New Princess App available

iamaqt2

Has anyone else had Hack attempts to their email while on Medallion net Wifi onboard?

Long story short I got a "You got hacked" email sent to my Junk mail yesterday.

Come to find out, there were 3 attempts from 3 different countries on our first Seaday

out of San Franciso a few weeks ago.

I only had single Authorization on that email acct., but Dual on my other.

So today, I was able to Change both my email Passwords & have Dual auth on Both accts now.

On future cruises when I see that Medallion wifi onboard "Unsecured"?  🤔

(sorry if I posted in wrong catergory)

Edited by CalLuvsCrusingToo

2 hours ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

Has anyone else had Hack attempts to their email while on Medallion net Wifi onboard?

Come to find out, there were 3 attempts from 3 different countries on our first Seaday

So today, I was able to Change both my email Passwords & have Dual auth on Both accts now.

Interesting you mention this. I had several accounts compromised toward the end of my last princess cruise. Being on strange WiFi networks (onboard or off the ship) is really the only thing I can point to as a possible cause. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrrom92 said:

Interesting you mention this. I had several accounts compromised toward the end of my last princess cruise. Being on strange WiFi networks (onboard or off the ship) is really the only thing I can point to as a possible cause. 

It can't hurt to use a VPN...

5 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Were these attempts during the actual sailing dates and do you have a time stamp?

There were huge data breaches just announced recently which one of them affected almost every American. 

The attempts started, iirc, on the 2nd to last night of the cruise. The only one I can specifically timestamp is an attempt made on my Apple ID on April 20th at 2:50PM, which would have been shortly after we disembarked. Only because I decided to screenshot that one. But I got many other attempts on Apple prior to that, many others after that as well on the same day, and many other accounts besides my Apple ID were hit too (Instagram, Steam, etc.) 

the ones with 2FA, like Apple, were safe. Most services that were compromised just prompted me to change my password via email. Data breaches and password dumps are all too common unfortunately but the timing of it coinciding with the cruise was just a little suspect to me for me to rule out that something else was at play. 

if someone figured out how to access accounts on the shipwide network there would be many targets with each new sailing. But I am not a black hat hacker so I don’t know what’s within the realm of possibility. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, phabric said:

I was told by one of Internet Cafe Manager on one the ships to take off VPN as it infers with Princess WiFi.

Last year on Grand Princess in Australia/New Zealand I used a VPN many times with no issue at all.

20 hours ago, mrrom92 said:

I would like to think off-ship, but there are Eve's everywhere... note that fake cell towers could also slurp up your data traffic.

22 hours ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

yep - wrong category, but anyways, since it wasn't moved ... I second the person who said double-check the emails are legit.   I get dozens of these types of messages a day -- all fake.  And some cloud services who log this report similar attempts.  But that does NOT mean it's impossible.   eg. a rogue WiFi hotspot (whether in port or on the ship) could attempt to log all traffic -- this is where a VPN can help.   But nevertheless, glad to read it went OK.