LIVE from Viking Star-- Hawaiian Islands Sojourn -- 28 Dec. 2023 --13 January 2024

FetaCheese

8 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

Manfredis

New wheel of Parmigiano Reggiano... IMO of a finer quality than prior wheel.  More depth of flavor and sharper. IMG_20240103_212806182.thumb.jpg.7a9de793467d0b85f4a410ab5b8fd29a.jpg

Oh, man, that wheel of Parm is BEAUTIFUL!  Probably my favorite part of the bread basket in Manfredi's!

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Australia08 said:

No root touch-ups?  What does one do on a month long cruise?

Don’t worry,  we were on a 4 1/2  month WC.  They have everything. I brought my own product.  They were happy to use it. 

• Thanks 1

Dinner In The Restaurant tonight.  Our favorite waiter Reino (1 of them, they are all wonderful), brought us an appetizer cheese plate, without IMG_20240104_193843696.thumb.jpg.8dfcf9119ef1743d2cd8d1c588d1e5fc.jpgus asking.  Such personalized service!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

Don’t worry,  we were on a 4 1/2  month WC.  They have everything. I brought my own product.  They were happy to use it. 

Do they also have product too?  I wouldn’t want to add to my packing. 

1 hour ago, FetaCheese said:

IMG_20240105_200942976_HDR.thumb.jpg.675a6f39643da7ebf825c0490f80a05c.jpgTonight in WC was a Hawaiian themed culinary dinner.  Lots of Hawaiian items... entrees and desserts.

The Suckling Pig above.

Looks delicious 😋

• Like 1

I don’t know if you’ve gotten to Oahu yet, but I am wondering about the Tropical Rainforest Nature Hike optional excursion.  Has anyone done it or will do it?  It is marked demanding, but it seems pretty easy.  We are signed up for it, but I’m not planning on bringing big hiking boots.  TIA.

2 hours ago, jondfk said:

If you happen to see the German buffet a few photos would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Was also hoping for a Greek themed buffet.  On prior Greek Odyssey, it was terrific and very authentic.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Was also hoping for a Greek themed buffet.  On prior Greek Odyssey, it was terrific and very authentic.

That would also be great if you happen across such a thing!

6 minutes ago, millybess said:

@FetaCheese If it’s no trouble for you,  could you please post photos of the room service menu and the breakfast door knob menu.

No trouble at all. In cabin now. IMG_20240106_160559474.thumb.jpg.be918843e77be6767c4a436270710e5b.jpgIMG_20240106_160706285.thumb.jpg.49b68dc9174cd42be2c5a6f09d2eb220.jpgIMG_20240106_160413999_HDR.thumb.jpg.beef024a71e3bd487fe96e76b5ed7349.jpg Finally found out how to rotate photos.  Also posting room items price list.  I think I'll order 2 tissue boxes, a toothbrush holder, and a soap dish!!

Breakfast room service is always on time, and items of a high quality -- hot items hot, cold - cold.  Much better breakfast room service menu than my previous cruise -- dif line.

Have not ordered from 24 hour menu, this voyage.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Occasionally enjoy fine bourbons.  Was in Expl Lounge a few days ago, and at next table, overheard another pax order Maker's.  Not on ANY bar menu -- only 2, Wild Turkey regular and Jim Beam.

Was curious, so I asked him about it.  Yes, they have many fine bourbons onboard. Last night at Aquavit Terrace Bar saw Woodford Reserve, Bulleit, Grand Dad -- reg, Buffalo Trace, Kentucky something.  Asked bartender if these are on the SSBP.  Yes, said anything displayed is available on pkg. and also available at all bars.

Real nice!

Edited by FetaCheese
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

Occasionally enjoy fine bourbons.  Was in Expl Lounge a few days ago, and at next table, overheard another pax order Maker's.  Not on ANY bar menu -- only 2, Wild Turkey regular and Jim Beam.

Was curious, so I asked him about it.  Yes, they have many fine bourbons onboard. Last night at Aquavit Terrace Bar saw Woodford Reserve, Bulleit, Grand Dad -- reg, Buffalo Trace, Kentucky something.  Asked bartender if these are on the SSBP.  Yes, said anything displayed is available on pkg. and also available at all bars.

Real nice!

We had the same experience with the Scotch selections.  Get to know one of the bartenders well and express interest in a certain spirit and they'll share what other brands might be on board during your sailing.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

Also posting room items price list.  I think I'll order 2 tissue boxes, a toothbrush holder, and a soap dish!!

😂 Those are probably the things people walk away with most as "souvenirs".  It shows you how good the binoculars are.

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, buffcurmudgeon said:

Strange room service menu with only one sandwich available!  No club or ham and cheese…

They are usually happy to accommodate you as long as they have the ingredients on hand.  I would just call and ask if they can make you a club sandwich.  I’m sure they will have everything you need.

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Like 1

All on board, 

Our closet door really rattles with the rocking of the ship. Last night was the worst rattling. Here is a solution to stop the rattle. Fold a wash cloth in half and push it between the doors in the middle. If it still rattles, fold over a corner of the wash cloth and wedge that in there. That makes 4 layers. Works like a charm.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1