LIVE from Viking Star-- Hawaiian Islands Sojourn -- 28 Dec. 2023 --13 January 2024

FetaCheese

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from FetaCheese! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic. See your post featured on our: Click: Live Cruise Reports page.. . When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review!"

FetaCheese was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Starting this a few days in, since I didn't know if I'd have time, since we're traveling with good friends.

• Like 5

Had V "free air" from PHL to LAX.  Initially was assigned a nonstop to LAX, but was changed to a connection through MSP.  Flights were on time, and luggage arrived intact at LAX.  Noon arrival.  V rep was at bag claim, with our names on coach transfer manifest.  About a 45 min ride to Berth 93.  Check in was efficient and we were on the ship at about 1:30.

The Star, although built in 2015, is well maintained and just as beautiful as our 2 prior cruises, Venus and Sea. Our DV2 cabin is comfortable, clean and well maintained.  No drawers on closet, but we managed to find enough storage for our stuff.  Only complaint of our friends.

We departed pier Thursday evening, and captain Magnus later announced that seas would be rough for 1st few days, and he was correct.  Not rolling out of bed, or anything too troubling, but need to walk carefully and use handrails.

The Captain's welcome and theatre entertainment, was postponed from last night to tonight, due to the rough seas.  Bags are out, but have not noticed any pax quesy or ill.

Cuisine, while oh so subjective, IMO,  has been of excellent quality.  WC  and restaurant has ample choices.  Wait staff very attentive and friendly everywhere. 

Have SSBP, and while glass wines have been cut back, we all enjoyed some excellent appellations.

Last night we dined in Manfredis.  Menu has been revised.  I had the calamari app which included squid and shrimp,  all superior quality than expected.  The former Bistecca Fiorentina has been renamed as Viking Bistecca.  Ordered it, and was cooked medium to my preference, and an excellent quality ribeye cut, very tender, and flavorful.

Mrs. FetaCheese has a food allergy, and Viking takes this very seriously, as dinner menu is delivered to cabin each night, for next night's dinner selection.  In addition, wait staff is aware at table, and asks if any questions.

CD is Cornelia, very friendly and personable.  1st day, I signed us up for wine/spirits tastings at GS, rep was friendly and courteous.  Only 1 is an additional charge, because we have bev pkg.  Also signed up for tours: galley/laundry, bridge, and possible Engine Control room, time TBD.

Hoping for calmer seas, as we're still pitching and rolling (but not at same time) on Saturday morning.IMG_20231229_215228513.thumb.jpg.d79cc813b71a009050f87cf9033b5fe8.jpgIMG_20231230_092028187.thumb.jpg.321dd20643b9cc345ac9ae8612b62785.jpgIMG_20231230_092113594.thumb.jpg.d4f0f599eaacb6547ceb02b2ba66791e.jpgIMG_20231230_104219120.thumb.jpg.ffe0060bd9d0979e17ebdce56d952e63.jpgIMG_20231230_104242551.thumb.jpg.09c4d2056fe2dc76ab7afdbc762e79bc.jpg  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

A few comments to add. As always, the staff are superb. So attentive and friendly. Our cabin steward is delightful. Sleeping has been somewhat challenging. While I enjoy rocking to sleep, the motion has been more jolting as if somebody picked up the bed and dropped it. So far have played baggo, music trivia and two dance classes. Lectures are quite good. Food, yes I know, very subjective, has been hit or miss and not quite as good as our previous cruises. Here are a few of my personal misses: while the scones served at tea in the winter garden are delicious, I found the finger sandwiches to be very lacking in flavor. I love corned beef hash for breakfast, but this version looks oddly like powdered meat. Anyway, we have many meals to go so I’m not judging based on a few things. Tonight we have chefs table. 
Something I wasn’t expecting is the choice of TV channels. GS told me that due to the itinerary, they are only offering four channels: Smithsonian channel, Arts and Culture,Movies now and then and Movies now. So for you news junkies, no news channels. 

Edited by tsakishuman

57 minutes ago, tsakishuman said:

Something I wasn’t expecting is the choice of TV channels. GS told me that due to the itinerary, they are only offering four channels: Smithsonian channel, Arts and Culture, Movies now and then and Movies now. So for you news junkies, no news channels. 

The previous Dec. 12 sailing was missing the live TV channels as well - also explained as due to "location" issues. Strangely enough, the news channels reappeared to 2 days just short of Hawaii.

My cynical view is that it had nothing to do with location and everything to do with cost of provision or contractual issues between Viking, Starlink and/or the various providers.

No big deal - lots of ways to get news, especially when the internet is very good without having to share bandwidth with the TV streams. I saw a 25% decrease in speed for the 2 days the live TV was available. Enjoy your trip! 🍺🥌

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for doing this.  We sail the February sailing, our first with Viking.  Appreciate the “real” feedback.  

Can I ask you to comment on the temperature in the pool area during the cool days sailing out?  I know the roof will be closed, but how well controlled is the temperature?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, jondfk said:

Thanks for doing this.  We sail the February sailing, our first with Viking.  Appreciate the “real” feedback.  

Can I ask you to comment on the temperature in the pool area during the cool days sailing out?  I know the roof will be closed, but how well controlled is the temperature?

Pool area has been a little cool, not cold.  Roof is closed.  Pool has been closed due to rough seas.

Will comment more later on about temp control.

Cabin thermostat working very well.

Edited by FetaCheese
Addl info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@FetaCheese As always well done review. Fair and balanced.  Thank you.  Viking is a brand I have always considered.  You are a CruiseCritic.com member that is always so generous with your time and feedback. Thank you again and please enjoy your cruise. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

IMG_20231231_084643200.thumb.jpg.3d1ad9307297b3cf2b68d463330a001d.jpgM&M last night was held in the Wintergarden.  V sent many officers, including GM Marcel and his wife CD Cornelia, Asst GM, Rest mgr, bev mgr, and many others.  CD , GM and Asst GM came to our table and greeted us and stayed to talk with us.  

Cocktails and hordourves were butlered.  @Tennisgal52 invited all to introduce themselves.  Unfortunately, we had dinner plans, and did not stay the entire time, to meet everyone.  A very nice affair.

After Dinner, the Captain's welcome toast was held in the Theatre.  You all know the format, and all introductions took place.

Following, was our 1st production show, Duets, with the Star Band, and 4 very talented English singers and dancers.  2 men and 2 women.  Featured were popular song duets.  A high energy and quite enjoyable show.  As usual, the performers were at the exits to greet guests.

Tonight is NYE !  V has planned a special dinner and 2 after dinner parties, 1 musical performance in the Atrium, and another dance party and countdown under the stars.

Last night we dined in the Restaurant, and again we all enjoyed the high quality meal, wines and attentive service.  We all have SSBP, and wines were freely poured and refilled without asking.  The wait staff and wine stewards are all friendly, conversant and eager to cater to our needs.

Edited by FetaCheese
Photos
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, millybess said:

@FetaCheese  Happy New Year!  Thank you for posting the daily. I noticed a “Mystery Photo Scavenger Hunt”, which we would love, but have never seen it offered on any of our previous cruises. Maybe it’s new and something we can look forward to on our future cruises. 

Enjoy!

Thanks @millybess, on our Oceania Alaska cruise this past September, the had the photo scavenger hunt.  Lots of fun.  Had not seen it on Viking until this cruise.

Edited by FetaCheese
  • Like 1

New Year's Eve Celebration begins!

Complimentary caviar and chilled vodka in Atrium and Explorer's Lounge 4:15 to 6 pm.

Fancy dinner planned for tonight in Restaurant and WC.  Lobster, Prime Rib, Dover Sole among entrees.IMG_20231231_174141465.thumb.jpg.ed60631179812e55045f49ec0ac53c38.jpg

• Like 2

What an elegant evening on board to  celebrate NYE. ! 

I am trying to  get my friend  to book this cruise . I can't do a solo sailing  for Dec 30 ,2024 .

This  picture might help. 🥂 

• Thanks 1

Happy New Year!

A wonderful dinner in The Restaurant last night.  Mrs. FetaCheese had duck breast... outstanding, and mushroom risotto.  I had Dover Sole...also finely prepared and delicious, filleted tableside.  We all ordered too many apps, some had 2 entrees.  Mrs. friend had lobster tail, and another, can't remember, but she enjoyed it.  We all enjoyed a fine leisurely dinner, with fine wines, of course.  Service continues to be attentive and gracious.  Wines flowing without asking.  Am trying many different reds... countries/varieties, as there are many from which to choose from glass menu.  Will post post wine list later.

After dinner, we all went up to pool/Wintergarden, where band was playing (loud).  Atrium would have suited us better, as other entertainers were performing.  Also forgot to take photo of prepared balloon drop.  In any case none of us made it to midnight  (even though clocks back 1 hour last night!

A very enjoyable evening with all that V had planned.

Today there is a special New Year's Brunch, in WC, pool and Wintergarden.  (no MDR lunch). Exec chef had said there will be some live stations there.  Will post some photos later.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I  always  order  the Dole sole when on the menu  on all my Viking cruises. It is always perfectly cooked and love the presentation of filleting it table side! What a great NYE  feast you had. 

Thank you so much for your posts. as you travel to Hawaii . 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

New Year's Day Brunch.  A terrific assortment and displays.  Real French Roquefort at cheese station.  Very fine!

Live pasta station was excellent.  All homemade pastas.

Each of our choices was of fine quality and preparation.

Edited by FetaCheese
  • Like 2