How does everyone handle long cruises like over 30days?

Therese S.

We are booked on the Grand for 33 days next year sailing to Hawaii and the Soiuth Pacific.  I love the Grand especially the pool in the aft.   Ive been trying to figure out what to do with our pets, paying bills, worried about the house for so long , and more important paying for that many days of parking as we plan to drive to San Pedro.  

Well now we’re seriously considering cancelling this cruise and taking the even longer 54 day on the Island Princess to the South Pacific, New Zealand, Australia cruise in 2026, thats adding on 21 more days Whew.   Now my head spins just thinking about how to handle things at home.  The parking cost for that many days could pay for another cruise!   I think this is a once in a lifetime chance for us to see ports we probably would never think about visiting.  We have taken a 28 day before and it was difficult for our son to watch our pets, check on the house for that long with working, etc.  

So how do you long many days cruisers handle life that goes on at home?  Do you drive to the port and pay for daily parking?  

We love sea days so those don't bother me its just being away from home for so long.  

Has anyone taken Amtrak from Sacramento area to San Pedro?

Just fly from SMF to LAX then Uber to the port. The airfare will be far less than parking for that long.  

As for the other things like bills...most everything can be paid online or set up for autopay these days. And your pets would have to be left with a family member or friend.

If you are worried about being away from home that long then a longer voyage isn't for you 

• Like 9

We have had the same feeling doing our 32 day cruise.   I'm lucky that we have a good friend that came over a couple times a week to water my poted outdoor plants.  She also had a key to the house to check on things inside if need be.  Our next door neighbor came over and kept the pool level up.  We have a pool guy that came in once a week to clean the pool and a gardner who came in once a week to do the front lawn.   

You can go to the post office and request they hold the mail longer then 30 days.   I believe it has to be done in person.

Setup auto pay for some bills,  Over paid on others.   

Would defiinitely not drive.  Fly then Uber or take a shuttle to the port.  Parking at the port has gotten extremely expensive.

• Like 4

A cruise simply cannot be too long for me.  The longest we've taken so far has been 47 days from Fremantle around the Indian Ocean to South Africa and return.  Could have easily stayed on board twice as long.

In terms of the boring necessary admin:

• We usually get a town car from home to the Port and pre-arrange for something similar to pick us up at the conclusion of our trip, whether that be to the same port of a return via air.  If we're in a situation where we leave and return via air in order to reach our embarkation Port, we'd drive to the airport and leave our car in the long term parking which costs $99 for each 30 days.
  • Our mail is picked up and by a neighbour and our bills are paid via direct debit.
  • We live in a secure apartment block with any maintenance arranged via the Strata therefore, no impost on individual owners.
  • We don't have pets so that's not something which we need to make arrangements for.

Voila, stress free long term travel!
  • Like 6

Not a cruise, but we used to annually leave our home in NZ winter to spend 3 months in Europe. Driving there is not an option! This is what we did, not in any particular order.

Taxi to and from local airport for connecting onward international flight

Water turned off

Mail held at the post office

Cat to cattery, cat door locked

Cars left in locked garage on trickle chargers

Garage door opener disabled

Potted plants given to a friend to look after.

All banking & bill-paying online (we do that anyway)

Asked neighbour to keep an eye on things.

Gardener came a couple of times (we don't have grass that needs mowing)

Edited by Korimako
Spelling
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Korimako said:

Not a cruise, but we used to annually leave our home in NZ winter to spend 3 months in Europe. Driving there is not an option! This is what we did, not in any particular order.

Taxi to and from local airport for connecting onward international flight

Water turned off

Mail held at the post office

Cat to cattery, cat door locked

Cars left in locked garage on trickle chargers

Garage door opener disabled

Potted plants given to a friend to look after.

All banking & bill-paying online (we do that anyway)

Asked neighbour to keep an eye on things.

Gardener came a couple of times (we don't have grass that needs mowing)

Thank you,  I would  never thought of turning the water off

• Like 1

2 hours ago, waltd said:

We have had the same feeling doing our 32 day cruise.   I'm lucky that we have a good friend that came over a couple times a week to water my poted outdoor plants.  She also had a key to the house to check on things inside if need be.  Our next door neighbor came over and kept the pool level up.  We have a pool guy that came in once a week to clean the pool and a gardner who came in once a week to do the front lawn.   

You can go to the post office and request they hold the mail longer then 30 days.   I believe it has to be done in person.

Setup auto pay for some bills,  Over paid on others.   

Would defiinitely not drive.  Fly then Uber or take a shuttle to the port.  Parking at the port has gotten extremely expensive.

Unfortunately I don't fly, that's the main reason we are interested in the LA round trip.  I'm going to look into how Amtrak works and renting a car one way.

3 minutes ago, Therese S. said:

Unfortunately I don't fly, that's the main reason we are interested in the LA round trip.  I'm going to look into how Amtrak works and renting a car one way.

Enterprise has the closest office to the ship. Almost walking distance. Only down side is they close on Sunday. We use them to also get to the ship.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Therese S. said:

We are booked on the Grand for 33 days next year sailing to Hawaii and the Soiuth Pacific.  I love the Grand especially the pool in the aft.   Ive been trying to figure out what to do with our pets, paying bills, worried about the house for so long , and more important paying for that many days of parking as we plan to drive to San Pedro.  

Well now we’re seriously considering cancelling this cruise and taking the even longer 54 day on the Island Princess to the South Pacific, New Zealand, Australia cruise in 2026, thats adding on 21 more days Whew.   Now my head spins just thinking about how to handle things at home.  The parking cost for that many days could pay for another cruise!   I think this is a once in a lifetime chance for us to see ports we probably would never think about visiting.  We have taken a 28 day before and it was difficult for our son to watch our pets, check on the house for that long with working, etc.  

So how do you long many days cruisers handle life that goes on at home?  Do you drive to the port and pay for daily parking?  

We love sea days so those don't bother me its just being away from home for so long.  

We stay at Doubletree by Hilton in San Pedro and book one night package with park and cruise.  First 7 days I think are free parking and then it is per day but it is less then the cruise terminal parking.  Free shuttle to cruise port on embark and disembarkation days.

• Thanks 1

Guest Snaxmuppet

Do you keep much in your freezer? You might want to ask a friend to store your frozen food in their freezer so you can then turn off your fridge and freezer for the duration. 

Turn off any water heaters, heating and a/c timers.

Unplug your TVs, computers, internet routers etc and major appliances (protects in case of lightning).

Regarding your rail travel question. I am not aware of any (passenger) train stop in San Pedro. Freight lines once did of course. Los Angeles Grand Central Station is quite a distance away, northern Los Angeles near Chinatown. There is a light rail "A line" that goes south from LA to Long Beach, but still you'd have to get to San Pedro.

Agree with @waltd. If there is an Enterprise office near the Cruise Terminal, then I'd do that. Enterprise used to have a pick-up, drop off service. Ask if they still do that. A real plus if they do.

To your main question, consider viewing the World Cruise section of CC. Everyone there posts of being at sea for extended cruising.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Therese S. said:

Thank you,  I would  never thought of turning the water off

We turn off the water any time we go away, even if for the weekend!  All you need is one water heater to fail and empty its contents.  If water is turned on then the water heater keeps being fed more water!

• Like 1

I have a person watch my home and collect the mail. Almost all my Bill's are on auto pay. The few that are not I pre pay. I over pay credit cards to cover expected expenses. The post office will stop your mail, max 30 days. Parking. I would call the Crown Plaza and the Double Tree to determine their parking fees with a pre cruise stay and just accept as a cost of the vacation. I have been on these extended cruises. It takes lots of planning.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Therese S. said:

I don't have much advice to give.  I just want to wish you luck with whatever you decide to do.  I have a 19-day cruise planned for next year (not on Princess), so I will have some of the same issues and I've been taking notes about the advice you've already been given.

We’ve cruised for up to 150 days in a row, during our winter season, and we own a house in an area with fairly harsh winters. I’ve just copied this from my blog.  It was kind a tongue-in-cheek list of the things we’d do before we left, but it’s a good starting point. 

A partial list of cruise prep to do's:
  • Notify credit card companies and bank (for ATM card) that we’ll be out of the country.
  • Verify all credit card and ATM card PIN numbers.
  • Change auto insurance to comprehensive coverage only.
  • Calculate and mail estimated tax payment for Q4 (despite my accounting background, I abhor doing taxes and hate this one with a passion!).
  • Kiss and make up after arguing while doing taxes. 
  • Vacuum and wipe out all furnace ducts and vent covers.
  • Start up furnace and pray.
  • Shut off gas fireplace.
  • Turn gas fireplace on again, because it got damn cold outside.
  • Shut off gas fireplace again. 
  • Print Christmas card mailing labels for us and Mom.
  • Put Christmas card in envelopes and give to Martha to mail in December.
  • Print hard copies of all reservations- flights, hotels, excursions and cruise (including cruise invoices showing On Board Credits)- because I don’t quite trust the electronic confirmations and tickets on our iDevices. 
  • Change all online financial passwords.
  • Backup laptops onto hard drives and take hard drives to safe deposit box. 
  • Take valuable and sentimental jewelry to safe deposit box and promise myself that next summer I really will wear it (I do this every. single. year. but never follow through).
  • Get passports and Australian currency left over from 2006 Transpacific cruise from safe deposit box.
  • Dig out scuba certification cards just in case we decide to scuba dive
  • Clean up perennial beds in yard.
  • Saw down tree in yard that looks like it might fall down while we are away.
  • Honor every Garbage Day Eve by purging yard and basement and garage trash.
  • Clean house completely about a week before leaving and do a light touch up after the suitcases are packed.
  • Scrub garbage disposal well to eliminate odors while away. 
  • Really well. 
  • Dispose of vacuum cleaner bags in upstairs and downstairs canister vacs. Clean their filters. Replace with new bags. 
  • Clean out bag-less rechargeable vacuum.
  • Lubricate and empty shredder.
  • Fill up cars and put gas stabilizer in tanks.
  • Clean the deck.
  • Bring suitcases up from basement and open them on deck to air out. Vacuum still more sand out of them, leftover from beautiful beaches of cruise seasons past.
  • Reminisce together about all those beautiful beaches of cruise seasons past. 
  • Purchase and mail all Q4 birthday cards early, because of course I did. 
  • Tweak security system. Test iPhone apps that control furnace, security webcams and lights. 
  • Update all apps and operating system on iDevices.
  • Foster house plants out to friends.
  • Leave laptops and household keys with friends. 
  • Give mail key and storage tub to friends.
  • Distribute cruise calendar to friends and family. 
  • Promise neighbors they will be the first to know if we unexpectedly return home early.
  • Apologize again for stirring up the neighborhood when we did just that last year. 
  • Really promise. 
  • Finally, work on cruise beautification efforts, including hair cut, hair color, give self a mani/pedi and apply Sally Hansen Nail Strips in Frock Star (because it is nice to know that some things just never, ever change!).
  • Unplug all unneccessary lights and appliances.
  • Watch as much football as time allows, trying to get our fix before we leave. 

And, of course, shutting off the water goes without saying. I also lifted the toilet seat and covered the bowl with plastic wrap keep sewer gases from backing up into the house, closed all bathtub and sink stoppers and covered shower drains for the same reason. We’d leave all cabinet doors open with plumbing on the outside walls of the house, and leave the heat set on 50°, though we had a WiFi thermostat and could bump it up remotely if the weather looked especially frigid or like we might lose power. 

We pay bills entirely online, so receiving mail was the least of our issues. The biggest issue we ever had was that a credit card we used for automatic payments (that stayed in our safe deposit box) was hacked at the credit card company. They emailed us that they were mailing us a new one. We were at the beginning of a several month season in French Polynesia with really poor internet. A friend had to go through our mail, find that envelope, call us with the information and we had to activate that card from outside the country (the hardest part) and change over the payment info for all of those vendors. But even that was able to be done, just not easily. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

We’ve cruised for up to 150 days in a row, during our winter season, and we own a house in an area with fairly harsh winters. I’ve just copied this from my blog.  It was kind a tongue-in-cheek list of the things we’d do before we left, but it’s a good starting point. 

A partial list of cruise prep to do's:
  • Notify credit card companies and bank (for ATM card) that we’ll be out of the country.
  • Verify all credit card and ATM card PIN numbers.
  • Change auto insurance to comprehensive coverage only.
  • Calculate and mail estimated tax payment for Q4 (despite my accounting background, I abhor doing taxes and hate this one with a passion!).
  • Kiss and make up after arguing while doing taxes. 
  • Vacuum and wipe out all furnace ducts and vent covers.
  • Start up furnace and pray.
  • Shut off gas fireplace.
  • Turn gas fireplace on again, because it got damn cold outside.
  • Shut off gas fireplace again. 
  • Print Christmas card mailing labels for us and Mom.
  • Put Christmas card in envelopes and give to Martha to mail in December.
  • Print hard copies of all reservations- flights, hotels, excursions and cruise (including cruise invoices showing On Board Credits)- because I don’t quite trust the electronic confirmations and tickets on our iDevices. 
  • Change all online financial passwords.
  • Backup laptops onto hard drives and take hard drives to safe deposit box. 
  • Take valuable and sentimental jewelry to safe deposit box and promise myself that next summer I really will wear it (I do this every. single. year. but never follow through).
  • Get passports and Australian currency left over from 2006 Transpacific cruise from safe deposit box.
  • Dig out scuba certification cards just in case we decide to scuba dive
  • Clean up perennial beds in yard.
  • Saw down tree in yard that looks like it might fall down while we are away.
  • Honor every Garbage Day Eve by purging yard and basement and garage trash.
  • Clean house completely about a week before leaving and do a light touch up after the suitcases are packed.
  • Scrub garbage disposal well to eliminate odors while away. 
  • Really well. 
  • Dispose of vacuum cleaner bags in upstairs and downstairs canister vacs. Clean their filters. Replace with new bags. 
  • Clean out bag-less rechargeable vacuum.
  • Lubricate and empty shredder.
  • Fill up cars and put gas stabilizer in tanks.
  • Clean the deck.
  • Bring suitcases up from basement and open them on deck to air out. Vacuum still more sand out of them, leftover from beautiful beaches of cruise seasons past.
  • Reminisce together about all those beautiful beaches of cruise seasons past. 
  • Purchase and mail all Q4 birthday cards early, because of course I did. 
  • Tweak security system. Test iPhone apps that control furnace, security webcams and lights. 
  • Update all apps and operating system on iDevices.
  • Foster house plants out to friends.
  • Leave laptops and household keys with friends. 
  • Give mail key and storage tub to friends.
  • Distribute cruise calendar to friends and family. 
  • Promise neighbors they will be the first to know if we unexpectedly return home early.
  • Apologize again for stirring up the neighborhood when we did just that last year. 
  • Really promise. 
  • Finally, work on cruise beautification efforts, including hair cut, hair color, give self a mani/pedi and apply Sally Hansen Nail Strips in Frock Star (because it is nice to know that some things just never, ever change!).
  • Unplug all unneccessary lights and appliances.
  • Watch as much football as time allows, trying to get our fix before we leave. 

And, of course, shutting off the water goes without saying. I also lifted the toilet seat and covered the bowl with plastic wrap keep sewer gases from backing up into the house, closed all bathtub and sink stoppers and covered shower drains for the same reason. We’d leave all cabinet doors open with plumbing on the outside walls of the house, and leave the heat set on 50°, though we had a WiFi thermostat and could bump it up remotely if the weather looked especially frigid or like we might lose power. 

We pay bills entirely online, so receiving mail was the least of our issues. The biggest issue we ever had was that a credit card we used for automatic payments (that stayed in our safe deposit box) was hacked at the credit card company. They emailed us that they were mailing us a new one. We were at the beginning of a several month season in French Polynesia with really poor internet. A friend had to go through our mail, find that envelope, call us with the information and we had to activate that card from outside the country (the hardest part) and change over the payment info for all of those vendors. But even that was able to be done, just not easily. 

Very thorough list.  We have a shutdown list, but not as comprehensive as yours.  Many of those things I/we do as a matter of course and out of habit.  

For example, I have an item called "secure garage".  Under that we lock our laptops in one of the cars in the garage.  Then I disconnect the garage door openers, turn the handle so that the door is locked, and then put a padlock through then track so it can't be opened.  Then all of the car and motorcycle keys go into a locked key safe that is in an out of the way place that only a contortionist might find.

Financial stuff is all online and/or autopay and I can check and pay bills with my smartphone.

If we had to leave in a hurry and did nothing else, the most important things would be to shut off the water ,turn down the thermostat, and secure the garage doors and ask a neighbor to water the plants and gather the mail and paper.  Did it once for a family emergency several states away and all was well when we returned.

"Be Prepared"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Amazing list! Love the humor in there too.

Regarding foreign currency from previous trips, we've been "bitten" three times by attempting to use banknotes that were, unknown to us, taken out of circulation. The United Kingdom, Norway and most recently Argentina did that to us. Every time the vendors refused to take the old notes saying they were no longer in circulation but we could exchange them at a bank for newer currency. That's exactly what we want to do while touring, visit a bank!

Funny thing though, the 50,000 Argentinian peso note we had was worth more as a collectible than it would have been after all the devaluations.

• Thanks 2

We frequently take long vacations (months, and used to  snow bird).

* If driving to the port for a long cruise duration (or different starting/ending ports), rent a car to/from. You don’t pay for parking that way. The nearest drop off is usually the airport that will have a shuttle to the cruise port.

* If you don’t have a relative willing to check on your house, look for a rental agency or realtor. The person we have checks weekly, sends us photos, and takes care of any maintenance issues that may arise.

* You can get a house/pet sitter. We used to do that when we had a dog and did not take him with us (cruise or international travel). 

* Bills are paid online.

* Mail hold.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2023 at 7:04 AM, skynight said:

I have a person watch my home and collect the mail. Almost all my Bill's are on auto pay. The few that are not I pre pay. I over pay credit cards to cover expected expenses. The post office will stop your mail, max 30 days. 

We recently sailed 50+ days on the Royal and the mail hold was a little tricky since the USPS will only allow you to put a hold for 30 days. They want you to put in a change of address if it's longer than 30 days.  I asked my mailman if there was a way around it and he gave us a form to complete.  Told us to fill it out with the dates of our travel and mark that we would pick up the mail when we returned (instead of him delivering it) and leave the form in the mailbox for him.  He said it was out of the ordinary, but he would make sure it got held, and he was true to his word.   

Other than that, everything else is covered above.  The main thing is having all your bills on autopay and put in payments ahead on the ones that don't send ebills.  

Edited by pompeii