LIVE from Viking Star-- Hawaiian Islands Sojourn -- 28 Dec. 2023 --13 January 2024

FetaCheese

5 hours ago, jondfk said:

Thanks Feta really appreciated this thread.  We sail Star on February 14, our first with Viking, very much enjoyed your commentary and experience.  

@jondfk

Thank you for your kind comments, and for following along.

You will love the entire staff.  Very kind and engaging.  Most greeted us by name after a few days -- we liked that.  Restaurant Maitre D remembered out seating preference, which was also very nice.

Bar waiter Kadek always knew our drink preferences -- a real nice guy.

Hope you have Captain Magnus -- very personable and visible.  Always had time to chat or answer questions from us or other pax when passing in public areas.  Also, Chief Engineer Per was a knowledge and friendly guy, and also said to ask any questions if you saw him out and about.

Enjoy your cruise !

Edited by FetaCheese

4 hours ago, stretchcruz said:

I sure enjoyed your reports. I did Hawaii and French Polynesia Nov/Dec. You had different CD, Captain , etc. Ours all went on vacation. Thanks for taking the time.

@stretchcruz

Thanks for your kind compliments, and for following along.

Had I not booked Hawaiian Islands Sojourn in June 2023, I would have instead taken your November 2023 French Polynesian/Hawaii 32 night voyage.  V was offering some very nice promotions during summer and fall.

Was your cruise full ?

I heard our CD say we had about 800, but could have been more.  Never felt crowded or waited much in any lines in Restaurants or WC.

Thanks 

Edited by FetaCheese
Addl info

43 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

@stretchcruz

Thanks for your kind compliments, and for following along.

Had I not booked Hawaiian Islands Sojourn in June 2023, I would have instead taken your November 2023 French Polynesian/Hawaii 32 night voyage.  V was offering some very nice promotions during summer and fall.

Was your cruise full ?

I heard our CD say we had about 800, but could have been more.  Never felt crowded or waited much in any lines in Restaurants or WC.

Thanks 

I think 840. But the price took a HUGE dive. People booked a couple of weeks ahead for a heck of a deal.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Hazel52 said:

I have been told you need to purchase the airport transfer 1 month prior to boarding so I suggest not waiting. $49/pp. perhaps Lyft or Uber?

I’m so glad you mentioned this.  I booked my transfer this afternoon—day 31 before departure!  All set.

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

I’m so glad you mentioned this.  I booked my transfer this afternoon—day 31 before departure!  All set.

Honestly I'd do Uber or Lyft. We stood around(literally) outside of the garage in the median for well over half an hour after they rounded up the folks on our bus, which took over half an hour. We would have been there already! I'm underestimating the times. We landed around 9. Onboard after 11?

33 minutes ago, stretchcruz said:

Honestly I'd do Uber or Lyft. We stood around(literally) outside of the garage in the median for well over half an hour after they rounded up the folks on our bus, which took over half an hour. We would have been there already! I'm underestimating the times. We landed around 9. Onboard after 11?

Yes , but we are going the other way it seems. From the ship to LAX.  And the transfer doesn’t have to deal with LAXIT, I don’t think. 

When you get off the ship there are lines of taxis. AND we sat on our assigned bus for 15 minutes after the other buses that loaded after us left. We sat there watching them just doing I don't know what. Got to LAX and had to wait for the big bus to drop off and unload luggage at 2 terminals before ours. I hated it. Did it because it was included. Would I pay for it? No way. I also hate being on big busses with lots of people. I wouldn't pay for it. No way, if I can get a taxi or an Uber.

Edited by stretchcruz
  • Like 1

Right next to the sign for berth 93 there is a ride share area with benches. We got off the ship yesterday morning around 0830, called a Lyft and got home by 0930. I’m sure you can easily get a Lyft or Uber to LAX. Our 36 mile trip was around $55 before tip. 

11 hours ago, stretchcruz said:

When you get off the ship there are lines of taxis. AND we sat on our assigned bus for 15 minutes after the other buses that loaded after us left. We sat there watching them just doing I don't know what. Got to LAX and had to wait for the big bus to drop off and unload luggage at 2 terminals before ours. I hated it. Did it because it was included. Would I pay for it? No way. I also hate being on big busses with lots of people. I wouldn't pay for it. No way, if I can get a taxi or an Uber.

We were on Nov/Dec with you.  Weren't sure what time we be at curb, bags in hand so didn't contact ride share in advance.  Reached benches at 9:10, called LYFT and driver picked us up within 15 minutes.  Watched airport shuttle pull out while waiting.  Later passed it on the highway.  A bit of traffic but reached LAX a little after 10am.  Cost was around $50.  Definitely the way to go. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, stretchcruz said:

I think 840. But the price took a HUGE dive. People booked a couple of weeks ahead for a heck of a deal.

Had 6am coffee regularly in the living room with a guy from California who booked dv two weeks out as a single for $4k including SS bev pkg.  Was very jealous.  Thinking back it made sense ship wasn't full.  33 days including Thanksgiving plus competition from two following 17 day Hawaii sailings and another 33 day Polynesia.  Hard to find that many cruisers over the holidays.  

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

At the request of the OP, I am going to start chronicling our Feb. 14 Hawaiian Sojourn, piggy-backing here.  Let’s see what a difference a month makes. Looking forward to embarking tomorrow morning for our Valentine cruise!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

We took the 10:30 shuttle this morning from the Crowne Plaza to the cruise terminal, berth 93.  We had to wait about 15 minutes in the terminal until they were ready for us.  But we, with comfort checkin,  got to go first ( so there Is a reason to do this now, I guess) and were finished by 11.  Then we had to wait another ten minutes or so, because the ship wasn’t ready for us yet.  We boarded about 11:10, went to the star theater with a group of about 15, had a two minute safety presentation, then went to our cabin to drop off our carryon bags.  We were having lunch on the Aquavit Terrace, under the Vincent Thomas bridge, by 11:45.  So it really was a quick and easy embarkation.  After lunch I made reservations for a bridge tour, a French cooking class, an “old world” wine tasting, and a manicure.  I also was able to book a night for each of the six (!) Chef’s Table menus, all at 7 pm.  So take heart, those with no reservations.  It is easy to do once aboard.  I have tried to attach two photos, including the officers board, which people always ask for, but they are just coming up blank black, so I’ll try again later.  But we have Captain Olav, who was one of our two captains on the 2019 WC.  I’ve Already chatted with him, as we are just down the hall from the bridge.  

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Well, all according to plan, we have an ~6 hour drive to the pier down the Central Valley.  Arrived in the parking lot as planned about 1:30 and we’re onboard by 1:50 including a comfort break.  Really haven’t done anything beyond unpacking (complete) and washing up.  Off to explore momentarily.

I’ll post along here too.

cheers, 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We had a nice sunset sail out from the port of LA last night.  (I’ve tried to add a picture, but it won’t load.  Not much wifi today). Then dinner at  Chef’s Table. It was the California cuisine menu, which I don’t like much anyway (being from California, I’ve learned to stay away from anything labeled California.). Suffice it to say, and this is all I am going to say, it was an absolute disaster, both food and wine.  The service was excellent, however.  But I went to bed hungry.  But we are just back from a big breakfast on this grey morning.  High today 58, low 55.  I really didn’t know what to pack for the days at sea, so if you are heading out soon, pack something other than your “Hawaii clothes”.   Lots of lectures today.  The usual sealife lecture by Robin Petch, then an interesting one on Hawaiian native art.  Taste of USA dinner in WC tonight.  I think we’ll pass and go to the restaurant.