Motion detector lights

PE Cruisers

To all the night walkers and vampiress. I would like to make a statement of relativity.  You put it on, please remove before you leave.  I've broken many a toe, I like illumination at nite .

20231107_105038.thumb.jpg.e38b4db251f99ddf502971b7337c3c16.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3

On 12/25/2023 at 11:17 PM, PE Cruisers said:

Has Princess done anything about the motion light in dressing area since last spring ? Leaving on CB this Wednesday 12/27 and wondering if I need to bring tape to cover motion detector. Dam thing woke me up numerous times on the Emerald in March.

Yes we took black electrical tape for the one in the wardrobe AND the super annoying ones under the bedside tables (Diamond Princess)

2 hours ago, c-boy said:

To all the night walkers and vampiress. I would like to make a statement of relativity.  You put it on, please remove before you leave.  I've broken many a toe, I like illumination at nite .

20231107_105038.thumb.jpg.e38b4db251f99ddf502971b7337c3c16.jpg

We bring a rechargeable nightlight with a dimmer and leave it on the counter in the bathroom with the door cracked The blindingly bright lights in the cabins are way too much for me

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01EOI3RO4?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MissP22 said:

We really enjoyed the auto lights but it would be nice if they stayed on a bit longer. 

Why not just a light controlled by a switch?  Off when you don't want it.  On when you do.  

This whole motion sensor light changeover appears as if someone got to sit at the big table and had to justify their position with a new whiz bang project. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Why not just a light controlled by a switch?  Off when you don't want it.  On when you do.  

This whole motion sensor light changeover appears as if someone got to sit at the big table and had to justify their position with a new whiz bang project. 

In my recent Majestic stateroom (deluxe balcony) there was the normal switch controlled ceiling light in the entry plus the super bright sensor controlled ceiling light outside the bathroom (i.e. in close proximity) 

Edited by boeckli

9 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

I suppose a switch would have been a better option but would have meant rewiring to add it.

The Ruby had nice auto lights built into the night stands as well, which didn't blind you when the cabin was in total darkness.

I guess you just can't have it all. 🤷 

Our light had a bad sensor and came on even when covered anytime day or night. We even covered it with a Kleenex box to lessen the brightness.. I mentioned it may be a " fire hazard" ( probably not ) and as soon as those words were spoken a worker was there within the hour to dismantle it. Hopefully a new sensor was all.it needed.

4 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I suppose a switch would have been a better option but would have meant rewiring to add it.

The Ruby had nice auto lights built into the night stands as well, which didn't blind you when the cabin was in total darkness.

I guess you just can't have it all. 🤷 

I booked a Have It All cruise on HAL, so maybe I can.😉

Seriously though, the lights were on a simple switch before some genius who never cruises came up with the idea that we all needed a motion sensor on the light.  

The first time I encountered the motion sensor light, I reached up, gave the fixture a twist so that the housing dropped down, and unplugged the sensor itself.  That disabled the light completely so I came up with the painters tape.

Edited by SargassoPirate

46 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

We always travel with black electrical tape!!!

Twice,  with all of the walking you do on a cruise ship, I disembarked with shoes. (thankfully black ones!) that were literally held together with that black tape!!!!

It really is one of those things..  don't leave home without it!

For show repairs I carry a tube of some really good all purpose cement/glue, sort of like Shoe Goo but not as thick.  On our most recent cruise one of my sneakers started to come apart.  Half of the sole was flapping.  Got back to the cabin and glued them back together, held them in place with some thick rubber bands that I always carry, and let them sit overnight.  Good as new the next day and I still wear them.

Reattached the soles on a pair of boat shoes several year ago and they're still holding.

"Be Prepared" 

Same.  I ended up disconnecting the entire unit and finally got some sleep.  Cabin attendant called repair to fix, but they never got around to it.  I cant believe this is an issue thats been happening for some time.  They obviously do not have any urgency in repairing anything on that ship.  Nearly every auto door was broken on some level.  There is so much wrong with this ship.  Never again on Princess!

24 minutes ago, SaltyDoggg said:

Same.  I ended up disconnecting the entire unit and finally got some sleep.  Cabin attendant called repair to fix, but they never got around to it.  I cant believe this is an issue thats been happening for some time.  They obviously do not have any urgency in repairing anything on that ship.  Nearly every auto door was broken on some level.  There is so much wrong with this ship.  Never again on Princess!

Not all Princess ships have problems like that.

26 minutes ago, SaltyDoggg said:

Same.  I ended up disconnecting the entire unit and finally got some sleep.  Cabin attendant called repair to fix, but they never got around to it.  I cant believe this is an issue that's been happening for some time.  They obviously do not have any urgency in repairing anything on that ship.  Nearly every auto door was broken on some level.  There is so much wrong with this ship.  Never again on Princess!

Did you forget to put this in the review/rant that you posted?

• Haha 2

On 12/31/2023 at 6:42 AM, SargassoPirate said:

Or have a switch to turn off the motion light if you don't want it.

On 1/2/2024 at 1:58 PM, JF - retired RRT said:

Did you forget to put this in the review/rant that you posted?

Actually if you read the review you’ll see that motion sensors and auto doors are on the list 😀

22 hours ago, BadgerBill57 said:

Or have a switch to turn off the motion light if you don't want it.

I'm still waiting for an auto switch to turn off the AC when the balcony door is left open.