LIVE from Viking Star-- Hawaiian Islands Sojourn -- 28 Dec. 2023 --13 January 2024

FetaCheese

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Lowcountry_travelers said:

All on board, 

Our closet door really rattles with the rocking of the ship. Last night was the worst rattling. Here is a solution to stop the rattle. Fold a wash cloth in half and push it between the doors in the middle. If it still rattles, fold over a corner of the wash cloth and wedge that in there. That makes 4 layers. Works like a charm.

On our cruise the room steward “fixed” it by using a door stop.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1

On 1/5/2024 at 3:15 AM, Australia08 said:

No root touch-ups?  What does one do on a month long cruise?

Let them come through for a more natural look 

1 hour ago, TwoGoForward said:

Thanks for great info. We are packing for January 13. Never been on Viking. How frequently are you seeing men in sports coats, please? 

Sports coats and Hawaii is oxymoronic 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, TwoGoForward said:

Thanks for great info. We are packing for January 13. Never been on Viking. How frequently are you seeing men in sports coats, please? 

Rarely to Never

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sleep7 said:

Hi FetaCheese!

Thoroughly enjoying your report! Keep up the great work.👏🏻

Hello @Sleep7

Thank you for your kind comments.

2nd Sea day now.  Will soon post what I did yesterday.

Something odd today on ship:  heading eastbound so will lose 2 hours from HNL time to PT.  

Ships clocks moved forward 1 hour at 10 AM.

Thanks for following.

Thanks to V regulars on CC, I learned about ship tours.  The tours are not publicized in Daily.  Have to enquire and sign up at GS, which I did on embarkation day.

Yesterday I participated in 2 tours:  Galley/Laundry, and Engine Control Room.

Galley led by Exec Chef Joseph.  Was informative, as we were led through galley; a chance to see all stations, and speak with staff.

Next part was a Laundry Tour led by Exec Housekeeper Mixson (or Nixon).  Brief overview in Manfredis, the led down to deck B for the tour.  Was most interesting to learn about equipment and the many procedures used to keep all linens, towels, uniforms, crew and guest laundry items cleaned and pressed. Really learned a lot from Housekeeper about the Laundry and his department.  

Of the 2 components, I enjoyed the laundry tour more.

Next tour was the Engine Control Room Tour, led by Chief Engineer Per.  Took us into ECR on Deck A.  A  room a bit smaller than reg cabin.  Wall to Wall Comp monitors and many consoles.  All ship systems, diesel electric motors and engines are monitored by a motorman 24/7.  Didn't realized how complex our cruise ships' systems are.  The Chief Engineer and his men are very intelligent and dedicated to the safety of ship and all aboard.  Answered all questions from us, and not in a hurry to finish.

I highly recommend the ECR tour.  Time well spent.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Thanks to V regulars on CC, I learned about ship tours.  The tours are not publicized in Daily.  Have to enquire and sign up at GS, which I did on embarkation day.

Yesterday I participated in 2 tours:  Galley/Laundry, and Engine Control Room.

Galley led by Exec Chef Joseph.  Was informative, as we were led through galley; a chance to see all stations, and speak with staff.

Next part was a Laundry Tour led by Exec Housekeeper Mixson (or Nixon).  Brief overview in Manfredis, the led down to deck B for the tour.  Was most interesting to learn about equipment and the many procedures used to keep all linens, towels, uniforms, crew and guest laundry items cleaned and pressed. Really learned a lot from Housekeeper about the Laundry and his department.  

Of the 2 components, I enjoyed the laundry tour more.

Next tour was the Engine Control Room Tour, led by Chief Engineer Per.  Took us into ECR on Deck A.  A  room a bit smaller than reg cabin.  Wall to Wall Comp monitors and many consoles.  All ship systems, diesel electric motors and engines are monitored by a motorman 24/7.  Didn't realized how complex our cruise ships' systems are.  The Chief Engineer and his men are very intelligent and dedicated to the safety of ship and all aboard.  Answered all questions from us, and not in a hurry to finish.

I highly recommend the ECR tour.  Time well spent.

Very interesting!  How many people were on each tour do you think.  

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, millybess said:

Estimates only -- didn't count.  Galley/Laundry, about 30,  ECR, around 10.

They do offer multiple same tours, depending on guest demand.

Edited by FetaCheese
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, millybess said:

We are not on the WC, but on the Mars where we had a Bridge Tour this morning (10 passengers) and there are two Kitchen tours scheduled. Today they added a Laundry Tour if enough people sign up. We have 4 sea days in a row, which probably accounts for the extra tours. The Bridge tour this am was the most inclusive we have ever had.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/7/2024 at 11:16 AM, buffcurmudgeon said:

Strange room service menu with only one sandwich available!  No club or ham and cheese…

I was confined to my cabin the final two days and could order anything from the Restaurant menu -- didn't try to order from Manfredi's, but that might have been possible. I don't know whether anyone can order from the non-room-service menu during regular dining hours, but you might want to try. When the food was delivered, often the servers did not seem to realize I was confined.

11 hours ago, TwoGoForward said:

I wear mine about one night in four, usually for Chef's Table. I treat it like a date night with DW.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, wine-wine-wine said:

I wear mine about one night in four, usually for Chef's Table. I treat it like a date night with DW.

One note - I am an exception. Maybe 10-20% of gents wear one. I’ve lived and worked in Silicon Valley for years and tire of the sloppiness. It’s fun to dress up just a little in my Bluff Works machine washable sports coat and my merino wool button down. Non traditional but just a nod to a special night, still comfortable and *not required*. Never a tie on Viking. Sea Cloud Spirit, later this year, will be a bit dressier. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, wine-wine-wine said:

One note - I am an exception. Maybe 10-20% of gents wear one. I’ve lived and worked in Silicon Valley for years and tire of the sloppiness. It’s fun to dress up just a little in my Bluff Works machine washable sports coat and my merino wool button down. Non traditional but just a nod to a special night, still comfortable and *not required*. Never a tie on Viking. Sea Cloud Spirit, later this year, will be a bit dressier. 

Nice.  I'm definitely NOT a "dress up" type of guy, but I added the Bluffworks machine washable sports coat to my "wish list" of travel gear.  Looks nice!  I also have a Merino wool button down ( Western Rise ), which is GREAT for travel. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, farmecologist said:

Nice.  I'm definitely NOT a "dress up" type of guy, but I added the Bluffworks machine washable sports coat to my "wish list" of travel gear.  Looks nice!  I also have a Merino wool button down ( Western Rise ), which is GREAT for travel. 

Good to know about Western Rise, thank you! My current favorites are Wool and Prince. I wear them every day that I have to go into the office physically and also use them for travel.

I've loved everything I've purchased from Bluff Works and wear their chinos to work as well. I'd advise signing up for their marketing list as there are occasionally big sales.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 2:24 PM, FetaCheese said:

Hello @Sleep7

Thank you for your kind comments.

2nd Sea day now.  Will soon post what I did yesterday.

Something odd today on ship:  heading eastbound so will lose 2 hours from HNL time to PT.  

Ships clocks moved forward 1 hour at 10 AM.

Thanks for following.

How are seas now?
JJ

WHAT?  A washable sport coat!

I work for a steakhouse and need to wear a suit jacket or sport coat.  Have you gentlemen had any experience with greasy food spills on these jackets?  As in, do they wash up nicely?

I apologize for the thread drift.

1 hour ago, HUNKY said:

WHAT?  A washable sport coat!

I work for a steakhouse and need to wear a suit jacket or sport coat.  Have you gentlemen had any experience with greasy food spills on these jackets?  As in, do they wash up nicely?

I apologize for the thread drift.

Have never had anything extremely staining but I’ve probably warn this one at least 100 travel days, often through airports, on flights, in various restaurants and it is holding up well.