This Ain't No Disney Cruise, part 2 - My LIVE Trip Report From the Carnival Dream, January 13-27, 2024

Honolulu Blue

On 1/2/2024 at 6:44 AM, Honolulu Blue said:

@firefly333 and @ninjacat123, you're obviously free to post in this thread whenever you care to.  It's always good to have a different perspective on things.  And, of course, I'll try to follow whatever you have to say about this cruise, whether it's in this thread, your own thread(s), or wherever else.

Anyway, there are just 11 days to go now.  I kind of wish we were leaving this weekend instead of next - it looks like a nasty storm is headed our way next week. 😵

Where do you live in michigan?  I live in southeast michigan, no storms just some snow every day, only an inch or so. 

3 hours ago, purpleally said:

Where do you live in michigan?  I live in southeast michigan, no storms just some snow every day, only an inch or so. 

I live in the Lansing area and so far we've received the same. But we are expected to get some snow next week, though there is a chance that it could be all rain (more likely for your neck of the woods).

14 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I live in the Lansing area and so far we've received the same. But we are expected to get some snow next week, though there is a chance that it could be all rain (more likely for your neck of the woods).

Well if you see a single lady in the aft with a paperback say hello. I hate to sound cheap but I didnt pay for wifi so I wouldnt be posting during the cruise. 

I'll still be having a good time. Booked a couple of excursions, going to spend more time this time with the birds in the port in Columbia. I was just there 6 months ago and liked the port. Lol I got a emerald certificate to prove it. Hahahaha. Anyway, I didnt pay for wifi so will not be posting, but I'm onboard. 

Royal i counted how many more days i need to book to hit pinnacle. 14. If this was royal not carnival I'd hit pinnacle on royal and get free wifi. I really think carnival should give loyal some free wifi perk. It's the one for me i think matters most. Anyway ... i will be having a good time. I'm hoping i can still get lobster rolls in the back on vista there was a sea food place .. I'll be back there. Good luck. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Wish I could find that meme - could be an inch, could be a foot, who knows

i grew up in the Lansing area

rain or snow, you are outta here soon!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Well if you see a single lady in the aft with a paperback say hello. I hate to sound cheap but I didnt pay for wifi so I wouldnt be posting during the cruise. 

I'll still be having a good time. Booked a couple of excursions, going to spend more time this time with the birds in the port in Columbia. I was just there 6 months ago and liked the port. Lol I got a emerald certificate to prove it. Hahahaha. Anyway, I didnt pay for wifi so will not be posting, but I'm onboard. 

Royal i counted how many more days i need to book to hit pinnacle. 14. If this was royal not carnival I'd hit pinnacle on royal and get free wifi. I really think carnival should give loyal some free wifi perk. It's the one for me i think matters most. Anyway ... i will be having a good time. I'm hoping i can still get lobster rolls in the back on vista there was a sea food place .. I'll be back there. Good luck. 

Thanks for sharing. If you see a single guy staring intently at a cell phone or hanging around with a stuffed cat taking pictures, that's probably me. Go ahead and say hi. 🙂

Whatever makes you happy onboard and onshore I hope you do lots of it. 👍

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Ok you're off the hook until you get home, then no holds barred you must tell us all about it!! 😇

Always good to hear all the different versions! 😊

Hugs from Texas

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Thanks for sharing. If you see a single guy staring intently at a cell phone or hanging around with a stuffed cat taking pictures, that's probably me. Go ahead and say hi. 🙂

Whatever makes you happy onboard and onshore I hope you do lots of it. 👍

It would have been stupid for me not to pick a cruise when carnival had their birthday sale. I saw a really good price on jubilee but clicked on this one first. There was one of what I'd consider best of the 1A port holes left. One more deck 1 forward against the bulk head about so I clicked on hold on the one I got up on deck 2 lol. As far forward as you can about get. 2 port holes and almost 220 sf like the cabin next to it that costs more. 

I'd always wanted to do this one, so right at $100 a day here I am. Can't book for that ever again. So I'm keeping my extra money for seeing the 3 new ports. I'm all in lol. Good luck with your review. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/2/2024 at 6:44 AM, Honolulu Blue said:

@firefly333 and @ninjacat123, you're obviously free to post in this thread whenever you care to.  It's always good to have a different perspective on things.  And, of course, I'll try to follow whatever you have to say about this cruise, whether it's in this thread, your own thread(s), or wherever else.

Anyway, there are just 11 days to go now.  I kind of wish we were leaving this weekend instead of next - it looks like a nasty storm is headed our way next week. 😵

I've been watching the weather reports for Cocoa Beach and it looks a little iffy.  I'm hoping to get a little Rikki Tiki Tavern time, but we'll see.  I'm starting my LIVE next week so hopefully I'll see you there as well😸

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

I've been watching the weather reports for Cocoa Beach and it looks a little iffy.  I'm hoping to get a little Rikki Tiki Tavern time, but we'll see.  I'm starting my LIVE next week so hopefully I'll see you there as well😸

Good luck for you and your plans. 😍 I'm looking forward to seeing your LIVE. Different perspectives are always good. 😎

40 minutes ago, CoasterGuy said:

I love emma cruises! Look forward to reading about your cruise and seeing you and hudson on your adventure! 

I like Emma too. Hudson is especially looking forward to Panama. That darn cat is nothing but trouble. 😬😺

• Like 1

9 days to go. I received an email from Carnival reminding me that we need a passport with 6 or more months to expiration in order to embark on this cruise and if by chance we don't have one, we're asked to call right away. My passport is good and I'll be sure to bring it.  I'm not sure if it's Panama or Colombia that is causing this requirement, but it's one or the other - perhaps both. 

• Like 1

Weather here in Florida has been less than iffy.  Typically January is the worst weather month temp wise, but this one it has been the cloudiness.  All that said, you will be fine.

• Thanks 1

8 days to go. I got another email from Carnival about this cruise. It's about Platinum and Diamond member limitations. To wit:

• No priority embarkation or disembarkation
  • Cabins will be ready after 1:30 PM
  • MDR seating requests for dinner are not guaranteed for Diamond guests

The first two points I've seen on other Journeys cruises. I can't recall seeing the last one mentioned, though I could have missed it because I'm not Diamond yet. Are any of you Diamonds on this cruise affected by this? How angry does it make you? 😠

There are sure to be lots of P&D passengers on this cruise. I will try to find out how many. Sadly, I don't expect any help from John Heald this time. 😟

2 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

8 days to go. I got another email from Carnival about this cruise. It's about Platinum and Diamond member limitations. To wit:

• No priority embarkation or disembarkation
  • Cabins will be ready after 1:30 PM
  • MDR seating requests for dinner are not guaranteed for Diamond guests

The first two points I've seen on other Journeys cruises. I can't recall seeing the last one mentioned, though I could have missed it because I'm not Diamond yet. Are any of you Diamonds on this cruise affected by this? How angry does it make you? 😠

There are sure to be lots of P&D passengers on this cruise. I will try to find out how many. Sadly, I don't expect any help from John Heald this time. 😟

Yes I got my letter and saw I don't get a guaranteed dining time. What's left of the perks lol. Covid is over. I cant believe they expect me to do find my perks stuff still. Do I get a diamond pin? Who do I ask. I just roll my eyes when carnival pax say we dont need no perks, we get laundry. 

• Like 2

I sail on Magic on the 27th.  I got my first "get ready for your cruise" email a day or two ago, but it didn't not mention any limitations. (yet). I have never seen the MDR request thing on a letter,  but I always request my time dining when I book around a year out - have never had a problem getting it. Sounds like your cruise is at capacity, and they won't accommodate switches once on board.

• Like 1

A couple of minor issues that could turn into major problems for me:

• There looks to be a storm next week that could impact my flight to Houston. DTW is generally good at handling snow and ice on the ground, but you never know. I might have to change things around. Stay tuned.
  • I just found out the FAA has put a temporary halt to prevent all 737 MAX 9 aircraft from flying. Guess what plane type is scheduled to be used on my return flight from Houston? Yes it is. 😮 This could be cleared up in a few days, or it could take months for the FAA to be happy. This could cause problems for United, which could cause problems for me and this reservation down the road. Again, stay tuned.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Honolulu Blue said:

• There looks to be a storm next week that could impact my flight to Houston. DTW is generally good at handling snow and ice on the ground, but you never know. I might have to change things around. Stay tuned.
  • I just found out the FAA has put a temporary halt to prevent all 737 MAX 9 aircraft from flying. Guess what plane type is scheduled to be used on my return flight from Houston? Yes it is. 😮 This could be cleared up in a few days, or it could take months for the FAA to be happy. This could cause problems for United, which could cause problems for me and this reservation down the road. Again, stay tuned.

Looks as if United only has about 12 of those planes. It's estimated to take b/t 4-8 hours to inspect each one. You'll probably be okay. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I’m seeing the storm now on weather channel    What day are you flying?  I’m driving someone to Dtw Thursday morning. Hope it’s not a “no good deed goes unpunished “ situation 

Edited by purpleally
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, purpleally said:

I’m seeing the storm now on weather channel    What day are you flying?  I’m driving someone to Dtw Thursday morning. Hope it’s not a “no good deed goes unpunished “ situation 

I plan to fly in on Saturday. That could change if I need to and if I am allowed to. Thursday looks like the calm between the storms. I hope things go well for you and your passenger. 🙏

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I plan to fly in on Saturday. That could change if I need to and if I am allowed to. Thursday looks like the calm between the storms. I hope things go well for you and your passenger. 🙏

Thank you and really hope they go well for you!

• Thanks 1

5 days to go.  Weather remains a concern, though not in the ways I thought it might be.  Tuesday and Wednesday's snow looks to be minimal (1-2 inches) and will mostly melt due to high temperatures and rain.  Now it's Friday and Saturday that's the big worry - we could get 6+ inches here by Saturday morning.  We'll see if it's bad enough for United to offer a waiver.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Honolulu Blue said:

5 days to go.  Weather remains a concern, though not in the ways I thought it might be.  Tuesday and Wednesday's snow looks to be minimal (1-2 inches) and will mostly melt due to high temperatures and rain.  Now it's Friday and Saturday that's the big worry - we could get 6+ inches here by Saturday morning.  We'll see if it's bad enough for United to offer a waiver.

Wishing you the best of luck.  Almost nothing worse than having to worry about the weather and how it may effect flights.

• Thanks 1

I have to revise my earlier post about how many affected airplanes United has - it's 79 - not 12. I think I was quoting just a subset of the specific type - not the overall number. I'm sorry.