Love Royal but DIRE UPSETTING crew conditions - worse than others

cusematt4

34 minutes ago, Morecruisesplz said:

Deaf ears or accept? Can you do both?

But you and OP are like minded, although you have suggested tipping these poor people more in exchange for some recognition as you pass by Starbucks and/or the Windjammer. At least you are willing to pay for a smile. Not sure who the OP wants to pay for their wifi or uniforms. Obviously not Royal because she praises them!

Didn’t think it was that absurd to suggest rc, the company that makes over 1 billion a year in NET profit, to carve out less than .01% of its net profit to give the few the ability to call/video call their family.  Without the crew and their sacrifices, and without rcl paying them the $50-$100 a month they pay them (plus our gratuities), rcl wouldn’t be making the billion dollars a year in net revenue they do.  It isn’t as if rcl doesn’t have e technology and capabilities on their ships and needs to make a significant investment.

I truly am appalled at the backlash of stating how much the crew sacrifice for so little and being upset rcl can’t do more for them to keep in touch with their families.

• Haha 1

Wow I never knew that when I was in my 20s I was living in dire and upsetting conditions.  I was single, living in another state then my parents, couldn't afford a phone and went to the local pay phone once a week to call home.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, cusematt4 said:

I truly am appalled at the backlash of stating how much the crew sacrifice for so little and being upset rcl can’t do more for them to keep in touch with their families.

No, the biggest backash is you calling the lack of free (and I assume you want unlimited as well) internet as a "dire" condition for the crew.  How about we leave the melodrama at home.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, cusematt4 said:

Didn’t think it was that absurd to suggest rc, the company that makes over 1 billion a year in NET profit, to carve out less than .01% of its net profit to give the few the ability to call/video call their family.  Without the crew and their sacrifices, and without rcl paying them the $50-$100 a month they pay them (plus our gratuities), rcl wouldn’t be making the billion dollars a year in net revenue they do.  It isn’t as if rcl doesn’t have e technology and capabilities on their ships and needs to make a significant investment.

I’m sure you meant “net revenue” not “net profit”

13 minutes ago, cusematt4 said:

and without rcl paying them the $50-$100 a month they pay them (plus our gratuities)

Do you truly believe that if the cruise lines did away with the DSC, that the fares would not increase to cover it?  There are two reasons the cruise lines use the DSC model, and the first is that they can advertise the lowest possible base fare.  The second is to create a "carrot and stick" management style, where the crew must use peer pressure to have everyone on the team perform to their best in order to keep the DSC at the maximum, or all their wages will suffer.  By making it a DSC, they place the blame for losses in crew income on the passengers, and not themselves.  The total compensation, base wage and DSC is what keeps the crew coming back, and if the DSC just went away, you wouldn't have any crew returning.

18 minutes ago, cusematt4 said:

rcl wouldn’t be making the billion dollars a year in net revenue they do.

And, let's see:

2020:  RCI net income $-5.797 billion

2021:  RCI net income $-5.26 billion

2022:  RCI net income $-2.516 billion

So, even if RCI continues to make money at this year's rate, they will need 13 years to make up for those three years of loss.  And, if they don't make up those losses, they won't be in business, or able to provide the crew with a job, let alone internet access.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, cusematt4 said:

My reply was not in response to you, but since you brought it up, the OP thinks Royal is a wonderful company as is. She isn't asking them to share any profits with the crew.

Plus you need to check your facts! No one is being paid $50 to $100 per month. Ubsurd!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Annie01 said:

If employees want/need to communicate with those back home - they have the option of sending letters via snail mail too.  Don’t need internet for that.  

Obviously you have never dealt with the Philippines postal service.

• Haha 5

Easy solution that a person can do- 1) be nice to the people you interact with.  That way they are not stressed.  Even when you have an issue, be nice.  2) if you feel they need more money- tip them more money. We'd all pay for it anyway.  3) keep their jobs quick- so that they can maximize their time off, and if they can get off in a port, can find free wi-fi (which is in most ports).  

If you don't like how RCI is treating their employees, I really don't see how continuing business with them is a good idea.

2 minutes ago, desibee said:

No one ever said it was.  All I said was that the attitude of “it’s not polite to discuss wages” is the reason America is so lacking in workers rights.  And it is.  Calm down.

No, you said it wasn't polite for an employer to discuss wages with an outsider.  I don't think that falls under "polite", but under "none of your business" unless you are looking for a job with that employer.  And, I have been a union member, working on ships, for over 30 years, in the US.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, alfaeric said:

Even so, are they being PREVENTED in communicating with their families?  Or do they have to pay a bill to the telecommunications system they chose to use, just like everyone here on this board?  I don't know about you, but I have to pay for my phone, internet, and cable.  Communication with my family isn't free, either.

Lol.  Us privileged people have the ability to walk down the street for free internet at a coffee shop.  They don’t have the ability to walk down the block for free internet to make a call.  We can pay for our own bills sure, they may not be so fortunate to the their $50-$100 a month cruise line “salaries” who are hanging them $3.99 an hour ability to communicate with folks back home.

My gosh.  My boycotting the cruise industry will not change the world.  Us cruisers being compassionate and empathetic and maybe even collectively petitioning or raising our concerns to cruise line executives may.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, cusematt4 said:

We can pay for our own bills sure, they may not be so fortunate to the their $50-$100 a month cruise line “salaries” who are hanging them $3.99 an hour ability to communicate with folks back home.

You keep making a point of this $50-100/month salary.  How often do you think that is what the crew member actually makes?  That would require everyone to remove all their DSC.  The ship's management starts to get worried when 5-10% of DSC is removed, and look for ways to correct it. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cusematt4 said:

Lol.  Us privileged people have the ability to walk down the street for free internet at a coffee shop.  They don’t have the ability to walk down the block for free internet to make a call.  We can pay for our own bills sure, they may not be so fortunate to the their $50-$100 a month cruise line “salaries” who are hanging them $3.99 an hour ability to communicate with folks back home.

My gosh.  My boycotting the cruise industry will not change the world.  Us cruisers being compassionate and empathetic and maybe even collectively petitioning or raising our concerns to cruise line executives may.

This is the 1st time you have mentioned boycotting the cruise industry. Now we're getting somewhere! You have finally stated your true intentions, after getting everyone so excited. But do you remember saying this? "I absolutely love Royal Caribbean.  It is my favorite cruise line and company.  We are Diamond Plus members.  We’ve made incredible memories and have had the best of vacations with Royal Caribbean." (Never mentioned you planned to boycott.)

15 minutes ago, cusematt4 said:

$3.99 an hour ability to communicate with folks back home.

So, we've got one RCI crew member who says there is no Whatsapp, and no free internet, and then up thread we have another RCI crew member quoted as saying they have unlimited Whatsapp and an hour a day free internet.  So, who ya gonna believe?

2 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

So, we've got one RCI crew member who says there is no Whatsapp, and no free internet, and then up thread we have another RCI crew member quoted as saying they have unlimited Whatsapp and an hour a day free internet.  So, who ya gonna believe?

Well, I don't think the one on here is trying to sell a sob story to get more tips, so... I'm going with that one.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

The bleeding hearts will believe those who are crying to them in an attempt to extract some $s. They see these folks who want to chat about how miserable the crews existence must be as a wallet. I'm all for the OP handing out money. I just don't think she should involve us. (Or praise Royal on the other hand.)

• Like 1