Singing Waiters

Yes. On Anthem we had dancing and singing waiters on Italian,  Caribbean… and on another night. On Liberty during one night too.

For us who cruise now 5 a year with RCI it’s a new thing.

Sorry. On Liberty they were more dancing.

Liberty though has one of THE BEST entertainment. 

Ice show Encore was the best.

Circus de Soleil like show In the Air

Brodway show: Saturday night fever 

are just amazing!!!

56 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

What’s new?

Singing and dancing waiters. We haven’t seen them before. Only started for us this year.

The only other time we saw something similar was on Carnival in 2005.

Yes, I enjoy singing waiters - not the dreadful Happy Birthday renditions, but show tunes and operatic numbers.  I've also enjoyed (but not recently) when the RC Orchestra do the Strolling Strings reprise on formal nights.  One evening I had a very observant Asst Waiter, and after I had enjoyed a succession of violin and viola next to my table I was dismayed to find my prime rib had become cold cuts.  ---- only to be pleasantly surprised by that Asst Waiter arriving with a fresh plate.

3 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

Yes- it's fine when it's the last night...both times on Oasis, they only danced\sang on the last night. But I've seen reports of them doing it every night, or multiple nights on some ships, and that would drive me nuts. 

1 hour ago, adolfo2 said:

It's a new LOW if you ask me. The staff is stretched thin enough as it is... screw the dancing, where's my drink? 

28 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm not a fan of it either. 

Just another reason to skip the MDR; I am already driven nuts by the traditional conga line, applaud your wait staff, give us good marks on the survey, towel waving pep rally on the second to last or last night. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Just another reason to skip the MDR; I am already driven nuts by the traditional conga line, applaud your wait staff, give us good marks on the survey, towel waving pep rally on the second to last or last night. 

I agree with you and I always get the feeling most of the waiters would prefer to skip it.

Sherri🙂

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Tatka said:

Singing and dancing waiters. We haven’t seen them before. Only started for us this year.

The only other time we saw something similar was on Carnival in 2005.

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

We haven’t cruised this year so if this is something new I don’t think we would be a fan either.

when MTD was run efficiently on a dedicated floor with dedicated waiters we generally managed to miss most of the performances previously as we would  be between sittings.

I agree staff last year was stretched thin enough and had a long way to go to attain previous level of service. They have better things to concentrate on. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Lakelife2017 said:

Do the waiters/Waitress still sing?  If so, do they sing the last night of the cruise?

6 hours ago, adolfo2 said:

It's a new LOW if you ask me. The staff is stretched thin enough as it is... screw the dancing, where's my drink? 

5 hours ago, time4u2go said:

I am not a fan at all. Of all the things they haven't brought back since Covid, I'd trade any of them for this display. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, time4u2go said:

I'm with you 100%. I wonder what RCI's reasoning is for bringing this back. I can't believe enough people would have complained about it being gone. This would make an interesting poll. Maybe we'd find out we are the majority, not the minority.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

We haven’t cruised this year so if this is something new I don’t think we would be a fan either.

when MTD was run efficiently on a dedicated floor with dedicated waiters we generally managed to miss most of the performances previously as we would  be between sittings.

I agree staff last year was stretched thin enough and had a long way to go to attain previous level of service. They have better things to concentrate on. 

Before 2016 we only cruised 5 times… but even before pandemic we had 2-3-4 cruises with Royal per year. Allure, Anthem(most of all), Grandeur, Adventure, Freedom, Explorer. 

We do MTD always… On Anthem this year we did MTD, but earlier and provably were seated in traditional room. This could be a reason. Thank you.

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I'm with you 100%. I wonder what RCI's reasoning is for bringing this back. I can't believe enough people would have complained about it being gone. This would make an interesting poll. Maybe we'd find out we are the majority, not the minority.

Could be.

I know it looks like they enjoy it, but I think it's somewhat degrading for the waitstaff to do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mets123 said:

Keep in mind that their show is probably at the 90 minutes mark of the dinner service and most people have finished their dinner by then. It's nothing that I would purposely wait for.

That’s as maybe which is fine for TD.

However for those of us that prefer MTD it can come right in the middle of a course. As I said above, most of the time we avoid it but not always. Now that MTD is mixed in with TD using the same waitstaff it is more intrusive when it happens.

Easier to ignore it when you are in a section remote from “the action” but now you find your waiter and helpers - hovering, rushing or simply missing. Certainly not even approaching a fine dining experience. 

• Like 1