LIVE from Viking Star-- Hawaiian Islands Sojourn -- 28 Dec. 2023 --13 January 2024

FetaCheese

@SantaFe1

If you have time, will you post a photo of Onboard Booking Incentives?  No hurry -- you have lots of sea days!

V is running lots of sale offers, so interested to know if anything is offered for Onboard bookings, and would offers be combinable.

Thanks

16 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

@SantaFe1

If you have time, will you post a photo of Onboard Booking Incentives?  No hurry -- you have lots of sea days!

V is running lots of sale offers, so interested to know if anything is offered for Onboard bookings, and would offers be combinable.

Thanks

I am having a lot of trouble attaching photos.  About one in five works. But I’ll try.  

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

I am having a lot of trouble attaching photos.  About one in five works. But I’ll try.  

Thank you, but please do not spend your valuable vacation time to accommodate my request.

The sea days just sort of glide by.  They are doing all the Hawaiian port talks on sea day afternoons, so once we get there , we will be prepared and not have to rush back to attend the next one (of course you can always watch them later in your room).  Last night was a “special” dinner in the WC called A taste of the USA.  I guess most people thought they had a taste of USA every day, because when we got to the Restaurant about 7 pm it was packed.  They could hardly find a place for us.  Likewise the Captain’s reception last night.  The line to get in was all the way back to Torshavn.  So we skipped it.  We know this captain and have met most of the senior officers anyway.  Then, since HI is two hours behind LA time, we set our clocks back an hour, so had an extra hour to stay up and play.  We will do that again, probably Sunday.  The captain warned us at the noon report that the seas would be rough overnight, eight foot waves, and they were.  But really not that bad, and although our window is covered in water this morning, the sun is coming out.  Bridge tour later, then trivia.  I hope I can attach pictures later today!

• Like 1

I know from reading this board that Viking sailors are passionate and so, no doubt, this my first report will disappoint many.

Embarkation was, as I reported earlier a breeze, but then the key in that particular lock is simple, arrive just a bit later, let 75% of the ship vie to be “first” and breeze straight to your cabin.  Works on Oceania, works on Seabourn and no surprise works on Viking.

We attempted a pre dinner cocktail in Explorers the first night, waited 30 minutes with no service, we tried the Living Room again waiting in excess of 30 minutes after we ordered with no sign of our drinks, a complete fail.

Dinner in the Restaurant was good, service was good though there was a raging debate over the question of which server owned our table, once resolved we received excellent service.

First morning we arrived at the Restaurant about 10 minutes after opening only to be informed it would be a 30 plus minute wait for a table???  Unsurprisingly, with the entire ship redirected to WC every table was occupied when we arrived.  It was suggested that we could take food into the pool area or terrace both of which were, let’s say, brisk.  An epic fail we got us acquainted with the Restaurant manager.  Improvements were promised for future meals, and the rest of day two ran without major glitches, stay tuned for further reports and again very sad to report such gaffes to the Viking loyalists.

We are just stepping out for a try at breakfast again, very much hoping the promised adjustments will be in evidence.

Food quality has been excellent, quantity has been satisfactory for us but might leave some wanting.

More later,

Jon

• Thanks 1

Surprised to hear of Restaurant and Bar disappointments.  On our 28 Dec Star voyage, we encountered none of these issues.  Perhaps new staff/managers etc.  Hope they work out any problems going forward so you will be able to report improvement.

Regarding time zone changes:  From LA to Hawaii, changes were made a 2 am, like normal.  However, on return from Hawaii to Mexico, both time changes were at 10 am -- 10 am became 11 am.  Could not figure out why.  Let us know if your new captain will follow suit.

Did cause some confusion, as a couple who was to join us for dinner one evening, forgot to change clocks, so they did not join us, not wanting to be disruptive to the table.

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

The sea days just sort of glide by.  They are doing all the Hawaiian port talks on sea day afternoons, so once we get there , we will be prepared and not have to rush back to attend the next one (of course you can always watch them later in your room).  Last night was a “special” dinner in the WC called A taste of the USA.  I guess most people thought they had a taste of USA every day, because when we got to the Restaurant about 7 pm it was packed.  They could hardly find a place for us.  Likewise the Captain’s reception last night.  The line to get in was all the way back to Torshavn.  So we skipped it.  We know this captain and have met most of the senior officers anyway.  Then, since HI is two hours behind LA time, we set our clocks back an hour, so had an extra hour to stay up and play.  We will do that again, probably Sunday.  The captain warned us at the noon report that the seas would be rough overnight, eight foot waves, and they were.  But really not that bad, and although our window is covered in water this morning, the sun is coming out.  Bridge tour later, then trivia.  I hope I can attach pictures later today!

Same rough seas night 1 on our 28 December voyage.  Captain Magnus warned us -- and he was correct.  Lasted about 2-3 days.  Not too bad, but needed to hold railings and use care moving about.  Bags were out.  GS has seasickness tabs.

If you have time, will you post a photo of the Officers Display screen.  I think it's on Deck 1 port side, across from Living Room Bar.

Thanks

4 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

On what deck is your stateroom?

2 hours ago, Hanoj said:

On what deck is your stateroom?

6.  Well, the bridge tour was canceled.  A glass door panel in the  WC behind the Aquavit bar blew in this morning, letting in streams of frigid air.  While sitting in Explorers Lounge, on 7  I noticed that the bottom panel on the glass staircase leaning to deck 8 was shattered.  I hope nobody fell.  It is rockin’ and rollin’ for sure today!

Edited by SantaFe1

3 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

6.  Well, the bridge tour was canceled.  A glass door panel in the  WC behind the Aquavit bar blew in this morning, letting in streams of frigid air.  While sitting in Explorers Lounge, on 7  I noticed that the bottom panel on the glass staircase leaning to deck 8 was shattered.  I hope nobody fell.  It is rockin’ and rollin’ for sure today!

The glass panel to which you refer was not broken on your voyage.  Wife noticed it was broken and wrapped on our 28 December 2033 Star cruise.  They haven't replaced it yet.

11 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

The glass panel to which you refer was not broken on your voyage.  Wife noticed it was broken and wrapped on our 28 December 2033 Star cruise.  They haven't replaced it yet.

I am glad to hear that is the case!  But an hour or so ago, it was so bad we took all the glasses and bottles and water carafe and put them on the floor.  I put on my sea bands.  This isn’t the worst I’ve ever been in, but it isn’t pleasant.  We are right in the path of the next tropical storm that is going to hit and flood California on Saturday.  Captain said it would get worse tonight before it gets better.  I took a picture of our position on the weather map, but as usual, it won’t upload.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

I am glad to hear that is the case!  But an hour or so ago, it was so bad we took all the glasses and bottles and water carafe and put them on the floor.  I put on my sea bands.  This isn’t the worst I’ve ever been in, but it isn’t pleasant.  We are right in the path of the next tropical storm that is going to hit and flood California on Saturday.  Captain said it would get worse tonight before it gets better.  I took a picture of our position on the weather map, but as usual, it won’t upload.  

Is it so rough that pax are staying in cabins?  What about staff?  Is Restaurant empty?

Best wishes for an uneventful night.

10 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Is it so rough that pax are staying in cabins?  What about staff?  Is Restaurant empty?

Best wishes for an uneventful night.

We had lunch in WC about 1 and it was packed.  But we sat next to a woman who said her partner wouldn’t even get out of bed today because she didn’t feel she could walk around.  This particular cruise seems to skew older than most cruises I’ve been on.  Many, many people with walking devices of all kinds.  Crew helping folks walk through the restaurants.  Cornelia announcing as much at the lunch time report.  We will go down to the Viking bar at 6 and see what we see.  But no, this isn’t so bad that glasses are flying around in the restaurants.  We just moved the glassware in our room because the shelf with the coffee maker came flying out and sent the coffee cups crashing to the ground.  

• Thanks 1

I’ll respond regarding ship motion which, while not the worst we’ve experienced, is considerable.  We ventured up to Explorers before dinner and found it pleasantly empty, the bar staff had lined the bottle racks with plastic wrap to avoid bottle sliding out.

The Restaurant was gently used last evening, I’d estimate 40% of tables were empty when we finished our meal, we heard many requests for chicken broth.  We had bites of a full meal but the motion sort of sucks the joy out of dining, food however was good and portions large, perhaps trying to move the prepared food.  We were told that room service was swamped.

Motion this morning is clearly down though regular hard “bumps” occur which make walking challenging.

Our coffee shelf started self extending solved by folding a sheet of paper to form a wedge to hold it in.

Cruisemapper shows seas as high with wave heights of 5.8m or about 18 feet.

Edited by jondfk
Added wave height
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

I am glad to,hear that is the case!  But an hour or so ago, it was so bad we took all the glasses and bottles and water carafe and put them on the floor.  I put on my sea bands.  This isn’t the worst I’ve ever been in, but it isn’t pleasant.  We are right in the path of the next tropical storm that is going to,hit and flood California on Saturday.

1 hour ago, jondfk said:

I’ll respond regarding ship motion which, while not the worst we’ve experienced, is considerable.  We ventured up to Explorers before dinner and found it pleasantly empty, the bar staff had lined the bottle racks with plastic wrap to avoid bottle sliding out.

The Restaurant was gently used last evening, I’d estimate 40% of tables were empty when we finished our meal, we heard many requests for chicken broth.  We had bites of a full meal but the motion sort of sucks the joy out of dining, food however was good and portions large, perhaps trying to move the prepared food.  We were told that room service was swamped.

Motion this morning is clearly down though regular hard “bumps” occur which make walking challenging.

Our coffee shelf started self extending solved by folding a sheet of paper to form a wedge to hold it in.

Cruisemapper shows seas as high with wave heights of 5.8m or about 18 feet.

The funniest thing about all this was that when we went to Explorers for our usual pre-dinner drink, I asked for ginger ale and was told they had run out of it!  And same in the WC, maybe 25 % occupied. The captain was walking around last night reassuring people.  I saw him in at least three venues.  One woman asked him why he wasn’t on the bridge steering the ship— a common misconception.  We were back in the room by 8. Almost every door had the do not disturb sign up.  And room service plates in the hall.  Well, today is another day.  Hopefully smoother.  Trivia and Chefs Table lotus menu to look forward to.  And port talk on Maui, which should be interesting. Not having had much dinner, I think we’ll go to the Restaurant for breakfast.  That’s always a treat, and chioppino station for lunch.  Although, as a California girl, I’m wary of that.  Plus, I make it, a Christmas Eve special tradition.  

• Thanks 1

What are you scheduled to do on Maui and when? The weather here was horrible yesterday and is very windy today, although there is sun. Supposed to be windy tomorrow too , but less so later in the week. Any boat tours will be pretty rocky but guess you are getting used to it.

3 hours ago, buffcurmudgeon said:

No cable Tv service or bridge cam.  Mixed blessing, I guess.  Unless it calms down, I am getting room service. I fell last night in dining room, but only hurt my pride!

Sorry to hear about your mis-hap.  When we were on in December/January, our friend fell in WC.  Staff rushed over to help and see if they were ok.  Hope you received same response from staff.

3 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

Sorry to hear about your mis-hap.  When we were on in December/January, our friend fell in WC.  Staff rushed over to help and see if they were ok.  Hope you received same response from staff.

Staff people helped me to my table right away and I assured them I was ok.  8 meter waves for 24 hours haven’t helped.  The sea can be a cruel mistress.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1