Incorrect info from Guest Services - rest stops 2hr bus tour Argentina

zitsky

I asked about bathroom stops and facilities on a 2 hr bus tour in Argentina.  Guest Services told me there would be no stop and no restroom on the bus.  But there were and it was fine.  So don’t trust everything that Guest Services tells you.

Edited by zitsky
  • Haha 1

• zitsky changed the title to Incorrect info from Guest Services - rest stops 2hr bus tour Argentina
15 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

I suppose it boiled down to the person that you speak to!

You don’t expect consistent information from staff?  What if you asked about boarding times and everyone gave a different answer?

I have found that it is best to ask the Shore Excursion staff questions re excursions.   On our last cruise the description listed the number or stairs one needed to be able to climb.   More than I could do at one time.  I asked about it at the Shore Excursion desk and the woman went into to the back and returned with a 2 +  page detailed description of the tour.

It listed every stop, amount of time there, travel distance between stops, the number or stairs at each stop, etc it turned out that description combined the number of stairs into one total.  

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, zitsky said:

You don’t expect consistent information from staff?  What if you asked about boarding times and everyone gave a different answer?

I would expect consistent information from the staff.  It would be a shame if people avoided the tour based on the incorrect information you got.   But I probably would have asked the question to the excursion desk staff rather than guest services.   I agree that information about bathroom facilities and rest room stops are very important to many passengers.

duplicate suggestion - jelayne posted while I was typing!

Edited by Joanne G.

3 minutes ago, Joanne G. said:

I would expect consistent information from the staff.  It would be a shame if people avoided the tour based on the incorrect information you got.   But I probably would have asked the question to the excursion desk staff rather than guest services.   I agree that information about bathroom facilities and rest room stops are very important to many passengers.

It was rather late when I called.  Shouldn’t guest services have referred me to the excursion desk?  I called GS because it was showing on the cabin phone.

13 minutes ago, zitsky said:

It was rather late when I called.  Shouldn’t guest services have referred me to the excursion desk?  I called GS because it was showing on the cabin phone.

Yes, definitely guest services should have referred you to the excursion desk or consulted an excursion staff member themselves if the excursion desk was closed.   There isn't any excuse for them to give out incorrect information.  I only meant that I would go first to the excursion staff as I would expect them to be more knowledgeable than guest services.   I like to think they occasionally take the tours in order to know exactly what they are like - but that may be a fantasy.  

Edited by Joanne G.

Believe you're expecting too much from the cruise line.  They should have details on the itinerary but not necessarily the individual buses.  X contracts with tour operators who might have dozens of buses.  Some, but not all may have bathrooms.  X can't know in advance which bus will be assigned to each excursion.  Intended bus might be out of service or one of different size might be switched based on number of people booking tour.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Believe you're expecting too much from the cruise line.  They should have details on the itinerary but not necessarily the individual buses.  X contracts with tour operators who might have dozens of buses.  Some, but not all may have bathrooms.  X can't know in advance which bus will be assigned to each excursion.  Intended bus might be out of service or one of different size might be switched based on number of people booking tour.

That's certainly true regarding the buses.  But whether or not there will be restroom stops is another issue.  Some people may get irritated by the stops, but others may be unable to take the tour without stops.   It would be helpful for all to know that detail of the itinerary, and someone onboard should have that information.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Joanne G. said:

That's certainly true regarding the buses.  But whether or not there will be restroom stops is another issue.  Some people may get irritated by the stops, but others may be unable to take the tour without stops.   It would be helpful for all to know that detail of the itinerary, and someone onboard should have that information.  

bathroom stops are necessary on group tours. If you don't want any bathroom stops you really have to book private. I certainly don't want to get stuck on a bus with someone who peed their pants because the driver refused to stop because it annoyed people 😉 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Hmm.  A cruise line sells an activity but shouldn’t have to provide any information about it.  That’s interesting.

Why don’t I just book private then?

Edited by zitsky

Many times there has been a change on equipment or even itinerary. The cruise line does what they can to provide correct information but they have NO CONTROL over changes made by the tour operator. 

If you feel more comfortable booking private excursions then that would be a good solution for you. My favourite private excursion story is the one where the operator ended the trip early - not at the destination - because traffic was bad and they were at the end of their working hours. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, zitsky said:

I asked about bathroom stops and facilities on a 2 hr bus tour in Argentina.  Guest Services told me there would be no stop and no restroom on the bus.  But there were and it was fine.  So don’t trust everything that Guest Services tells you.

Why would you think Guest Service would know anything about tours?  The shore excursion staff is who you should have talked to for information concerning a shore excursion.  

• Like 2

Our best excursions were X bookings in Europe where an excursion dept  or ship staff member comes along who speaks the local lang... This was in addition to the actual tour guide.  Very well planned and executed!

29 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I was a secretary.  I know how to transfer a phone call from person A to person B.  Maybe a billion dollar cruise ship doesn’t have that capability.  Duh.

I had to call Hilton recently about a reservation.

call 1. Used the number on the website and chose option for ‘existing reservations’. Lady told me to call back and choose any option except reservation 

call 2. Called same number back. ‘New reservations’ and ‘existing reservations’ were the only option. Pushed zero and got transferred to someone that said I needed to call back and choose ‘reservation’. when I told her I did that she told me that those calls get re-routed to a call service so to just keep trying it back until I get to the right dept

call 3. Finally got through to the hotel directly and got help.

so no, it’s more complicated in multi-billionaire dollar company 

Edited by sanger727
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, zitsky said:

You should have asked Shore Excursions.

As for the person you asked at Guest Services they may have been looking at Information that was not up to date as the tour operator could have decided to use a Larger newer Bus if more than the original bus load of guests were sold the tour?

She/He should have directed you to Shore Excursions desk.

On 12/27/2023 at 7:50 AM, zitsky said:

They are almost never accurate about excursions.