LIVE from Viking Star-- Hawaiian Islands Sojourn -- 28 Dec. 2023 --13 January 2024

FetaCheese

On 12/30/2023 at 1:48 PM, jondfk said:

Thanks for doing this.  We sail the February sailing, our first with Viking.  Appreciate the “real” feedback.  

Can I ask you to comment on the temperature in the pool area during the cool days sailing out?  I know the roof will be closed, but how well controlled is the temperature?

Temp in pool was always pleasant.  Today 1st day roof open partially, with nice fresh air circulating.

👋Hello Feta Cheese!

Yay!! I'm so glad you are posting from your cruise...  Wishing you calm seas and lots of smiles!

I will be in the virtual cabin next door sailing vicariously through you.😊

Wishing you calm seas and lots of smiles!!

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Sleep7 said:

👋Hello Feta Cheese!

Yay!! I'm so glad you are posting from your cruise...  Wishing you calm seas and lots of smiles!

I will be in the virtual cabin next door sailing vicariously through you.😊

Wishing you calm seas and lots of smiles!!

Hello my CC friend @Sleep7

Thanks for your kind comment and well wishes.  Seas have finally calmed. 

Thanks to all who are following.

Edited by FetaCheese

1 hour ago, FetaCheese said:

Temp in pool was always pleasant.  Today 1st day roof open partially, with nice fresh air circulating.

Are people wearing shorts on the ship, or is it too cool?  I’m starting my packing list.

31 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

You are making me/us so look forward to this cruise in a few weeks.  We won’t have new years, but we embark on Valentines Day.  We have Chef’s table that night!

@SantaFe1

Thanks for your kind comment.

The ship is in excellent condition, and seems to be fully supplied with all provisions.

Attended Captain's, GM and Chief Engineer Q&A today.  Very informative and good questions asked.

Was confirmed that V kept all staff on payroll thru shutdown.  So most likely many had returned, and have noticed all staff onboard are well trained and knowledgeable. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Are people wearing shorts on the ship, or is it too cool?  I’m starting my packing list.

I am.  1st few days were a bit cool.  Have noticed many men wearing shorts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

By law, only those cheeses aged in the natural Combalou caves of Roquefort-sur-Soulzonmay bear the name Roquefort.

Thanks, No label, but tasted real to me, with proper creaminess, sharpness and blue streaks

11 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

I am.  1st few days were a bit cool.  Have noticed many men wearing shorts.

I wish I could get my husband to start thinking about this, because we are shipping our luggage to the ship via Luggage Forward, and they will pick up the end of January.  But he seems to think he can get shorts on sale this time of year.  Little does he know that what’s on sale now are parkas!  Shorts are full price!! But we can use parkas for our British Isles cruise in May.  Thanks so much for your posts.  I am really enjoying them!

• Like 1

Manfredis tonight.  Some wonderful choices.  Viking Bistecca, Calamari app., sorry can't find Calamari  photo, but included squid and shrimp, all Grilled/lightly deep-fried.  Seafood selection.  New desert menu.IMG_20240101_203208899.thumb.jpg.2bb68099716fce487d4913b007b4b27f.jpgIMG_20240101_203228519.thumb.jpg.32217cb2839c4127488594b9995007da.jpgIMG_20240101_210706372.thumb.jpg.751578da1035d18c35f320b20b96fcf1.jpg

Posted (edited)

Castanea Chestnut desert was so nice and flavorful, a shortbread shell, with Chestnut cream ball on top, covered in n a light chocolate sauce.  So delicious, I forgot  to get a photo, will try next time next time.

Edited by FetaCheese

On 12/30/2023 at 12:12 PM, CurlerRob said:

The previous Dec. 12 sailing was missing the live TV channels as well - also explained as due to "location" issues. Strangely enough, the news channels reappeared to 2 days just short of Hawaii.

My cynical view is that it had nothing to do with location and everything to do with cost of provision or contractual issues between Viking, Starlink and/or the various providers.

No big deal - lots of ways to get news, especially when the internet is very good without having to share bandwidth with the TV streams. I saw a 25% decrease in speed for the 2 days the live TV was available. Enjoy your trip! 🍺🥌

As you said, the channels reappeared today two days out of Kauai 

7 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

Manfredis tonight.  Some wonderful choices.  Viking Bistecca, Calamari app., sorry can't find Calamari  photo, but included squid and shrimp, all Grilled/lightly deep-fried.  Seafood selection.  New desert menu.IMG_20240101_203208899.thumb.jpg.2bb68099716fce487d4913b007b4b27f.jpgIMG_20240101_203228519.thumb.jpg.32217cb2839c4127488594b9995007da.jpgIMG_20240101_210706372.thumb.jpg.751578da1035d18c35f320b20b96fcf1.jpg

I’ll have the torta caprese with a shot of amaretto over the top—thank you very much! 🥰

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BlueOcean1207 said:

Anyone hear the overhead announcement last night 11pm? I called guest services and they said crew was taking care of it. Very odd to blast something to the whole ship so late at night. 

Yes, I think Code Alpha is a medical emergency in cabin #.

WINE LIST

When I asked LR Barman for wine list, and if ok to photo, he said list would be revised, but didn't know when.

Really enjoyed the only real French Champagne on glass list, Santa Gall I think, at $18, on SSBP.

Last night at dinner, while looking at list, noticed it was removed totally.  No Champagne by glass on new list.  Disappointed, so asked about this.  

They sent a bar mgr over, who told me stocks are running low, (the old supply issues thing), but I can still ask for it.  Have not had time to compare list I posted with new list.

Had I not had that wonderful Champagne a couple times, I would not now know to ask for it.

25 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

WINE LIST

When I asked LR Barman for wine list, and if ok to photo, he said list would be revised, but didn't know when.

Really enjoyed the only real French Champagne on glass list, Santa Gall I think, at $18, on SSBP.

Last night at dinner, while looking at list, noticed it was removed totally.  No Champagne by glass on new list.  Disappointed, so asked about this.  

They sent a bar mgr over, who told me stocks are running low, (the old supply issues thing), but I can still ask for it.  Have not had time to compare list I posted with new list.

Had I not had that wonderful Champagne a couple times, I would not now know to ask for it.

Always get to know the sommelier. They will fix you up.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Always get to know the sommelier. They will fix you up.

Thanks, great advice.  I think the guy they sent over was the head sommelier.  I will now ask him for suggestions and recommendations.

1 hour ago, Memere3 said:

Thanks for the photos! We sail on January 13. Are we allowed to bring any alcohol/wine on the ship in San Pedro?

You can always bring any alcohol onto a Viking ship. No corkage fees at restaurants or anywhere on the ship. Bliss! 🍷