Port of Charleston Sunshine cruisers find cars flooded

Iamthesea

I've cruised out of Charleston a lot over the years, and that was always something I was worried about. Knowing that portion of the city is so prone to flooding. The city market which is right in front of the cruise terminal floods a couple times a year. Several times we drove my pickup down, knowing it was a few inches taller than the more comfortable and fuel efficient car we usually drive on trips just in case.

What is doubly a shame for these cruisers is their entire cruise was rocky and abnormal due to weather, then they get back home they find their car totaled and they're stranded.

Obviously Carnival can't control the weather so we aren't blaming Carnival or anything. But it's just a bad situation.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WhiteOptima said:

It would have been courteous though if the port would have contacted the ship so they could have at least given the passengers a heads up.

I'm sure there are some who would rather be prepared. I've always been of the frame of thought that I wouldn't want to know about anything like that while I'm on a cruise unless there was something I could do on the cruise to help it. Why ruin the cruise?

• Like 9

Something you really don't think about happening.  We have a cruise booked out of Galveston next November that we are driving to.  We have reserved parking in the express lot right next to the pier.  We were going to drive our all electric Hyundai SUV, but think we will take our larger gas powered SUV.  Batteries and salt water don't mix to well.

A while back a hurricane hit galveston.  The existing cruise returned to New Orleans and the cruisers were bussed back. Their was significant news coverage of the piled up cars at the lots near the terminal.  Storms and hurricanes specifically take horrendous tolls on possessions and loss of life.  

10 hours ago, WhiteOptima said:

It would have been courteous though if the port would have contacted the ship so they could have at least given the passengers a heads up.

What difference would it have made except to ruin the remaining days of their cruise. Not much they could do about it while out at sea.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

And from a loss of life perspective, the granddaddy of all hurricanes.

https://www.history.com/news/how-the-galveston-hurricane-of-1900-became-the-deadliest-u-s-natural-disaster

And I heard none of the ships involved offered any FCC.

Edited by staceyglow
  • Haha 5

50 minutes ago, WhiteOptima said:

I would have preferred knowing and trying to make arrangements than walking off the ship and being blasted with the fact that my car was severely damaged and trying to figure out how I was going to get home.  Guess that is just me.

That's fair, everyone is different on things like this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

A while back a hurricane hit Galveston.  The existing cruise returned to New Orleans and the cruisers were bussed back. Their was significant news coverage of the piled up cars at the lots near the terminal.  Storms and hurricanes specifically take horrendous tolls on possessions and loss of life.  

That was due to Hurricane Harvey. When Katrina hit NOLA the Conquest was moved here and had a long run. Galveston recovered and today a fleet of ships call Texas home. The Jubilee is at Terminal 1 tonight awaiting tomorrows cruise.
Check out the Port of Galveston long range plans, much to come here!

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, BallFour4 said:

That was due to Hurricane Harvey. When Katrina hit NOLA the Conquest was moved here and had a long run. Galveston recovered and today a fleet of ships call Texas home. The Jubilee is at Terminal 1 tonight awaiting tomorrows cruise.
Check out the Port of Galveston long range plans, much to come here!

Carnival’s gem of homeports.  One of the most unique sail aways in cruising.

I think that I am in the camp of wanting to know at least a day ahead.  Making arrangements for a car rental, informing family that we would be coming home late (there was one family driving on down to Florida to holiday with family), calling our insurance company.  

As for hurricanes, we were stuck at sea for 2 1/2 extra days when trying to get back into Miami after a hurricane that damage both the POM and PE piers.  I found out through the Broward County website that our ship would remain out at sea before it was announced on the ship.  We got a jump on having our flights re-scheduled, car transportation cancelled and rebooked.  Avoided all of the long lines at Guest Services.

Taking a Carnival Sunshine cruise in March.  I will be driving a Tahoe, so hopfully tall enough should flooding happen again. I know how dangerous flooding (and wind) in the Charleston area and the islands can be.  Had personal experience with hurricane Hugo when our family lost a beach house.

Hope everyone is safetly back home!  Maybe someone will post their experience.  

Edited by Iamthesea
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Carnival’s gem of homeports.  One of the most unique sail aways in cruising.

You like Canaveral as a homeport? We've only sailed from there once. I thought it was simply okay. Be interested in your thoughts.

We have sailed out of Charleston a dozen times but in 20(16?) we sailed from there during a tropical storm. That was the first time we had sailed from Charleston during a storm. We always stay in Mt. Pleasant and I was chatting with our Uber driver on the way to the port. He said downtown Charleston floods whenever there's a big rain coming through. He said we were smart for staying in Mt. Pleasant because it never floods there. Thankfully that was the case for us back then as well since downtown flooded but Mt. P didn't. 

In Mt. Pleasant we prefer the Hyatt Place Town Center which we can keep our vehicle at free while we're gone in a parking garage so even if it did flood, we'd be on higher grounds. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jsglow said:

You like Canaveral as a homeport? We've only sailed from there once. I thought it was simply okay. Be interested in your thoughts.

Well, I would agree with the OK.  Certainly not in the top 5, but it has grown so so much, there is a lot to offer there in terms of amenities near the port.  The number of stay and cruise as well as the parking options are among the best in the industry.  The food options for day before is also impressive.  Sail away is nice but does not rival NYC, Miami or even Tampa.  Lastly, as and important, the options to sail from there are VERY iimpressive.  

4 hours ago, teknoge3k said:

I was chatting with our Uber driver on the way to the port. He said downtown Charleston floods whenever there's a big rain coming through. He said we were smart for staying in Mt. Pleasant because it never floods there. 

In Mt. Pleasant we prefer the Hyatt Place Town Center which we can keep our vehicle at free while we're gone in a parking garage so even if it did flood, we'd be on higher grounds. 

Mount Pleasant may not flood as much as Charleston, but it does have a lot of low spots that fill with water.  Just ask my daughter.  She and her husband recently moved away, but their townhome area held a fair bit of water after a good rain.

Thank you for the reccomendation of the Hyatt Place.  We are currently booked at the HI on Johnnie Dodds Blvd, Mount Pleasant.  Although further away from the port, I may change.  We love that shopping area.  I guess I never noticed the hotel.  Very convenient to the Isle of Palms area where we vacation.

19 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

A while back a hurricane hit galveston.  The existing cruise returned to New Orleans and the cruisers were bussed back. Their was significant news coverage of the piled up cars at the lots near the terminal.  Storms and hurricanes specifically take horrendous tolls on possessions and loss of life.  

I was on conquest and we were dumped in new orleans. I sure never until now heard this we were busses back. We stood in line and got 1 phone call. Took me hours as I was with 2 hc people. We had crew helping wheel chair them off. If there was any bussing us back I would have heard either at guest services or debarking in new orleans. Were you there? If you werent busses, then i assume this was made up. I paid to rent a car. Never saw my car again as Galveston was closed and took so long for allstate to get down there. 

You could have reboarded after you went thru customs in new orleans. Later those who reboarded got permission for conquest to dock at then then new never used port in Houston, but we didnt know this when we got off in new orleans. 

I swore then carnival was so awful I'd never cruise with them again. No free internet, just stand in line and 1 call. First call then didnt have any mid sized rentals. To call a 2nd rental place, another hour in line. Never cruised again with 2 hc adults. 

No offer of bussing.  Impossible I wouldnt have heard. .

2 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

Thank you for the reccomendation of the Hyatt Place.  We are currently booked at the HI on Johnnie Dodds Blvd, Mount Pleasant.  Although further away from the port, I may change.  We love that shopping area.  I guess I never noticed the hotel.  Very convenient to the Isle of Palms area where we vacation.

You're welcome. It's in a great location and if you're familiar with that shopping area, you know how nice it is. There's plenty to walk & shop to as well as restaurants. Plus the free parking is a perk. Granted it's a public garage, it's patrolled by the police at night. 

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I was on conquest and we were dumped in new orleans. I sure never until now heard this we were busses back. We stood in line and got 1 phone call. Took me hours as I was with 2 hc people. We had crew helping wheel chair them off. If there was any bussing us back I would have heard either at guest services or debarking in new orleans. Were you there? If you werent busses, then i assume this was made up. I paid to rent a car. Never saw my car again as Galveston was closed and took so long for allstate to get down there. 

You could have reboarded after you went thru customs in new orleans. Later those who reboarded got permission for conquest to dock at then then new never used port in Houston, but we didnt know this when we got off in new orleans. 

I swore then carnival was so awful I'd never cruise with them again. No free internet, just stand in line and 1 call. First call then didnt have any mid sized rentals. To call a 2nd rental place, another hour in line. Never cruised again with 2 hc adults. 

No offer of bussing.  Impossible I wouldnt have heard. .

My son worked for Carnival at that time in the sound and lighting area.  They did let people get off in NO but I don’t remember buses as an option.  I know they were waiting for Houston to take them.  When he got off he never went back.  

Reminds me of 2017 when a tornado spun off Hurricane Irma hit the Port Canaveral Park 'N Cruise area (many Carnival Magic and RCI Oasis of the Seas cruisers vehicles):

"Among the many businesses destroyed by Hurricane Irma was one of the most popular cruise parking lots in Port Canaveral. The Park ‘N Cruise lot, used by thousands of tourists each year, was hit hard by the storm as she made her way across Florida.

In a Facebook post, the lot reported that before the hurricane, their staff “continuously prepped our facility for the worst case scenario, which was a predicted direct hit.” The post went on to explain that the staff periodically visited to lot to “assess the performance of our facility as well as the condition of” the cars customers had left in their care. As of 9 p.m. that night, the staff reported that there were no problems.

Cruise Parking Lot Hit By Tornado

However, upon returning the next morning, it was discovered that the lot had been struck by a tornado, several of which were reported in conjunction with the hurricane. “The force of this tornado,” they reported, “resulted in the complete loss of our Park ‘N Cruise home. Additionally, the majority of our customer’s vehicles received some level of damage,” including several which the post categorized as “a complete loss.”

As the Park ‘N Cruise’s Facebook page explained, “This feeling of complete loss is only equaled by our feeling of helplessness in our ability to prevent ANY damage to our customer’s vehicles. Regardless, of the fact that our business and facility is a complete loss, our families remained safe throughout the storm…and for that we are thankful beyond measure.”

Immediately, the company’s Facebook page was flooded with messages from longtime customers expressing their sympathies for the owner and hopes that they would be able to get the business up-and-running again quickly.

Meanwhile, Park ‘N Cruise was working hard to help customers returning to the port. “Customers currently on Carnival Magic or the Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas can text their valet ticket # to 866-***-****, for an update on your vehicle’s condition,” said another Facebook post. “We will text back as soon as possible… please keep in mind we are without power and water and communication is spotty at best, but we will respond.”

https://cruiseradio.net/cruise-parking-lot-destroyed-storm/

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

Reminds me of 2017 when a tornado spun off Hurricane Irma hit the Port Canaveral Park 'N Cruise area (many Carnival Magic and RCI Oasis of the Seas cruisers vehicles):

"Among the many businesses destroyed by Hurricane Irma was one of the most popular cruise parking lots in Port Canaveral. The Park ‘N Cruise lot, used by thousands of tourists each year, was hit hard by the storm as she made her way across Florida.

In a Facebook post, the lot reported that before the hurricane, their staff “continuously prepped our facility for the worst case scenario, which was a predicted direct hit.” The post went on to explain that the staff periodically visited to lot to “assess the performance of our facility as well as the condition of” the cars customers had left in their care. As of 9 p.m. that night, the staff reported that there were no problems.

Cruise Parking Lot Hit By Tornado

However, upon returning the next morning, it was discovered that the lot had been struck by a tornado, several of which were reported in conjunction with the hurricane. “The force of this tornado,” they reported, “resulted in the complete loss of our Park ‘N Cruise home. Additionally, the majority of our customer’s vehicles received some level of damage,” including several which the post categorized as “a complete loss.”

As the Park ‘N Cruise’s Facebook page explained, “This feeling of complete loss is only equaled by our feeling of helplessness in our ability to prevent ANY damage to our customer’s vehicles. Regardless, of the fact that our business and facility is a complete loss, our families remained safe throughout the storm…and for that we are thankful beyond measure.”

Immediately, the company’s Facebook page was flooded with messages from longtime customers expressing their sympathies for the owner and hopes that they would be able to get the business up-and-running again quickly.

Meanwhile, Park ‘N Cruise was working hard to help customers returning to the port. “Customers currently on Carnival Magic or the Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas can text their valet ticket # to 866-***-****, for an update on your vehicle’s condition,” said another Facebook post. “We will text back as soon as possible… please keep in mind we are without power and water and communication is spotty at best, but we will respond.”

https://cruiseradio.net/cruise-parking-lot-destroyed-storm/

Remember that one well - Total Loss Vehicle Party of 1 (well two if you count the DH too).  

My vehicle's pic was on the Park 'N Cruise website so I had a good idea that it was one of the more damaged vehicles.  We were able to get a one-way car rental the day the port opened back up (and we weren't price-gouged).  

Oddly enough, I was completely calm.  Carnival was great.  We were rerouted to Western Caribbean, kept safe, and phone lines/internet were opened up to all passengers when we found out the port was closed due to the hurricane/tornadoes.  I couldn't complain as we were safe and not in the vehicle when the tornado hit.  That's what insurance is for. Because of all that, knowing a day or two ahead of time didn't ruin our cruise at all. We thoroughly enjoyed an extra 4 days on our original 6 day cruise. 

• Like 3

I have cruised on the Sunshine a few times and we've parked there when we didn't have a ride to the port. I felt terrible for the passengers! I would have liked to know the day before, and maybe Carnival could give folks free internet to make car rental arrangements or let family members or jobs know. Living here, we'd gotten off a cruise, left, and went to work that day.

FWIW, it doesn't have to rain for it to flood in parts of Charleston. We have tidal flooding as well. But the storm last Sunday was very rare. We locals know the flood prone areas, but this is the first time in my memory that the parking lot at the terminal has flooded.

Edited by proudpatriot07

1 hour ago, proudpatriot07 said:

FWIW, it doesn't have to rain for it to flood in parts of Charleston. We have tidal flooding as well. But the storm last Sunday was very rare. We locals know the flood prone areas, but this is the first time in my memory that the parking lot at the terminal has flooded.

We were down at Wild Dunes in October when the "King tides" were so high that parts of the golf course was flooded for the week.  The road leading to the IOP marina was also flooded in the vicinity of the fire station.