be worth something to us all. I'm afraid we are simply stuck with inferior wines on the PDP. 

• Like 3

It may be that this gentleman’s very recent departure (from VP Food and Beverage to VP Hotel Ops) has caused this change   Q4 2023

whoever the new person is may be the one who caused the change. 

IMG_4704.jpeg

2 minutes ago, tfred said:

It may be that this gentleman’s very recent departure (from VP Food and Beverage to VP Hotel Ops) has caused this change   Q4 2023

whoever the new person is may be the one who caused the change. 

IMG_4704.jpeg

I believe that the passengers who pay the price to use Retreat  (the Suite passengers)are most responsible for the increasing costs. Demand = price increases.

I won't be paying any upcharge out of principle.  Maybe if enough people do that, Celebrity will get the message.  I do remember that in March, on Beyond, we won an upgrade to Retreat level.  We still had to pay the upcharge at WCB for the Old Fashion although no upcharge at Luminae or Blu for any wine and I always got higher priced bourbon without an upcharge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orator said:

I believe that the passengers who pay the price to use Retreat  (the Suite passengers)are most responsible for the increasing costs. Demand = price increases.

if I was X I would be trying to raise my prices to keep them equal to land based resorts as well. Why give it away?

Some of this depends on who the new suite customers are   If they are brand new then that is what they are used to buying on land (Lets get a suite!!) then that is what it is.  They really have no expectations of what goes on especially with Luminae and to some extent with the PDP.  The Retreat lounge and sun deck are easy to understand for everyone. 

The established suite pax (those on Cruise Critic for the most part ) know that the PDP and Luminae included all those wines as of last year - X just moved the goalposts  

Lumina isnt just a better MDR - the menu definitely has a twist a that is impossible to tell from the X website. I like it but, there are no shortage of pax on FB that dont like the menu

The PDP sounds pretty inclusive to the average new pax (who is paying more than $17 for a glass of average wine at a resort - no one)   Their problem is getting dinged for $2 when they just dropped $10k for a suite. No one is going to like that for wines that they probably recognize as everyday Costco selections   No one expects Barolos to be included with no up charge 

X should extend the Eden model of obviously different/better drinks and charge $10 more for those wines/spirits - but they have to  be better.  $2 is just the beginning of the "oh, come on" discussion with the Somm that doesnt make anyone feel good.