LIVE from Viking Star-- Hawaiian Islands Sojourn -- 28 Dec. 2023 --13 January 2024

FetaCheese

1 hour ago, Schnauzergirl9 said:

Enjoying your posts!   Is there a wine list for the SSBP?   I saw the wine menu but sure that is all extra cost.   Are you able to have champagne and is there availability on the SSBP?   Thank you!

Only 1 Wine list. All wine selections offered by the glass, $18 or less, are covered under the beverage package.  Only 1 sparkling wine by the glass on pkg:  Spanish Cava.

There was a French Champagne by the glass on prior list -- see photos of original list in prior post -- but on current list that French Champagne was removed.  Sommelier Harris told me they still have some stock available, so just ask.  Brand is Sant Gall --or something like that.  A nice dry Champagne.  Have not ordered Spanish Cava.

Any by the glass wine listed at $18 or less is on pkg.  All by the bottle wines are not on pkg, but you may purchase them, and, if $50 or more, a 20% discount applied if SSBP is purchased.  IMO prices are reasonable.

If SSBP not purchased, many by the glass wines are $8, including grat.

Edited by FetaCheese
Clarity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Schnauzergirl9 said:

FetaCheese - now I understand!   Thank you!   It’s my first Ocean Cruise with Viking.   Boarding February 14, 2024.  I like good wines!

We are on that cruise, too.  The wines aren’t great, even with SSBP, but they do try hard, and will fetch a bottle not on the list and reserve it for you if they don’t have enough stock to list it.  It pays to get to know the beverage manager.  

• Like 1

There are many, many still wines by the glass.  Most $8.  They will always have one sparkling wine by the glass.  Some I have had were French Champagne, some Prosecco, some Spanish Cava.  Very different.  But they will bend over backwards, in our experience, to make you happy!

• Like 3

Last night on Star.  It's been a wonderful experience.  Met many interesting pax from all over. Lecturers were of a high quality.  Cuisine, while subjective, IMO, overall has been excellent, with just a few misses.  Was very satisfied with spirits/wine selections.  Entertainment was enjoyable.  (No Abba or Beatles).

Ship is in excellent condition.  Captain Magnus said Star will enter drydock in November for 3 weeks

Safe travels to all.

Edited by FetaCheese
  • Like 9

3 hours ago, Azulann said:

Thank you for your trip report. I have enjoyed it so much. I would love too do this itinerary in the future. Meanwhile , I have two others VO cruises booked. 

@Azulann

Thank you for your kind comments.  Appreciate you following my report.

Best wishes for your upcoming V voyages.

• Like 1

Morning of disembarkation.  Regular Room service menu available.  Main Restaurant closed.  WC open until 8:30.

Our flight from LAX was scheduled at 3:20.  Now delayed until 4 pm.  Will depart ship at 10 am., with V transfer.

Edited by FetaCheese

1 minute ago, FetaCheese said:

Will depart ship at 10 am., with V transfer.

Did you obtain the transfer because you had Viking air, or did you purchase it on the ship?  I ask because we did our own air, but I am hoping to purchase an airport transfer with Viking while onboard.  Our flight leaves at 2:20, so glad to hear you can stay on the ship until 10.  I am surprised the restaurant was closed.  Our disembarkation day next month falls on my birthday, and I was hoping for a decadent breakfast in the restaurant.  

2 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Morning of disembarkation.  Regular Room service menu available.  Main Restaurant closed.  WC open until 8:30.

Our flight from LAX was scheduled at 3:20.  Now delayed until 4 pm.  Will depart ship at 10 am., with V transfer.

Weather in the rest of the country is horrible. Lots of cancellations today. Clear and sunny in So Cal today. Go outside and enjoy it while you can.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SantaFe1 said:

Did you obtain the transfer because you had Viking air, or did you purchase it on the ship?  I ask because we did our own air, but I am hoping to purchase an airport transfer with Viking while onboard.  Our flight leaves at 2:20, so glad to hear you can stay on the ship until 10.  I am surprised the restaurant was closed.  Our disembarkation day next month falls on my birthday, and I was hoping for a decadent breakfast in the restaurant.  

Yes, had V "free air".  Did not enquire price to purchase V airport transfer.

Our incoming flight is from Dallas.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Unless it’s part of a B2B itinerary, the restaurant is usually closed on disembarkation mornings.

I would have to disagree.  On our two cruises in 2023, for example, neither B2B, we ate breakfast in the restaurant.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

I would have to disagree.  On our two cruises in 2023, for example, neither B2B, we ate breakfast in the restaurant.

Oops 😬 

I just looked at our last VO cruise and it was available. I must have conflated Expeditions, which is never open for breakfast on any day.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Oops 😬 

I just looked at our last VO cruise and it was available. I must have conflated Expeditions, which is never open for breakfast on any day.

Whew!  Back to planned decadent birthday breakfast!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

Yes - same for us 2022 & 2023 - they opened an hour earlier at 7 a.m.

Departed Star about 10:30. Cleared CBP, several agents, no waiting, then claimed bags.  V coach transfer to LAX --was directed to coach, bags were loaded onto coach.  Process efficient, considering being herded onto coach.

Very little traffic from Berth 93 to LAX.  Coach stopped at terminal 2 and Tom Bradley, then term 4 where we got off for AA flight.

Curbside check in is $4 per bag -- something new? 

Anyway, made our way inside to priority ticket counter, and checked in with bags.  No $4 fee.  Now waiting in Admirals Club.  Nice lounge, but very basic food offerings.  Not complaining, but AA announced last summer that they were upgrading food offerings.  Anyway, bar looks inviting!  Lounge is comfortable.  Our gate is real close.

Our friends with whom we were traveling, are on a 6 pm flight.  V provided a transfer to LAX airport Marriot, with lunch, then will be transferred to LAX terminal.  A very nice accommodation.  Early on, GS had told friend that air departures 4 pm and later would have a hotel at which to wait.

Edited by FetaCheese
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

I was on the Star in November. I booked my own air but my travel agent included the transfer purchase with my booking. I was booked on a red-eye leaving at 10pm. They put me on a bus at 9:30. All good, my friend picked me up at the airport and I spent the day with him.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

I have been told you need to purchase the airport transfer 1 month prior to boarding so I suggest not waiting. $49/pp. perhaps Lyft or Uber?

• Thanks 1