Who's gotten the call from Executive Office from their wine email?

phoenix_dream

To me, the "surprise factor" is what is so wrong (beyond the ridiculous pricing for those glasses of wine - from $12 to $19 in a week for a glass of Villa Maria which I like but $19??).  Last month, the premium package covered almost everything (no matter how one obtained the package - Retreat, Zenith or just plain paid for it as an inclusion or add-on).  Now, as a bad surprise, it doesn't.  It would be like getting on board to find that the daily gratuity charge had been increased with no notice and the upcharge would be added to your cabin account, even though your gratuities were prepaid.  I'm angry because I've had to go to my friends (15 of them) with whom I'm sailing in February and explain that their included classic package now isn't so great and upgrading to premium may not be so great either.  What's next? Awful.

(forgive me for straying off the OP's questions)

Edited by tonto524
add
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, tonto524 said:

To me, the "surprise factor" is what is so wrong (beyond the ridiculous pricing for those glasses of wine - from $12 to $19 in a week for a glass of Villa Maria which I like but $19??).  Last month, the premium package covered almost everything (no matter how one obtained the package - Retreat, Zenith or just plain paid for it as an inclusion or add-on).  Now, as a bad surprise, it doesn't.  It would be like getting on board to find that the daily gratuity charge had been increased with no notice and the upcharge would be added to your cabin account, even though your gratuities were prepaid.  I'm angry because I've had to go to my friends (15 of them) with whom I'm sailing in February and explain that their included classic package now isn't so great and upgrading to premium may not be so great either.  What's next? Awful.

(forgive me for straying off the OP's questions)

I’m looking at the up for our cruise in January and it shows the new pricing on wines which moved some over the $17 limit  and it is showing Villa Maria Sauvagon Blanc at $15.  So it is still covered by the Premium package.  Unfortunately my go to Decoy and red Condundrum are $19. 

1 minute ago, jelayne said:

I’m looking at the up for our cruise in January and it shows the new pricing on wines which moved some over the $17 limit  and it is showing Villa Maria Sauvagon Blanc at $15.  So it is still covered by the Premium package.  Unfortunately my go to Decoy and red Condundrum are $19. 

I swear I saw the Villa at $19, but maybe I was thinking of Conundrum.

19 minutes ago, airhose said:

A 25% increase for Villa is still exorbitant (as are the other price in reases).   Is there any chance that the pours are larger?  Or is that just wishful thinking! 

It should come in a gold glass that you can keep!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, airhose said:

A 25% increase for Villa is still exorbitant (as are the other price in reases).   Is there any chance that the pours are larger?  Or is that just wishful thinking! 

We have always had generous pours

19 hours ago, Bejay219 said:

21 years of booking only Celebrity or Royal suites, last year we made it to Zenith. We have since been booking Sky Suites as prices have soared.  In suites we do not get "Cruise Only" rates. So the only "perk" that we can use is free laundry and a percentage off of specialty restaurants. There is no value in booking Sky Suites anymore, they have taken away-

-Tips

-On board credit 

-Butler (replaced by an overworked  "Retreat Host", Head Butler that is not present and              Retreat Concierges who are overworked. 

-Paying the same gratuites as the Iconic Suite with less service. 

-Food being delivered by random Room Service staff instead of Butler, no personal                    service. 

-Looking at trays of food/wine glasses in the halls (just offAscent) 

-Only 2 bottles of Evian, all other things you are charged for, have to have minibar                         emptied and bring your own soda etc. from the Lounge or bars. 

-Being up charged for wines and the increase in prices for drinks in bars (Eden and                     World Class Bar. 

This has all been taken away from us, and replaced with much higher cruise fares.  We, for the first time, did not book another cruise or pay for "place holders" for future cruises. We have one more cruise for next spring, we will wait and see if we continue, so sad as we, until recently, loved Celebrity and were huge fans. 

-

Absolutely agree!

The final straw for us after changes made to our October/November 2023 cruise may well be the upcharge for a half decent red wine on our March 2024 cruise.

We did not pay for an all inclusive cruise to now have to sign chits, keep track of unexpected expenses and fork out more $$$ at the end of the cruise.

As you have pointed out much that was included at the time of booking has subsequently been removed with neither notice or compensation.

March 2024 may well be our goodbye to Celebrity. For the first time we did not book another cruise on board our last cruise.

We have two more previously booked cruises - fully refundable.

Edited by Baynanno1

On 12/22/2023 at 2:55 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Hi,  Wondering how they were "Fixing" this for suite guests?    

As you know we are both Zenith and Retreat guests.      While on Edge -  things were really confusing.   Prices were in USD of course but listed with an up-charge of 20% to cover gratuities.   I understand it has to do with Australia / New Zealand requires prices to be all inclusive.    I never saw an explanation of what the Max Premium Price Limit was.    Some had to fight to get over charges removed  

I don't drink but do advocate for those like Iain who do drink.    

I met Laura at the Zenith at lunch and when she asked her canned introduction -  "What amazing memories have we created for you on this cruise? "    I responded there were far to many negatives that positives.   She was concerned and asked me to explain.   I as a gentleman, I  answered this isn't the right time or place to go into detail and would write her upon return home.  

I will be including this as a minor point.

What I meant was, concern that they would adjust their rules so that suite guests were no longer charged the small upcharges while in Luminae or in the lounge, but not intend to change anything for anyone else.  I realize I am sounding (and probably am) a bit paranoid here, but frankly the way they've been handling things these days I can understand why.  It's already very frustrating that as a Zenith our perks of premium liquor and Wi-Fi are of no value when booking suites - a separate but annoying issue I didn't want to really get into with this particular thread.

I also don't want to seem like I don't care about non-suite or non-Zenith folks.  I certainly do.  It just seems that there have been quite a few significant sales on drink packages lately which are of no value to us.  So as a suite guest we don't get those kinds of discounts per se as the cost of the package is already included in the (sky high these days) price of the suites.  So once again, paying more and getting less.  But I understand it is an issue for everyone and I hope they look at it that way.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

You pay for a Lexus but you really just get a Toyota with some lipstick 🤣

yes , I drive a Lexus because a used Lexus at times is cheaper than a Toyota 

Almost like the difference between RCL and Celebrity 😁

My DW drives as Lexus, I drive a Toyota -  go figure. 

19 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

What I meant was, concern that they would adjust their rules so that suite guests were no longer charged the small upcharges while in Luminae or in the lounge, but not intend to change anything for anyone else. 

I just looked at the Luminae menu for Mille sailing Dec 23 - Jan 4, and both the Conundrum Red Blend and Decoy Cabernet Sauvignon are showing as $19.00 a glass.  Now the question becomes, does the Premium package now cover up to $19.00 or not?  

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

What I meant was, concern that they would adjust their rules so that suite guests were no longer charged the small upcharges while in Luminae or in the lounge, but not intend to change anything for anyone else.  I realize I am sounding (and probably am) a bit paranoid here, but frankly the way they've been handling things these days I can understand why.  It's already very frustrating that as a Zenith our perks of premium liquor and Wi-Fi are of no value when booking suites - a separate but annoying issue I didn't want to really get into with this particular thread.

I also don't want to seem like I don't care about non-suite or non-Zenith folks.  I certainly do.  It just seems that there have been quite a few significant sales on drink packages lately which are of no value to us.  So as a suite guest we don't get those kinds of discounts per se as the cost of the package is already included in the (sky high these days) price of the suites.  So once again, paying more and getting less.  But I understand it is an issue for everyone and I hope they look at it that way.

We had 7 cruises booked  when the downgrading of SS started.  5 were in Sky Suutes 1 SV and 1 veranda.  Two  SS were past final payment and 1 was priced less than AQ.  We downgraded the other 2 SS to SV.s.

We aren’t fans of Luminae and get the beverage package, wi-fi and Retreat Lounge access so paying suites isn’t worth the price for us.  We looked at AQ as we love Blu but the price for cruise only Aqua is between $2-3K more than a deluxe veranda.  Blu is not worth $250 300 more a day  for breakfast and dinner.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I just looked at the Luminae menu for Mille sailing Dec 23 - Jan 4, and both the Conundrum Red Blend and Decoy Cabernet Sauvignon are showing as $19.00 a glass.  Now the question becomes, does the Premium package now cover up to $19.00 or not?  

Not according to the published new package lists.  Premium still up to $17.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

It covers up to 17.  We have been signing slips for most wines…

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

It covers up to 17.  We have been signing slips for most wines…

Besides generating more revenue for X by changing the drink/price/package structure they may also be reducing their employee costs with the additional 20%.

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

Why keep writing, vote with your $. 

I did, but I am keeping the cruises with X that were already booked. I have a B4B on the Solstice - Hong Kong to Vancouver which is preceded by a 32 day sailing from Mumbai to Hong Kong on Silversea. Airlines, hotels, tours... easier to keep them than look for alternatives. No reason for me to cancel out of spite. I have booked 100 days on Silversea, 14 on MSC and will look into other cruise lines also and give Celebrity a rest. I have never had a bad cruise on Celebrity - or any other cruise line for that matter! 

Edited by billc23
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, tonto524 said:

From friends currently on the Equinox, the premium package (however one has it) covers up to $17.  They are paying the upcharge for Conundrum Red and Decoy. 

Wow...we were on the Equinox Nov. 30-Dec.10 sailings and enjoyed the Decoy regularly with no upcharge.

48 minutes ago, billc23 said:

I did, but I am keeping the cruises with X that were already booked. I have a B4B on the Solstice - Hong Kong to Vancouver which is preceded by a 32 day sailing from Mumbai to Hong Kong on Silversea. Airlines, hotels, tours... easier to keep them than look for alternatives. No reason for me to cancel out of spite. I have booked 100 days on Silversea, 14 on MSC and will look into other cruise lines also and give Celebrity a rest. I have never had a bad cruise on Celebrity - or any other cruise line for that matter! 

I was responding to @goofysmom99.   I gave up writing about every change , their circus, their monkey.  we have enjoyed all our cruises be it in a veranda or RS.  Going forward in a veranda as the price value isn’t there for us. 

But your trip sounds amazing, have a great time.