SS Dress Code Updates - No Opinions Please

Gourmet Gal

As SS begins rolling out a revised dress code I thought it would be helpful to have a thread where members could report any happenings on dress code.  Let’s not get into debates and opinions but utilize this thread for information purposes only.  All I have to report at this time is that my May 2024 Spirit sailing is still advising on the original, classic SS dress code.  No changes yet.  I know several ships have a different standard, perhaps others can chime in.

We are on the Dawn. Officially the classic dress code still applies, but it’s not really enforced. I haven’t seen people with jeans, t shirts or shirts, but I did see people with no jackets in La Terrazza on formal night. But I also know that people were denied entry to Atlantide without a jacket. And it’s definitely not enforced in public areas like bars, Venetian lounge etc. I’m not sure if this was always the case.

I’m on the whisper , my first Silverseas cruise, dress code is enforced, sort of, but every night seems to be casual,, although we’ve had two formal nights already.  My take is is some people really want to dress up, but after 10 hours on a bus somewhere, most people really don’t care and are very happy with great food, wine and friends, a tie and dinner jacket not the key ingredient . 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, westmount said:

I’m on the whisper , my first Silverseas cruise, dress code is enforced, sort of, but every night seems to be casual,, although we’ve had two formal nights already.  My take is is some people really want to dress up, but after 10 hours on a bus somewhere, most people really don’t care and are very happy with great food, wine and friends, a tie and dinner jacket not the key ingredient . 

Thanks for this (as I'm boarding Whisper in Auckland in about a month), but it leaves me slightly confused.  Are you saying they only enforce the 'casual' dress code even on formal nights?

PS – please post more about your cruise.  It will also be my first cruise on Silversea, and first visit to New Zealand and Australia – so everything you experience will be helpful to me!

Yes there are men in tuxedos on formal nights, in the dining room, as they choose, but we are having an awful high number of casual nights that everyone is taken care of. If you bring a couple of blazers and clean shirts, finding god food to eat on the ship is not a problem. I didn’t bring a tie, nor cared to, and found hunger in la Terrazza or even the outdoor grill does not go on. Don’t sweat the dress code, just respect those around you. 

10 minutes ago, claudiaYVR said:

Thanks @westmount, quite the opposite though. Husband hates suits and ties but loves wearing a tux. We have three formal nights coming up in January so considering bringing the tux 🙂

If he likes wearing a tux, he should definitely bring it and wear it!

1 hour ago, claudiaYVR said:

Generally speaking, can anyone comment on whether there are any/many men in tuxedos on formal nights? thanks!

On the recent WB Dawn TA, I'd estimate 10-15% of us were in tuxedos on the first 2 formal nights.  Higher on the last of the 3 nights.

We’re on the Nova now with the new dress code.  However eating at La Dame last night, all gentleman had jackets on, once in the restaurant about 70% took them off—so why have a dress code if not enforced.  Can’t blame the temperature in the room, I’m always warm and really don’t enjoy dining in a jacket-but I left it on though out dinner.

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Thanks for this (as I'm boarding Whisper in Auckland in about a month), but it leaves me slightly confused.  Are you saying they only enforce the 'casual' dress code even on formal nights?

PS – please post more about your cruise.  It will also be my first cruise on Silversea, and first visit to New Zealand and Australia – so everything you experience will be helpful to me!

We will be boarding the Muse at the end of February starting in Auckland, and I finally noticed 3 bowties. My husband's suits were all too big for him (poor baby!) and I found one at Macy's that he agreed to wear. I have no problem dressing up as long as the dress is not long-too easy to trip. I guess what bothers me is being TOLD to be "formal". However, I do agree about jeans, sneakers, shorts, bb caps etc being on the naughty list. But that isn't the point of this thread, so I won't go there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cotto22 said:

I finally noticed 3 bowties

Yes, it took a long time for them to appear on the Jan. 29 sailing as well.  Quick:  book La Terrazza on those nights, even if you have to take waitlist reservation.  Then the suit problem is solved.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Yes, it took a long time for them to appear on the Jan. 29 sailing as well.  Quick:  book La Terrazza on those nights, even if you have to take waitlist reservation.  Then the suit problem is solved.

Still need a jacket in La Terrazza on formal nights, just no tie.

3 hours ago, seaver said:

Not if that change the dress code to Nova's dress code as rumor has it.

Correct. I was referring to the current dress code on all classic ships except the Nova. 

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

And no suit.  Jacket is fine.  Usually bring one in case the DR is cold.  It's the tie and suit that are the issue.

To me the jacket is the issue. I have few suits, if I bring a jacket, I can bring the matching slacks from the same suite.

2 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

To me the jacket is the issue. I have few suits, if I bring a jacket, I can bring the matching slacks from the same suite.

I recall reports that they will happily lend you a jacket to carry over your arm and then put in the back of your chair...