Icon vs wonder

cusematt4

Hi all,

I am very familiar with icon and can’t wait to sail on her.  I know it’s the first newly designed ship since the Oasis class.

Someone asked what does and could the icon have that the wonder doesn’t.  Besidea the new design, jazz club, the pearl, dueling pianos, an indoor aqua theater instead of outdoor, and Surfside instead of boardwalk - are there other new venues and features that distinguish it from wonder?

Thanks.

11 hours ago, firefly333 said:

7 pools. I saw on the thread icon blocks are in the house the infinity pool was filled. First one ever built on a cruise ship. 

There are aft infinity edge pools on MSC "Sea" class ships already. I haven't paid attention to Icon photos to know how it compares, but, it's not a first unless you're talking about a first for Royal?

Edit to note that I found a video that mentions it's Icon that has the only "suspended" infinity pool, not just the only infinity pool.  So that's cool, I guess. I'm not one for using the pools very much.

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Wonder has those as well.  Not quite as bad but still crazy. 

Some Wonder prices aren't THAT bad, especially via group rates or when a deal pops up (GGG, random, etc.) Of course, it helps if you live an hour from PC. Are you trying to convince people to not sail Wonder? Should I cancel with my TA when he gets back from vacation? 🤣

Hope the drive went smoothly!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

Edit to note that I found a video that mentions it's Icon that has the only "suspended" infinity pool, not just the only infinity pool.  So that's cool, I guess. I'm not one for using the pools very much.

A brilliant concept - until the sea takes over control of the metal and the suspension fails. Worked for a company that built an Olympic sized pool on the 10th floor of its HQ so employees would have a place to swim in the winter months. A great concept until they actually filled it and it started to sag into the ceiling of offices on the floor below. It is now a basketball court with a big empty tub underneath.

Edited by orville99
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, orville99 said:

A brilliant concept - until the sea takes over control of the metal and the suspension fails. Worked for a company that built an Olympic sized pool on the 10th floor of its HQ so employees would have a place to swim in the winter months. A great concept until they actually filled it and it started to sag into the ceiling of offices on the floor below. It is now a basketball court with a big empty tub underneath.

I wonder where the water will slosh to in rough seas from this suspended pool?  Most pools just spillover onto surrounding decking. Or, will they empty it everything? I can see it might be more closed than open if that's the case. 🤔

My cabins have been creaky enough in rough seas.  I can't imagine the necessary build to maintain the weight of that filled pool, but, then again, many, many luxury resort properties have fabulous rooftop pools these days.

Related to your story, my HS has it's 1/2 Olympic sized pool on the 4th floor at the top of the building and it's now 47 years old. I guess there's a failure point somewhere between half Olympic and full! 🤯

• Like 1

14 hours ago, orville99 said:

Absolutely. I mean cruise ship pools are always so bigly and look like the great lakes with their size. They really should make them much smaller than your average hotel pool, I wonder if they do that at all? I get lost when i go swimming in those pools, so so so so big. I carry a megaphone so people can hear me on the recliners cuz i'm so far out in those olympic size pools. Definitely going to collapse like you said.

ROFL

Edited by Moltar

13 hours ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

I wonder where the water will slosh to in rough seas from this suspended pool?  Most pools just spillover onto surrounding decking. Or, will they empty it everything? I can see it might be more closed than open if that's the case. 🤔

My cabins have been creaky enough in rough seas.  I can't imagine the necessary build to maintain the weight of that filled pool, but, then again, many, many luxury resort properties have fabulous rooftop pools these days.

Related to your story, my HS has it's 1/2 Olympic sized pool on the 4th floor at the top of the building and it's now 47 years old. I guess there's a failure point somewhere between half Olympic and full! 🤯

The pools drain, they would drain it or not even fill it when encountering rough seas.

Edited by Moltar

On 12/28/2023 at 6:18 AM, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

There are aft infinity edge pools on MSC "Sea" class ships already. I haven't paid attention to Icon photos to know how it compares, but, it's not a first unless you're talking about a first for Royal?

It's the first suspended infinity pool at sea...

• Haha 1

On 12/27/2023 at 11:01 PM, cusematt4 said:

Hi all,

I am very familiar with icon and can’t wait to sail on her.  I know it’s the first newly designed ship since the Oasis class.

Someone asked what does and could the icon have that the wonder doesn’t.  Besidea the new design, jazz club, the pearl, dueling pianos, an indoor aqua theater instead of outdoor, and Surfside instead of boardwalk - are there other new venues and features that distinguish it from wonder?

Thanks.

Didn’t you just sail the on the Wonder? Since you are so familiar with the Icon, maybe you could tell us what features it has that distinguishes it from the Wonder.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2023 at 6:01 PM, cusematt4 said:

Hi all,

I haven’t cruised on Icon yet (first cruise on her is 2/3/24), so unlike you I am not familiar enough with Icon to pass judgement on this ship. Also, Oasis is not RCi’s newest designed class (that would be Quantum).